Chapter 18: Traitor

Hybrid's Mate

Chapter 18:

 

After the meeting at the big house, Yuri, Jessica, Krystal, Seulgi and Wendy went to track down where did Tyler break through to get into the civilians village in their wolf form. Wendy stared at Seulgi from afar as they were pacing the parameters with Krystal between them and Yuri and Jessica ahead of them. Krystal suddenly stopped at her tracks and stared at the two frustratingly. “Seriously, just talk to each other already.” She then turned to her mate. “Don’t even think about picking me up for school if you don’t make up with each other.” She then ran beside her sister matching their pace.

 

‘Seul…’ Wendy said in a soft voice through their link.

‘It’s already okay Wendy. I know it wasn’t your fault. Sorry for lashing it out on you.”

Wendy nudged at Seulgi nuzzling at her fur. 'I’m still sorry for leaving our family unprotected.'

If wolves could snicker, that’s what Seulgi is doing right now.

‘Hey, you two, come over here. Soojung found something.’ Jessica called on them and the two ran beside her and Yuri while Krystal was walking towards them with a piece of burnt cloth in her wolf’s mouth between her teeth.

‘This is where his trail of scent stopped.’ Krystal said as she laid it down the piece of burnt clothing on the ground.

‘You think he left it on purpose?’ Jessica asked.

Wendy was a bit surprised as Jessica began to sniff the cloth too. It seems like Jessica is finally coming into terms with her dark and painful past based on how is she taking things on right now.

'I smell someone else’s scent on it.'

Yuri did the same and sniffed the cloth to check what Jessica was talking about.

‘It’s potpourri oil.’ Krystal said. ‘I thought so too. The scent is somewhat familiar, yet new to me. I can’t place it where did I first encounter it.’

Wendy eyed on the cloth ‘At school maybe?’ The three younger wolves shared a knowing look before Krystal spoke up again. ‘No, I think I smelled it from somewhere else. I know and memorized every smell at school already. I would definitely know if it’s from our school.’

‘Potpourri oil, huh’ Seulgi whispered. ‘Yuri unnie, do you can remember who did you assign to patrol these parameters to put some protective spells here before the attack?’

‘I don’t remember who, but I remember sending a lot of fairy wolves at this side of the city.’

‘Well, that explains the potpourri oil then. Some wolf fairies.' Wendy said.

Jessica looked blank for a moment as she began to strategize inside her head before speaking up again. ‘Let’s check the marble table at the big house.’

‘I don’t think that’ll work.’ Wendy sighed.

‘Why?’ Seulgi asked.

‘The magic on the table couldn’t handle Dara’s black magic when she was curing Sunny unnie. The previous map setting has gone messed up.’

Yuri let out a low growl. ‘We can salvage it somehow, I’m sure. For now, let’s go back home. It’s getting dark now.’

 

 

***

 

Wendy went back to Irene’s dorm room with a duffle bag full of change of clothes. She punched in Irene’s pass code as if the dorm room was her own and heard gushing of water inside the bathroom as soon as she walked in. A set of fresh clothes were lying on the bed together with a towel.

“Wendy, is that you baby?” Irene said from the bathroom.

“Yes, baby doll.” Wendy noticed that another scent was fairly lingering inside the room. “Did you have someone over while I was away?” She asked Irene and hears the water stopped running from the shower. “Yeah, my sister came over. She sent me home from the mall.”

“Your sister you say?” Wendy asked as she set down her duffle bag at the foot of the bed.

“Yep, I met her at the mall by chance while I was buying my clothes for her recital tomorrow when you left. Is everything okay back home?” Irene asked as the bathroom door opened slightly, showing Irene’s bare face and drenched hair. “Pass me my clothes and towel will you? I didn't know you’d be home so early. I wish I cooked something fast before bathing.”

Wendy blushed at the sight of Irene’s bare torso with just the door covering her up but managed to make a nod to answer her. She gulped and reached out for Irene’ clothes immediately and walked towards her to pass them and the towel. “It’s fine. I’ll cook dinner for us. You should dress up.” She said as she handed them to Irene. Irene kissed her in the cheeks as she reached for them. Wendy smiled at Irene lovingly whose smiling back at her with the same intensity as she closed the door.

“I won’t take long. I’ll help you up with dinner.”

“No need, baby doll. Take your time dressing up.” Wendy giggled as she made her way to the kitchen fridge.

She smiled at the set up they’re in. They’re like newlywed couples and they were just like any couples out there. It was completely mundane.

“What would you like for dinner?” she asked.

“There’s meat in the fridge, and some side dishes from Aunt Bom. You decide what to do with it, baby.” Irene said.

Wendy couldn’t help but feel fluttering feelings and let out a giggle at how Irene seems so comfortable calling her baby. ‘Cutie’ she thought as she took out the beef from the fridge to let it thaw then took some vegetables to go with it.

Irene went out of the bathroom drying her hair with the towel. “What are you making?”

“Hmm… How does beef stew sounds like to you?”

“Good!” Irene smiled as she helped Wendy peel vegetables.

 

 

This.

 

 

This is what Wendy needed after such a stressful day. A completely mundane night with her mate. She was home once again. Irene was her home.

 

 

***

 

 

“What do you mean we don’t have much time?” Dara asked Yeri.

 

“Before going into details, I must tell you something first unnie.” She sighed. “Did Seohyuh-ssi‘s foresight power return already?”

 

"H-How do you even know about Seohyun’s talent? Only the wolves and fairies know about that, besides- what does that have to do with this?!”

 

“My niece, the vampire you created… She did something to Seohyun-ssi’s bud when she was being reborn.” Yeri looked away from her sister’s scrutinizing look.

 

“What do you mean vampire I made-?”

 

 

"No. I think you missed someone.” Sunny interjected. "The kid Dara bit, she might still be alive.”

“She could be and she could not be. She'll need my blood to survive, or else she'll just be another E class vampire.” Dara said

"Or Jiyoung could give is blood to her.” Hara said thoughtfully.

"That could work too." Dara nodded in agreement.

(See chapter 6 if confused)

 

Dara stopped mumbling remembering the child she bit years ago. “You don’t mean-“

Yeri sighed. “That girl, she messed up Seohyun-ssi’s bud when she was being reborn. She stained her bud with Gorgon’s blood.”

Dara’s eyes went wide. ‘Stained with Gorgon’s blood, that can’t happen’ she thought. Fairies were born from babies’ first laugh on earth and the magic floats to Nereides down to the Garden of Ambrosia flowers where they become one with them and when the first bud is produced by Ambrosia, fairies sprung up from their first bud. However, if a bud is disturbed during its first bloom, the fairy inside might die or have their talents and memories from their past life messed up.

 

“Do you understand what I’m trying to make you see here now, unnie?” Yeri interrupted Dara’s train of thoughts. “Seohyun-ssi, your fairy philosopher wouldn’t be of any help to you and this pack in this lifetime. The myth about the hybrid will come true. I’m telling you, because the one’s who’re going to start it are your daughters.”

 

Dara whipped her head back to face Yeri. “Your daughters are going to start it without them knowing it.”

 

“My daughters? Wait- daughters?”

 

“You had a child with a human-“Yeri was cut off by Dara’s humorless laugh leaving her confused and frustrated. “And how the hell do you even know all of this?”

 

“Because I can see the future too.”

 

 

***

 

 

Yoona and Seohyun went back to Lykos Village without any useful lead from Nereides, Seulgi and Krystal briefed them as soon as they reached the Big House about what happened so far while they were away. Now, Seohyun was going around curing the refugees with Hara as Yoona went around giving orders to other werewolves to tighten up the security around the relocation site for the civilians’ sake.

 

When the commotion died down, Yoona went to sit beside Seohyun outside on a big boulder rock overlooking the city of Michino handing an apple to the fairy philosopher. “Thanks.” Seohyun sighed. “Our third trip to Nereides and still nothing… If only my talent would work.” Frustrated she made a pout.

 

“Hey… don’t beat yourself too much. It’ll come back. I’m sure of it.” Seohyun just sighed frustratingly again.

Yoona cleared . “Awhile ago…” Seohyun turned away her attention on the apple and looked at Yoona instead. “I’m curious. Why did Dara say I’m a bad person who shouldn’t play saint?” Seohyun’s soft expression turned frozen and looked away from her. “Knowing wouldn’t do you any good.” She turned to face Yoona again. “Let’s just say… You haven’t changed even at your 4th life.“

 

This made Yoona even more curious. “Even in my previous life, were you my mate too?” Seohyun laughed.

 

A genuine laugh.

 

“Dummy, I will always be your mate no matter how many reincarnation you go through.” Yoona smiled at her.

“Good. I wouldn’t have it any other way. This life, the next and every life I’ll ever have I will always want you to be my mate.” She then leaned back resting her hands on the boulder as she stared up the moon. Seohyun stared at Yoona with a sad pained smile on her face. “I was right, you never changed.” she whispered soft enough for Yoona not to hear.

 

 

***

 

 

Dara was staring blankly at the Harridan in her room.

 

 

‘Remember unnie, in your next pack meeting Hara shouldn’t be present. That’s all I can share. You know what happens when someone bluntly tampers with fate.’

 

 

Her sister’s words rang repeatedly inside her head. She was so deep in thought she didn’t notice Yuri coming inside her room.

“Dara?” Yuri called as she tapped her shoulder lightly.

Dara flinched. “I’ve been calling you.”

“Sorry, I was so deep in my thoughts.” She replied softly.

“Look, Taeyeon didn’t mean what she said.” Yuri said worriedly.

“I know, I understand.” She smiled. “Why are you here? Are we under attack again?”

Yuri shook her head which soften Dara’s alarmed expression. “No, we found this.”She passed the piece of burnt trench coat to her. “I was wondering how Tyler got inside in one of our villages. So, we tracked down where he broke in.” Dara studied the piece of cloth then looked back at Harridan.

 

“He didn’t break in.” She whispered as she eyed up the shrine where Irene was attacked. “He was invited in.”

 

“What do you mean?” Dara walked nearer paying attention to the shrine. “I’ve been thinking… There’s no way my spells can be broken by someone. Even Yeri who’s practically another me had a hard time breaking in, judging from the traces she left at the dungeon. There are only two ways of getting inside my protective spells. You break in- which is impossible, or you get invited in.”

 

“Then?”

 

“I’m saying there’s a traitor in our turf. Someone purposely let them inside Michino City.”

 

 

Author’s note: Wahhh ~!!! 1,951 words! Finally. I made a preview about Yoona and Seohyun’s story. Hmm. I’m thinking of doing a series? Like, every pair in this story deserves one… I think? Also, I want to give a back story to other characters as well. I feel like there’s something missing if I don’t. Anyway, Prelims are coming up. I’ll probably update during Christmas vacation.