Chapter 3: Changing Winds

I Think I Like You

 

It was finally morning. It was Monday and it’s just the start of the week, however, I feel so tired already. Last night, Mina came bursting in my room and asked me to transfer all her things in my room and mine to hers. She did not leave me alone so I did what I was told to do so.

“Hey, you don’t look so good man.” Mark tapped at me.

“I had a tough night.” I replied looking at the seat in my back.

“Why? What happened?”

“Your question will soon be answered.” I pointed towards the door.

 

Our teacher came in and alongside him was Mina.

“Good morning students. Let me introduce you your new classmate. Mina, please introduce yourself.”

“Isn’t she the girl you are talking about? The one who’s the daughter of your mom’s boss.” Nayeon who was seated beside me asked.

“Yeah, she is.” Thinking of it, I should have not agreed with my mom to let her live inside the house. Just one night and she was already a trouble maker.

“Annyeong haseyo.” Mina gave a ninety degrees bow. “I’m Myoui Mina, I’m from Japan. Nice to meet you all. Please take care of me.”

My classmates cheerfully greeted her. Some of the boys were even clapping and yelling including Jackson. Well, I can’t blame them. She really look beautiful and angelic.

“Okay, settle down everyone.” My teacher ordered us. “So, let’s see. Mina-ssi, please sit next to Mark.” My teacher pointed at the empty seat behind Nayeon.

“Teacher, can I change seats with Mark!” Jackson suddenly shouted.

“Shut up, Mr. Wang.” Our teacher ignored Jackson and the whole class burst with laughter.

Mina sat quietly beside Mark. Mark is usually very quiet and doesn’t like talking with strangers. I was quite surprise when I heard him introduced himself to Mina.

“Hi, I’m Mark Tuan. I’m from California but my parents are Chinese.” Mark held out his hand.

“Hi, nice meeting you.” Mina shyly smiled and shook Mark’s hand. I guess they will be close friends.

 

During lunch break, my classmates swarm around Mina, all were excited to know her. Sana was so happy to have another Japanese girl in our class.

“Hey, what’s with the frown?” Nayeon suddenly asked me.

“Nothing. I guess I’m tired.” I smiled weakly at her.

“Mina seems quite nice.”

“Well, I guess she hasn’t let her true colors out just yet.”

“Oh come on your just being too negative. You’re just adjusting since you have a new person inside your house. How about we go out later and eat some kimbap?”

“Your treat?”

“Ah you’re so stingy! Well, just this once, okay.” Nayeon smiled sweetly at me.

 

After class, Nayeon and I went out to a kimbap restaurant before playing in an arcade. Spending time with her was always fun. I remember when we were kids we often played at the monkey bars at the park. Nayeon would always complain about how she could not cross it while I can. So, what I did was I carried her on my shoulders as she made her way through.

“Jinyoung” Nayeon suddenly called me as we walk home.

“Hmmm”

“Summer’s going to be over soon. I can already feel the wind changing.”

“Yeah, I can feel that too.”

“Time fly so fast. Next thing we know, we’ll be graduating from high school.”

“Yeah, have you applied to any universities yet?”

“Not yet.” Nayeon suddenly stopped at her tracks and I looked at her. “You know how I wanted to become an idol, right?”

“Then, audition in a company.”

“I don’t think I can. My parents don’t want me to.” Nayeon slightly bowed, her hair hiding her face. “Besides, I don’t think I can pass the auditions.”

I walked closer to her and pinched her cheeks.

“Ow! What are you doing?” Nayeon blared at me.

“Stop saying those kind of things.” I looked at her deep in her eyes. “Don’t give up without trying. If you want to become a singer then, I’ll support you.”

Nayeon smiled and started walking again. “Come on, Jinyoung. We still have a long journey ahead of us.”

I followed next to her. It was already September and the cold autumn winds are starting to blow again. However, I feel warm.

 

Later that night, I was doing my assignments in the living room when my grandmother suddenly came in with a cabbage in her hand.

“Preparing kimchi, grandma?”

“Jinyoung, have you seen Mina?”

“Isn’t she in her room? I mean my room which she stole from me?” I answered softly. Making my last sentence inaudible.

“Well, I haven’t seen her yet. Don’t tell me you forgot about her?”

I was taken aback of what my grandmother said. I kind of forgotten that she was still new in our country and that she still doesn’t know how to commute.

“Jinyoung! So you have forgotten about Mina.”

“Hey, I was busy. Come on, she can find her way home. She commuted with me on our way to school.”

“Ah, you insolent boy! Go out and find her! It’s already late at night.” My grandmother threw the cabbage at me.

“Yes! Yes!” I immediately took my jacket and put on my shoes. I hurriedly run on the way back to our school. I’m not sure where she is, and then I realized that I still don’t have her number.

To be honest I was starting to feel nervous. It was already 9:00PM. I’m not sure where she is and if she’s safe. My heart was starting to beat fast. I was running so fast that I am starting to lose my breath. Mina, where are you?

 

__________________________________

Author's note:

I had fun writing this chapter. I'm bursting with new ideas to add on the upcoming chapters. So, please stay tuned. Don't forget to comment after reading. :)

BTW, today is TWICE's 1st Anniversary. Please greet them by joining the hastag #TWICE1stAnniversary