Chapter 14: Winter Holidays Part 1

I Think I Like You

 

JINYOUNG’S POV

Buzz. Buzz.

It was a cold morning when I felt something vibrating near me. I stretched out my hand to look for the vibrating object’s direction and realized that it was my phone. I checked out why was it vibrating and saw that Nayeon was calling me. I looked at the time and saw that it was already six o’clock in the morning.

Why would she call me this early in the morning? I asked inside my head. After a few seconds, I realized that I was late for our meet-up.

My friends and I were supposed to meet at the bus station by 5:30AM. We were going on a trip to Yongpyong for the first week of the winter holidays. I have overslept and now I am late for our meet up. I quickly bolted up from my bed and changed my clothes. I went to the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth. Good thing I packed up last night so I grabbed my bag, said goodbye to my grandma, and finally run to the bus stop as fast as I can.

“Wow, you’re so early Jinyoung.” Jackson jeered at me as I came. I can see that Mark’s van was already there and that everyone’s inside except Jackson who was waiting for me.

“I’m sorry. For some reason, my alarm didn’t work.” I said while catching my breath.

“Save your apologies later. Hop in.” Jackson pointed out to the back seat beside the luggage.

As I went inside the van, I looked around to say hi to everyone. I greeted the driver good morning and waved to Mark who was sitting next to the driver’s seat. As I turned to the seats in the second row, I was surprise to see Mina sitting alongside Nayeon and Sana. I never knew she was coming. How come nobody told me about this?!

“Move it Jinyoung!” Sana whined at me so I hurriedly took a seat beside the luggage.

The drive to Yongpyong from Seoul took almost 4-5 hours. I looked around the van to see what my friends are doing. Mark had his earphones on and was looking out the window. Sana and Nayeon were watching a Korean drama while Jackson was asleep. I looked at what Mina was doing and saw that she was playing some video games in her phone. Unexpectedly, Mina took a glance at me and for a moment our eyes met. I quickly removed my gaze from her and looked out of the window.

After what happened in Everland, things became really awkward between us, at least on my side. To be honest, I really don’t know what to say or how to react to Mina’s sudden confession. Yes, I consider her as a good friend but nothing more. I don’t know how or why she like me but I hope that she would stop. Out of all my friends, I already made clear to her that I like Nayeon and that’s it. I don’t want her to expect that I would have the same feelings for her.

After the long drive, we finally got to our destination. At first, Jackson said that her aunt would let us stay in their hotel but to our surprise, her aunt let us stay at their vacation house instead.

“Listen everyone, my aunt said that we can use their home as long as we don’t break anything.” Jackson pointed out. “So, don’t let yourself get too wild.”

“Aye, aye Mr. Wang.” Sana gave him a salute.

“Come on, everyone. Let’s get our luggage out of the car and bring them into our room.” Nayeon said and everyone did what she ordered.

The boys and girls stayed in different rooms. The girls stayed in the master’s bedroom while we share the guest’s room. We fixed our things and met at the front door.

Yongpyong is popular for its ski resorts so we wasted no time and eagerly played into the snow. Jackson and Sana went to the most difficult trail. For some reason, the two of them were in a contest to see who was a better skier. They both run and yelled wildly like little children and I can’t help but get second hand embarrassment from them.

As I watched the two 4-D creatures play along, somebody threw a snowball at me. I turned around and saw that it was Nayeon. I quickly kneeled and made one myself but she was prepared and threw a lot of them at me like a machine gun.

“You’re too mean!” I said as I removed the snow from my face.

“That’s your punishment for being late.” Nayeon said with a serious tone.

“How many times do I have to say sorry?”

“As much as you have to.” She giggled softly.

The two of us gently skied along the snow. Nayeon was a good skier and showed me a few tricks that she learned in the past years. I tried to copy her but failed miserably. Both of us laughed at my lack of sportsmanship.

“You’re just good at studying Jinyoung. You should apply yourself more on outdoor stuff.” She scolded me.

“I’m trying my best ma’am but I just can’t find anything that interest me. Maybe I should try singing and dancing.”

“Yeah, I think you should. You might be better than me at doing that.”

“Nope. You’re the best singer there is for me.” I smiled at her.

“Maybe for you. I decided to stop pursuing my dream as a singer and instead work hard to go to a university.” She smiled meekly back at me.

“Why is that? You shine the brightest when you’re on stage.” To be honest, I was saddened about what she said.

“I don’t know I guess there are just some things that are not for you no matter how much you work hard for them.” She said almost inaudibly as she glides along the snow.

I watched Nayeon skied along the snow. She looks so beautiful that she looked like an angel who came down from heaven. As I stand there, I could hear Mark’s voice behind me. I turned around and saw that she was teaching Mina how to ski.

Mina was struggling to balance herself and Mark was supporting her. For a moment, she stumbled down but Mark caught her by the waist. He was holding her tightly which got me so irritated.

“Mark seems to like Mina a lot.” Jackson came beside me as he finished the trail first and Sana catches up.

“Well, Mark seems to like a lot of girls.”

“Yeah and girls seem to fall in love with him so easily.” Jackson elbowed my side. “How I wish I had his charm. Mina seems to be caught up into Mark’s trap.”

“I don’t think so, man.” I shook my head.

“Why would you say that?”

“He’s not her style.”