Chapter 27: Truth

I Think I Like You

 

NAYEON’S POV

 

Today was the day of our college exams examination. I was getting ready when my mother suddenly entered my bedroom.

“Good luck on your exam, sweetie.” My mom said as she kissed my forehead.

“Thank you, eomma.”

“You father and I are always here to support you.” She hugged me tightly and I bid her farewell before leaving.

I took the bus and listened to Ariana Grande’s Greedy. This has been my favorite song for a while now. Suddenly, the thought of the auditions came into my mind and I thought that if I were to do it, this would have been my audition piece. But, I guess my dream of being a singer now is just a far dream.

After the bus ride, I have to walk to the examination venue and I was pleased to see that the flowers of the cherry blossom trees are starting to bloom.

“Stop looking at the trees or you’ll focus.” I turned around and saw that it was Jinyoung.

“Are you ready to reach that top spot?”

“Of course since studying is the only thing I’m good at.” He smiled at me. “Are you sure you’re taking this?”

“Yeah, why would you ask that?”

“Well, I heard from Sana that’s it’s your audition date. I think it would be a waste not to go there since it’s the last day of the auditions.”

“It would be a waste not to do the exam. Besides, I already chose what path I’ll take.” I raised my fist and made a fighting sign.

“I don’t mind whatever decision you make, but I still think you’d make a wonderful singer.”

Jinyoung and I were about to enter the venue when we heard a car beeping at us. We looked at the the car. Mark suddenly came out and then started running towards our direction.

“What are you doing here?” He blurted out to my face.

“I’m taking my college entrance exam.”

“No, you’re not. You’re coming to JYP with me.”

“Huh?” I was bewildered at what he said.

“You’re coming with me and you’re going to the auditions. Now come on. We can’t be late.”

“Let Nayeon decide.” Jinyoung suddenly cut Mark off.

“Nope, she’s coming with me so you turn around and take that exam.” Mark said to him before turning to me. “Stop forcing yourself to do things that you don’t want to. You want to be an idol, right? Then do it!”

“But I-”

“He’s right. Do the things that makes you happy. Your parents will understand.” Jinyoung said to me.

It was a tough decision but they were right. I still want to be an idol and I want to go to the auditions.

“I want to go to the auditions.” I said out loud. “But, I think I will be late.”

“I didn’t brought the car for nothing.” Mark raised the keys. “Come on.”

“Thank you guys.” I waved good bye to Jinyoung and followed Mark inside the car.

To tell you the truth, I was nervous. I never did anything spontaneous in my life. When, I lost at the competition, I felt my world coming down. I thought that maybe being an idol wasn’t really for me. I did my best to take it out of my mind but in the end, I realized that I was really happiest when I’m singing in front of the crowd.

“Don’t be nervous. You can do it.” Mark said to me as he drive.

“I haven’t practice or anything.”

“You can do it. Just sing your heart out. Besides, I heard you sing a lot of times. JYP would be a fool if he didn’t accept you.”

“Then, I’ll do my best.”

We arrived in JYP five minutes before my audition schedule. I got off the car and looked at the building. I was coward before, but because of my friends I had earned more courage to face my doubts and fears to chase my dreams.

“Nayeon, trust me. You’re amazing. I know you can do it.” Mark finally said to me.

“If you believe in me, then I will believe in myself.” I smiled at him before entering the door.

 

After the auditions, I went of the building and saw Mark, Sana, and Jackson waiting for me. I ran towards them and gave them a hug.

“How was the auditions?” Sana asked me.

“I’m not sure but I sang Greedy.”

“I’m sure you did great.” She hugged me once more. “On the other hand, I feel like I’m not going to be accepted. I stuttered at my introduction and the judges laughed at me. Why am I so clumsy again?”

“That’s just the introduction. I’m sure you did a lot better at your audition piece.” Jackson said soothingly and held Sana’s hands.

Sana looked a bit surprised at his actions. “Why are you suddenly holding my hands? Don’t tell me you like me.”

“Do you think I would hold your hand if I didn’t like you? Of course I like you!” Jackson confessed.

Sana blushed at what he said. “B-but don’t you have a girlfriend? I saw you walking with a girl after school,”

“That’s my cousin from Hong Kong. I was showing her around the city.” He explained. “Besides, how can I look at another girl when I’m head over heels for you?

“Then, you should have told me earlier! I was really jealous but I guess it is okay now.” Sana kissed him on the cheek.

Mark and I exchanged glances.

“This is going fast than what I thought.” Jackson started blushing hard.

“Well you said you like me and I like you. I don’t like beating around the bush.” Sana took his arm. “Come on, let’s start our date.”

Mark and I laughed softly as we watch them walk together.

“Kids…” Mark said. “They grow up so fast.”

“You sound like an old man.”

“How about you Nayeonie. Isn’t there anyone you like?” He asked me as we walk along.

“I do. In fact, I’ve been liking him for a long time but he’s into someone now.”

“Really?” He looked at me and raised an eyebrows. “Do I know him?”

“I think you know him very well.” I replied and it was funny how he looked so confused.

“Is he a part of the basketball team? It’s not Jackson, right?”

“Of course not! But yeah, he’s in the basketball team.”

“Tell me who’s that and I’ll help you out.” Mark stopped walking and looked me in the eye. “You’re talented, smart, and pretty. I can’t imagine any guy not falling for you.”

“Well, there’s one and I’m looking at him now.” I finally let it out. “I don’t mind if you won’t like me back. I’m fine being your friend and I want to stay by your side even if it might hurt.”

Mark and I have been friends for years and I often wonder if I had been honest with him. It feels like this was the very first time that I told him what I really felt.

“That was a joke.” I said and started laughing at him.

He looked at me for a while and started laughing himself. “You really had me going there. I thought you were serious. God, that scared me.”

“You’re really gullible. Come on, you still have to treat me some jajamyeon.”

“Okay. I will.” He patted my head and we started walking.

I guess I have to lie to him once more. As I think about it, I don’t want anything to change between us yet. It’s true that I want to stay beside him no matter how much it would hurt. Maybe the time will come when I will finally have the courage to speak with him and pour out my heart, but for now walking beside him like this is enough.

 

 

______________________________

Author's note:

For this chapter, I decided to highlight the supporting characters but for the next chapter/s I'll focus on Jinyoung and Mina. I think there might me atmost three chapters left. I think hehehe. I'm still writing them but I promise to upload within the week. Continue to enjoy reading and comment down. ^^