Chapter 7: The Challenge

I Think I Like You

 

At school, everyone was still celebrating because our team won the basketball match against our rival team last weekend.

When I took my seat, Nayeon and Sana where talking about the upcoming singing and dancing competition.

“Ah, Nayeonie I feel so nervous about the competition.” Sana said while placing her hands on her chest.

“Me too. I’m not sure what I will be singing.” Nayeon kept looking at the flier.

“I’m not really confident about my singing but I know I can ace the dancing part.”

“Well, I’m quite the opposite. I think my dancing is average but I’m confident about my voice.”

“Why are you making too much fuss about that?” Mina suddenly said without taking her sight out of her phone. “Those contest are nothing but rubbish.”

“How can you say that? You don’t even know what these contests are.” Nayeon sounded offended.

“I don’t need to research about those things. It’s nothing but crappy singing and dancing.” Mina replied.

“Hey! Don’t say those-” I joined in the conversation but Nayeon did not let me finish.

“No, I get it.” Nayeon looked closely to Mina. “It may not be of your standards because you can’t do it.”

“What are you trying to imply?” Mina finally looked away from her phone’s screen and straight into Nayeon’s eyes.

“I’m implying that you don’t have any talent.” Nayeon glared at Mina.

Mina laughed before her lips. “Are you kidding me?”

“Hey, why not join the competiton? Let’s see if you really have something to show.” Sana said kindly to brighten the atmosphere.

“Why would I join something so stupid?”

“I guess you are really talentless and only knows about nonsense.” Nayeon jeered.

“Woah.” Mina chuckled. “Fine, I’ll join just to make it interesting.”

“How about we make a bet between the two of you?” Sana said while smiling deviously. “The one with the lower score will be the avatar of the other. Deal?”

“Sana-ya…” Nayeon looked surprised by Sana’s proposal.

“Deal.” Mina exclaimed. “This will be easy. What do you say Im Nayeon?”

“De-deal.” Nayeon said hesitantly.

“Wow!” Jackson suddenly appeared out of nowhere and put his arm around my neck. “Girl wars are really scary.”

 

Later that night, I was finishing some papers when Nayeon and Mina’s bet came into my mind. I couldn’t believe that they would challenge each other at the upcoming local contest. I was lost in my thoughts when my bedroom door burst open.

“Mi-Mina!” Why does she like bursting into my door?

“Look at my face!” Her face was only a couple of inches away from me. “Tell me what’s wrong.”

“Huh?” I looked closely at her face. She looked the same as she always does. “I don’t get it. What am I looking at?”

“Look, I have a pimple!” She pointed on a small red inclination below her lips. “Oettokke! What am I supposed to do?”

“It’s only normal for people to have breakouts once in a while.” I turned my back from her and fixed my desk.

“It is not normal for me.” Mina pouted and sat unto my bed. “Hey, do you have anything to do after class tomorrow?”

I stopped and think for a moment. “Nothing. Why?”

“Would you like to come to the mall with me? There’s a modern dance showcase there tomorrow and I’d like to watch.”

“I thought you said you didn’t like those stuff?”

“Well, if you don’t want to come then it’s okay.” Mina stood up from my bed and went for the door.

“Wait!” I called at her. “Sure, I’ll come. It’s been years since I have watched one of those.”

“Okay. I’ll meet you at the school gate tomorrow.” Mina smiled for a moment but quickly went out of the door.

 

The next day, I’ve waited for Mina in front of the school gate. I was waiting for her for almost fifteen minutes when she called me.

“Meet me at the coffee shop by the end of the street.” Mina said through the phone.

I did as I was told and I saw her sitting in front of the coffee shop.

“Why wait here?”

“I don’t want anyone to see us together.”

“Aish!” I raised my eyebrows and started walking beside her.

 

When we arrived at the mall, a lot of people crowded the activity center. The modern dance showcase featured underground dancing groups. Mina and I found our way through the crowd and found ourselves a good spot near the stage.

Some of the performing groups covered EXO, BTS and SHINee while others did western hip hop. When I was younger, I went to these showcase with my friends. I even did boy group covers with Mark and Jackson. However, I’d stop going to these events because I focused myself on my studies, and both Mark and Jackson were preoccupied with basketball practice.

After the show, I asked Mina if she wanted to wander throughout the mall. She rejected my request first but quickly changed her mind. As we walk around, we came upon a cotton candy stand and bought some.

“Woah! Look at the size of this cotton candy.” I exclaimed in excitement. The cotton candy was twice as big as my face.

“You easily get excited with small things.” Mina took a bite from her cotton candy.

“Well, I’m just a simple person with simple needs.” I tasted mine and it was sweet. I look at Mina’s whose cotton color was different from mine. “What’s the flavor of yours? Mine’s pineapple.”

“It’s strawberry-” Mina wasn’t able to finish what she was about to say when I took a bite from her cotton candy. “Ya, why did you do that!”

“I wanted to taste it. I like strawberry flavor more. Want to switch.” I offered mine first.

“No.” Mina shook her head. And the funny thing was she was blushing.

“You look cuter when you’re blushing.” I .

“Stop saying those kind of things!” She suddenly punched my arm. Her face was even redder than before.”

“Sorry, can’t help it. I’m a candy boy.” I chuckled as I took another bite from my cotton candy.

We continued walking around the mall and then, we came upon a restaurant. Inside the restaurant, I saw someone familiar. It was Nayeon and she was talking with someone. I looked carefully to see who she was talking with, and I realized that it was Mark. The two of them were laughing together as they share a conversation. My mood changed. Somehow, my heart sunk and I felt a bit jealous.

Before I knew it, Mark noticed and waved at us.

 

____________________

Author's note:

Woah! I smell a cat fight brewing lol~ I'm glad I updated before Christmas Eve. I'll be updating again after New year. Please comment about your reaction for this chapter. Happy Holidays everyone and have a wonderful New Year!