Chapter 6: After the Storm

I Think I Like You

 

Mina and I were inside a taxi on our way home. I was giving her a lecture when it started raining heavily.

“Oh my god.” Mina spoke uncomfortably.

“Friends will not talk behind your back.” I continued on with my lecture. “They should be honest with you and tell straight-forward if they have a problem with you.”

Mina started fidgeting on her seat. Beads of sweat are starting to form on her forehead.

“People like that. They are not friends. They are snakes waiting to bite you-”

A sudden loud of thunder roared to the sky. All of us where taken aback. But Mina breathing suddenly got heavy.

“A-ajushi, stop the car.” Her voiced cracked.

“What?” The driver asked.

“I said STOP!” She suddenly screamed. The driver quickly stopped the car and she went out of the car.

I quickly paid the driver and hurriedly followed her. She was running so fast in the middle of the street. She almost got hit by passing car. I was closely running behind her.

Suddenly, she slipped and fell in the middle of the street. A car was driving on her direction. I run as fast as I can and picked her up. Somehow, I manage to bring us on the side walk.

“What, the heck is wrong with you! Are you stupid?!” I shouted at her. It was raining heavily and the raindrops are quite painful.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry.” She kept on apologizing as she trembled.

“It’s okay. Don’t worry you’re fine now.”

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry.” Mina kept on trembling and I can feel that she was crying even though it was raining.

“It’s okay now. Nothing’s gonna happen.” I don’t understand what was happening but she won’t stop from apologizing and shaking. So, I did what my mom use to do when I get frighten by thunderstorms. I pulled her closely to me and hugged her tightly. I put my lips next to her ears and I started singing “Favorite Things” from the movie Sound of Music.

A few moments later, Mina stopped from trembling. I finished the song and tightly held her hands. 

They were surprising small, soft and cold. I looked around for a café and lead her inside. I asked the manager if they have two towels that they can lend us. I also bought two Americanos and went to our seat. I wrapped the towel on Mina before I sat on the seat across her.

“So, aren’t you going to ask about it?” Mina suddenly broke the silence.

“I don’t want to make you talk about something that’s uncomfortable.” I replied while drying off my hair. “But, if you want to tell someone, then I’m here to listen.”

Our coffee had arrived. I wrapped the towel over me and took a sip of the coffee. Woah! It’s so warm.

“I’m really scared of thunderstorms.” Mina held her cup and brought it close to her lips. “I really feel uncomfortable especially if I see lighting strikes.”

“We all have our fears.” I looked at her as I drank my coffee. It is true that she can be quite irritating often times. But there are moments when she looks so fragile.

 

When we came back home, my grandmother gave us a lecture about getting soak in the rain. She said that we should not do it again or else we might get sick. Well, true to her words, we both fell sick that evening. Both Mina and I caught a fever.

I lied down my bed all night. I felt bad because my grandmother stayed late at night to watch over us.

The next morning, I woke up because of a familiar voice. It was Nayeon who was talking to my grandmother. After talking to my grandmother, she took a seat next to my bed and smiled at me.

“Hey, how are you doing?” Nayeon asked.

“I feel better than last night. I think my fever came down.” I smiled at her.

“I’m glad that you feel better.” Nayeon touched my forehead to check on my temperature. “Why did you leave after the game? Mark was looking for you at the party.”

“There was an emergency that I have to attend to. So, what brought you here?”

“I brought some kimbap and fruits for you.” She held the bag in front of me. “Don’t worry I wasn’t the one who made it. I asked my mom to make it for you.”

I laughed softly because of this. “Why ask your mom? I mean I like your cooking.”

“Aye! Stop lying. You know that I can’t cook. I don’t want to kill you with my awful cooking.”

I opened the pack and took a taste of the kimbap. Nayeon’s mom is really good at cooking.

“Jinyoungie-“

“Hmmm”

“I’m joining a local singing and dancing contest. They said entertainment groups will be watching. I’d like to give it a try.”

 

____________________________

Authors Note:

Sorry for the late and short update. How are you liking the story so far? Feel free to comment down below =)