White Christmas

The Shoebox Letters
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

White Christmas

 

Joohyun literally dragged Yonghwa away from the chaotic living room. She doesn’t know how to explain to her siblings let alone her parent what’s a boy doing in their house, early Christmas morning. One hand was pulling Yonghwa the other was clutching the comforter to her chest.

“yonghwa whats the big idea?!”

“I wanted to greet your family for Christmas”

“WHY?!” her eyes were round and her face flushed as they stop on the staircase “I oculd just tell them that!”

Yonghwa smiled mischievously “will you really?”

Her nostrils flared as she pulled Yonghwa again and stop at one of the rooms and deposited him there

“Wait here, I’ll just freshen up”

“Can I come with you?” smiling wide

“You see, this is the problem when you only get to talk to people via letters, you don’t know that they maybe crazy lunatics out to get you”

“Ouch you just hurt my feelings”

“Oppa!!”

“Okay fine, go, come back quickly”

After 10 agonizing minutes, she found him still sitting inside the room with a guitar, was it instinct that she actually left him in the music room? She stood by the doorstep and watched him as he pluck the guitar for some melody while sitting by the grand piano. She smiled to herself thinking of their younger days when they were writing letters to each other and he was telling her about this band that they have. It has always been him and music, then and now.

“I leave you for a number of minutes and your back with your music?” her eyes twinkled as she made her way inside the room and leaned on the piano, he looked up and smiled brightly, he actually have a scheduled gayo to attend that afternoon and it’s almost noon and yet there he was playing hooky just to see the his life. He knew what he was getting himself into and for him, he might as well know everyone that he has to deal with, if her parents disapproves of him then might as well he knows now, it’s like a chess match, you know who your opponents are, and calculate their move.

“I can’t help it, it’s like a whole orchestra here!” looking around the grandious place “I must say Joohyun, I was impress with Taeyeons apartment, but nothing could’ve prepared me from this”

“This used to be our rec room, but as we grew older and found our passion, our parents turned this into music room, that side door leads to unnies dance room”

Yonghwa’s jaw dropped “You have your own dance room?”

“Yes, well Shinhye unnie does, this room, is mine”

“How many rooms does this house have?”

“hmmm, 17? Including the sitting rooms, excluding the servants quarters”

“wow! And how many employees do you guys have here?”

“25 total!”

Yonghwa felt clammy….and irrelevant.. well who wouldn’t? He even came with measely gifts for her family, what would wine, scarves and ginseng do compared to their vast assets? Nada!

“Hey oppa you okay?”

“Huh?” looking disoriented, he puts the guitar back to it’s place “Yea of course, uhm Joohyun, I got something for your family but I don’t think they’ll like it, they’re in my car”

“Why? What did you get?”

He rubbed the back of his neck and smiled ruefully “nothing of importance, I get it now, what will you give someone who actually have everything?”

Joohyun suddenly felt bad, it was not her intention to rub their riches on yonghws face, she was just answering his questions, and this is the reason why she and Taeyeon barely made friends during elementary, people will either be aloof with them or be too friendly with them. She didn’t wish to be born into their family, but she loves them so she doesn’t regret it either.

“Oppa, people like us, as you put it, has a lot of needs that money can’t buy, and it will probably take a lifetime to explain that to you so, don’t worry, whatever you brought will be greatly appreciated”

“I suddenly felt small”

“Eish!” tapping his shoulder  “Where was the over confident guy that strode into our house earlier?”

He smirked “gone home”

“Nonsense, let’s go meet this parents of mine so you can go your merry way”

She took his hands into hers and held them tightly as they went down to the dining room where she was directed by one of the servants. He hurriedly went to get his gifts and when he came back, Joohyun was holding the handle of the double door

“Ready?”

He then felt cold

“Oppa, this can be a bloodbath, you got insurance right?”

He jumped and craned his neck side to side “Youre not helping”

She laughed and pulled the heavy wooden doors, Yonghwas eyes roamed at the painted ceiling, grand chandelier, the 12 seater dining set , the crystals and silvers and the 4 people who were looking at them.

“Daebak” Shinhye spoke under her breath not really believing what one of the servants told her when she was washing up.. CNBLUE’s Jung  Yonghwa is in the house. Oh yeah!

The elders, Yonghwa noted, were dress to the nines, but the younger ones were still in their sleepwear. Seunggi cleared his throat and motioned the two to come forward as people seemed to freeze looking at each other.

Joohyun took a deep breath, this is the first she is introducing a boy to her parents, well technically not a boy. As afraid as she is, she’d be dead before she let anyone know and besdies, she herself is dying to know what would her parents say. Shinhye is engaged to her choice, an American business man who is based in New York. They have been dating for the past 3 years, she knew of Kevin of course, she met him when they visited her one summer, she knew when he proposed and only told t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter