Chapter 24: Tear in my Heart

I Think I Like You

 

NAYEON’S POV

 

Ever since the winter holidays ended, school has been tougher. A lot of assignments had piled up and now, most of the senior students are busy preparing for college admission exams. Jinyoung and I are both attending the same cram school. During lunch time we were occupied answering the math problems from our reviewer when I noticed that he has been frequently sighing and staring out into space.

“Are you okay?” I asked him.

“Hmmm? Yeah, just lost in my own thoughts.” He answered before continuing answering the problem.

“You know that’s not the right way of answering that. You should use sine instead of cosine.” I pointed out on his scratch paper.

“Oh, you’re right. Thanks.” He scratched out his solution before starting over again.

“Annyeong, my dear friends!” Sana came running towards us.

“Hi!” Jinyoung and I both answered.

“Nayeonie, have you downloaded the application forms I sent you?” Sana asked.

“Application forms?” Jinyoung asked.

“Yup. JYP is having an audition.” Sana answered. “Have you submitted yours yet?”

“Sorry, I forgot.” I lied. To tell the truth, I saw the audition forms a week ago but I decided not to join since I gave up my dream of becoming an idol after the competition.

“Aigoo! Hurry up and submit one.” Sana gave me a little pat on the back. “Oh! Should I invite Minari?” She said as soon as Mina entered the classroom.

“Yeah, I think you should.” I said to her.

“Mina!” Sana called out but Mina ignored her and took her seat. “Whoa, someone’s not in a good mood. What happened to your girlfriend?”

“She’s not my girlfriend.” Jinyoung said sternly.

“Really? You know what I’m starting to get confuse if you’re dating her or Mark is. I saw them last night together.” Sana looks eager to hear Jinyoung’s answer.

“I’m not dating her. Never did. I don’t know about her and Mark’s relationship though. You should ask her not me.” Jinyoung replied.

“Speaking of the devil…”

Mark entered the room carrying two lunchboxes and went beside Mina’s seat. “Hey, my maid brought me this. Come and have lunch with me.”

“O-okay.” Mina answered and everyone in class started whispering.

“Isn’t he trying a bit hard?” I exclaimed.

“Why are you jealous?” Sana smirked at me.

“Not as jealous as you are with Jackson’s girlfriend.” I replied to her and her smirk disappeared quickly.

“Jackson’s dating somebody?” Jinyoung asked.

“Yeah. I saw him hanging out with a girl from a different school.” Sana replied with a sullen tone.

“I never knew you like him.” Jinyoung’s eyes were so big from curiosity.

“What can I say, you boys are so thick. You cannot get anything from the signal us girls send.” Sana said before returning to her seat.

 

 

 

After cram school, Jinyoung accompanied me on my way home. I kept on telling him about the things I did on our vacation but then again, I noticed that he was not listening.

“Do you have any problems with Mina?” I asked him and he looked at me with those bewildered eyes as if he’s asking how I did found out. “I hit right of the bat.”

“It’s nothing big.”

“Are you jealous with Mark?”

Jinyoung just gave me a shrug.

“I know I do.” I said to him. “I’ve liked Mark for a long time now but he hasn’t noticed my feelings yet. I wish he would look at me like how he looks at Mina.”

“He’s stupid. I don’t know why you even like him.”

I giggled at his remark. “Is it alright if I tell you these kinds of things?”

Jinyoung looked at me for a moment and said, “I don’t mind. To be honest, it doesn’t hurt hearing those things like it’s supposed to.”

I smiled at him. I’m glad that he started to move on.

 

 

 

JINYOUNG’S POV

 

After leaving Nayeon at her house, I immediately started walking on my way home. As I walk around the corner, I saw a familiar person buying roasted sweet potatoes. As I approached the stall, I recognized that it was Mina. I wanted to avoid her so I started to fasten my pace but before I can pass by the stall, she turned around and saw me. I waved my hand to say hi but she just rolled her eyes.

“What are you doing?” I asked as I moved closer to her.

“Don’t talk to me. I’m mad at you.” She answered right away so I turned around away from her.

As I continue walking something fell on my head. I looked down and it was a sweet potato. Mina must have thrown it at me because she’s running towards my direction.

“Idiot! Why did you leave?” She said as she picked up the sweet potato she had thrown to me.

“You told me you didn’t want to talk to me.”

“Then, you should have talked to me! You should’ve said something nice so I can forgive you. Idiot.”

“Ah, I see. Next time I’ll do that. Let me hold that for you.” I noticed the paper bag full of roasted sweet potatoes.

“I can do it myself.” Mina avoided my hand which hurt me a little bit.

“Why are you angry at me?”

“Why wouldn’t I be? You stood me up last night.”

“Well, you went on a date with Mark. That must be a good consolation.” I replied and regretted right away. I can see that she became more furious at what I said that she started punching my arm.

“I hate you! You always do things that make me sad.” She kept on punching me so I held her hands. “I told you that I love you but you keep on hurting me.”

The last thing she said struck me the most. It felt like someone just spilled a cold bucket of ice on my very soul that I do not know what to say for a moment. Suddenly, Mina just quietly stood in front of me. I held her face with both my hands so I can see her.

“Have I really hurt you that much?” I asked her and tears started falling from her eyes.