Chapter 12: Forget Me Not

I Think I Like You

 

JINYOUNG’S POV

A week have already passed since the competition. I still can’t get over the fact that Nayeon didn’t win. Although it seems that it did not affect her that much, since she’s still as goofy and bright as usual, I still feel bad that her efforts did not pay off.

Today was a Saturday and I was just lying on my bed since there is nothing much to do. I checked my MailPal to see if Omicron is online.

Junior22: Good Morning

Omicron: Morning

Junior22: Why isn’t there any “good”

Omicron: Cause it is just another boring day.

Junior22: You wouldn’t know for sure. Try to explore around.

Omicron: Okay.

I think Omicron-ssi might have woke up on the wrong side of bed. I stood up to change my pajamas. I was taking off my shirt when the door swung open.

“Jinyoungie!” Mina suddenly rushed inside my room.

“Don’t you know how to knock on the door?!” I tried to cover the upper side of my body.

“Okay. Next time I’ll be sure to knock knock.” She went out and closed my bedroom door.

I quickly put on a new shirt and went on to open the door. “What do you want?”

Mina raised the certificate that she got from the competition.

“What do you want me to do with that?” I asked.

“Well, a certain person told me that he’d do me a favor if I win the competition.”

“You didn’t really win if that’s what you are implying. You only came in second.” I said savagely.

“You really are a horrible human being.” Mina pouted and turned her back from me.

“Hey, I’m just kidding.” I grabbed her arm. “Just one wish, okay?”

“That’s good enough.”

“So what do you want me to do for you, Mina-sama?” I gave her a small bow like what butlers would do to their masters.

“Bow down and my feet.” Mina giggled. “Joke. I want you take me out somewhere fun.”

 

____________________________

“I think bowing down and my feet might be a better idea.” Mina said as I lead her to the amusement park’s entrance. Even after so much protest, I finally convinced her to come with me to Everland.

“Welcome to Everland!” I exclaimed as I handed our ticket. “It’s been a while since I went here. Last time, I was with Nayeonie. We spent our birthday here. Did you know that we share the same birthday?”

“Don’t you have a better place in mind?” She was still convincing me to take her someplace else.

“Why? I thought you wanted to go somewhere fun.” I raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah, but this is a bit…” She answered pathetically.

“Come on let’s try the Viking!” I pulled her to fall in line with me.

“I think I’ll just wait here.”

“Don’t be such a scaredy cat.”

She just gave a sigh and quietly stood behind me. I can hear a lot of people screaming. I feel so excited. This is one of my favorite ride.

“This is Nayeon and I's favorite ride. I wish we had invited her. She definitely need some cheering up lately. Maybe I should call her.” I tried to reach for my phone but Mina hold on to my coat’s sleeve.

“Come one. It’s our turn.” She pulled my arm and led me inside the ride.

I hurriedly sat at the topmost portion of the ship. I mean this is the part of the ride where you get all the fun. On the other hand, Mina quickly checked if there are any seatbelts. She looked so pale when I pointed out that there are no seatbelts but just a safety handle and she grasped it tightly. Once the ride started, Mina closed her eyes and buried her face on my arm. Everyone in the ride was screaming their lungs out. Mina’s scream sounded like a penguin who’s giving birth.

After that, I invited Mina to ride with me on the T Express and Roller X-Train. Every time we get out of the ride. Mina looked like a part of her soul was taken out of her. I know I should feel bad for her but it’s really funny seeing her like this.

We walked for a little while. It’s almost Christmas and the night’s wind was so cold. I put my hands inside my pockets to keep them warm. The park was so bright with all the Christmas lights . It was a pretty sight.

As we crossed the bridge, we saw the parade starting. Mina took out her phone to take a video.

“So cute.” For the first time tonight, her eyes were sparkling with excitement.

“The fireworks will also be starting soon.” I whispered in her ear.

“Really? Then we should find a nice spot.”

“Sure, after this.” I pointed out to the parade. “You know Nayeon and I always come here especially on our birthday. Before, I used to be a very quiet and introverted boy but Nayeon was the first person to ask me to be my friend. The first time we went here was on our tenth birthday. We watched the parade for the first time too, right on this spot. Oh, how time flies so fast! You know what? One day, I’ll tell her how I feel about her, right here, because this was the spot where I realized that I liked her.”

Suddenly, Mina put her phone back to her pocket and started walking away from me. I called out to her but she continued on walking. I followed behind her and continued calling her name but she didn’t turn around. Finally, she went inside a carriage display in front of the Christmas tree.

“Mina, are you alright?” I asked as I peeked through the door.

“Yeah, just tired.” She looked really sad.

“Are you cold?” I asked her and she nodded. I went inside the carriage and sat on the seat in front of her. I leaned forward to pull her coat’s hoodie and zipper up. “Why do you look so down all of the sudden? I brought you here because I wanted you to have fun.”

“I tried to have fun.” Her voice was so low and soft so I leaned closer to hear her. “It’s just that you can’t stop talking about Nayeon. "Yeah, I’m scared of rides and I might not be fun to be with like her, but you don’t have to say her name over and over again.”

“I’m sorry if that is making you feel bad. I was just telling you my stories.” I don’t really know what she means. Why would she feel bad about me sharing my childhood memories?

“I really like it here in Korea. Unlike in Japan, there are lots of people here who are nice to me. I’m thankful to your grandma for treating me like a part of your family. I’m thankful for your friends because they make me feel like I belong in your group. I’m thankful to you because you treat me so nicely no matter how much I diss you.”

“I’m glad you feel that way.” I replied. After that, the fireworks show started and I look out to the sky to watch.

“We’re going to graduate soon. I know you will go in a university here in Korea and I know that I have to go back in Japan.” Mina said and I looked on to her face. “Listen, the reason why I wanted you to take me out is because I wanted to make more memories with you.”

“We will.” I replied. The thought of her leaving kind of made me feel sad. Even though she’s a brat, I enjoyed living with her.

“Jinyoung…” her voice was inaudible and the fireworks was really loud so I leaned so close to her that our faces were inches apart. “I hate to say this but-”

“But what?” I asked loudly.

“I- I think I like you.” Mina suddenly moved forward and kissed me on my lips. “You won’t forget me now right?”

 

XXX