Chapter 1: Virtual Connection

I Think I Like You

 

It has been five days since my mom called. I had already finished fixing the papers and enrolled her boss’ daughter. After class, my friends Mark, Jackson and I decided to play basketball.

“Wang-puppy in the house!” Jackson shouted as he passed through me and made a slam dunk.

“Aish, your too loud man.” Mark commented as he made his way to the bench to drink some water. I sat beside him. I was about to drink some water when someone covered my eyes.

I reached for the hands and they felt from someone that I know.

“Nayeonie?” I felt the hands letting me go and when I look at my back it was really her, my childhood best friend Nayeon.

“Aish, you’re no fun Jinyoung. How can you guessed that it was me?”

“Don’t you know that he’s a psychic?” Mark chuckled.

“Oooh, maybe that’s the reason why you’re the top of our class. You know the answers to all the exams since you can see the future.” Nayeon smiled riding onto Mark’s joke.

“Don’t believe that guy. I guess I just know you too well.” I had been friends with her since kindergarten and I had a secret crush on her since then. Boy! She’s getting prettier as the years pass by.

“Nayeonie, Nayeonie” Sana came running towards our direction holding her phone out. “beagleKat96 just replied to my message.”

“Really, what did he say?” Nayeon stood beside Sana.

“What the heck is that?” Jackson suddenly interrupted.

“It’s none of your business.” Sana fired at Jackson.

“Yeah, yeah. I’m not interested at that stupid thing!” Jackson fired back.

Mark stood beside Sana and read what’s on the phone. “MailPal?”

“It’s a new app where you can meet and chat randomly with people. Just type in your interest and the site will match you to a random person. If you like that person’s personality then you can add him or her to your circle.” Sana proudly explained.

“I can’t believe you’re into those things. I mean who would want to chat with some random strangers?” I said raising an eyebrow.

“I would.” Nayeon smiled. “It’s can be nice to talk to someone new.”

 

 

That night, I did all my assignments and finished them by around 11:00pm. I climbed to my bed but after thirty minutes, I realized that I wasn’t sleepy at all. I opened my phone and then I suddenly remembered the mobile application Sana was talking about. I was bored and I thought that it might help me kill some time. I searched and downloaded it.

I’m not really sure of what I was thinking but I made an account. It asked me for a username and I entered Junior22. My classmates used to call me junior back in middle school since I was sharing the same name as the principal. On the other hand, I used 22 since both Nayeon and I were born on September 22.

I started to browse through the application when a box popped out saying find a chatmate. I clicked on it and it asked me what “I was looking for”. I wasn’t really sure of what I was doing but I just typed in friend. The application loaded and I found myself in a chat box with someone with the username Omicron.

I kind of felt nervous all of a sudden. I was about to log-out when Omicron chatted.

Omicron: Hi. Do you speak English?

Junior22: Hello. Yes I do. Just little.

Omicron: Where are you from?

Junior22: Korea. What about you?

Omicron: Oh you are Korean. I can speak Korean. (Typed in Korean)

Junior22: That’s great. It kind of make me feel less nervous.

Omicron: Why are you nervous? Is it your first time chatting? hehehehe

Junior22: Yes, I’m not really sure how this all works.

Omicron: Well, don’t be. So, are you still a student?

Junior22: Yeah. What about you?

Omicron: I guess you’re not such a good student. Staying up late, chatting with some stranger.

 

Wow! This person is a bit judgmental.

 

Junior22: It’s not like I’m a delinquent or something. It’s just that I can’t sleep.

Omicron: Really? I just woke up from a bad dream that’s why I don’t want to sleep.

Junior22: What is it all about?

Omicron: Thunder. I dreamt I was in a middle of a Thunderstorm.

His Korean sounds a bit off. But from what I can understand is that he might be scared of thunder. A lot of people do have a fear of thunder. I know, because when I was a kid I would always run to my grandmother during thunder storms.

 

Junior22: Well, don’t worry. If you’re scared then listen to your favorite song.

Omicron: So, what’s your favorite song?

Junior22: I don’t really have any but recently I’ve been listening to Akdong Musician’s “200%” a lot.

Omicron: I’ll listen to it. Junior22-ssi, nice meeting you

Junior22: Nice meeting you too.

 

It was a bit awkward to say that online. Then, all of a sudden, another box popped out saying “Omicron wants to be a part of your circle”. I clicked accept and I think I just made my first virtual friend.

 

 

 

______________________________

Author's note:

If you are interested about their age, I made all the characters high school students. So you can say that they are of the same age. Chapter 1 is a bit short but I promise you that Chapter 2 will be exciting. Our heroine, Mina, will be introduced! So stay stuned.

Also, reading the comments makes me happy. Please do write a comment after reading. It is highly appreciated.