Past Chapter 11

Passerby

Eyes couldn’t lie to its viewer and so heart couldn’t lie to its owner.

 

Siwon listened to Jessica’s story telling yet vague by it as he focused his gaze on the figure seated afar on a different table. Just a while ago he came back from the restroom and met Kyuhyun by accident. He knew it was Kyuhyun from the first place since he get to saw his face reflected in the mirror clearly before Kyuhyun got to lowered his head down to escape from his sight. Why did the latter act like that? When usually Kyuhyun would be the one who greet him cheerfully, one thing that he realized was that the latter doesn’t look well. He looked worn out and tired.

He wondered about the boy, he wanted to see him and God answered his prayers. But why by such encounter?

What’s more, what was with the bruises on Kyuhyun’s face? Did he get into a fight at school? Who did those to him? Jessica’s voice becomes inaudible as he focused his gaze on Kyuhyun. The latter ducks his head down as he listened to his friend speaking beside him. From afar he was aware that the latter wasn’t feeling well. That was when he finally caught Kyuhyun’s gaze on him.

That was also when Kyuhyun faced away and move his body to leave from the café. That moment happened after they shared a short staring contest.

Such gaze he sadly couldn’t comprehend very well.

“Wait.” Siwon muttered and leave from his spot, legs catching up to Kyuhyun’s figure that already left the café’ not some a while ago. When his eyes finally found Kyuhyun’s back view, he grabbed the latter’s arm and called his name. When he realized it wasn’t Kyuhyun, he instantly dropped the arm and mutters an apology. It seemed like Kyuhyun disappeared into the city’s crowds although by this time they were less people around. Sighing in disappointment, he walks back to the café and returns to his spot with Jessica waiting, a smile plastered on her face.

“Oppa.” Jessica called, “Let’s go home. I’m sleepy.”

After they paid for the bill, they straightly return to their perspective homes without exchanging words. Siwon too, he doesn’t feel like spilling any words or sentences after seeing his friend’s condition. He hoped the boy would recover soon as he knew how those bruises felt like. Over the past several years as he tries to overcome the fighting habit, he knew it very well that if he were to receive them again it would be another numb bruise.

“Where have you been?” Siwon’s mother asked as she caresses her jewelry that wrapped her neck. “It’s nearly late.”

“Hanging out with Jessica.” Siwon answered casually without having to bother looking at her.

“Could it be that you two are dating?” There’s a light in Mrs. Choi’s tone. But Siwon is ready to brush the light with his next statement.

“We’re not, mother.” Siwon stated.

“Hmm…Hanging out with anyone, you should at least inform any of your family members.” Mrs. Choi said in discontent. “You’re not going around freely like a fish in the ocean after your father got into a car accident.”

“I’m surprised that you actually taken interest in what I was doing.” Siwon replied calmly, slightly smiling at the lady in red.

“Let’s have a dinner together before visiting your father.”

Siwon and his mother ate dinner in silence. He didn’t have the appetite to empty the bowl of rice with few prepared dishes. Kyuhyun’s face that he saw at the café made him to swim in deep thought. His worry towards the boy is growing, he did not know why until he felt a tug on his chest that made him to drop the spoon back to the table.

“How’s your school today?” Mrs. Choi asked.

“Good.”

“How about the lessons?”

“They’re fine.”

“I’d like to see your improvement in next month’s PTA…Anyway, what I heard lately…you’ve been taking the bus to school…” Siwon arched his eyebrows at his mother’s statement. How did she know? Siwon thought. Perhaps Jessica told her everything he has been doing lately. They were like a real mother and daughter. Anyone who sees them during the Jung and Choi family business gathering must’ve think they’re real mother and daughter, or that Jessica is soon to be Choi’s daughter-in-law. Once they’re together no one could separate them. “It’s a foul image for our family in people’s eyes. I don’t like that. Let the driver do their job to fetch you.”

“It’s my doing, mother. I never care of what people think.” Siwon sighs, forcing a smile. He knows she would never be pleased in whatever he does.

“People see everything that this family does Siwon.”

“I’m not taking part in this Choi family business. It was never my job to do so.”

“How could you say that? Choi Siwon, you’re the heir of this family.” Mrs. Choi claimed. “You’d do anything to make proud of this family.”

“I’m not, mother. Heechul hyung is.” Siwon finally said. Family inheritance and business, it was all they could talk about every time they’re in each other’s presence. But not for Siwon, he has never taken interest in any of them. Silence completely surrounds the living room. Mrs. Choi drops back the spoon in her grip on the table and stands up from her place. She did not give her son either a guilty glance or another motherly glance before leaving the dinning room. Siwon watch the lady’s figure walking to her room right after she told the house assistant to get the car ready since they’re going to visit father soon.

Precisely, they were not in good terms.

Still seated in the place, Siwon silently prayed for that day to come when he and his mother got back in terms. He won’t wait as he believed that day would eventually come by itself.

Along the way to the hospital they barely spoke a word.

Siwon and Mrs. Choi got out from the car and walks inside the hospital lobby. They knew they would receive stares from people but too much as they expected. Thankfully they have their mother’s personal assistant to guide and protect them from unwanted situations. Mrs. Choi didn’t get many stares as her son. At that short moment people were able to admire the tall handsome figure that never appeared in the television together with his parents. Many speculations will soon to be created within the media and shortly right after that moment, loads of question might possibly appear regarding the tall’s presence walking along with the wife of Mr. Choi who owns the second biggest company in Korea.

They stopped upon arriving in front of the elevator. Siwon looked at the watch before gazing his surroundings. Just then he remembers something. “Ah…”

“What’s wrong young master?”

“Where’s the car key?” Right after then the personal assistant give Siwon the car key. “I left Heechul’s hyung book in the car. Please go ahead.” Siwon said before walking back to the lobby towards the parking lot. He shouldn’t care but the stares the people gave him made him quite uncomfortable. He should be back soon to the seventh floor before the crowd starts. He unlocks the car and takes the book left in the back seat.

 

 

“How long are you going to stand there?”

“…”

Heechul sighs in annoyance and clicked his tongue.

“Those flowers, I’m throwing them after you leave.” He said but the man still didn’t utter anything.

“…”

“Don’t give him flowers anymore.” Heechul speaks, tired eyes looking up to the ceiling and head rested on the couch’s headrest. His left hand fingers are tapping against his lap as a signal of currently contemplating. “Father doesn’t like flowers.” He scoffed as he got no reply from the latter standing near his father’s hospital bed not far from where he’s seated. “You call yourself a friend and yet you don’t even know that.”

“I’m just doing what I could do in someone’s place.” The man in blue coat said, eyes calmly looking at Heechul’s father sleeping figure.

“Saying useless things as an excuse…” Heechul sat straightly. “Don’t make me laugh.”

“I’ll be visiting regularly until your father gets better.”

“You’re joking, right? How old are you?” Heechul spat, “I don’t like someone who I don’t know speaks informally to me. Did you parents teach you manners?”

“Twenty three. They did earlier before they died.” The man said and Heechul slightly widen his eyes. Shoot. He should learn how to stop being rude to people he don’t know. How could he ask such sensitive question? And how come the latter speaks normally of it as if it was nothing? No, the man may look friendly outside but inside he may be someone who has been through a lot.

Typically said, you can’t judge a book from its cover.

“Are we the same age then?” The man asked and Heechul just give a shrug. “Cool.”

Heechul sighs, feeling guilty and sorry but somehow he’s too diffident to apologize. “Whatever.”

The man takes his seat oppositely from Heechul. “You…”

Heechul raised one of his eyebrows also fold his arms as well as his legs. The man gives a chuckle which sounds like a little boy around the age of five years old. “What’s so funny?”

The man just smiled.

“What?” Heechul cuts.

“You have his traits, at the very least.”

“I’m his son. And I look like him.” Heechul rolled his eyes and scoffed. “Even though not that much alike, I do still have his traits.”

The man looks away then nervously plays with his fingers. Heechul got this feeling that the man wasn’t any normal friend his father has out there. He is different. One thing that made it different is that the between his father and this man were far to be thought about. The man looks really young. But when Heechul tries to compare himself with the man, of course he still looks younger and good looking. It could be that the man is from a wealthy family that soon to be working under their family company, Heechul thought. Or it could be that his father has a friend and that friend has a child which is the person that’s seated oppositely from him now, he thought once more.

Heechul faked a cough. “You should leave soon before my family gets here. You don’t want them to have any question marks regarding your presence here. Less than company’s people know about father’s condition.”

“...”

“What? Too rude for you mister no-name?” Heechul asked and the man shook his head in denial. “I’m not begging you to be understanding, it’s up to you.”

The man nods and takes a notepad, writing down his contact number. “I can’t be here like you everyday, Heechul-ssi. I’ll come to pay a visit whenever I have time…Please… do inform me when your father wake up. Thank you.” Heechul just nod and probably that answer is good enough for the person in front of him, to leave the place right away as he was told. There are lots of things he’d like to ask. However, something he noticed not so late away made him to swallow down every one of them. He couldn’t stare at the man in disbelief. He couldn’t just throw him out of the room.

“Leave, now.”

That moment when he realized he hasn’t given him a proper introduction yet the man knows his name…

Just how much does the man know about the family? He couldn’t take off his suspicious stare until the figure leaves the room. The sliding door slammed quietly as if no one really left. The air conditioned room gives his whole body a shiver that he takes the cardigan rested on the coat hanger and wears them to keep his body warm. He could finally relax his muscle and sighs in exhaustion. Too much thinking made him a little bit lightheaded.

His eyes reach down to the small yellow note on top of the small rectangular table. Clicking his tongue, he takes and tears the note in half, crumpling them hard in fist. Like hell he would inform the man when his father wakes up. The cold air stings his chest. He sure needed some fresh air and little bit taste of a warm cup of coffee from the vending machine nearby. Standing up, not forgetting what he said that he would throw the flower from the vase after the man leaves the room. Together with crumpled torn paper, he throws them in to the trash and walks out of the room.

Heechul hums as he walks towards the vending machine not far from his father’s room. There weren’t many people walking around since the floor that he’s standing in is designed for VIP patients. You could only see few patients in wheelchair with a nurse or obviously doctors walking around to do their duty, checking their patients. Arrived in front of a vending machine, he inserts a coin and chooses whatever taste of coffee that he knows would suit his mood.

He takes the small cup of coffee and takes a sip. The liquid was too hot for his tongue that he had to blow it. He positioned himself not far from the vending machine and gives the television ahead a stare. After looking at it for some while, the show somehow didn’t interest him. He looks to the right and found no one in sight. As much as he likes a peaceful surrounding, when he sees such view it someway made him to wish for as a minimum, to see a small bit of a lively scene.

Perchance, his wish will soon come true.

A familiar shout made him turn to the left side.

He holds his breath. It was the side view of his mother. Whenever his mother got mad, he would see her talk in strict manner especially to her sons. But for this, he never saw his mother like that before. To his surprise too, he caught the figure of that man in blue coat facing his mother. So they knew each other? Heechul looks down and shook his head. No, of course they know each other, that man is his father’s friend. What were the two doing? Why was his mother so in rage towards him? He turns his head towards them again.

Heechul sees the man replying to her statement from the movement of his lips but he couldn’t hear anything he said. His mother take cashes of money from her wallet and throw it hard towards the man. But the man didn’t move an inch as he looked down on their feet. “What? It’s not enough!? You want more?!” His mother scoffed and takes a few money left from her wallet, throw it once again to the man.

Heechul couldn’t deem what he sees.

The man raised his head and says something again, that almost certainly triggered his mother.

Because not long before the man finished his sentence, in a flash his mother’s hand lands hard on the man’s cheek. That made Heechul widened his eyes and had the urge to approach them but he couldn’t move his legs. Heechul was expecting her personal assistant to try stopping her but he just stood there impassively. He could feel his legs slightly weak. He was too astounded by what he just witnessed. It was neither his problem nor his business to begin and stop with. It’s funny that he’s okay with his mother’s cold treatment but could less agree seeing his mother’s harsh treatment towards a person on public.

He left his position empty and walk back towards his father’s room. With blank thoughts he’s now back in the air conditioned room. Seated in the couch he sighs in exhaustion like how he did before he left the room.

Unless they done something hideous.

No person should ever be treated like that.

 

 

Siwon locks the car and walks back inside to the elevator direction.

When the elevator opens, Siwon walks in and stand still as he waits for the elevator to go up to the seventh floor. The elevator releases a ding and Siwon straightly walks out of the elevator not realizing there’s a person ahead waiting for the elevator, he bumps the man out of intention. The man did apologized first, along with sobbing between his statements. That made Siwon a little bit perplexed. Did he possibly bump the man too hard? Even though he didn’t feel like he bumped him that hard. It was a coincidence so what to expect? Siwon apologized shortly after the man rushed inside the elevator. He half turned and glance at the man again to see him wiping the seemingly endless tears from his eyes while rapidly tapping on the floor button.

People sure got diverse kind of situations in their life. Sad or happy that is. We get to experience different kinds of emotion every second and minute in our lifetime. Not wanting to have many thoughts about it he continues his steps towards his father’s hospital room.

Once he gets inside, he saw his brother seated on the couch in straight position while looking at their father’s sleeping figure. “Hyung.” Heechul seemed spaced out. If he didn’t call him by chance, would Heechul realize that he had arrived?

“Oh, Siwon ah.” Heechul called and gives a short smile.

Siwon gives his brother the book. “How’s father hyung? Any improvements?”

“He hasn’t showed any signs of waking up…We need to wait until he’s awake.” Heechul takes the book after he finished his sentence.

“Alright…” Siwon take a glance at his brother. ““Hyung.”

“Hmm?”

“Where’s mother?” Siwon asked, “I came with her—“

“She came for a short visit and left before you arrived here.” Heechul lied.

“Oh…”

“I’ll drive you home later.” Heechul said, still looking straight. “You’re here late. Why?”

“It’s Jessica’s birthday today.” Siwon take a seat beside his brother. “She wanted to hangout with me on her birthday, so we did.”

“What did you give her?” Heechul asked, curious.

“Sweater.” Siwon answered.

“Hmm… You’re slowly approving her eh?” Heechul teased amusingly. “I bet she’s flying in her dream now, of happiness. I still won’t bet her on you.”

“As if.” Siwon brushed what his brother just said. “She’s like my own sister hyung, aside from Jiwon.”

“I’m not wishing a happy birthday for her.” Heechul shrugs.

“I’ll send your regards next time.” Siwon smiles, deep down he knows his brother treat her as her younger sister too despite her childish tantrums, he yet to know the truth behind his brother’s discontentment towards the girl.

“Rather than that I better send my regards to your new friend.” The image of Kyuhyun pops in his mind again. “How’s that boy? Still hanging with you?”

“Yeah.” Siwon stated calmly, “We’re friends.”

“I like that. He seemed like a person who care for a family and friend most. As your brother I know you don’t have any friends. When you brought him to our guest house that night, I was quite surprised. Rather than confused I feel happy for you. Finally aside from the family you have a real friend by your side. One thing, don’t ever feel disappointed because you only have one. One friend is never less when you always feel complete with their presence.” Heechul finished and he ruffles Siwon’s hair messily. “Got it?”

“Yes.” Siwon said. “Thanks hyung.”

“Invite him for a lunch next time.”

Siwon nods, “Jiwon got his number.”

“Our Jiwonnie?” Heechul’s tone depicted that he’s impressed. “What did she do?”

“Jiwon just asked for it.”

“And you?” Heechul asked. When he got no answer from Siwon he laughs. “Yah, how did you contact him after school?”

“We see each other in the bus, every morning and after school.” Siwon said and Heechul had to restrain himself hard from hitting his brother’s head.

“This kid—what the hell? Aish—this is not 70’s!”

“I’m…comfortable with that.” Siwon tells the truth while Heechul keeps on blabber and teases him. He could hear his brother’s incoherent talks as his thoughts are everywhere. He’s at ease whenever he gets to see Kyuhyun and talks with the latter. However, today was a different day. It wasn’t like he’s not at ease when he sees Kyuhyun in that condition. Those scars on his face…He worries for the latter and thought whether the latter gets home safely. He has the slightest hope for the latter to tell him what had happened tomorrow.

 

 

Kyuhyun wakes up and immediately feel a sting from the scars on his face. Looking out the window the dark view tells him he didn’t sleep that long since he got back from the café. He hissed in pain and drags his legs downstairs to see the time. It was merely eleven o’clock near midnight.

“I’m hungry…” Kyuhyun murmurs and walk to the kitchen to take out whatever food exist in the fridge. He got a box of beef, a box of stir fried vegetables and two boxes of cucumber kimchi. Still in sleepy mode he takes a pan to fry the marinated beef and reheat the stir fried vegetables. Before he turns on the stove, a hand came to take the pan away and shoves him to the side.

“Wait in the table. I’ll make them for you.” Ryeowook said. “I don’t want you burning the kitchen.”

“Ah— I’m really hungry!” Kyuhyun yawned, “Thanks hyung. When did you come home?”

“I was sleeping in my room after coming home from work.” Ryeowook said.

“Really…?” Kyuhyun lean against the fridge, looking at his brother pouring the oil on the pan. “I came home after school, but you’re not home hyung. That’s why I went out with my friends, only for a while. Let me guess…Were you out drinking with your colleagues again?”

“If yes? You got problems with that?” Ryeowook scoffed. “I’m an adult!”

“Nope.” Kyuhyun laughs then pouts. “Hey, are you mad because I asked that?”

“Why would I?” Ryeowook asked as he stirs the beef with chopsticks, “You’re too curious with adult’s world.”

“Alright, alright!” Kyuhyun turns around to sit on the chair, resting his arms on the table. “I won’t talk till you finish the cooking.” He feels bad for slightly making Ryeowook mad. The other looks tired, Kyuhyun could see it from his brother’s eyes. On balance, Ryeowook is the one who works and support the family’s living expenses. In exchange for that, sometimes Kyuhyun thought of the things that could make his brother happy. Fortunately, lots of things could give the older happiness.

Once when he got home from school and informed Ryeowook that he got a scholarship for a year since he’s in the first rank for the second semester, Ryeowook cried and try lifting him up like a father who’s trying to make their child fly in the air. That very next day Ryeowook cook loads of dishes and make Kyuhyun gobble most of them till he couldn’t stand from his place.

After a worth of waiting, Ryeowook finished preparing the food for his little brother. Kyuhyun thanked his brother like usual and start gobbling down the food. Ryeowook take his seat on the left side to give his brother a company but after a short stare he’s taken aback by the scars on Kyuhyun’s face.

“What happened to your face?” Ryeowook asked calmly. He may be in panic but at night like this there’s no time to be expressive. “Did you get into fight?”

“Oh this?” Kyuhyun pointed at his scars and laughs them off. “Well, sort of. It’s not really a fight hyung. That guy launched at me when I was protecting Sooyoung. We made up in the end. I got the punishment to clean the toilet for a whole week, and so do he.”

“Whatever happened, don’t get involved into fights anymore.” Ryeowook tells his brother as he’s not in mood into lecturing mode. “Did you fight back?” Kyuhyun shook his head and receive a pat on the shoulder. “Sometimes it’s good to fight back, sometimes its good too not to fight back.”

“Yes hyung.” Kyuhyun nods.

“Don’t forget to put ointment on your scars before sleeping.” Ryeowook reminds. There may only be the two of them in the house, without their mother and father. However, Kyuhyun still feel grateful to have a brother like Ryeowook. For him, Ryeowook is his brother, best friend, and sometimes a parent. “I don’t want to see you staying all night playing Starcraft. Tomorrow you have school so you have to sleep early.”

Kyuhyun cursed mentally that he got caught earlier than he thought. He refrained himself from clicking his tongue, instead he heaves a sigh, “Yes hyung, I know. I’m not a baby anymore.”

“Who else is going to remind you?” Ryeowook replied.

“You, hyung.” Kyuhyun answered naively. The room that fills with their chatter stopped when they heard the house phone rings. The ringing sound made Ryeowook reflexively answer whoever calls behind. Not so long then Kyuhyun heard Ryeowook’s voice engaging in the so looking private conversation. After Kyuhyun finishes his meal, he mouthed to ask who made a call so late which Ryeowook mouthed back, Yesung.

“Yeah, sleep tight. Sweet dreams, love you too.” Ryeowook finishes the call and return to his seat. “I can’t believe he made a call so late just to say that he missed me…That silly guy.” He scoffed shyly.

“The next time he calls again when you’re sleeping, I’m not going to answer that for you.” Kyuhyun rolls his eyes and bring the empty bowls to the kitchen sink. He starts to tease his brother as while washing the dishes. “Lovey-dovey my —“

“Language, Cho Kyuhyun.” Ryeowook chuckled as he blushed. “That happens when you’re dating. It’s normal. One day you’re going to feel what in love is like.”

Kyuhyun dried his hands with kitchen towels and stood still. He had to make sure what he heard was right. If the talk goes on it will lead to one palpable topic. He never falls in love nor interested in anyone before. He doesn’t know what in love feels like. He doesn’t know how it feels to be attracted to someone. But why would it be that out of all? It wasn’t like he’s going to blame Yesung for the cause of such topic the next time he met him. Ridiculous to say, heck, the guy doesn’t even know how he feels right now. He doesn’t know why his heart is pounding hard but he knows a thing why he feels nervous.

“You always seek to see them. At random times you wonder what they’re doing. You think of them. You feel happy when you see them. Sometimes things they say or done could make your heart beats fast… At certain times you’ll feel jealous when they give a better treatment to someone other than you…It’s funny that I think about it now… But… That one person who brings you the warmest comfort is…“ Ryeowook’s voice no longer audible for his ears as the images of him and Siwon spending time together appears.

It brought him to that first time when he was mesmerized by Siwon and took a few pictures of him. To that time again when he felt a tinge spark of happiness when Siwon gave him a bicycle ride and show him the most beautiful view of the year. They spent their time mostly at the bus. Meeting in the morning and late afternoon after school dismissed. The bus ride never felt empty with him around. Even though all they do is talk and play together, it was never boring for him.

Flashing back to the times when Siwon done several things for him. Like giving back his mother’s cassette tape, saving him from a drunkard, giving back his umbrella and bag, saving him from the forest at night. Those simple things actually gave him indescribable feeling.

Particularly when the time his body moves reflexively to give Siwon a comforting hug. He couldn’t dare to move just one inch because he wasn’t able to control the beats.

But all that he did to comfort Siwon was because he is his good friend, right?

He was the first person to start befriending Siwon.

However…

What if he already felt everything what his brother said? Does that mean he fell for Siwon?

“Let’s quit the talk.” Kyuhyun said as he walks toward his room, not wanting to reveal the hint of nervous from his voice. “I’m sleepy. Good night.” He got inside his room before he heard his brother’s reply. He turns off the light and jumps to his bed, engulfing himself in the thick blanket and closes his eyes to sleep. Turning to the left side and turning to the right side. He tries to get off from the thick blanket. In this condition, he wasn’t sure whether he could sleep. Not long after he kicks the blanket away and runs to the bathroom.

He splashes his face with cold water and rubs his face a few times before looking into his own reflection.

“Siwon…”

The mirror ahead shows his flushed face.

 

“Did I…Really fell for him?”