Past Chapter 10

Passerby

“Say it again.”

 

The loud challenging voice echoes through the hall. It stings his ears although Kyuhyun didn’t flinch by the sound instead. He stands still and continues to give the angry looking senior standing tall in front of him a defensive stare. Just like in typical school, whenever there are fights between students, others would stop their activities to take a look on what’s going on and a crowd of students circling the scene will be formed.

Unfortunately on that bright day, Kyuhyun doesn’t discern that his normal day would turn out like that.

Getting involved in such stuff is so not him.

It all started when Kyuhyun and Sooyoung were out for break. They were out from their class going to the teacher’s office to fetch the teacher’s belongings such as laptop and test papers to their class for the next class after break since today is their turn to hold the duty roster. Together with Minho and Changmin too however Kyuhyun and Sooyoung decided to be the ones to go downstairs to get a hold of the belongings because the two other were busy.

Both were chatting serenely when they were on their way back to the class. Not even trying to guess it was calm before storm. Kyuhyun on the other side rapidly noticed one of the male seniors purposely walk past Sooyoung and didn’t miss a chance to make her fall. The test papers that were held in her arms were scattered messily on the floor. What’s more, Sooyoung fell hard until the hard floor bruised her legs.

The senior group laughed at her and even trying to look as if they unintentionally stepped on their test papers, making them marked with dirty shoe prints.

After inaudibly helping Sooyoung to get up on shoes, Kyuhyun demanded an apology but they refused and begun to insult and blaming them for not looking around when they walked. Hence that becomes the opening scene of another school drama on the second floor near their class.

“Ahh— it’s a waste that people admired you guys. Turns out they admired nothing but people with hideous attitude.” Kyuhyun spat softly which he didn’t grasp since he was pissed off. Those words really do offend the older ahead of him. “You’re just a group with bunch of arrogant members—aren’t you ashamed of yourself?”

“You ing crazy —“ The guy who seemed to be the leader of the group swears loudly at him before landing a fist on Kyuhyun’s cheek, one really hard punch that made Kyuhyun’s body and neck tremble. Before he gets to balance his body, out of blue he receives another hasty firm punch on the face that made him to finally lose his balance and fall. “Where are your respects?! Did your parents didn’t taught you how to respect people huh?! To ing speak like that to us, who the ing hell do you think you are?!”

“Kyuhyun oppa!” Sooyoung cried as she held Kyuhyun from behind. “I’m okay, lets just go and leave them. Let’s go back to class, okay?”

“Aww, what a sweet couple,” The guy lets out a mocking laugh. “You heard what your sweet girlfriend said?”

“Sooyoung…They should know their place too. They humiliated you.” Kyuhyun sighed. “I just don’t like it when a guy like him hurt one of my friends. This is where you learn to stand for yourself too. I won’t let them go until they apologize to you.”

“B-but Kyu—“

“Aish— Quit the talk! I’m not going to waste my time on a guy like you! Now move out of my way!” The guy then roughly hold Kyuhyun’s collar. Is this going to be a fight Kyuhyun never wished to happen? Especially at school?! Suddenly he remembered when a drunkard tried to disturb him, whereas Siwon came at the right time and saved him. Each time he was in trouble Siwon was there to save him. But now that he’s in the school, Siwon is not there with him.

 

What should he do? Should he use more words to defend himself? He’s never fond of fighting and if he were asked to fight back, he couldn’t. He was never a member of taekwondo or whatever group of martial arts you call that.

 

“We were not at fault so I asked for an apology. Was it wrong for you to do so? It’s your mistake.” Kyuhyun hissed in pain and wiped the blood on the edge of his lips with the back of his hands. Oh god, I never thought it would turn out like this… He said mentally. “I clearly saw it with my two clear eyes that you guys were doing that to her on purpose? So it was plotted right? Even laughing behind after you did that. Just what do you want from us? And just so you know, apologizing for your mistake won’t throw your pride away, just reminding, in case a senior like you didn’t learn that fact.”

The guy’s face turn red furious and raise his fist to give another punch. Kyuhyun is prepared for another one that he closes his eyes tightly but fortunately it didn’t happen. Did he black out and the pain becomes numb? He tried opening his eyes and smirked when he felt the hand that was holding his collar trembles and loosens. As he waits for the other to speak, he receives a smack on his head while the other receives it too. The guy then at once releases his grip from Kyuhyun’s collar.

“Y-Yunho seonsaengnim…”

“What’s with the crowd? Everyone, please go back to your class. Come on high school children, bell almost ring!” Yunho said with a charming smile and the crowds immediately faded away, including the friends of the student who gave Kyuhyun two hard punches. The teacher sighed and gives the two students a warning look. “Let’s talk in the office.”

In the office the three of them stand side by side with Yunho seated in front of them. They are soon interrogated and asked of what really had happened. Sooyoung falls on her knees when she tells Yunho about it because she was scared and still reminded of the scene when she saw the other punched Kyuhyun hard on the face. Kyuhyun fixed his necktie and give his own neck a soft massage while the bully just stood there with a slight of guilty expression on his face.

“Jung Kyungho-ssi, you’re a high school student. How many times do I have to tell you this— School is not a boxing place. It’s not a place for you to land your fist freely on students. You’re in your last year of high school. You will graduate in five months. You know that fighting and bullying, even harassing another student is wrong, is that right?”

“Isn’t it the time for you to focus on your studies? Do things that make memory in school while you last here, with your friends. Good memories do bring good luck, I’m telling you. “ Yunho lectures the boy patiently. “Especially that you injured two people… Look, you made a high school student cry—Excuse me Kyungho-ssi, are you listening to me?”

“Yes, sir.” Kyungho nods slowly. Funny for Kyuhyun who’s trying to hold his laughter to witness a bully becomes soft in front of their teacher. “I’m listening.”

“Cho Kyuhyun-ssi, a few times you were in trouble too with your friends because of some prank you guys did but…I always knew you’re a good student by heart. It’s good that you are defending your friend.” Yunho compliments, “That’s really brave of you. You didn’t fight back as well. Still, I won’t only punish Kyungho-ssi. I will give you a punishment too because the two of you are involved in this crowd-making situation. Pardon me of that, this school is really strict is it?”

“Alright sir.” Kyuhyun sighed quietly. He too realized his mistake of talking back and creating a crowd.

“Then, your punishment is to clean the school’s toilet form the first to third floor together, right after school for a week straight. Starting from today, can you two do that?” Yunho asked, talking as if the punishment he mentioned was nothing than just a mere punishment.

“Seonsaengnim…Isn’t that too heavy for them?” Sooyoung concerned.

“It is the lightest punishment I could give.” Yunho smiled.

“I will take the punishment, together with Kyungho-ssi.” Kyuhyun nodded followed by Kyungho.

“Ahh and Kyungho, see me after school before you do your punishment. Is that clear?” Yunho pointed.

“Yes, sir.” They bowed altogether after being dismissed and leave the teacher’s office to walk to their perspective classes.

“To you guys…” Kyungho paused, “I’m sorry about that earlier. To Kyuhyun-ssi for the fight and especially for Sooyoungg-sii, for making you purposely fall. Please accept my apology, and the sorry in behalf of my friends.” He finished before bowing. Kyuhyun didn’t expect that to happen but nevertheless as long as Kyungho apologize it will be a relief for Sooyoung. Kyuhyun has always been an easy forgiver. He doesn’t know where he got that trait, even before the fight ended on the within he already forgiven the older.

“Y-yes!” Sooyoung bowed too, “It’s okay sunbae, I already forgiven you."

“Legs… Are your legs still hurt?” Kyungho asked.

“I-Its not…I mean it doesn’t hurt. It’s okay.” Sooyoung answered hesitantly.

Kyuhyun smile in relief, “I’m sorry for talking back too. Also, the punches were never a matter for me. But that was two punches there!” He said while touching the edge of his bruised lips and hissed.

“Aish— Blame it for your sharp tongue boy!” Kyungho chuckled. “My fist just moved— I’m still sorry about that.”

“Actually…I’m never fond of seeing my friend being treated like that, especially to someone whom I already thought as my sister.” He paused and ruffles Sooyoung’s hair. “She’s a cry baby so I had to be extra careful to her. And… Please refrain yourself from making the same mistake sunbae, whether to my friends and other students too.”

“She’s a younger sister to you huh…” Kyungho murmurs and sighed, “Refraining myself from getting into more trouble—you’re right…I guess I really need to stop these since I’ll be graduating soon. Anyway! It’s still five months left. I guess we’ll be stuck for the week eh?”

“Toilet cleaning… As expected from Yunho seonsaengnim.” Kyuhyun laughed quietly.

“He’s handsome and everyone admired him… I never know he could be that cruel.” Sooyoung said. “I wish I could help you guys.”

“A girl like you shouldn’t be seen cleaning the school’s toilet.” Kyungho said calmly and jerk his head to Kyuhyun. “You brother wouldn’t want that either right?”

‘It’s not fair! I was at the scene too!” Sooyoung defended herself, “I was there with you guys when the crowd started… Be-because Kyungho sunbae— I’m sorry but I still want to help!”

“Stop being like this when you’re at no fault.” Kyuhyun sighed and finally take a halt beside Kyungho’s classroom. “Sunbae, your class.”

“Right.” Kyungho halted too. “Junior…I mean…Kyuhyun. Aish why do I sounded like that…I didn’t mean to bring this up again. When you mentioned about pride…That time it wasn’t because I refused to say sorry… It’s because…”

“I understand.” Kyuhyun cuts, “ The word ‘Sorry’ is not to be said easily. I get that because people tend to say them easily like any other words. It’s simple and easy by only saying sorry and everything is settled. If it wasn’t from the commitment and the bottom of ourselves, the word ‘sorry’ will be nothing, isn’t it?”

“If we really committed a mistake and understand what we did then apologize, it’s never wrong to say sorry as long as we know our mistake and commit not to do the same again to that person. That’s the true sorry for me.” Kyungho raised his eyebrows at the words while Kyuhyun continue to talk. “I’m talking too much. You better head back to your class sunbae.”

“What about you guys?”

“We’ll be heading to the infirmary.”

“About what you said, you’re right.” Kyungho turn to face his classroom and give them a wave. “Thanks Kyuhyun. Call me by ‘hyung’ next time! Take care, juniors.”

After the visit to the infirmary, the two head back to their class. Unsurprisingly they receive a whispers and surprised reaction from the classmates specially their circle friends who doesn’t know a thing at all. Kyuhyun had this transparently looking, but not too transparent either blue-greenish mark on the left side of his upper cheek and a red bruise on the edge of his lips from the punch earlier, while Sooyoung had a bandage on her legs from the fall. Still, they decide its best to continue to class normally until the school’s dismissed.

 

 

“What the heck happened to you both?!” Jonghyun panicked as he checked Kyuhyun’s bruised face. Minho and Changmin joined too. Kyuhyun pushed them away because their faces were to near and jerked back to his seat, almost falling back.

“Did you got involved in a fight?” Changmin asked loudly, gaining attentions from their classmates who are fixing their stationary and books.

“Kyu, your face…” Minho commented as he squint his eyes from the sight. “That looks painful.

“Please stop exaggerating guys. It was the crowd was it? A while ago I walked past the crowds during break. Didn’t saw that it was you guys…” Jonghyun sighed.

“Somewhat— just a small argument but we’re okay guys, it was nothing.” Kyuhyun sighed, smiling then turn across right to see Sooyoung. “Right Soo…Young….”

“Oh, okay you said?” Changmin scoffed as Sooyoung started crying again. Thankfully Jessica was there to coax the girl. “This is okay? She’s crying now and you said okay?! Yah—You— Did you get to look at your face?” Changmin take a small mirror that is hanged on the class’s wall for students to see themselves and face it towards Kyuhyun. “Look at your face.”

“Ahh…” Now Kyuhyun understand what made to cry like that and what made his friends to be that exaggerated. In his opinion, his own bruises weren’t that bad either. The bruise on his lips reminded him of the bruise that Siwon have after he came to rescue him from a crazy drunkard. He heaves a sigh, right after this he has to clean the school’s restroom together with Kyungho.

He might come home late.

“Hyunnie.” Kyuhyun hums as he feels a slender arm rested around his shoulder. No one calls him by that other than his new friend, Jessica. “I’m flattered. You’re really brave out there.”

“Not for you to be flattered about. Sooyoung told you what happened?” Kyuhyun asked.

“She did.” Jessica switches her place to be standing in front of Kyuhyun, resting her arms on top of the table.

“What?” Kyuhyun lift one of his eyebrows as he sees Jessica staring closely at him.

“You look messed up. You know that?” Jessica sighed dramatically and gives a hard pinch on Kyuhyun’s bruised part on the side of his cheek. Kyuhyun yelps and slaps her hands from his face away.

“What the hell you want?!” Kyuhyun screamed. “It hurts! You want me to do the same? Huh?!”

“How come you’re able to stand from the bully when you almost cried in pain when I pulled that bruise? I thought it doesn’t really hurt on you, based on how you behave… So calm after the fight… But why did you scream? Don’t tell me you never been into fight before? ” Jessica gasps, clicking her tongue and pat Kyuhyun on the head like a pet. “I understand… But doing the same on me? You can’t do that to girls. As a guy you should know that right? That’s really funny for you to say Hyunnie, really.”

“Just do your stuff.” Kyuhyun rolled his eyes pat on his bruise gently.

“What punishment did you get?” Jessica asked normally as if nothing really happened.

“Toilet cleaning.” Kyuhyun begin to put his stuff inside his bag. “For a week.”

“So…Need a hand?” Jessica offered.

“No need.” Kyuhyun declined.

“Hm…Really? You’re right.” Jessica chuckled. “You’re a boy. Toilet cleaning is nothing.”

Now he realizes that if this goes on for the week he won’t be able to go home together with Siwon. This morning on his way to school he hadn’t seen Siwon either. He wondered where the boy went, probably because of the rainy weather that the boy decided to go to school by car. He couldn’t wait to see him. He wanted to see him. He is looking forward to see him tomorrow morning and he hopes that Siwon will be there. After a small talk with his friends, Kyuhyun proceed to go outside the classroom with his bag to do his punishment.

 

 

“It’s my favorite! Thank you so much oppa! I love you!”

Jessica was thrilled when she receives her birthday present from the person she has always adored. ‘Her’ Siwon was seated oppositely from her with a calming smile when he watches how excited Jessica is after she opened the present. She believes that Siwon always knows what she really liked. After all, they are childhood friends. As when they were young, Siwon and Jessica often company their mothers on their shopping week. That was why both know what each other really liked.

“This sweater is cute.” Jessica giggled and shyly smiles. “Even look more attractive in my eyes because you present it to me oppa.”

Siwon sips his chamomile tea which mixed with the vanilla scent from the café they are in now. “I’m glad you like it. You’re like my sister, having the same taste as her.” Such blunt statement made Jessica’s heart twinge in anger as she grips her skirt secretly until her fist went white. She then forced a smile and rest his chins her on palms, trying to stare at the handsome figure with full of admiration.

There are no more doubts that she liked him. It might be a little stomach-turning as she really wants Siwon to be hers and only one. She does not care of what the mad diva says about not going to make Siwon become hers. What did he call it? Obsession? Just because he is Siwon’s older brother, it doesn’t mean he could refrains her from going further. Damned the family’s close relationship, she scoffed mentally. She would do anything if it would be the thing to make Siwon hers. She won’t ever doubt her love towards Siwon.

She could just wipe Kyuhyun away from Siwon’s life. He’s a nuisance after all. That would be the easier method.

She never wants Siwon to see her as only a mere second sister of his. She wants Siwon to see her as a woman.

“Let’s go out oppa.” Jessica said as she blinks. “Just the two of us.”

“You want to leave now?”

“No.”

“Oh, but we are going out now, aren’t we?” Siwon said, “To this café for today after school because today is your birthday.”

“What I mean was, let’s date!” Jessica pouted, “Date as like other couples!”

Siwon arched his eyebrows. “Didn’t you say you have someone that you like?”

Was it really hard for him to get that hint? “Yeah but oppa—Never mind. I was kidding! Of course I have! Thanks for sparing your time for me today!” Jessica sighed, smiling. This time it isn’t forced. At the very least she was grateful that Siwon could give his time to her for that day. Ever since they started their life as a high school student, it was always hard to drag him for a hangout. For that she is happy that she may be someone special for Siwon albeit she got this woman sense telling her that even though Siwon was there with her, his mind is not there.

She fully knows where his mind is right now. Jessica doesn’t miss a chance to steal glances at Siwon who sometimes steal a glance at his watch. Checking the time and wondered how Kyuhyun was doing? Almost certainly true. They didn’t see each other for the two bus sessions for today. It happens again now for the fifth time. It is seven in the evening now and Jessica secretly smirked. She doesn’t go home with Siwon but she has always known that he has been taking the bus, whether going to school or home from school.

Their friendships never gratify her.

Cho Kyuhyun might be an obstacle for her to get Siwon easily.

The way Kyuhyun look whenever Jessica talked about Siwon made her sick. Even more the way Siwon look as if he’s concern of the time upset her.

“Don’t you want to order something?” Siwon asked as he opened the snack menu. Jessica was about to reply her so called big brother when she heard familiar voices talking just a few distance away from their table. She knew those voices. They were no others than her new circle friends from the public school. Prior at school they were asking her whether she could join them after school but she refused them because she had a plan with Siwon. She hurriedly takes the menu from Siwon and think of what to order. Other than really looking at the menus, she tried looking back for a little glance at the group.

To her bad luck it is really them, the complete set. How come she didn’t know they’ll be there? Then one of then must be Kyuhyun, yet she didn’t hear a hint voice of Kyuhyun’s presence there. Her body is currently tensed. How could she not hear them while she and Siwon were there? How long have they been there? Why must it be there of all places.

If Kyuhyun is there, she wouldn’t want them to meet.

She’s not loosing Siwon’s eye from him.

“Oppa, could you please call the waitress for me?”

 

 

“You shouldn’t force yourself to come here you know. You look…” Changmin paused and everyone laughed. “Come on guys, don’t be an .”

“Great, now you’re acting all a mother to me when you’re the one who told me to come! So great Shim Changmin.” Kyuhyun hissed at his friend as he lowered down his black cap. If it wasn’t because of his empty house he wouldn’t have come to the café. His brother was nowhere to be found and probably is having a small party with his colleagues. He couldn’t really go out with his face bruised like that. Now that he’s wearing a cap to hide his face underneath, it should help him to gain up some confidence.

“Kyuhyun oppa.” Sooyoung sounded like she’s about to cry again. “I’m so sorry.”

“It’s okay Sooyoung,” Kyuhyun chuckled at how many times he has to reply her with the same answer. “I feel better now.”

“Aish—Stop it!” Minho said patiently. “You’ve been blaming yourself for countless times! It wasn’t like Kyuhyun would never forgive you!”

“Yah. I never told you to count them idiot.” Sooyoung nudge him with her sharp elbows. “It’s your treat today. Right everyone? So, pay for our drinks later. Don’t you dare to miss mine!” Minho whined in defeat while everyone laughs in unison. Kyuhyun smiled at the atmosphere. He’s always fond of seeing people happy with each other. Those moments had always been warm and memorable.

However, the warmth when he’s with Siwon is another different thing.

As for today, he didn’t get to see Siwon on the bus because the latter wasn’t there.

What is he doing now? Kyuhyun wondered.

“Don’t space out!” Minho’s voice made Kyuhyun flinched. “If only Jessica’s here with us, you won’t be lonely.”

“Jessica? She’s not late then?” Kyuhyun asked.

“She can’t come today. She said she’s meeting someone. She left a minute later after you left to do your punishment.”

“How could you say that I wont be lonely if she was here?” Kyuhyun forced out a smile. He knows his friend beside him couldn’t see it since he’s been looking down while talking.

“Isn’t she the one who has been talking to you?” Minho reasoned. “Other people thought that you guys are a class couple, on the other side the more I look at you guys, the more I think that you two are siblings…It’s…Kind of adorable.”

“You and your imagination. Couple? I don’t see her that way. Siblings? We don’t resemble at all.” Kyuhyun chuckled at his friend’s inanity.

“You two seem to bickers a lot. Am I the one that’s weird?” Minho said, “Anyway Kyu, you’ve been single for a quite long time. Go get a partner. Who knows by that you won’t look lonely.”

“As if that’s easy… But I’m not lonely.” Kyuhyun reassured and heave a relief smile. “I have you guys here with me.” Even though he evidently knows it’s not complete without Siwon. Not complete? He widened his eyes and lowered down his head. Why does he feel like being quiet all of a sudden? Usually he would be the one to bring up many kinds of topics with his friends. Make jokes and laugh all way long. This seemed different. So quiet and strange, was it because of Siwon?

“…” Kyuhyun cursed quietly as his hand subsequently grab a random filled mug to have a short sip.

“Careful that’s hot—“ Minho warned right after Kyuhyun sipped the newly arrived coffee. Kyuhyun yelp and bit his burning tongue, quickly put down the cup on the table loudly. What the hell? What’s wrong with him? At times like this with his friends he shouldn’t be thinking of him. Shouldn’t be like that but why is he like this?

Before anyone could comment about what happened, he excused himself to the restroom. Upon arriving he at once removes his cap and washes his face with cold water. He heaved a heavy sighed while trying to shake Siwon off his mind. Why must it be him at times like this? The longer he looked at his own reflection made him to realize how bad he looked. Perhaps it was because he’s not used to have a bruised face. He sighed as he feels the cold water sensation on his face starting to calm and fresh his mind.

As he’s ready to leave the rest room, he herad the door’s being opened. After he takes short glance at the figure he freezes in spot and instinctively covers his head with his black jacket, taking a fast step towards the door.

 

Siwon is there.

 

Why is he there?

 

He might be hallucinating right now but Siwon’s figure looks real.

 

“Excuse me.” Kyuhyun freezes once again. If he’s hallucinating, how come he could hear his husky voice? “You…Left your cap.”

That voice really convinced him that he wasn’t hallucinating. Just as he was thinking of him now he’s appearing before him? He really wanted to see him and God just granted his wish. Unfortunately, maybe it’s not in the right time. He couldn’t just face Siwon with that condition. The heart within him is beating really fast that he could feel his hands trembling. What’s happening to him now? Could it be that he’s starting to…

“Excuse me?”

“Yes.” Kyuhyun ducks his head lower so that his strands of wet hair could cover the half of his eyes before turning around to take his cap back. He inaudibly thanked Siwon softly and leaves the restroom in hurry, going back to the spot where his friends were seated.

"You’re acting strange today.” Changmin said, “You’re not over from the fight are you?”

“It was nothing.” Kyuhyun’s eyes starts to roam all over the place as he realize for being dense enough for being unaware of Siwon’s presence in the café. Every seat has at least its occupants. Does that mean he wasn’t alone? After a few moments of waiting for Siwon, he finally see the latter came out from the rest room and goes back to the seat which has one girl with a blonde hair facing their backs seated oppositely.

What’s even made his heart skipped a beat is how Siwon smiled at the girl.

He looked happy somehow.

Is she Jessica?

No, that could be other girls. But if it really was Jessica, what she said was true. All these time they were really true, Siwon and Jessica are seeing each other.

“So that was it.” Kyuhyun unconsciously whispers with a sad smile to a blank space. He didn’t understand this newly strange feeling. Jealousy or whatever you call that. He should be happy for his good friend.

 

He should.

 

When he should… why does his chest feels tight and heavy?