Chapter 33: Turning

Hybrid's Mate

Chapter 33

Wendy was watching her mate happily picking flowers at the garden her father made for her mom from the window. “Adorable,” she mumbles. She noticed Irene squatting down by the pond and kind of panicked, because it was a border to the Nereides nursery so she rushed and wiped her hands and went out of the cabin to get her in fear of she’d be transferred in the land of fairies accidentally. Fairies are sort of hostile with humans.

 

But when she went out, she couldn’t see her anywhere… nor smell her presence. “Joohyun?” she whispered; she was already sweating cold sweats. “Joohyun?” she repeated loudly this time as she frantically paced back and forth the garden, eyes wandering. ‘Did she go through the portal and got lost somewhere?’ she worriedly thought.

 

Maybe something was wrong with her smelling senses with her human form. She tried to make excuses in her head to calm herself down- maybe Irene just didn’t hear her because her voice wasn’t loud enough because she was caught up with admiring flowers?

 

But no matter how much she tries to convince herself; she could feel that there was really something wrong and then, “Wendy!” Taeyeon called out panting after shifting back to her human form.

 

“Taeyeon-unnie- I can’t smell her… H-her scent! It’s gone!” she cried kneeling down; she heard Taeyeon mutter a cuss but she couldn’t seem to hear whatever it was she was saying. Suddenly, she could feel Taeyeon drag her by the edge of the meadow towards the forest. By her peripheral vision she could see Taeyeon’s bookmark flicker on and off; voices static at the other line. “ this signal! I’m going to rip apart the person who jammed us and enjoy chewing him up.” She said as she kept dragging Wendy.

 

Taeyeon stopped walking when Wendy started not budging from her place and without a word she punched Wendy, “Wake the up and get a grip idiot! We need to find Irene!” And with just the mention of her name, her out of focus eyes became alert again. “Goodness’ sake.” Muttered as she threw Wendy with strength towards the forest, Wendy rolled up and hit the nearest pine tree. “ing heavy pup!” she hissed when she reached her. “I got Wendy! But Yoona and Irene are nowhere to be seen. The is Yoona thinking?!”

 

“She might already have her then? You can’t blame her; her mate’s life is on the line.” An unfamiliar voice from the other line said. “Well, me.” Taeyeon said sarcastically while rolling her eyes.

 

“They might be at the facility now.” The voice said again, “Okay, we’ll meet you guys there.” Taeyeon then eyes her up. “Shift up. We’re fetching your mate and my idiot beta.” Wendy didn’t say a word and shifted up running after Taeyeon.

 

 

 

*

 

 

Irene stirred in her sleep, her eyes flickering in and out of darkness, she could see Yoona flicking the syringe in between those moments. “I’m sorry, this is the only way I can help you without sacrificing Seohyun’s safety.” She whispered, and right after that she felt a sting in her right forearm.

 

Irene wanted to open her eyes, but her eyelids suddenly felt too heavy, her whole body suddenly felt heavy. She could feel her bones breaking and mending again and again as if there was a restructuring that was happening inside her body. She couldn’t feel her own heartbeat after it frantically beat right after the syringe hit her forearm and then it was there again, beating abnormally fast.

 

It was beyond painful, unexplainable things happening in her body; sense was tingling as if warning her from impending danger. She wanted to wake up, but she couldn’t. Her body was wasn’t cooperating, but she could feel her body being carried cautiously by Yoona.

 

“I have her! Give me back Seohyun!” those were the last words she could hear before fainting again from pain.

 

 

 

*

 

 

Irene’s body felt like fire, she felt her innards burning and was parched for some reason. The painful cracking of her bones has already stopped so again, she tried opening her eyes but couldn’t she tried to cry for help but no voice comes out.

 

She then hears Yoona demanding for Seohyun again.

 

“Patience mutt.” The chilling voice said, but Irene could’ve sworn she already heard that voice from somewhere. She felt arms wrapping around her as someone retrieves her form Yoona’s arms and carries her cautiously as if she’d break if they didn’t carry her with care. She heard the person holding her murmur incoherent words she can’t seem to understand then a loud thud was heard in the vicinity followed by Yoona’s agonized yell, “Seohyun!”

 

Irene didn’t really know who Seohyun was but her what seemed to be keen sense of smell now knew she was hurt somewhere. The room began to reek of blood. “What have you done to her?!”

 

Just then she was placed in a soft place, judging by the soft metal creak it must’ve been a cot. Then she felt the person who carried her flinch.

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

“Seohyun!” Yoona yelled and rushed to a visibly battered fairy. “What have you done to her?!”

 

She saw Tiffany gently placing Irene in a cot and then putting a what seemed to be a barrier around her. “I’m the one who’s supposed to ask that! WHAT. HAVE. YOU. DONE. TO. MY. MATE?!” Every word made the air around them heavier which made it hard for Seohyun to breathe as Tiffany stood still surrounded by red menacing aura around her.

 

“Mate?” Yoona asks- confused as to why Tiffany calls the human her mate but nonetheless the satisfaction of the thought of getting back at Tiffany filled her with arrogance; then smirks “You messed with mine, wouldn’t it be fine to mess with yours?” She carried Seohyun possessively, turning her back at Tiffany who was caressing Irene’s face possessively; still with her menacing aura. “Besides, I just thought she’d be a bit more suited for Wendy if she ended up turning as one of us.” Yoona followed as she wanders her eyes around the area surveying if the dragon was still around and if she can plunder to save Yeri at the process. When she sensed that there wasn’t anyone around in the vicinity apart from them, she pushed in her heel with intensity to start running away from the place.

 

All she could hear was at the back was Tiffany yelling out of anger before a barely conscious Seohyun pushed her out of the way with whatever strength left in her as a bright light engulfs them.

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

“Seohyun! What have you done to her?!” Irene hears Yoona yell. Then the woman who carried her said in such a harsh voice which sent chills to her spine said, “I’m the one who’s supposed to ask that! WHAT. HAVE. YOU. DONE. TO. MY. MATE?!” Every word she said made the air around them heavier which made it hard for her to breathe as she could feel the woman stand still beside her, and then she thought, ‘Mate? How did I become someone’s mate besides Wendy?’

 

“Mate?” Yoona asks- Irene thought she must’ve been just as confused as her, but as if Irene could picture the girls face and how the side of her lips formed into a smirk… “You messed with mine, wouldn’t it be fine to mess with yours?” a minute of silence passed before Yoona spoke again, “Besides, I just thought she’d be a bit more suited for Wendy if she ended up turning as one of us.”

 

‘What did Yoona mean?’ Irene thought as her brows furrowed in her coma-like state.

 

“No. No. No. You can’t be like them. You’re not meant to be like them.”  The woman said as she starts to caress Irene’s face.

 

Before she could even think further- the world around her suddenly became quiet. Again, a few minutes passed and then she felt something drip in her lips quenching the thirst she never thought she had in her. Liquid gliding down as it waters down her parched throat making her open open wider which surprised her as her body wasn’t responsive to her awhile ago. It tasted like iron. Salty. But it was making her body recover and move, and so skept wanting whatever was it.

 

 

*

 

 “No. No. No. You can’t be like them. You’re not meant to be like them…” Tiffany desperately murmurs under her breath as she cast a noise cancelling barrier around Irene for her not to hear what she’s supposed to do.

 

“Flamma Saguitta!” she yelled pointing at Yoona and Seohyun’s direction. A bright blue light engulfs the woods in front of her. She didn’t bother wasting time to see if they both survived the collision and as if nothing happened, she turned to Irene again.

 

“No, don’t turn into them.” She begged to no one as she knelt beside the cot. ‘Then turn her into like us to counter whatever that mutt did.’ Another person inside her said. ‘Didn’t I promise you you’ll have her? Then turn her into like us, turn her into a vampire.’

 

Listening to the voice inside her head, she didn’t hesitate; with a flick of her fingers a knife appeared in her hand and then she made a cut in her palm and let her blood freely drip on Irene’s lips.

 

Author's note:

 

The pictures above are the closest I could find to the image I have in mind, I just thought it would help you visualize the events. Also, this was supposed to be posted for Tuesday but it's going to be Holy Week next week so I tried to finish it tonight so we can all have a break this holidays. The end might be near. Just a few more push.