Prologue

I Think I Like You

 

I don’t know how to describe the night when my mom called, informing me of her arrival. It was not that memorable. All I can remember was that I was sleeping on my desk, on the top of my assignments, when my cellphone vibrated.

Buzz. Buzz. Buzz.

I usually put my phone on vibrate mode since I do not want to be disturbed when I’m studying. When I looked at my phone, I realized that I had already missed twelve calls from my mom. I quickly scratched my eyes and answered the call.

“Eomonie, why did you call all of the sudden?”

“You cheeky boy. Jinyoungie, why weren’t you answering your phone?” My mom sounded a bit annoyed.

“I fell asleep. So why are you calling?”

“Ah! Is that how you greet your mom? I haven’t seen you in ten months and every time I call, you sound like you do not miss me. You break my heart.”

My mom has been working as a secretary in a company in Japan. I haven’t seen her since Christmas. It’s not like that I don’t miss her, it’s just that I’m used of not seeing her. I mean she has been working overseas for three years now and I’m really used to living with just my grandmother.

“I’m sorry. Come on, don’t be upset anymore. So, how are you?” I said over the phone trying to sooth her.

“Well, I’m fine. It’s just that I have a favor to ask.”

“What is it?” I was a bit hesitant.

“You see, the daughter of my boss will be studying there in Korea. She doesn’t have any relatives there and she needs a place to stay in. So, I told her that she can stay at our house.”

“You said what?” I was a little surprised that my mom was letting a complete stranger live with me and my grandmother. “Are you serious? Why let anybody live in here?”

“Come on, Jinyoungie. She just need a place to stay and fit in.”

“I’m not sure about this, eoma”

“Just do it, Jinyoungie! She’ll arrive there in a week so make sure to tell your grandmother to prepare the house. Also, I need you to fix her papers so she can enroll in your school. I’ll send her information so you better start doing it. Okay.”

“Eoma-” My mom suddenly hanged the call. I seriously can’t believe her letting a stranger live with us, not to mention that I have to run her documents so that she can start schooling once she arrived.

Buzz.

My phone vibrated again. This time my mom sent something to my email. I opened the attachment and saw that it was the documents of the daughter of her boss. I read on to her profile and looked at her picture. It says that her name is MYOUI MINA.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

I'm so excited about writing this story. This will be my first story, so please tell me about what you think. Hopefully, you'll enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it.