Chapter 17: Snow Under My Feet

I Think I Like You

 

JINYOUNG’S POV

We are now on our way back to Seoul after a weekend long vacation. I looked at the van’s window and watched how the scenery changed from a provincial one to those dominated by skyscrapers. I tried to sleep but every time I close my eyes, I can still remember the cable car ride I had with Nayeon. I tried to shake off the feeling but I still can’t help but feel sad about by unfortunate confession.

I looked around everyone inside the car. Everyone was full of energy and they kept on talking about how fun the vacation was. I felt completely left out since I was the only one who thought that it was a total disaster. After a few hours on the road, we finally arrived in Seoul. We drove for a bit until we were on the bus stop near my home.

“I think I will be going off here.” I called on the driver’s attention.

“You sure?” Mark replied as he looked at me through the rear-view mirror. “You have some luggage back there. It’s alright for me to drive you down to your house.”

“No, it’s alright. I can handle all my things.” I smiled at him.

“That’s not what I’m worried about.” He smiled back at me and then looked at Mina. This is really picking a fight with me. He knows that Mina and I live together and wants to expose it with everyone.

“I think I’ll be dropping off here too.” Mina suddenly interrupted.

“Why? Don’t you want me to drop you off your house?” Mark asked her.

“There’s someplace I have to drop by first before I go home.” Mina lied smoothly.

“Where would you want to go at a time like this?” Jackson asked her.

“It’s none of your business.” Sana cut him and smiled at Mina. “Take care and make sure to get some rest.”

Mina and I got off the van and I took out our bags. As I close down the door, I took a glance at Nayeon who was sleeping soundly beside Sana.

“Thanks for everything.” Mina said to Mark.

“Anything for you.” Mark smiled at her before closing the van’s window. Mina and I watch the van goes until it disappears.

I carried our bags and started walking back home. It was already 8AM in the morning and it was cold despite the sun brightly shining.

“Jinyoung, I think Mark’s acting really weird.” Mina suddenly said as she walked closely beside me.

“He’s often weird.” I replied to her.

“Yeah, and a lot of girls like that about him.” She smirked at me as she said this.

I glared at her and went off the road towards the park. I walked straight towards the playground and then, threw our bags down the snow before sitting down the swing.

“What the heck! This is Marc Jacobs!” She exclaimed as she picked up her bag. She went towards my direction and sat at the swing next to mine. “What’s with that sulky face? Not that it’s new but you look as ugly as always.”

“Can we not talk about Mark? I’m still irritated with him.” I continued to glare at her.

“Why? Because he’s so much cooler than you?” Mina replied.

“Well, if you like him so much then you should’ve stayed with him.” I said loudly at her that my voice cracked a bit.

“Well, that’s the thing. I don’t like him, I like you.” She said softly as if she's trying to calm me down.

To be honest I was taken aback. I looked away from her because I don’t want her to see me blushing.

“Did I make you feel embarrassed, Jinyoungie?” She continued to tease me. “I’m just trying to make you smile. You were really sad last night. What happened by the way?”

“It’s not something I’d like to remember.” I replied as I looked down at the snow under my feet. “I wish that night didn’t happen.”

“Come on, tell me.” She whispered in my ear as she moved her swing closer to mine. “I won’t tell anyone.”

I hesitated for a moment but her eyes looked at me that it felt so sincere. “I confessed to Nayeon.” I said almost inaudibly.

“What did she say?”

“She never really gave me an answer but the way she moved expressed that she does not feel the same way about me.” I tried to smile but I felt so pathetic.

“Well what can I say, you are pretty dumb to assume without her telling you anything.”  She said as she raised an eyebrow. “But, I guess I’m dumber since I still like you despite being dumped by you.” She let out a sigh and a cloud formed from her breath.

“Mina-” I was supposed to say something but she suddenly leaned forward and pressed her lips into mine. Somehow it was different from our first kiss since it was longer. I can feel her lips move as if it wants me to kiss her back but I just stayed frozen.

“Jinyoung” Mina said as she finally moved her lips away from mine. “You are a terrible kisser. No you are a terrible man for always letting me do the first move.”

“Well, you always do things on the most unexpected times!” I can feel that my face was turning red as it felt hot.

“Why? Do you want me to ask permission every time I want to kiss you?!” She screamed at me. “Besides, when will you learn to kiss me back?” I can see that she her face was getting red from embarrassment at what she have done.

“I-I-just” I don’t really know how to respond at the situation. I composed myself and looked at her straight in the eye. “Listen, I told you before that I don’t want to hurt you. To be honest, I-I just don’t feel the same way about you.”

“I know that.” She nodded slowly. “But, I’m willing to wait until you like me back. Still, I’m hoping that you won’t make me wait too long.”

 

_____________________

 

The following day, I spent all my time lying on my bed. Mina went back to Japan for the rest of the holidays and my grandmother took her to the airport. I think she was upset at me for not coming with her to send Mina off. But, I was more upset by the fact that Mina didn’t tell me about her plans on going back to Japan.

Since I have nothing to do, I took my cellphone and checked out my MailPal. It has been quite a while and I wonder how Omicron-ssi is doing.

 

Junior22: Helllo? You around?

 

I messaged Omicron-ssi and it took him a long time to reply.

 

Omicron: Yes. How is it going?

Junior22: Not so good. I’m supposed to be enjoying the holiday breaks but I’m afraid that things are not going in my favor.

Omicron: That’s sad. But I think I can relate to you. Nothing’s going good for me too.

Junior22: Yeah. I think it will be a cold winter.

 

I looked at the window the snow is falling down. My grandmother stayed longer at the airport since my mother is coming home. I should be happy since she’s coming home to us but somehow I feel like there’s somewhere I should be.

 

 

______________________________

Author's note:

Sorry if it took me a while to update... Too many things to do in school >...< plus I have to be somewhere during the holy week. I hope you like this chapter. Don't worry because I promise I'll update again later this week. Again, thank you for all your response <3 I appreciate them :)