Chapter 10: In This Moment

I Think I Like You

 

MINA’S POV

Today is the day of the competition. I look out and saw that a lot of people have gathered around. I have to say that I feel really nervous since I chose to follow Jinyoung’s advice to change my piece just three days ago. In addition to that, I haven’t danced for two years after the accident.

As I prepare backstage I saw Nayeon and Sana enter. I can see that Nayeon was just as nervous as I am but Sana looked excited and cheerful as always.

“Mina-chan! How are you doing?” Sana said in Japanese as she made her way to me.

“I think I’m fine.” I tried to smile.

“You look so nervous.” Nayeon sat at the seat next to me.

“I could say the same to you.”

“Well, this is it.” Nayeon said as she put on a butterfly hairclip. “This is make it or break it for me.”

“Do your best.” I smiled at her.

“You too.” She smiled back at me.

“Let’s not forgot to have fun. If we have fun while performing then we will have a great stage.” Sana reached for Nayeon and my hand then gave it a gentle squeeze.

“Yow, chingus!” Jackson said loudly as he, Mark and Jinyoung entered the backstage.

“Oh, hi guys. What brings you here?” Sana smiled cheerfully at them.

“We came to cheer you up.” Mark was holding banner that says “Nayeon and Sana FIGHTING!”

“Thought you might be nervous so we came in to give you hi-5s” Jackson opened his hand to us and we each gave him a hi-5.

“So, what will you be doing?” Jinyoung asked.

“It’s a surprise. You better watch closely.” Sana replied.

“I will.” Jinyoung smiled back.

“The competition is about to start, you better go out there and find good seats in front.” Nayeon advised.

“Yes, ma’am.” Jackson gave a little salute. “I hope I brought a brought a megaphone for this.” Everyone laughed.

The boys headed to walk out. As Jinyoung passed by me he softly nudged and whispered “goodluck”. I quickly grabbed his arm and pulled him close to me.

“Watch me closely.” I whispered close to his ears. “I prepared something special.”

“Really?” He looked straight in my eyes.

“I haven’t done it before so it really is something new to me.”

“Then, I have high expectations on you.” He smiled at me before I let him go.

I can feel that my nervousness is slowly fading. I turned to Nayeon and Sana who were both doing little practices. A few moments later the MC announced that the competition is about to start.

 

JINYOUNG’S POV

Mark, Jackson, and I quickly found good seats upfront. The crowd was a bit loud probably because most are the contestants’ family or friends. I looked at the program that Nayeon had provided us and saw that there are 28 people competing. Sana is number 18, Nayeon is 24, and Mina will be performing last at 28.

I watched the performances carefully and so does Mark. On the other hand, Jackson was surprisingly quiet and serious at the moment. Most of the contestant’s performances were good but no one has caught up my attention yet. Maybe I was being a bit biased? To be honest, I was so excited for my friends’ performances.

After contestant 17’s performance, the audience clapped. The MC came out of the backstage and asked 17’s feelings after the performance. Finally, the MC announced Sana’s name and the lights turned off. My friends and I cheered so loudly. Jackson who was quiet all the time screamed so loud that the people we are seated next to were annoyed.

Once the lights , we saw Sana on stage and she danced to Alicia Key’s Heartburn. I saw Sana danced in school festivals before. She always acted like this cutesy dongsaeng but I was surprised by her performance. I’d like to say that she was so pretty and y. I felt like she was seducing the audience. By the end of her performance the three of us cheered so loud and we shouted “No Sana No Life” which made Sana giggled.

“Wow! That was a wonderful performance Sana-ssi” The MC said. “So what do you feel about your performance?”

“I feel satisfied.” She replied. “I hope that a lot of people realized that I’m talented.”

“Well, yes you are. Let’s give her a round of applause everyone.” The MC led Sana backstage and then, announced the next contestant.

“I’m shook. I didn’t know Sana danced like that.” Jackson said to us.

“Me too. That girl has a lot of surprises.” Mark replied.

After a while, it was Nayeon’s turn. I screamed so loud that my friends laughed. Mark held his banner so high. The music played and Nayeon started singing Lee Hyori’s U-Go-Girl. Her vocals was stable as well as her dancing. After her performance, the whole crowd clapped and cheered so loud. Nayeon saw our banner because she gave a small giggle before waving at us.

“Nayeon-ssi, the audience loved your performance.” The MC said.

“I’m really happy of that.” Nayeon was smiling from ear to ear. “I feel like all my hard work has paid off just hearing the audience cheer for me. Kamsamida,” She gave a bow and the audience clapped once more.

Only four performances left and the competition is over. Mark left and bought some drinks and then came back, just right before Mina’s performance. As I took a sip from my drink, I remembered what she said that she prepared something special. I wonder what it could be.

The MC finally announced Mina’s name and then, Beyoncé’s Drunk in Love played on. Out of all the performances tonight, hers struck me the most. I didn’t foresee that she will be doing this dark and y concept. After her performance the crowd cheered loudly. I was lost in a state of shock that I did not realize that my mouth was open until Mark closed it up.

“That was a thrilling performance, Mina-ssi.” I can feel the MC lost for words.

“Thank you. I was a bit worried today because it has been quite some time since I last dance.” Mina gave a sigh of relief.

“Your girl was really good, bro.” Mark whispered in my ear.

“Yeah, she is- Hey, what do you mean my girl?” I raised my eyebrows while he just smiled and shrugged his shoulders.

“This has got to be a close competition. I mean a lot of them are good.” Jackson exclaimed out of nowhere.

After the intermission number, the judges’ scores were tallied and the MC went to the stage to announce the winners. The MC asked the contestants to stand on stage.

“For tonight’s competition, we will announce the top 3.” The MC opened the envelope containing the results. “In third place is contestant number 18, Minatozaki Sana.” The audience clapped. Sana moved forward and a staff gave her flowers.” Once again, we shouted “No Sana No Life” and she made heart fingers at us.

“In second place is contestant number 28, Myoui Mina.” Again, my friends and I screamed so loud. Mina gently move forward and received her flowers.

“And now, for the moment you’ve all been waiting for.” The MC gave a short pause.

My friends and I were all silent. In my head, I kept hearing him say Nayeon’s name.

“The winner of this competition is…”

 

___________________

Author's Note:

It's been quite some time since I last updated. Sorry about that. Been busy at school. Thank you for the comments! I really do appreciate them ^-^