Chapter 5: Games and Chases

I Think I Like You

 

Today was the start of the interschool sports tournament. Both Mark and Jackson are part of the school’s basketball team. We came to the stadium to cheer them up.

“Wow, that’s a nice banner you made for me. Thanks guys.” Mark awed at the big banner Nayeon and Sana created for him.

“Glad you like it. Nayeon-unnie was the one who designed it.” Sana said and then, Nayeon slightly pinched her.

“Hey, what about me? Don’t I get one too?” Jackson interrupted.

“Why, would we make one for you?” Sana raised her eyebrows.

“Aish!” Mr. Wang pouted.

“Don’t be sad. I made one for you.” I opened up a piece of paper with the words Go Jackson Wang written on it and everybody laughed except for Jackson who kept on pouting.

I looked at the stadium and it was jam-packed. A lot of people came in because today’s match was against our rival school.

As I looked at the far side of the stadium, I saw Mina with some of her friends. She had been here for a month now and I can say that she has adapted well. A lot of girls find her interesting since she is from Japan while a lot of boys (even upperclassmen) asks her out on dates which she ignores.

Well, we don’t talk regularly at school. I don’t really know why, I guess that we just don’t mix together. Nobody even knows that we live together except for my friends. Back at home, she usually stays in her room either holding her phone or playing video games at her laptop. On the other hand, I spend most of my free time studying or chatting with Omicron-shi.

Anyways, the game had already started. Our team played well during the first quarter however, the opponent caught up by the end of second quarter.

“Aish! The opponents are just too strong.” Sana exclaimed. “Jackson, get a grip!”

“It’s already break time. I’ll go out for a bit. Want me to buy you something?” I asked Nayeon who looked so worried.

“Oh, nothing.” Her eyes were fixed on Mark who was sitting on the bench.

“Okay, then.” I walked out of our seats and looked for the bathroom. After doing my business, I went to a vending machine to buy some drinks. I was punching the numbers when I heard two girls waiting behind me. I accidently overheard their conversation.

“Gosh, I just hate her!” the first girl said. “She thinks highly of herself just because she’s beautiful.”

“Did you know that Kyungwan-oppa asked her out on a date? Do you know how much I like him? Ugh! She’s just a .” the second girl replied.

“Do you know how many girls secretly hates her? I bet half of the school are just faking to be nice to her.”

“That Mina. If it weren’t for her money I wouldn’t pretend to be her friend.”

“Yeah, the only thing she’s worth is her money.”

My drink dropped down the hole and I picked it up. I looked behind me and saw that it was my classmates, Soo Min and Shin Ri. I was shocked because they were Mina’s closest friends.

“Oh, hi Jinyoung. Anyways, have you watched the newest episode of Legend of the Blue Sea?” Shin Ri asked Soo Min as the latter punched in their orders.

I walked in the hallway and as I turned to the next corner, I saw Mina standing with her back against the wall. She looked really down. I know she overheard everything. Those girls' voices were loud as if they were holding a microphone.

“Hey-” I was about to ask her something but she hurriedly ran back to the game.

When I came back to the game, the third quarter was already starting. Jackson passed the ball and Mark shot a three-point in the corner. Our school’s side cheered so loudly. I can hear Sana’s voice cracking. However, my focus was not on the game but on Mina. Soo Min and Shin Ri came back and she smiled at them. They started talking and laughing as if everything they said in front of the vending machine was just my imagination.

 

Our team won the game and everybody was ready to party. Mark invited us to their house since his family prepared a big feast to celebrate (they really expected us to win). My friends and I were walking on our way out as well as Mina and her friends.

The sky outside the stadium was dark. It will rain soon. I walked closer to them to ask where they were going when I overheard their conversation.

“I think I’m going home. I feel really tired.” Mina smiled at Shin Ri and Soo Min.

“Are you sure? Mark’s throwing a big party at their house!” Soo Min exclaimed to her.

“I think I used up all my energy. Maybe next time.”

“Okay, if you say so.” Shin Ri suddenly grab a hold of Mina’s arm. “Minari, can you give us some money? It’s too embarrassing not to give a congratulatory present to Mark.”

“Oh, here.” Mina handed them 50,000 won.

“Sweet!” Shin Ri took the cash, and both girls hurriedly joined the group who were on their way to Mark’s house.

I slowly walked closer to Mina who was walking to the taxi stop.

“Are you okay with that?” I asked her.

“With what?”

“They were talking behind your back and then pretends to be friends with you so they can smooch of some money.”

“It’s none of your business. Stay away from me. I don’t want people to know we live together. Heck, I don’t even want to do anything with you.” She said blandly at me. “Taxi!”

A taxi stopped and she stepped in. She was about to close the door but I hold it off.

“Are you sure you want to go home alone?” I asked her peeping through the taxi’s door.

“Why are you so annoying? Leave me alone. Just join the freaking party.”

“The party can wait.” I suddenly got inside the car and told the driver our address. I looked at Mina and I can see that she was pissed off with me. “Listen, I don’t want to sound like a nagging mother but you are old enough to know the difference between friends and users.”

As we rode on our way back home, it started to rain heavily.

“Oh my god.” Mina spoke uncomfortably.

“Friends will not talk behind your back.” I continued. “They should be honest with you and tell straight-forward if they have a problem with you.”

Mina started fidgeting on her seat. Beads of sweat are starting to form on her forehead.

“People like that. They are not friends. They are snakes waiting to bite you-”

A sudden loud of thunder roared to the sky. All of us where taken aback. But Mina’s breathing suddenly got heavy.

“A-ajushi, stop the car.” Her voiced cracked.

“What?” The driver asked.

“I said STOP!” She suddenly screamed. The driver quickly stopped the car and she went out of the car.

I quickly paid the driver and hurriedly followed her. She was running so fast in the middle of the street. She almost got hit by passing car. I was closely running behind her.

What was wrong with her? Why did she suddenly come out of the car? Where wa she running to?

 

___________________________

Author's note:

Took me a long time to write another chapter. There's just too much school work >...< I'll make it up to y'all by posting another chapter this weekend. ^^