Chapter 22: Knowing the Answers

I Think I Like You

 

JINYOUNG’S POV

The winter holidays are over now and we’re back in Korea. Everyone in the classroom was noisy talking about their vacation. Eventually, Sana arrived in class with a huge paper bag.

“My beloved friends! It’s nice to see you all.” She was really energetic.

“What’s up with that paper bag? Are those souvenirs?” Jackson asked her.

“Yep, go get one.” Sana opened the paper bag and each one of us started choosing a present.

We opened the present simultaneously and we all got green tea.

“What kind of present is this?” Jackson complained.

“That’s organic green tea.” Sana replied. “It’ll make your skin look healthier.”

“Then give me another one.” Jackson took Mark’s present. “I’d like to see good results.”

“Give back Mark’s green tea! I’ll give you one again tomorrow.” Sana pouted at Jackson.

“Don’t worry. Jackson can have mine. I bought lots of it in Japan.” Mark said.

“Really? Why didn’t you contact me?” I can tell that Sana was a bit surprised.

“I was on a date with Mina.” Mark said out loud and everyone in class heard it.  Suddenly, the noisy classroom was full of whispers. I looked at Nayeon and she was just quiet.

“Hahaha that sounds interesting. Tell me about it.” Sana looked amused.

“It was just a short trip.” Mina was blushing.

“But still quite romantic.” Mark smiled at her.

“I was there too.” I'm not really sure why I cut in.

“Really?” Jackson asked.

“Yeah, I visited Kobe.” I answered his question.

“Yup, he stayed in my unit. He even slept with me.” Mina said out loud and everyone in the classroom heard it. The whispers even became louder.

“Ya!” I pinched her cheeks out of surprised. "She meant sleep over. Nothing happened aside from that."

“Hahaha now, that’s more interesting.” Sana was more amused now that her eyes are shining.

“He said that he missed me so much that he went to Japan.” Mina added fuel to the burning fire.

“Ya!” I pulled Mina out of the classroom and into the hallway. “What do you think are you saying?”

“I’m just telling the truth to Sana.” Mina said sheepishly.

“But our classmates are getting the wrong idea.”

“Is it bad to tell the truth now?”

“No, but you don’t have to disclose everything. Aigoo, I’m stressed.” I placed my hand over my face.

“I like it when your stress.” Mina smiled at me. “I love you.”

“Don’t say things like that here. It’s embarrassing.” I gave her an angry look but I can feel my face getting hot.

I don’t know what Mina was thinking but she gave a soft giggle. “What are you doing later? Please hang out with me.

“I can’t, I have cram school later.”

“Cram school?” She looked confused.

“I’m applying in a university. I enrolled in a cram school to review for the entrance exam.” I told her.

“You didn’t tell me that you enrolled in one. I could’ve enrolled too.”

“I didn’t know you’d like to review. What are you planning to do after graduation by the way?”

“I was thinking of marrying you.” Mina said and for a moment I thought she was joking, but she was unbelievably seriously.

I pinched her both her cheeks hard and she squealed. “You’re such a silly girl!”

“But I’m serious.” She was massaging her cheeks. “Let’s just have dinner tonight after your cram school.”

“Okay. 7:30PM. Meet me at the bus stop.”

 

 

After class, I immediately left school and ran to the nearest convenience store to buy some snacks for my review. Once I arrived at the cram school, I saw a lot of students from different schools at the lobby. I went to my designated classroom and took a seat. I set my phone on silent mode and then, put it in my bag. As I look at our classroom door, I saw Nayeon coming in. She saw me and she walked towards my direction.

“Can I sit here?” She asked.

“Sure.” I smiled at her.

To be honest, it was a bit awkward because we haven’t talked for a long time since my confession in Yongpyong. I had a hard time concentrating in class since the whole incident was flashing in front of my eyes. I kept looking at Nayeon at the corner of my eyes and in one occasion she saw me looking at her and she gave me a smile.

“Hey, want to walk on the way home together?” She asked me.

“Y-yeah.” I answered awkwardly.

We were silent as we walked home. It felt so weird because it feels like I’m being confronted by my ex-girlfriend which isn’t the case. As we continued to walk home, Nayeon suddenly said she’d treat me for Kimbap and I followed her to the restaurant where we used to eat.

“It’s been a while since we hanged out” Nayeon said.

“Yeah.”

"Remember the senior year in middle school when our school won the championship at the basketball tournament? Jackson got so excited that he kept on goofing around that he broke some glasses. The manager really got angry."

"And as a penalty we have to help clean the dishes. Sana was so angry at Jackson that she started speaking in Japanese and it sounded so weird so we just laughed it off." Reminiscing that moment made the two of us laugh.

“I really missed you.” She gave me a soft smile and I can feel my heart aching a little bit.

“I’m sorry.” It was all that I can say.

“So, how was Japan?”

“N-nice, I guess.” Again, I answered awkwardly.

“Are you dating Mina? You two are closer now.”

“No, just close friends.”

“Come on, don’t be embarrassed. You can tell me everything. I’m your bestfriend. I’ll be really happy if you are dating someone now.”

“How can I date someone if I’m still in love with you?” I said out load to both our surprise.

“I’m sorry.” Nayeon tried to avoid my gaze.

“Me too.” I replied. “It’s sad that we can’t hang out like we use to. It’s my fault. Sorry.”

“You have nothing to apologize for. I haven’t given you my answer and tonight I will.” She looked seriously straight into my eye. “Jinyoung, I do not feel the same way for you. I’m already in love with someone else.”

“I was sort of expecting that answer.” I knew the answer but it still hurts.

“But I want you to know that you are a very important person to me. I can’t return your feelings but you have a special place in my heart.”

“I sad and happy to hear that. Thank you for giving me an answer.” My chest was feeling really heavy right now so I excused myself.

“Jinyoung” Nayeon called me as I was about to leave the restaurant. “Mina is a nice girl and I can see that you care for her. I’ll be rooting for you.”

Upon hearing Mina’s name, I suddenly remembered that we were supposed to meet at the bus station. I looked at my watch and it was already 8:45PM. I checked my phone and I saw that I missed a lot of calls from Mina. I quickly ran out of the place towards the bus station but when I arrived at the place, she was already gone.