Chapter 4: Parks and Mazes

I Think I Like You

 

It was already 9:00 PM and Mina hasn’t come back from school yet. Well technically, I kind of left her.

I was running on the way to our school. I was starting to feel nervous since it is already late at night and the streets are not the safest place for a foreigner.

By the time I came by our school, it was already locked. I asked the guard if there’s still someone inside but he said that everybody have already left. I’ve checked every stored and restaurants if they saw a foreign girl around my age, but all of them replied that they haven’t notice.

It was a chilly autumn night and the monsoon winds are blowing quite hard. I can smell that it could rain at any moment. I was quite exhausted from all the running and asking. I was really worried. I wondered if I should call on the police. Finally, I decided to go the park to rest. I bought some soda and sat by the bench.

It was surprisingly quiet. Nobody was around. It was almost ten in the evening and everyone must be inside their homes. Aigoo! Where could she be?! I was panicking inside.

I was about to take a sip from my soda when I heard a sound of crushing leaves. I looked around but there was not a single soul in the place but me. The sound was getting louder. I stood up and then, suddenly a girl fell out of the bushes.

“What in the world are you doing?” I was surprised and happy to see Mina.

“Oh, it’s you.” She said emotionless.

“Why are you here? Why didn’t you come home? Do you know what time it is?”

“Well, I was playing PokemonGo and got lost track of the time.”

I’m not sure what to feel about that but I smell something fishy.

“Go home. Walk out of the park.” I raised my eyebrows.

“Don’t order me around. Stupid!” She started walking away. The funny thing was she was walking as the wrong direction.

“Hahahaha” I laughed at her. “You didn’t got lost track of time because of PokemonGo. You just don’t have any sense of direction.”

“Well, I’m new here! It’s not like I’m familiar with the place.” She started blushing.

“Aish! You’re high maintenance. Well, what can I expect from a rich kid like you? You always have chaperons to assist you.”

“Stupid! If you didn’t left me then I wouldn’t have gone home alone.”

I noticed that her hands were shaking a little bit. Was she scared of being alone? Somehow, I felt sorry. I took off my jacket and threw it at her.

“Wear that. It’s quite cold.” I started walking towards the gate of the park.  Mina put on my jacket and I can feel her closely following behind me.

We were walking silently for a while. I looked at the night sky and saw countless of stars as well as the crescent moon.

“You know, you’re lucky you did not see Anjo.” I broke the silence.

“Who?” Mina replied softly.

“Anjo, the troll that lives in the park. When I was a kid a popular story about him was passed on. They said that he waits around the park, looking for his next prey. He usually eats the intestines of those of his victims. There are several times when a body was found. That’s why no one stays late at that park.”

“Ehh?” Mina suddenly took a step closer to me. I can feel our shoulders brushing. “No one would believe such stupid story.”

“Well, I wouldn’t ask you to believe me. It’s-” I was surprised by a sudden strike of lighting which was followed by a loud sound of thunder.

What surprised me even more was that Mina was tightly grabbing my sweater’s sleeves. Her eyes was big with fear. However, I felt quite uncomfortable being this close to her.

“Are you alright? You know this is a bit close for my taste.”

She immediately let go of my sleeves. Her hands slightly shaking. “Idiot. Let’s just go home.”

 

When we arrived at our house. My grandmother quickly served Mina’s dinner. I was tired so I went up to my new smaller room and fell on my bed. It was already raining hard. I can hear the strong wind banging my window pane. I closed my eyes and was about to fall asleep when my phone vibrated.

I looked onto the screen and it was a message from Omicron.

Omicron: Hey

Junior22: Hi

Omicron: I was lost in a maze earlier.

Junior22: Maze? Where is that?

Omicron: It was really scary. What made it even worse was that there was a thunderstorm.

Junior22: How did you come out?

Omicron: I run around. Alone.

Junior22: I’m glad you’ve found your way out.

Omicron: Actually, I don’t think I did. I’m still trapped.

I had chatted with Omicron for a while now and I can tell that he’s quite weird. He always tells me weird stories and I’m not sure if I believe them. Sometimes, I just can’t ride on to his imagination.

Omicron: Hey

Junior22: Yes?

Omicron: Talk to me please.

Junior22: I don’t know what to say.

Omicron: Just say anything.

Omicron-ssi might really be inside a maze. Maybe, he is running around trying to find his way out. But no matter how far he runs, he just can’t find the exit. And now, he is trapped. Sitting alone with no one to help him.

 

_________________________________

Author's note

It's been a long time since I updated. Sorry for that. I have a lot of school works lately.

BTW, have you checked out TWICE's new music video yet? I like it a lot. I've been singing it even when I'm in class. ^.^