Chapter 43: This Ends Here (마지막 회)

Hybrid's Mate

Chapter 43: This Ends Here (마지막 회)

 

 

Yerim and Victoria hurriedly shadow travelled to near the manor. “Why are we here?” Victoria inquired.

 

“We’re here to get what would kill Hwayoung without killing Tiffany with her.”

 

 

Victoria was skeptic- it seemed to her that Yerim was just stalling for some reason. She already had her fill at the cemetery. They should be rushing now to their pack members to help or to Dara and Wendy regardless she gave her the benefit of the doubt. “So, what exactly are we searching for?”

 

 

“We’re searching for a dagger. I know she has it stored inside this manor; I just don’t know how it looks like.” She said, her face was apologetic- genuinely apologetic in Victoria’s eye.

 

 

“Okay, let me try and tract the scent, but how exactly did you know that there’s something like that in this manor?”

 

 

“I…” Yerim took a deep breath before talking again, “I just know.” Victoria raised a brow at that but again- benefit of the doubt. So, she shifted and tried to identify the scents inside the manor.

 

 

There were rotting corpse piled up at the back of the manor, probably from people she fed from.

 

Some potpourri smell which Victoria assumes Nicole’s faint but lingering smell. Then followed Chrysanthemum. The remaining scent was Tiffany’s. It was familiar to her since she already met Tiffany before and spend time with her back when she wasn’t Hwayoung yet. Black currant, just then Yerim tried to interrupt her. “I’d like to advice you not to follow Tiffany’s scent. Instead, try following Hwayoung’s.”

 

Victoria was slightly suspicious why- how is she supposed to track that down when Hwayoung was scentless the first time she saw her today. All that there was awhile ago was the overwhelming smell of ylang-ylang; sickly sweet ylang-ylang flowers.

 

‘Wait- that’s it! That’s why she chose this manor in the middle of nowhere as a base. It’s surrounded by Cananga trees!’ Victoria thought to herself.  

 

She shakes her head and whines like a puppy trying to smell through the overwhelming scent. She needs more- something that can she put her apart from the smell of the flowers blooming around the manor. She tries some cognitive interview techniques towards herself, taking herself back at the moment she encountered Hwayoung.

 

‘Burning mandarin peel! That’s it!’ she went towards where it was and was taken aback- ‘No way. Sick ert.’

 

 

**

 

 

 

Yerim was busy tossing things around Tiffany’s room as Victoria was breathing loudly with a low growl every now and then. Just when Yerim was about to rummage at the trunks below the bed Victoria called her out with a bark. “I should tell you… I don’t speak wolf.” Yerim jokingly said. If wolves can roll their eyes- that’s exactly what Victoria said as she walks towards the window. She shapeshifts back to her human form. “She’s one sick ert. That’s for sure.”

 

 

“What do you mean?”

 

Victoria nudged her head towards the floorboard and then the window view. “She hid the dagger here. Right where she can see the object of her obsession.” Wendy looked at the floorboard then the window. There she saw the view. A clear view of Irene’s dorm room. Yerim suddenly the time Tiffany changed room in a whim. “So, that’s why…”

 

**

 

Luna rushed to the river connecting to the sea at Lykos and chanted “Vocant naides!” Luna has never been as glad as she was before when three kids greeted her. “Hello, will you tell me your names?” She approaches as the three raised their hands playfully as they recited their names.

 

 

“Daehan!”

“Minguk!”

“Manse!”

 

 

Seulgi and Taeyeon looking after Luna as she talks to them couldn’t help but double look at the three as the fend the clay wolves Taeyeon may have invoked her right to incrimination and just fake coughed. “You sure these cuties can flood Lykos?” Seulgi said skeptic. “I had the same prejudice about them before, but I’m alive, aren’t I?” she smirked at her then turned to the three boys again. “Noona has lots of sand cash. Do you want to play and get some allowance?” She cheerfully said to get the kids attention.

 

 

“Yeeees!” the three said in unison jumping up and down and giggling.

 

 

 

Luna hands them the cash as she kneels to their height and pat each of their heads. “Noona will give these but noona wants to play first. You see those puppies around the camp?” The three just nods attentively. “They’re so dirty right?” collective ‘ew’ from the kids were heard. “Noona wants you to blast them with water so they’ll be clean!” Luna said- her beaming smile innocent. Seulgi and Taeyeon can just laugh nervously. “We can do it! We can even clean the whole camp!” Daehan, which seemed to be the oldest say. “Can I have more than my brothers if I clean more puppies than them?” Manse, the smallest said.

 

 

 

Luna laughs, “Sure, sure. Do that we’ll give you what you want just clean the camp will you?” Luna says.

 

 

 

“William was right” Minguk says, “People at the camp give cash.” The tree giggles then vanished sinking in the river. “Wait for noona to call you play, okay?” she says as they vanished.

 

 

“That’s it?” Taeyeon says as she throws a set of ice vials she got from Dara’s room. She’s going to have to pay a lot later for that.

 

 

“Yes, I have their word. Water Nymphs may be forgetful but they don’t break word. We can go back and evacuate the pack. I’ll stay at the big house and pay them right after they play.”

 

 

“Why do you have so much sand cash on you anyway?”

 

 

 

Luna laughs and points at her healing wound, “I had Dara compensate me with sand cash. I thought that last time, they’d come in handy somehow.”

 

 

Seulgi and Taeyeon help her up and the three went back to the big house. Yuri and Jessica started to inform their pack members to make way to their safe haven, Sunny and Taeyeon did the same. When they were sure that every last member was safe, somewhere with them at the second floor of the big house, Luna went to the window and shouts, “Daehan, Minguk, Manse! Let’s play with noona!”

 

 

Suddenly kids riding waves came in three directions from the river to the camp. “The kids sure knew how to play and get paid.” Taeyeon says.

 

 

 

**

The moment Wendy jumped from the barrier Hwayoung, “Ignis turbo!” she shouts and the tornado fire caged them inside.

 

Wendy knew that time wasn’t on her side. The moment she left the barrier Dara made for them. However, she knew Dara was running out of gas from fighting Hwayoung and keeping the barrier on them at the same time. Assuming that Dara also healed people from camp. She just couldn’t stand there and be coddled like a toddler inside that safety bubble. ‘This ends here’ she growled.

 

 

“Like I can understand your barbaric roar.” Hwayoung says as she dives towards her. Both Wendy and her exchanges blows. Wendy was crafty, she would change halfway- like in her human form but still with her claws then claw her way up to Hwayoung’s shoulder. On the other hand, Hwayoung would slash and blow fires here and there. Wendy didn’t go unscathed. She took burns. But it seemed like she can’t feel them. She’s sure enough she’s numb now form the pain and entirely runs on adrenaline.

 

 

She was winning! The sun was setting and they’re all tired now.

 

‘90 seconds left’ Wendy huffs to herself then began to barrage Hwayoung with her claws. Hwayoung couldn’t put up a barrier in time so she puts her claymore up as guard. Hwayoung was about to get mangled when the claymore was tossed away due to Wendy’s strength.

 

“Wendy!!!” She speaks. It was Tiffany’s voice. Her paws stopped midair. “Tiff.” She says as she shapeshifts. Tiffany hugs her, Wendy hugs her back. “It’s okay, you are safe no- “she coughs blood.

 

“Fool.” She hears Hwayoung say.

 

Hwayoung stabbed her using her hand that was covered with magic. “I told you, there’s no more Tiffany here anymore.”

 

Wendy was careless. She coughs blood again. She tried to hold her wound to somehow stop the bleeding but there wasn’t a wound to hold- she literally had a hole on her chest. Hwayoung pushes her off of their embrace. The fire tornado around them dies down. Hwayoung starts laughing. Wendy could feel herself fading. She tried to turn and look at Irene’s direction.

 

Krystal was holding Irene back. ‘She was back in her human form?’ Wendy smiles. ‘She’s so talented she can already pull of shapeshifting with her clothes.’ Then everything started to hurt for Wendy.  She can read Irene’s lips. She was shouting her name crying. ‘Don’t cry...’ she wanted to say out loud but she couldn’t- she knew it reached her tho. Through their link, that is. Wendy started crying too.

 

She started to realize Dara can’t heal her state now, she felt sorry. Another year added not seeing her mate as the curse says. She cries as she thought of the future, she has planned for her and Irene. The kids they planned to have. The cabin they wanted to live in. All of that, she can’t do that with her anymore.

 

Irene ran to her. She wanted to say no- it was dangerous. But she was blacking out. ‘No, I… have… to stay… awake…”

 

 

 

**

 

 

Irene ran towards Wendy who was lying. She puts her to her lap and hugs her, “You said we’d decorate the cabin” she says between sobs and it made Wendy cry more. “You can’t leave me- I can’t do this alone.” She says as she hugs her tighter. Wendy’s bloody hand caressed her cheek. “I… love… you…” she says to her before closing her eyes. “No!” Irene shakes Wendy, “No, Wan… Don’t do this to me!” she scolds the limp body. Krystal hugs her from the back. She didn’t even realize when did Krystal go there. She can hear Tiffany- no Hwayoung- no? Miyoung? She doesn’t even know anymore. She just hears her maniacally laughs in the background, mocking her grief.

 

“Wan… wake up please!” she screams again. She looks up and saw Dara’s face contorted in horror looking at Wendy’s body. “Y-You can heal her right? You have magic!” she pleads. Dara just lowers her head and shakes it.

 

“Irene, I’m sorry.” Krystal hugged her from behind tighter. “Why are you saying sorry? I-I’m sure we can still save her at the camp!” she bargains. Krystal just sobs harder beside her.

 

“She’s gone!” Hwayoung hollered. Irene’s eye began to turn cold gold shades. Hwayoung laughs holding her stomach as if it’s starting to hurt from laughing. “That mongrel was all talk now that she’s gone, I can have you to myself!” Every word felt like a shot to Irene’s heart. How can someone find joy in someone’s death? “She should’ve just listened and gave you to me when I asked nicely.” She says then stops laughing. Then extends her hand to Irene from where she was standing. “Now come here dearie. If you don’t want them to go next.”

 

Irene turns her head towards her and as she did, a force came with it- throwing Hwayoung flying to a boulder. Weakened from the fight as she is, she groans and spits blood from the impact. Irene carefully lays Wendy back om the ground, kissing her lips before she stood up and face Hwayoung. "Shut up and stay there!"

 

Dara and Krystal were surprised with how Hwayoung was sent flying. The fire curse she set out were put off by the cold aura coming from Irene. The ground started frosting, but somehow avoiding Krystal, Dara and Wendy’s limp body.

 

“I’m no one’s but Wendy’s.” Irene’s voice was icy.

 

**

 

“Irene!” Yerim shouts as soon as the arrived at the scene through shadow travel. When Irene turned to look at her, she threw her the dagger. Irene’s brow furrowed but she took it. “It would save Miyoung’s soul!”

 

“The happened?!” Victoria says as she kneels next to Krystal comforting her. Dara collapsed near them from exhaustion. Yerim ran to her sister and tried healing her- only then did she notice who was lying next to Krystal… Wendy…

 

She shuts her eyes tightly with remorse then looks away. ‘I’m sorry. This was how it had to end.’ she thought. Oddly enough, Victoria caught the thought and whipped her head towards her with horror painted face.

 

**

 

Hwayoung tried to get up- only to be pinned on the wall by some force she can’t counter, then she sees Irene walking towards her and smirks as Irene’s hair starts turning white like Dara. “Look what I made of you! That’s the power I gave you! I made you! That’s why you’re mine!” She hysterically laughs right after.

 

“I told you, I’m Wendy’s. Wendy’s mate alone.” Irene was strangely calm which scared Hwayoung. She was just bawling her eyes a while ago and now she was already in front of her with a blank expression. “What are you going to do? Kill me? If you kill me, you’ll be killing Tiffany too.” She smirks.

 

Irene puts the dagger on her hand, but still Hwayoung can’t move. “I won’t.” she says stepping back. “But you definitely would kill yourself.” Her own hands started moving themselves. She suddenly realized what the dagger was. It was the dagger that can kill her soul. “NO!!!!” she shouts but her hand continues to move towards her chest.

 

Irene looks at her and says with a smile, “Hwayoung, kill yourself for me.”

 

Hwayoung now realizes what it was her power. Charm speaking. She began shouting knowing she can’t get away from it now. She stabs herself with the knife, but before her soul was completely eradicated, she said, “You think this is the last of me? I’m everywhere! I’ll comeback for you!” Irene just watch her die with a blank face.

 

Then all that was left in that body was Tiffany. When she came to, Irene realized it was now her sister dying in front of her, “Unnie!” as if she was snapped right back into reality, she ran to her and held her the way she held Wendy awhile ago. Yerim saw this and stopped healing Dara. She ran next to Irene and went ahead to put her hand over Tiffany’s wound.  She was about to heal her when Tiffany help Yerim’s hand and shook her head.

 

Tiffany then looked at Irene, “I’m sorry for killing Wendy…” she whispered. Irene shed tears once again, “It’s not your fault, don’t worry Yerim can heal you. I got you.”  Finally understanding why, they were calling her Hwayoung. Tiffany shook her head once again. “No, this is it for me.” She smiles before letting go of Yerim’s hand and holding Irene’s. “In my next life, can I be your daughter instead of your mate?” Irene nods profusely, “Yes. Yes, you can!” she cries with her eyes shut. As she feels Tiffany slowly drifting away.

 

Irene left Tiffany on Yerim hands and went ahead to carry Wendy.

 

“Where are you going?” Krystal asked as she stood up and Victoria held Krystal up. “I’m burying her.”

 

Yerim looked down. “You can’t bury her.” Irene looked back at her and glared at her. “What do you mean? That I have no right?” Yerim shook her head, “No, that’s not what I mean. They’re not…” she sighs, “They’re not meant to be buried.” She continues. As if on cue- Wendy’s body and Tiffany’s body disintegrated into bright fireflies lighting up the woods. “What’s happening?!” Irene panicked.

 

“They’re meant to go this way. To reincarnate.”

 

 

 

**

 

 

Post Credits:

 

 

Wenona has finally gotten her long awaited break she has been asking her manager. She was now relaxing in the shade of an umbrella by the sea near a cliff.

“Wenona-nim, here’s your watermelon juice.”

“Thank you” she says to her manager as the latter lies down on another sunbed chair. “Finally a vacation!” she says after sipping her juice.

 

“Mommy!!!!” A child from afar shouts.

 

“Unnie, you said this was a private airnb?” she looks at her manager judgingly.

“It is! I swear to God it is the most private one in the city!” her manager comes in defense.

“Then who’s that child running towards me calling me mommy?”

They both shared a confused look then suddenly the kid was right beside Wenona already.

“Finally, mommy! You’ve come home! I knew you’d come home!”

“W-what? I don’t know what you’re saying but I’m not your mother.”

The child began to pout as if she was about to cry, a voice was heard. “Lady Tiffy! Tiffy! Your mama will be home soon! Where are you lady Tiffy?”

 

“You said I was your mom but turns out you’re lying. Someone looking for you said your mom will be home soon.”

“Tiffy has two mommies. You and mama Rene.” The child says and hid behind her. Wenona can't deny she' cute like that.

A figure dressed in suit came running towards them and Wenona glared at her manager once again. “So much for having a peaceful vacation.”

 

“I’m sorry but have you seen a child- “the lady dressed in suit stopped mid-sentence when she saw her face. Wenona had the urge to roll her eyes. ‘And here I thought I won’t have a fan in this rural place.

 

“Excuse me, but why are you here? This is a private property.” The girl said when she recovered from the initial shock of whatever it was about if she wasn’t a fan Wenona thought. Then her manager spoke up. “Uhm we rented this place from Airbnb?”

Wenona extended her hand, “Hi, I’m Wenona Dy. Mostly known as Wendy. I rented this place for a month. Are you the owner?”

The girl raised a brow cleared and shook her hand. “I’m Nicole. The secretary of the owner. Sorry, but I’m looking for a child.”

 

Tiffy then emerged from Wenona’s back. Her hand tightly clasping at the beach robe. “Tiffy’s not going home without mommy!” she said.

“U-Uhm.. sorry” Nicole says apologetically as she tried to pry Tiffy away from her. The two walked away and Wenona could only look at the child pitifully screaming at her ‘mommy’

 

“That’s one of a strange kid.” Her manager says.

“Word.” She replied as she went back to lying on the sunbed. She wore her shades then gave the them one last look. ‘Strange, it hurts here.’ She thought as she holds her chest. Sheshrugs it off and puts her headphone off to rest.

 

 

Author’s Note:

Wendy and Irene will be back on another book! But so far, we’re done with this! See you on the sequel!!! (But the sequel wont be about them sorry)