Past chapter 04

Passerby

The school didn’t really take long to start its new page.

Kyuhyun doesn’t like how the school provides a large banner for the students with the word ‘welcome back to school.’ It was honestly pretty humiliating. As if many students really repudiated to attend school forever. But, it felt like it was just yesterday that he roamed around the autumn-like tourist place.

The pictures he took eventually placed in his album collection. It was pretty much the same thing he did every year with Ryeowook’s permission. However, it was different. Not in a bad way. In a good way? He’s not sure about that. Nevertheless, he’s contented with the result.

But once again…Different? Over the past few years creating albums there is one thing that made it different.

 

Siwon.

 

“Look out!” Kyuhyun turned his head towards the voice that pulled his arms to the side. “Man, watch where you’re going. You almost bump the wall.”

“Oh…Thanks Min. What’s up?”

“Heard the news yet?”

“What news?” As they arrived in class he placed my bag on top of his desk.

“There will be a transferred student in our class.” Changmin said which made Kyuhyun to look at him, interested on the sudden topic.

“That’s odd. How come you didn’t know? That rumor broadened like a deadly disease!”

“I’m not into digging unimportant stuff.” Kyuhyun turned around to take out the books from his bag. “I’m here because I’m a student, not because I’m some guy who’d like to know people’s business. And, I’m not interested. Either it’s transferred or new student.”

“Not curious why it broadened like a disease?” Changmin crossed his arms and head against the wall, looking at his friend with his furrowed eyebrows. “What if that transferred student came from the school of that guy who came to return your cassette player?”

Sung Hyun High School? How come? Could it be that Siwon is transferring here? Kyuhyun halted when he’s not supposed to. “Well then be it.”

Suddenly the class’s form teacher came in which was expected since what he heard from Changmin there will be transferred student here. The man didn’t talk until everyone is seated on their place in silence.

“Good morning my fellow students.” He paused as everybody answers him. “I suppose everybody already knows what to come.” The man turns his head towards the door and signals someone to come in. Kyuhyun guessed that someone is that so called transferred student? “As for today we received a transferred student that soon to be a family member of this class! Come on in.”

The figure couldn’t be Choi Siwon and his guess was right after all. There’s no way Siwon would transfer himself to such school. Kyuhyun smirked as the figure came in. The figure that came in instead was a blonde haired girl. She looked like some average girl you could find at schools. Except that her skirt was a little bit shorter than what it has to be.

 

“Please introduce yourself.”

 

The girl broke into a smile as her eyes met Kyuhyun’s.

 

“Hello! My name is Jessica Jung and I’m from Sung Hyun High School, nice to meet you all!” Was she introducing herself to the class or him only?

“Why did you transfer here?” One of the students asked.

“Let’s see… There’s so much space for smart people and my brain just never fit there.” Everyone laughed as she said that. “Anyway let’s continue this Q&A session later! I should find my seat here huh?” She turned her head to the form teacher.

“There’s an empty desk beside Minho-ssi which you can occupy.”

The class carries on normally. Kyuhyun wasn’t really surprised how that transferred student can easily catch up to the math class unlike others. She was from such famous private school yet, she moved here when most people favored to be in her place. Don’t mistaken, he wouldn’t want to. But if she’s that smart why did she decide to move here? She was able to answer most questions on the board. Kyuhyun guessed having her here was an advantage after all, there’s no need for him to answer everything again from now on.

The class did not stop until recess. Kyuhyun opened his snack box which consists of tuna sandwich he made this morning. He was quite satisfied with the taste, more like blessed with it. His brother was really something. Unexpectedly for Kyuhyun, Jessica occupies the seat in front of him after turning around the chair, now facing him. Can he just stop getting more strange surprises today?

“Hi there! Mind if I eat here with you?”

“Uh…Sure.”

“What’s your name?”

“Cho Kyuhyun.”

“Kyuhyun? Let’s be good friends!” Jessica said with a smile as she took a bite of her bread. “You must be confused now. You don’t look surprised nothing likes everybody else when I announced that I’m from Seoul Private School. That’s why I think I could be friends with you. Want some? I made this by myself.”

Then Kyuhyun could feel someone wrapped an arm around his shoulder. “Look who’s getting along…Shim Changmin here! You two look good together. Jessica-ssi, own a boyfriend yet? If you don’t, feel free to date this loner here.” Changmin may be his good buddy but he just despise that part of him.

Kyuhyun shifted his gaze to Jessica who shakes her head.

“No thanks. I like someone else already!”

Kyuhyun smirked at his dumb friend. He had this shame facial feature as he removed his arms from Kyuhyun’s shoulder. Kyuhyun gave Changmin the signal of good-luck-on-getting-along-with-her look. It seems that the atmosphere here didn’t really support him that he had to excuse myself with the reason of going to the toilet to have his time alone. Lame excuse, at least it made him relieved.

 

 

“Me? Survey a place for our last camping trip?”

Kyuhyun questioned again. He crossed his arms and growls. This was one of the things he doesn’t ever want to do, even though this might be his first time. The form teacher had chosen the students who had to survey for the class’s last field tip before graduating the next four months and one of the students was Kyuhyun, followed by other three students who had volunteered themselves as the candidate.

Still can’t accept of being chosen, Kyuhyun complained. “But sir, why did you add me if you already have three people? It’s enough wasn’t it?” But the teacher just smiles ironically.

“That’s the lightest punishment I’ve ever given to you for running away from your math test.” Kyuhyun eyes twitched as he heard what his form teacher said. “Lightest my …” He murmured.

“Words, Mr. Cho.”

“I told you I never mean to run from your test! Okay, come on, let’s do it today! Give me a chance, I’m on it.” Kyuhyun pleaded. “I promise I’ll get a perfect score.” Talking about getting perfect score on math, Kyuhyun was always being one to get a perfect score on every math test. His form teacher knows it, that’s why he disregards what the younger said seconds ago.

“No buts.” The teacher said before leaving the classroom. “Do it the day after the survey.”

Kyuhyun sighed heavily. That guy should be thankful for being a teacher otherwise he would’ve thrown a chair on him. If only he didn’t fell asleep on the bus last two days ago, if only Siwon was kind enough to wake him up, he wouldn’t be chosen as one of the candidate. But it’s too late to keep on blaming on his new friend. What has happened already happened.

On his way back home Siwon was nowhere to be seen on the bus. Kyuhyun wondered where the boy really went, as for yesterday he was not there too. Kyuhyun doesn’t know why but he feels like something went missing and he strangely knows the one’s missing is Siwon.

The survey takes place the next day and the four students went out to visit the place the teacher had requested them to check. Also, the teacher had told them to stay at the place for a day. Kyuhyun had this frown on his face ever since on his way from home to the school.

“What’s with the frown? I think it’ll be fun!” Changmin exclaimed.

“Fun?” Kyuhyun mumble. “Talking about fun… What are you doing here?”

“Victoria is here, can’t I too?” Changmin said while placing his bag on the car’s luggage. “I asked Mr. Kim for an exchange and Junsu agreed too and… Here I am!” Deep inside Kyuhyun was really glad Changmin joined.

“Omo…Kyuhyun Oppa? Why are you here?” Sooyoung asked, with her surprised face.

Yes, other than Changmin, he doesn’t know others really well, except Choi Sooyoung.

“Mr. Kim insisted I should join.” Kyuhyun said, “Is everyone here?”

Sooyoung tilted her head confusedly and Kyuhyun utterly find that adorable. Why not? Sooyoung is like his little sister. Although she’s in the same class as him, she’s actually two years younger than him.

“Yup!” She said before going inside the vehicle. Soon Victoria came back from the school building and everyone sets themselves in the car. The car ride was indeed quite than what Kyuhyun expected until the ride came passing the forest road.

“Spooky.” Sooyoung whines and talk to the sleeping Victoria. “Unnie, aren’t you scared? I’m scared.”

“But you volunteered.” Instead of Victoria, Changmin replied the younger one while resting his head on the backrest. It has almost been one and a half hour since they left school. “You shouldn’t have if you’re scared.”

“I didn’t know we’ll be here.” Sooyoung murmured. “W-what if there’s ghost? …Those tall trees and dry leaves…” Sooyoung stopped. “I heard you had to sacrifice one person to survive staying overnight in a forest.”

“What are you talking about?” Changmin seems engraved in the topic.

“You see… My friend told me once a story about a group of friends who stayed a night in the cabin at a forest. Strangely, they leave from home with five people and return with four people. She said … they were stuck in some kind of dimension only forest people know it exists. With that, they had to sacrifice one person that has to stay in that other world while the four of them can go back to the real world.”

“Sounds really made up.” Changmin said and without words said Kyuhyun agreed.

“But Oppa, I think it’s real.” Sooyoung argues. “I heard the news just came out a few months ago!”

Changmin chuckles dryly as he emphasizes the word ‘heard’.

“You watched too much movies.” Kyuhyun joined.

“No…I hate horror movies.” Then Sooyoung continues after gulping. “Maybe in the middle of the night, you never know whether you’re walking on the right path. Then…Perhaps… Once you’re inside this forest, you never know when to come back since…there’s no going back and one of us had to die—“

“Aish …. Quit the nonsense!” Changmin growled.

“By the way guys…You didn’t know you’ll be here too right?” Sooyoung asked and everyone fell into a deep silence.

“Sooyoungie’s right.” The atmosphere was quiet until Victoria suddenly spoke which startled Changmin and Sooyoung. Including Kyuhyun, but he just act unruffled pretending not affected at all when in fact, his heart were about to burst and explode due to fear. “I guess Mr. Kim only told the driver about the location. The fact that I saw tent bags on the car’s luggage….Who knows we’ll be really staying in the forest.”

True indeed what Victoria guessed, they’ll be staying overnight in a forest. Fortunately there’s a small cabin nearby for those who refuse to sleep outside in a tent. Since there are only two rooms with one bed each. Being a gentleman they are, Changmin and Kyuhyun decided that the girls should be the one to sleep in the cabin instead.

Night came right after they finished fixing their stuff. The four students including the driver sat in a circle facing the man-made bone fire while playing games, telling and listening to each other’s stories.

“The fire’s about to fade away…I’ll go get more woods. Stay here and don’t go anywhere.” The driver said before walking away to find more woods. He doesn’t care wherever the woods are, as long as he can find it to make the students comfortable.

Meanwhile, the four youngsters continue to play their little game of truth and dare. “Truth or dare?” Changmin asked and Kyuhyun mentally face palmed.

“Dare.” Kyuhyun doesn’t know, sooner or later the option he chose was a great mistake.

“Hmm…” Changmin smirked. “Go find our driver and help him instead. How’s that? Easy right?” If the two girls weren’t here Kyuhyun would have shoved Changmin’s head into the bon fire.

“Alright.” Kyuhyun stands from his spot and starts walking away to find their driver. It was really dark that he has to use a flashlight to guide him the way. All his eyes could spot was a dark unclear path but most of them are tall skinny trees.

“Kyuhyun oppa! You should go back now!” Sooyoung yells from afar. “You don’t want to be in trouble!!”

“I’ll be fine!” Kyuhyun yelled back, assuring them he’ll be alright.

 

About twenty minutes later the driver came back alone with piles sticks of firewood in his hands.

 

“Kyuhyun?” Victoria asked.

“Oh? Kyuhyun oppa…?” Sooyoung alerts. “Where’s Kyuhyun oppa?”

“Mr. Kang? I thought Kyuhyun was with you?” Changmin stands, frowning.

“I was all alone.” The driver places the sticks into the bone fire before realizing that Kyuhyun is missing. “What’s with Kyuhyun? Did he go somewhere? I thought I have told you to stay here in your place.”

“We were playing truth or dare—Oh !” Changmin cursed under his breath, start taking his flashlight and walks around. “………Kyuhyun!” Now he feels guilty of the dare he challenge Kyuhyun earlier. Maybe he shouldn’t have done that without knowing the risk. Sooyoung and Victoria follows what Changmin did and start going around searching for Kyuhyun.

“Changmin oppa, it’s your fault! You shouldn’t have given him that dare!” Sooyoung blames the older but he fights back.

“Well that idiot shouldn’t have agreed on that. He could have chosen truth instead.”

“Now you’re telling us it was his fault?” Sooyoung asked in disbelieve. “You’re the worst!”

“What?!” Changmin argued.

“Hear me? You’re the worst!!” Sooyoung argued back.

“The two of you please…!!” Victoria said, “Blaming each other won’t help us finding Kyuhyun. Sooyoungie, let’s go this way and Min…” She sighs. “Search the other way around with Mr. Kang. Careful on your way, the ground…It’s quite slippery.”

 

 

“Where could Mr. Kang be…”

Drop of sweat starts to form on Kyuhyun’s forehead despite the cold weather. His hands are shaking in cold although it’s covered with seemingly thick glove. Then he turns around when he’s not supposed to. He couldn’t see anything but pitch black. He keeps on walking at the same time looking back but he can’t seem to remember which way he came from. Suddenly he tripped on something and since there’s no path ahead, just an empty space, he fell down hard with his back on the ground.

“Argh…” Fortunately there’s no rock below or else he would’ve fell unconscious, or maybe that would be better. His eye travels to where he fell down from. Half of him couldn’t believe it was quite high. He tries to stand up but instead it sends him a spontaneous-sharp pain on his chest that he coughed. In spite of that, he tried continue walking but ended up being in a place he’s not familiar with.

And that’s when he realizes he’s completely lost.

“CHANGMIN!...SOOYOUNG!!...VICTORIA!!!”Kyuhyun yelled. In verge of crying, he weakly slumped down and rests his back on the tree. Kyuhyun hugged his knees to keep himself warm and hoping that his friends could find him here. But, was that possible? As minutes passed by the temperature seems to rise that even when Kyuhyun release a breath from his mouth, he could clearly see small faded clouds.

He doesn’t like being left all alone but he knows it was his entire fault for agreeing such dare from Changmin. Especially in this dark surrounding, more with having no flashlight, he’s unable to see things clearly.

In a click, abandoned memory came across his mind. During his primary school days he once participated in a camping trip and got lost in the night, left all alone. No one seemed to care to find him, leaving the little boy all alone in the forest. He was almost left abandoned crying endlessly hoping for his friends and teacher to spot him. In the end, he was found the next morning by his form teacher and since then, he’s afraid of being left alone in dark surroundings.

“No…” Kyuhyun sobbed, tears streaming down to his cheeks. “Someone..Anyone…Changmin…Sooyoung…Victoria…Mr. Kang…”

Kyuhyun’s sobbing finally came to stop as his eyes sharply refuse to look at the flashlight that was pointed at him.

Tall figure standing in front of him, pointing a bright light from the flashlight and right then after the bright light was swept away, Kyuhyun adjust his eyesight to able to see who’s in front of him.

 

“Kyu…Kyuhyun-ssi? What are you doing here?”

 

Impossible, he recognized that husky voice.

 

“Si…Won?”

 

He founded Kyuhyun.

 

Kyuhyun stands from his place but Siwon get to clutch on Kyuhyun before the boy fell down, helping him to stand properly.

“How did you get here?” Siwon asked, concerned. “No one should be here all alone.”

What he meant was... Kyuhyun should not be there all alone.

Not getting any reply from Kyuhyun, Siwon sighed and asked one more time. “Can you walk?”

 

Kyuhyun just give a nod with his hand clutching on Siwon’s thick jacket. It was really warm and Kyuhyun wondered what its like to receive warm from it. No words were spoken afterwards, just a calm silence between the two boys and the night air. Kyuhyun doesn’t know where Siwon will be leading him to, but he trusted him.

There’s no way Siwon would bring harm to him…Right?

“You okay?” Siwon asked out of silence. “Are you hurt?”

Why was he suddenly being concerned? “I’m okay.” Afterwards the silent completely owns them. Despite the rocky and slippery ground full of leaves begin to withdraw, Kyuhyun kept his cold hand clutched on Siwon’s thick jacket. Siwon realized Kyuhyun had his hand clutched on his jacket so tight that he could feel it every time he stepped the ground. He visibly felt Kyuhyun’s disquiet towards the dark surrounding.

“Thank you…” Kyuhyun murmured as he begins to cry. “Thank you for saving me again.”

Realizing Kyuhyun was crying Siwon made a move to hold Kyuhyun’s hand. “Let it go if you want to get lost again.”

Kyuhyun chuckled whilst wiping his tears with the back of his hand. “I’m sure I won’t be lost again.”

“How are you so sure?”

 

“Because … Because you’re here with me.”

Those words left from Kyuhyun made Siwon to suddenly half smiling. Those words somehow bring him warmth, the sincere words he hadn’t heard from a very long time.

 

“Shouldn’t friends stay by each other’s side?”

“I know.” Kyuhyun said. “But…Does that mean you’ll stay by my side?”

“I’m your friend. I’ll stay by your side.”

Kyuhyun smiled, swinging their linked hands. He’s really happy when he heard that. Ahead of them they could see a house with its lamp on. It wasn’t really far from the spot where Siwon found Kyuhyun.

 

“Yah Siwon ah! You’re late bast—“ The pretty man paused, “Who did you bring?”

 

“I can’t find the woods hyung.” Siwon approached the man.

“But you brought someone instead…Ah…He wasn’t just someone else when both of your hands are linked.” When the man said that, Siwon and Kyuhyun immediately broke their linked hands. Siwon scratched the back of his head and explain everything. However, the man didn’t seem to be convinced.

“Just a friend?”

“My name is Cho Kyuhyun. Nice to meet you...” Kyuhyun said, hesitantly.

“Cho Kyuhyun? I’m Siwon’s brother, Heechul.” Heechul rose up an eyebrow and lead them inside. For Kyuhyun the house was cozy enough for a family to stay in. It was the kind of house which has simple furniture and warming aura. The three figures take their seat on the wooden chair in the living room.

“Jiwon ah! There’s a guest here!” Heechul yelled and a girl that resembles Siwon came downstairs.

“Omo, guest? This late?”

“Siwon bought a lost friend here.” Heechul said before whispering the girl something.

“Ah!” Jiwon gasped as she fixed her messy hair. “Uhm... Do you prefer hot chocolate or tea…?”

“Uh…I—“

“Tea is fine.” Heechul smiled as he patted her hair. Siwon sighed as he told Jiwon to just go back to sleep as he wants to take care all of those but the girl refused and go straight to make tea for the guest.

“So how did you get lost here?” Heechul asked, “It was dangerous to roam around the forest alone, especially at night. I did ask Siwon to search for woods around since the wood stock here were empty. Well, as for Siwon I’m sure he’ll be okay. But he found you!”

“Yes…” Kyuhyun said, softly. “We were actually here to survey for a place for the next three months camping trip from school.”

“We?” Heechul crossed his legs, “Your friends?”

“Yes…”

“Alright.” Heechul smiled, this time he showed a really warm smile after he change his gaze from Siwon to Kyuhyun. “I’m guessing your friends are searching for you now. Do you know your way back?”

“I’m not really familiar with the area…”

“That’s okay. I’m sure your friends could locate this house. While you’re here…Feel free to look around and think of this place as your house!” Jiwon came and place three cups of tea on top of the table. Heechul thank her as he hold the cup and take a sip. “Listen Kyuhyun…I trust people who my dumb brother trusts… Siwon friend is also my friend.”

“Kyuhyun-ssi? Nice to meet you! I’m Choi Jiwon, Siwon oppa little sister.” Jiwon greets.

“Nice to meet you too.” Kyuhyun said.

“Hyung, enough with your interrogation session.” Siwon sighed, “You’re scaring him.”

“Oh, look who’s being really sweet and caring here.” Heechul chuckled. “Say Kyuhyun, are you scared of me?”

Kyuhyun looked at Siwon who’s staring at Heechul sharply. Kyuhyun bit his lower lips and hold his laughter, “No.”

“See?” Heechul smiled in victory. Kyuhyun doesn’t know why, just for a moment staying there he’s feeling really comfortable. Was it because Siwon was there? Was it because Siwon’s important people are there too? Kyuhyun smiled without having to bother the sibling fight.

Kyuhyun noticed there are several family pictures on the wall. However, one picture of four people in one frame on the wall attracts his attention most. It was the picture of three men and one woman in their high school uniform. Kyuhyun could spot which one of them was Siwon’s father since they both resembles lots. At one point Kyuhyun guessed the only lady there was Siwon’s mother.

“I’ll be back. I need to take something from my room.” Heechul said, before leaving the two figures.

“That’s the picture when my parents are still in high school.” Siwon said out of blue.

“You and your father resembles very much.”

“I get that a lot.” Siwon said and noticed that Kyuhyun has his eyes sometimes slowly closed ad open. “Are you sleepy?”

“No, I’m fine.” Kyuhyun blinked, “I’ll wait for my friends.”

“Don’t lie.” Siwon said, “You can use the guest room upstairs.”

“No, I’m staying here.” Kyuhyun said, sleepily. Siwon then gesture Kyuhyun’s head to be on top of his shoulder.

“Close your eyes. I’ll wake you up when your friends are here.” Siwon said and Kyuhyun followed what he said.

“Siwon ah.”

“Hmm?”

“Thank you and…” Kyuhyun couldn’t continue what he said as everything went black.