Chapter 6: Trying to fit in (Irene)

Hybrid's Mate

Chapter 6:

 

After Dara's cinematic memory faded, Seulgi broke the silence that has fallen at the mess hall. "The fairy child in the memory, it was you?" She said not tearing her eyes away from Seohyun.

 

"Yes." Seohyun answered shortly accompanied by a nod.

 

"You omitted something." Yoona couldn't help blurting out of jealousy.

 

Dara raised an eyebrow at her and snickered before answering her. "Yes, I did. But I don't think I owe you an explanation for that when the things I omitted aren't even related to the problem at hand we're having right now.”

 

Sensing the impending war between the two Taeyeon quickly butted in, "I don't understand, if that was you in the memory does that mean you're immortal just like Dara?" she asked.

 

Dara and Seohyun shared a brief glance with each other which didn't go unnoticed to Yoona's vigilant eyes.

 

"I’m not immortal like Dara unnie. I reincarnate." Seohyun then, unconsciously touched her shoulder the same way how Dara touched her shoulder in her memory at the throne room after receiving her lifelong mission.

 

Dara made a loud noise by placing her hand on the table trying to get everyone's attention on her again. "Don't ask her too much, you're focusing on the wrong topic here." Dara looked at Wendy before continuing again. "We have to discuss about who attacked Wendy's mate." She said shifting her gaze to Yoon, scaring her off with a glare. "I didn’t show my memory to this lot for nothing. Keep your heads together, and help us figure out who the tried to harm Wendy's mate!"

 

Yuri can see Dara's on her 'protection' mode outburst, but she sensed that she could be covering for the fairy philosopher too. Whichever is it, she realized that she did have a point. Her sister's mate is on the line. Not just anyone, but her younger sisters mate. They have to focus. "Dara is right. The only clue we have right now is there are two survivors from that happening. With the werewolves, fairies, and vampires, wiping out the whole hybrid and demon clan- plus Dara killing all of her kind, we are left with Jiyoung and the dragon he have summoned at the battle field."

 

"No. I think you missed someone." Sunny interjected. "The kid Dara bit, she might still be alive.”

 

"She could be and she could not be. She'll need my blood to survive, or else she'll just be another E class vampire." Dara said.

 

"Or Jiyoung could give is blood to her." Hara said thoughtfully. "That could work too." Dara nodded in agreement.

 

"You're right, there's that possibility too. Tho, vampires aren't immortal- they age differently than other supernatural kind. Slower, I may say. Jiyoung and the dragon may be alive too. As you saw, Jiyoung is a talented wizard demon. He knows a lot of spell that can prolong life. But having harmed so much from the spells Dara have made, Jiyoung's probability of being alive is lower than expected. Because of that, we can assume that so does the dragon." Seohyun added.

 

"So, you're saying it's safe to assume that Jjyoung and the dragon may be dead?" Sunny threaded her question carefully, to which Seohyun replied with a curt confident nod. "Yes, for dragons are long gone extinct anyway."

 

"No. You're wrong. They still exist..." Jessica said with a cold tone, gripping Yuri's hand under the table tightly. "They're still alive. Very much alive."

 

Yuri could feel her mate's shaking. "Please excuse us." she said while gently guiding her mate out of the mess hall.

 

Hara who have just joined Taeyeon's pack recently asked, "What was that about?" Seohyun had to wait patiently for the answer to why Jessica reacted that way too.

 

The rest of the council members kept their mouth shut, sharing meaningful glances with each other whether they should say it or not. Only Yoona had the courage to blurt it out. "Trauma."

 

****

 

Irene hissed.

 

"I shouldn't have strayed too far from Krystal." she said, kicking pebbles that were scattered on her path.

 

Somehow, she got herself lost and found herself wandering at the lacrosse field. She came across a shed which seemed to be used as a locker room for players. She inched closer when she heard a voice.

"Here you go. Drink up. You have to control yourself while we're out."

 

"It's not like I can help it, okay? Hunger is hunger. Besides, I have just been awaked from my deep slumber. What do you expect~ No food can quench this much hunger I'm having right now."

 

The other voice inside chuckled. “I can't believe you're older than me."

 

"Just by age, love."

 

As Irene got curious and curious who are these people inside the shed a saying keeps flashing on and off in her mind like a neon sign board used to decorate a bar's facade. 'Curiosity killed the cat.'

 

Nonetheless, curiosity got the best of Irene. She went closer to the shed and tried to peek at the space of the slightly opened door. Irene saw the tall girl hand a carton juice to a girl sitting at the table at the middle of the room.

 

The girl pierced the carton with a straw and began to drink from it. Strangely the straw began to emit a blue-ish light as she took a sip from it. "Hmm~" she said with gusto. "Where did you get this one?"

"I got that from the-"

 

"Irene!!!"

 

Irene flinched from where she was standing and looked at who owned that voice. She ran away from the shed and ran towards the girl who she was looking for all over the place a while ago. 'But seriously? Out of all timing?' Irene thought. She has a feeling that she just found out something that's going to be useful in the future.

 

"Were have you been and what were you doing over there?" Krystal asked as she looked over Irene's shoulder peeking a glance at the shed where Irene came.

 

Irene looked back at the shed too. The door where she was peeking a while ago was fully closed now. Almost as if nobody was there. This gave the hair from the back of her neck stand up. "N-Nothing... I just thought someone was there."  She said.

 

"It's the first day of class Irene, everyone's at the Social Hall for the orientation- which you missed by the way." Krystal huffed, "Don't stray too far away from me again, okay? Wendy will go after my head if anything happens to you under my watch." she finished with a pout. "Come on, we have to get to class now." Krystal then linked her arms with her and began to walk away from the field. But not before Irene stealing a glance at the shed one last time with curiosity still burning in her heart.

 

***

 

"She saw you drinking!" Joy said.

 

"Stop being such a worry wart~ I'm not an E class vamp. It's not like she saw me drinking blood from human or something- like yuck! Why do even E class vampires drink like that? It's so gross. Plus, not to mention blood smells on your breath." Yeri whined like a brat that she is.

 

"Still!"

 

"Don't worry, okay? It's just her. She's too naive to put two and two together. At least for now..." she paused as she took another sip on the carton juice. "Besides, this is how unnie instructed us. We're just bending a few rules here and there while delivering our mission."

 

Joy just huffed in frustration, running her slender fingers through her hair. "Let's go to class after you finish that existence. We'll be late."

 

Yeri gave her a sinister chilling smile which Joy actually adored to death.

 

***

 

As the bell rang, students rushed to their classes and the crowd at the corridors began to diminish.

 

Krystal and Irene made their way to their class without having a problem. All thanks to Wendy's jacket of course. Students paved her way as soon as they saw Wendy's initials at the collar of her jacket. Of course there were a few whispers here and there who are they. While Krystal paid no attention to the students murmuring, Irene just lowered her head feeling conscious of the attention she's getting on her first day at College.

 

At the moment Irene decides to just follow Krystal's example and not mind them, she raised her head and saw 3 people who seemed to be waiting for them at the corridor.

 

"Hey, Soojung!" The tallest of them yelled while waving her hands up in the air. The shorter girl beside her had to jump a bit to reach for her arm to grab it and stop her from embarrassing herself in public. The one who looked like a guy just coolly chuckled while placing her hands in her pockets.

 

"Who's Soojung?" Irene asked.

 

Krystal grimaced and released a groan, "That's my Korean name." she said as the both of them walked toward the three girls.

 

"Irene, this is Victoria and her mate Luna. They're from the upper bed." Krystal said introducing the tall girl and the shorter one who stopped her a while ago. "This over here is Amber. She's in the same class we'll be in. The both of them..." she said while pointing at Luna and Victoria. "Are from the same pack where Seulgi's in. Amber and I are in the same pack as Wendy."

 

Irene bowed. “I’m Bae Joohyuun, Irene will do." She said flashing them a bright smile after giving a bow.

 

"Is she Wendy's?" Amber asked.

 

Irene blushed right away at the mention of her mate's name.

 

"I think the university jacket says it all." The girl named Luna sneered at the jacket as if she was thinking, 'Way-too-show-off-Wendy.' "Nice too meet you, I'm Luna. Half werewolf, half fairy.”

 

Irene shook her hand amazed that she's facing supernatural hybrids. Wendy has told her about them. That there are only a few pure breed supernatural left in every realm. The rest are hybrids nowadays. Irene looked at Luna intently as she let go of her hand, 'A half-werewolf, and half fairy? Seems befitting. Her charm says so.' she thought. "Are you two supernatural hybrids too?"

 

"Yep. Same as her. Half fey too. This ice princess over here and your Wendy are pure blood werewolves."

 

"Enough with the chitty-chat-chat. Class will be starting soon." Victoria said patting Luna's head.

 

"We'll go ahead then." Luna said showing off her eye smile.

 

With the couple going off the three of them left to go to their own classes too. And as soon as they went in to their new class, Krystal informed their coordinator that they're new students.

 

Just like in the hallway, their beauty didn't go unnoticed to men and to girls’ envious stare too. Plus the fact that Irene was wearing somewhat a mark of ownership by the campus hottest jock. But both ladies paid no attention to this with the thought of their mates in their head and just sat next to each other at the available vacant seat in front of Amber's.

 

'Been thinking about me, baby doll? Didn't know you were missing me that much.' Wendy's smug voice evaded Irene's.

 

Irene smirked at her mate's confidence. She loves her cocky she is. She didn’t remove her eyes on the board but refrained from much smirking wider, for some students who’re looking at her might think she's a total weirdo. 'Is your meeting with your pack done already?' she asked.

 

'Yeah~' Wendy sing-songed in reply.

 

'Then come here as fast as you can...' she left her words hanging taking a quick glance at the window before continuing, 'I miss you so bad.' she said looking down to hide her smile.

 

Suddenly, the door of the room opened slightly catching Irene's attention. 'Seolma... seolma aniji?' she asked mentally giggling at the thought. (Don’t tell me... It's not you right?)

 

'What? Why?' Wendy asked back in return.

 

Mr. Park broke Irene's concentration on their link with his loud tapping on the board.

 

"Listen everyone! Besides the two new students a while ago, we have another enrollee who came in just this morning." He made a gesture with his hand towards the door for someone to enter.

 

A young girl with blond hair entered.

 

Irene recognized her right away. She was the girl who was drinking that mysterious drink inside the shed a while ago.

"Introduce yourself."

 

"Annyeonghaseyo. Kim Yerim imnida." she said with a bow.

 

Author’s Note: An update before I become busy again for Midterms and Intrams. -dandyubunny