Chapter 18: Back in my Hometown

I Think I Like You

 

MINA’S POV

It has been two days since I left South Korea. Seriously, I wish I haven’t listened to my father when he told me that we will be spending the rest of the holidays together since he did not tell me that my stepmother would be with us.

We were eating breakfast at our house in Kobe and I did not have the appetite to eat so I kept on poking my food when my father saw me.

“You know what you’re doing is rude.” He frowned at me.

“Sorry. I just don’t feel like eating.” I put my chopsticks down.

“So how was South Korea, darling?” My stepmother looked at me with interest.

“It was good. Better than here.” I gave her my I-don’t-like-you-so-don’t-talk-to-me stare.

“Better than here? Here in Kobe you live in one of the finest mansions, eat the exquisite cuisines, and go to the most prestigious school. How can it be better?” My stepmother let out a laughter at what I said.

“Well, any place without me seeing your face is so much better.” I replied with a deep and serious tone.

“Mina!” My father called my name sternly. “Apologize to your mother.”

“She’s not my mother.” I stood out from the table. “I think I will be staying at the penthouse uptown. Call me when you need me. But please don’t.”

I went out of our house and I walked through the city. It has been months since I’ve been in Kobe and I somewhat missed my hometown. To be honest, I seldom get homesick when I was in Seoul. If it weren’t for my stepmother then I wouldn’t have decided to study out of the country.

I went to the mall since it was my favorite place in the city. I missed all the stalls and boutiques that I used to visit as well as the restaurants I used to dine in. It really felt like I’m a stranger in my own land.

While strolling down the mall, I decided to buy some gifts for my friends. The first person that I thought of was Jinyoung. I really miss him. I really wanted to call him but I’m annoyed by the fact that he did not come when grandma sent me off to the airport. I do get the fact that he’s upset at me because I did not tell him about my plans. I mean why should I tell him? He is not my boyfriend, right? At least not yet. Besides, he was still sad about what happened with him and Nayeon.

As I continue to stroll through the mall, a guy suddenly approached me.

“Hey there miss, why are you walking all by yourself?” He said to me. I looked at him from head to toe and I can figure out that he was in his mid-twenties. He looks like those old grown men that are still free loading in their parents’ house.

“Why? Is there are problem with that?” I continued to walk away from him because he reeks of alcohol.

“Not that I have any problem with that but I think it would be better if you would come with me.” He walked in front of me and gave me a sly smile.

“I don’t think that’s possible.” I glared at him. “Get out of my sight.”

“Don’t be such a stubborn girl, dear.” He grabbed on to my arm which caught me off guard.

“What the heck? Get away from me!” I tried to free my arm from his grasp but he was too strong.

“Come on now. Don’t be shy.” He was now dragging me to come with him.

“I said get away-” I was pulling myself away from him when a familiar person came between us and freed me from his grasp.

“Can’t you tell if a girl doesn’t want to be with you?” The familiar voice, who spoke in English, pulled me behind his back. I looked carefully and could not believe that Mark was here in Japan.

“What do you think are you doing?!” The man said angrily.

“Come on, let’s go.” Mark did not understand a word the man said and motioned me to walk away but the man suddenly grabbed him by the shoulders and punched him on the face.

“Holy crap!” I was surprised of what was happening but Mark composed himself and punched the man back and made him lie on the ground.

Suddenly, a security guard came in to stop the commotion we were causing.

“What is happening here?” The security guard.

“This man was harassing me that’s why my friend defended me.” I told him the whole situation and he grabbed the man and took him somewhere for disciplinary action.

I looked back at Mark and I could see that his lower lip was bleeding. I grabbed his arm and told him to follow me inside the nearest convenience store. We sat down at one of the tables and I cleaned his would with my handkerchief. We were so close to each other that I could feel him breathing.

“You are more beautiful up close.” He said suddenly.

“What can I say? It’s genetics.” I smiled at him. “Thank you for helping me.”

“Anything for you.”

“What are you doing here in Japan?” I asked him while I took some ice inside a gauze pad before gently pressing it to his swollen lips.

“I wanted to see you.” He answered while he held my free hand. “Sana said that she will be going back to Osaka a couple of days ago. She also mention that you’d be back here in Kobe so I quickly bought a ticket and flew here. I didn’t know your email so I couldn’t contact you. I was looking for you for days and I was starting to worry that I may not bump into you.”

“Well, I commend you for taking all that trouble just to see me.” I took my hand away from his and tried to avoid his gaze because I was feeling a bit embarrassed.

“I want to know more about you and I’m hoping that you would give me a chance.”

It felt so awkward and pleasing to hear those words. “I think every girl in class would hate me if they knew that I’m the reason why your handsome face is bruised.” I couldn’t think of anything to say so I tried to change the topic.

“You could at least do me a favor as a sign of gratitude.” Mark replied.

“What do you want?”

“Just be with me for a whole day tomorrow. Let’s tour around your hometown.”

“I can’t tomorrow is Christmas Eve. I think I have to be with my family.”

“Just until 6PM, please.” He gave his pleading puppy eyes.

“Okay, until six since I have to be at the family dinner.”

Sugoi!” It was the first time I heard him saying anything in Japanese. “It’s a date then.”

I couldn’t believe that I have a date with Mark in Japan.