Chapter 11: Unexpected Results

I Think I Like You

 

JINYOUNG’S POV

After the intermission number, the judges’ scores were tallied and the MC went to the stage to announce the winners. The MC asked the contestants to stand on stage.

“For tonight’s competition, we will announce the top 3.” The MC opened the envelope containing the results. “In third place is contestant number 9, Minatozaki Sana.” The audience clapped. Sana moved forward and a staff gave her flowers.” Once again, we shouted “No Sana No Life” and she made heart fingers at us.

“In second place is contestant number 28, Myoui Mina.” Again, my friends and I screamed so loud. Mina gently move forward and received her flowers.

“And now, for the moment you’ve all been waiting for.” The MC gave a short pause.

My friends and I were all silent. In my head, I kept hearing him say Nayeon’s name.

“The winner of this competition is…” The MC repeated. “This year’s winner is contestant number 2, Yoo Jeongyeon!”

The music began to play and the crowd cheered so loud. The winner’s family members were hugging each other. Jeongyeon moved forward and received the trophy. She was on the verge of crying. I think she can’t believe that she won. I too can’t believe it either.

My friends and I remained silent. I look at the stage and Nayeon was walking towards the backstage along with the other contestants whose name wasn’t called. The three winners stood there to have their photo taken.

“Come on, man.” Jackson said. “Let’s go backstage and talk to Nayeonie.”

“You all go ahead. I’ll wait for Sana and Mina here.” Mark nodded at the two of us.

Jackson and I walked to the backstage and saw Nayeon fixing her things. I can see that she feels sad. I went over her and tapped her shoulders gently.

“Nayeon…” I called out.

“Oh, Jinyoung.” Unexpectedly, Nayeon smiled at me as if nothing was wrong. “Can you hold this bag for me?” I took the bag from her.

“Nayeonie, are you okay?” Jackson said.

“Why wouldn’t I be?” Nayeon smiled at Jackson. “Jinyoung can you take me home? I’m a bit tired”

“Okay.” I said. I looked at Jackson and told him to tell the others that Nayeon and I are going home.

Nayeon and I rode the bus on our way home. For some minutes we did not talk to each other. I kept looking at her to see if she was crying or not but she just kept looking at the window. To be honest, I thought that she would cry. I mean she spent a lot of time practicing and she really wanted to become an idol.

“Jinyoung…” Nayeon called out of the blue.

“Yeah…”

“I was really nervous before my performance.” She said as she continued to look at the window. “But when I was on stage it felt surreal. I did not think I would do great like what I did.”

“You were great. The judges were all deaf and blind. They can’t see true talent.”

Nayeon laughed gently. “You don’t have to lie to me. I might not have won but I was happy to perform and give my all on stage.”

“I’m not lying! What I meant was true should have won. You sang and danced great. You looked really beautiful on stage too.”

Nayeon laughed once more and then put her head on my shoulders. “Oh Jinyoungie, you say the things that make me feel good. But I guess there are some things that you cannot have even if you work hard for them.”

 

MINA’S POV

It was a complete shock for the rest of us that Nayeon did not win. I have to admit that among the other contestants, I really felt that her performance was the best. When Sana and I went down the stage, Mark smiled and congratulated us. By the time that we came to the backstage, Jackson has already fixed our things and told us that Jinyoung and Nayeon had already went ahead.

To celebrate for our win, Mark has treated us for some samgyumpsal. I was hesitant at first because I’m not accustomed hanging out with them. But Mark insisted, so we all went to this restaurant.

“Both of you were really great on stage.” Jackson started the conversation as we waited for our order. “Seriously, you were y on stage Mina-ya.”

I kind of blushed at Jackson’s comment.

“Aish, Mina was embarrassed. How about my performance?” Sana smiled proudly at Jackson.

“It was also good. Who knew you have some talent behind your clumsiness and stupidity.” Jackson smirked at Sana and she punched him on the shoulders.

“Don’t believe him. He was cheering so loud after your performance.” Mark chuckled softly.

“Aish!” Jackson shouted so loudly because he was so embarrassed and we all laughed.

Once our orders have arrived, we ate deliciously. I guess I did not notice that I was so hungry. We ate so much until it feels that the restaurant has no more meat to offer.

After our meal, we decided to part our ways. Jackson and Sana went home together since they live near each other. I was about to say goodbye to Mark but he insisted to accompany me.

“It’s quite late at night now. It’s not safe for a girl to walk on the streets alone.” Mark argued.

“Don’t worry about that. I can fight on my own.” I said.

“Stop being stubborn come on.” Mark and I started walking.

I was not being stubborn, it is just that I don’t want anyone to know that Jinyoung and I live in the same house. I guess I can let him walk me but once we are near I can ask him to leave me.

“Do you like Jinyoung?” Mark said out of the blue.

“Huh?” I was taken aback of his question. “Jinyoung? Why would I like him?”

“Don’t know. But when I saw you with Jinyoung at the mall, I thought that you were really close.”

“It was a coincidence. We just met at the mall.” I lied.

“And it was a coincidence that you were eating cotton candy while talking sweetly.” Mark raised his eyebrows.

“Why are you being so nosy?”

“Cause I want to know what’s between you and Jinyoung. Jinyoung’s not the type who can easily befriends anyone.”

“Listen there’s nothing going on between the two of us. If there was something between us then it is him that would be walking me home not you.”

“I see. So, will you date me if I ask you to?”  Mark suddenly held my hand and for the second time this evening, I was taken aback. I was surprised of what he did that I can’t move.

“Hey, what do you think are you doing?” Said a familiar voice. I looked to where it came from and saw that it was Jinyoung. He walked quickly at our direction and pulled me away from Mark. “I repeat, what do you think are you doing?”

“Walking her home.” Mark replied.

“You don’t have to anymore. I’d do it myself.” Jinyoung’s voice was deeper and firmer than usual.

“Why? Why would you want to walk her home?” Mark asked seriously.

“Because you said it yourself, she’s my girl.” Jinyoung said and I blushed.

“Okay.” Mark look surprised with Jinyoung’s answer but then smiled. “If you say so. Make sure to walk her home safely. See you at school.” Mark nodded at me before heading out the other way.

We watched Mark disappear walk out of our sight before we started walking. To be honest, I’m still startled by what happened earlier. I took a glimpse of Jinyoung at the corner of my eye, his eyes looks quite stern. In fact, he looked so serious.

I might say that the atmosphere felt awkward. It’s not because neither the two of us was talking but because we were actually holding hands. Jinyoung did not let go of my hand ever since he pulled me from Mark. What was even weirder was the fact that my heart was beating quite fast.

“Have you ate dinner?” Jinyoung suddenly said which broke my train of thoughts.

“Y-yeah. Mark treated us.” I replied nervously.

“Oh.” He frowned. “Sometimes, I really just can’t understand that guy.”

“Jinyoung…” I said softly.

“Hmmm”

“What is this?” I was raised my hand which he was holding tightly.

“Sorry.” He immediately let my hand go and I noticed that he was blushing.

“This is very awkward.” I exclaimed. “What did you mean by “my girl” earlier?”

“I wasn’t the one who said it first! Mark said that.” His face was so red. “I just said that so that he won’t walk you home! I don’t want him to know that we live in the same house.”

“Is that all?”

“Yeah…” he said bluntly.

His answer annoyed me so I increased my pace.

“Why are you walking so fast?” Jinyoung tried to keep up and walked to my side.

I stopped and turned to him. “Because, I hate you!”

His eyes went big but then he smiled. “I know because you are Myoui Mina.”

 

____________________

Author's note:

Sorry if it took me some time to update. Too many work at school T^T Don't worry I wrote a long chapter and I promise to update again this weekend. Stay tuned ^^