Chapter 29: Goodbyes and Letting Go

I Think I Like You

 

MINA’S POV

 

I was supposed to go home on my new apartment but Jinyoung asked me to sleep over into their house. I couldn’t say no because I wanted to see grandma but most especially because I wanted to be by his side for a little longer. When we arrived at their house, his grandmother greeted me warmly as if she hasn’t seen me for a year. She made a wonderful dinner for the three of us and then, Jinyoung lend me some of his clothes I can changed in for the night.

I went to my old bedroom to change my clothes. I was preparing to sleep when somebody knocked on my door.

“Come in.” I said.

“Are you going to sleep?” Jinyoung asked and I nodded. He slowly closed the door behind him and lied on the bed beside me.

“Aren’t you invading my privacy?” I turned to my side so I can face him.

“I intend to.” He reached for my hand and held it tightly. “I miss you so much. To be honest, I am scared to sleep because I’m afraid you might disappear when I wake up.”

“Now, there’s one thing you can be scared of now.”

“It doesn’t matter really because I can always look for you.” He smiled and I can feel myself drowning in his eyes.

“Jinyoung, there’s something I want to tell you.” I said softly.

“What is it?”

I looked straight into his face and touched the bruise that had formed on his cheek. I'm not sure how he got it but it made him looked vulnerable like a child and it made me want to take care of him. A few months ago when I first arrived here in Korea, this face irritated me, but now his face is something that I wouldn’t want to forget since he was my first friend and my first love.

“Did you know I will always love you?” I said.

“Me too. Even if you stop loving me, I will still love you.”

“Then, I feel sorry for you.” I replied sadly and Jinyoung just smiled before kissing me on the forehead. I really felt remorseful of it because I could not be honest with him. Maybe, he will understand someday. There's something I've been wanting to tell him, but it was a perfect night and I did not want to ruin it. Besides, if this was my last chance, I want to give him a good memory of me.

 

 

JINYOUNG’S POV

 

I thought that after that night everything would be back to normal, but it didn’t. When I woke up, I found out that she was gone. I asked my grandmother where Mina is but she replied that she had already left. I hoped that I would meet her again in the classroom but she never came back to school. I tried contacting her two days now but she never answered. I feel really irritated and upset. How come she always leave without saying good bye? I don't recall doing anything that might upset her, and even so this is not the right way to handle things.

“What are you doing?” Mark asked when he found me after class in the school rooftop. "I've been looking for you."

“Nothing you can help me on.” I replied.

“Today is her flight back to Japan.” He said and I turned to him. “Sorry for not telling you but she said I should keep it a secret.”

“What do you know?”

“Her family is moving in USA, three days from now. I think she returned here in Korea to fix a few papers.” He continued. “Her father wants to expand their business there. He’s thinking that he and Mina might also fix their relationship when they’re in the States.”

“How come she never told me any of that?” I said waveringly.

“Guess she doesn’t want to hurt you. She even asked me if I could pretend to be her boyfriend so that you could forget about her.”

“Is she dumb?” I was getting really upset. “How can I forget about her? How can I not be hurt about this?”

“I know. That’s why I’m bringing you to her.” Mark took out his car keys. “I promised to meet her in the airport today so I can send her off. I just didn’t tell her that I’m bringing you with me.”

“Why are you doing this?”

“Don’t get me wrong, I’m really sad that the girl I love is leaving. I have to agree with you that she’s dumb for choosing you over me, but I don’t want her to regret not saying goodbye to you. Besides, call this my way of making up with my best friend.” Mark patted my shoulders. I couldn’t contain my happiness that I hugged him tightly. “Okay man. This is really close for me.”

 

After that, Mark drove all the way to Incheon International Airport. I couldn’t help but be anxious every time that the car stop because of the traffic or the stoplight. Mark assured me that we will make it in time. I can see that he was not a good liar because his jaw was also getting tense every time we stop.

After arriving at the airport, Mark ordered me to get off the car and look for Mina. I nodded and ran immediately inside the airport. I’ve been here several times when I wait for my mother to arrive or when I’m sending her off. I remember the last time Mina left. I wasn’t there to send her off. This time would be different. I looked frantically at the people in the airport as I ran to the waiting area. I kept looking around until I found a girl wearing my scarf. When our eyes met, she looked surprise to see me standing in front of her. I walked closer to Mina and kissed her on her lips.

“What are you doing here?” Mina asked once our lips parted.

“I came to find you.” I told her as I held her close to me. “You know I’m so angry at you.”

“You shouldn’t have looked for me.”

“How can I? The last night we met you said you love me and now you’re leaving. I can’t understand you.”

“I just didn’t want to upset you. My father want-” I kissed her again before she can finish what she wanted to say.

“I know. Mark told me everything. You’re dumb for thinking that I would not understand. If you need to leave then tell me. We can always find a way to make it work.”

Mina buried her face on my chest and cried softly. “I’m still uncertain of what would happen in the future especially now that I have to go far away from you. I just don’t want you to wait for me.”

“You’re thinking too lowly of me.” I said as I her hair. “I can always find a way to find you.”

Mina didn’t say anything but hugged me tightly. It is true that the future is uncertain especially now that we are going to be apart. But miracles can happen especially if you’re in love, right?

 

 

MARK’S POV

 

After parking the car, I followed Jinyoung in the airport to look for Mina. To be honest, I’m not sure if I made the right decision. I’ve known about Mina’s plan when we had our date back in the Han River. I’ve been assisting her for the past few weeks in fixing her documents. In addition to that, I pretended to be her boyfriend so Jinyoung could forget about her and moved on. I guess she didn’t want him to have a broken heart when she left.

Now that I think about it, it really is a stupid plan. How can she make him forget when she loves him so much and yearns to be with him every day? I guess I agreed to her plan because I hoped that spending time with her, as her fake boyfriend, will make her fall in love with me instead. But the longer I spend time with her, I realized that she will not look at me the way she looks at Jinyoung.

As I walk on the waiting area, I saw Mina and Jinyoung kissing each other. It hurts but then again, I could’ve send her off by myself and not tell Jinyoung. Believe me I thought about that a thousand times. But I love her so much that I know that she will regret it and will be lonely if she did not say good bye to him. Call it my last act of affection. Besides, she’s already out of my reach. It’s best to let go now and move on.

“Mark!” Mina called out my name as soon as she saw me. She walked over my direction and gave me a hug. “Why did you tell him?”

“Because, I’m a saint.” I patted her head. “You should check your watch. You should be getting on board now.”

“Don’t worry, I am.” Mina grabbed on to her luggage. She gave Jinyoung another tight hug before waving good bye at us.

Jinyoung and I watch her go on board and later watch her plane fly.

“What are you planning to do now?” I asked Jinyoung as he keeps an eye on Mina’s airplane.

“We’ll see.” He removed his gaze from the sky and smiled sadly at me.

 

 

_________________________

Author's note:

Hi everyone! This will be the second to the last chapter. I'll upload the final chapter later this week. Thank you so much for commenting and for tuning in to my story ^^