Chapter 23: Unrequited Feelings

I Think I Like You

 

Mina’s POV

 

It’s 8:30PM in the evening and I’m in the bus station waiting for Jinyoung to come. He told me that we would have dinner after his cram school but he was already an hour late. I tried calling him but he won’t pick up his phone. I’m really annoyed with him right now. I continued to stare at the busy streets as I wait for Jinyoung to come. I was loss in my thoughts that I didn’t notice Mark passed by me with his bicycle.

“Yo! What are you doing here at this hour?” He came back as soon he realized it was me.

“Why do you keep on following me? Are you my stalker?” I asked him.

“Excuse me your highness, I didn’t know you own the streets.” Mark started removing his helmet. “I’m on my way home from basketball practice. Meeting you here is just a coincidence.”

“Oh, destiny.”

“Maybe we are fated to be with each other.” He smiled at the cheekiness of his remark. “Come on, let’s get some coffee.”

“Okay.” I looked at my phone. It seems that Jinyoung won’t show up so I turned my phone off. I rode at the back of Mark’s bike and he motioned my hand to cling onto his hips.

“For safety, your majesty.” He finally said.

We went to a coffee shop and ordered two Americanos. I was about to pay mine but Mark insisted that it was his treat.

“You should stop buying me things.” I said to him as I took a sip of my coffee.

“I can’t. You’re lucky your Oppa is rich.” He replied which made me giggled.

“Oppa?”

“A lot of girls call me that. I’d really appreciate if you also call me Oppa.”

“I’d prefer to call you Ajussi.” I replied and both of us laughed.

“You’re really beautiful, Minari.” Mark suddenly said and I can’t help but smile at his remark.

“Why are you so nice to me? Are you like that to every other girls?”

“I’m nice towards girls but I put extra effort for you.”

“You’re a sweet guy Mark. I wish Jinyoung can be the same.” I stared down at my coffee. “He’s barely nice to me. He keeps on doing things that makes me upset.”

“He’s an egg-head. I can’t really understand why you dumped me over him.”

“I don’t too.” I gave him a faint smile. Mark really is an interesting person. Now, I can understand why a lot of girls are easily attracted to him.

 

 

Mark accompanied me on my way home. As we walked on the street, I can see Jinyoung standing in front of the gate calling someone over his phone. Seeing his face, he looked a bit anxious.

“Where have you been?” He asked me as soon as our eyes met. He took a quick glace of Mark and then back to me. “Do you know what time it is?”

“I’m quite aware of the time.” I answered him. “What are you doing outside?”

“I’m trying to get a signal. I think my phone got some problem.” Jinyoung replied.

“I don’t think it’s your phone though.”

Jinyoung gave a deep sigh and then turned to Mark. “What are you doing here at this hour?”

“I was-”

“We were on a date.” I said before Mark could finish what he was saying.

“Y-yeah, it seem that we’re dating now.” Mark suddenly put his arm over my shoulder. I was surprised of his actions that I couldn’t do anything.

“Oh.” Jinyoung stared at the both of us. “Really?”

“Well-”

“Yes. Earlier that she realized that it would be better if we started dating.” This time Mark cut me off.

“I said that?” I looked at Mark.

“Of course you did.” He winked at me and I was dumbfounded that I just nodded back.

“I see. Congratulations.” Jinyoung turned around and left the two of us.

“What do you think you’re doing?!” I elbowed Mark’s stomach which he let a small cry of pain.

“I was just backing you up.” Mark was starting to giggle softly.

“How can you lie like that?” I asked him.

“Well, you didn’t say anything.”

“I was too surprised to react.”

“Don’t worry much about it.” Mark rode his bicycle and started wearing his helmet. “Think of it like this, if Jinyoung likes you then he won’t let you date me. But if he just let us continue to date, then he doesn’t care about you at all.”

“You’re crazy, Mark.”

“Maybe, but hey I’m just being more straightforward in my approach. Be careful though, it will be more advantageous for me. I can already see that you’ll fall in love with me instead.” Mark started to paddle before I can say anything else.

“He’s crazy.” I told myself before entering the house. I removed my shoes and went to the living room. I saw grandma watching Circle, and I must say that Gong Seung Yeon looked pretty in front of the screen.

I climbed at the stairs to my room when Jinyoung came out to the hallway from the bathroom. He hesitated for a moment but then passed me by towards his bedroom door. I was about to enter my room when Jinyoung called out my name.

“Mina” He called to me. “Did you really went on a date with Mark?”

“Y-yeah.” I answered. “Why?” I was really curious of what his reaction would be. I want to test if what Mark said earlier was true, that if Jinyoung cared for me, then he would be against the idea of me dating Mark.

For a moment, Jinyoung just looked straight at me. Finally, he said “Good.”

Good?! I was screaming in my mind. How can he say it so easily!

“Good?” I asked him.

He nodded. “Yeah. I’m glad you’re giving him a chance.”

“I’m glad I did.” I replied. “Why did you stood me up earlier?” I asked before entering my room.

“I was tired.”

“You should have called me.”

“Sorry. I forgot.” Jinyoung said before closing his door.

I went inside my room and slammed the door. I jumped onto my bed and buried my face with a pillow before screaming. I was so mad at Jinyoung! I can’t understand how he can be so insensitive and stupid at the same time. I hate him so much that I was restraining myself from punching his face. But most of all, I was really hurt about what he said. Doesn’t he care a bit about me? About my feelings? Don’t I even matter to him even though I told him that I love him? Before I knew it, I found myself crying.