Chapter 9: Eve of the Competition

I Think I Like You

 

JINYOUNG’S POV

Yesterday, Mina and I got into a fight. I can’t believe that I gave the hint that I feel jealous whenever Nayeon’s with Mark since I liked her. I wish I could have just kept my cool and ignored Mina. That way I wouldn’t have to worry about others knowing my secret.

Buzz. I suddenly felt my phone vibrate. I checked it out and saw that it was Omicron-ssi.

 

Omicron: Annyeong, Junior22.

Junior22: Long time no talk. How have you been?

Omicron: I think I’m doing better. How about you?

Junior22: Nothing special.

Omicron: Is there anything bothering you?

Junior22: Nothing.

Omicron: You seem to be in a lot of stress. You know you can talk to me.

 

I’m not really in the mood to talk to him so I turned the TV and watched Music Bank in the living room. Suddenly, my grandmother came by to talk to me.

“Jinyoungie, Mina has been really busy lately. She hardly has time to help in the kitchen.” My grandmother is really fond of Mina. Ever since she came here from Japan, they have spent a lot of time shopping and cooking in the kitchen.

“She must be practicing for that upcoming competition this coming weekend.” I replied.

“That’s good to know! I’m happy that she’s engaging herself in those activities.”

“Nah. She just joined in because she wants to sneer at my friend.”

“Aish! Jinyoung. What’s wrong with you? Why can’t you get along with Mina?”

“I’m telling you grandma. She’s the devil in disguise. She looks too shy and feminine in front of others but when she’s with me, she is like Medusa.”

“You’re over reacting. Mina’s a nice girl.” Grandma stood up suddenly. “I’ll make her some snacks to help her out in her practice. Please give it to her once I’m done preparing them.”

“Just deliver them to her yourself, please.”

“Jinyoung, stop being such a brat!”

My grandmother made some kimbap and tteoppoki. She asked me to deliver it to the house’s rooftop where Mina was practicing.

I walked lazily to the rooftop. I opened the door and heard some classical music playing. I carefully walked and hid myself behind the clothesline. I watched Mina doing ballet. Beads of sweat form on her forehead and then slowly ran across her face. I never thought that she was a ballerina. I have to say that she looked elegant and beautiful. I was in a trance because of her dancing that I did not notice when she turned and looked at me. Mina quickly turned off the music and I came out of the clothesline.

“Grandma, made you some snacks.” I said as I walked close to her.

“Why were you hiding behind the clothesline?” She wiped the sweat from her face using a towel.

“I just don’t want to disturb you.”

“Well you just did.” She took the snacks from my hand. “So, what do you think?”

“About what?”

“My dancing.”

“I never knew you danced ballet.”

“I learned ballet for eleven years.” She said proudly. “My mom always watched my recitals.”

“Oh.”

“You’re so bland. Can you say something other than Oh?”

“Well, you danced gracefully. But I noticed that your expression feels like they are not yours.”

“What do you mean?”

“I don’t know. They seemed like they were practiced.”

“I see.” Mina said while nodding. She seems like she’s taking this competition more seriously than I thought.

“Are you doing that piece for the competition?”

“Yes.”

“Just a piece of advice.” I ran my hands through my head. “You dancing ballet is good but I don’t think that it will fit in the competition. I think you should do something pop or hip hop. The judges would probably chose trainees for their companies through that competition.”

“Oh, I see.” Mina faced looked serious.

“Good luck.” I gave her a thumbs up and headed back to the door.

“Jinyoung!” Mina called at me. “About yesterday, I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay. Let’s forget about it.”

“I mean it. I said things that I shouldn’t have.”

“It’s okay. Stop being so nice. It makes me shiver.” I smiled at her.

“So will you be watching the competition?”

“Yeah. I’ll be cheering for my friends.”

“Oh.” She turned her gaze away from me. “Of course you’ll be there for Nayeon and Sana.”

“I said friends. That includes you too.”

“Really?” Mina suddenly smiled brightly. “I’ll be expecting you then.”

“Then do a good job.”

“I will and Jinyoung, if I win my bet against Nayeon I want you to grant a request for me.”

“What is it?”

“I’ll tell you once I win.” She took her phone started to search for a new song.

 

NAYEON’S POV

The competition is just around the corner. Lately, I’ve been spending most of my time for practicing. This means so much for me. This competition will be my stepping stone on becoming an idol.

“Nayeonie~” My mom burst the door open while I was singing. “What’s going on? You’ve been practicing a lot lately.

“Nothing. I mean, it’s just a small presentation at school” I haven’t told my parents that I joined a competition because they really are against me being an idol.

“Well, you sound good honey. Keep it up.” My mom hugged me. “If you’re hungry go downstairs and I made some snacks for you.”

“Okay, thanks eomma.”

My mom headed for the door and left. I let out a big sigh of relief.  I went over to my desk to get my phone and then texted Sana to come by our house so that I can have someone to watch me practice. As I sat down my chair, I saw the hairclip Mark bought for me yesterday.

After we ate at the restaurant, Mark and I strolled around the mall. I was quiet since I was jealous at the thought that he might have some feelings for Mina. He might have noticed me so he tapped my shoulders gently.

“Nayeonie, you’re too quiet.” Mark whispered in my ear. “I wanted you to come with me here so you can relax and have fun.”

“I’m just thinking of something.” I smiled meekly at him.

“Is it about the upcoming competition?”

“I guess so.”

“Then come with me.” Mark looked around and pulled me inside this boutique.

He searched the place carefully and picked a butterfly hairclip. He stood in front of me and pulled my bangs back before putting the hairpin on.

“Look at the mirror. Do you like it?” He said pointing at the mirror.

“Yes. It’s very pretty.” I smiled at him.

“Nah, you’re very pretty.” He smiled back at me. “I hope you’ll wear this at the competition. It’ll out all your worries and give you good luck.” That was the sweetest thing a boy said to me.

 

____________

Author's note:

I'm really excited in writing the the next chapter. I hope you are enjoying the story!