Chapter 16: Kim Yeri

Hybrid's Mate

_

Chapter 16

-Flashback-

 

Darkness swallowed the dungeon room that was once well lit by spiced scented candles. Yeri sat on her little throne in the middle of the room playing by levitating toys up in the air. Her day was becoming more and more boring at the moment. Her sister has princess duties to attend to and can’t visit this place she calls home, and her parents were attending peace treaty talks on the Werewolf realm which was across another country. All she had in the dungeon room as a company was the black crow her sister sent her for her first birthday.

 

No.

 

Not the day she was born.

 

But the day she woke up from a water filled tank.

 

The levitating toys suddenly fell in the ground making loud a loud clank, echoing inside the dungeon. The toys drop when she losses focus. She glanced at the crow in the room, then at the door. She sensed someone coming. “Your grace,” the guard greeted as the other men in golden cloaks with their house’s sigil surrounded her. “We have to get you out of here. The High King is after you.” The guard named Vernon said as he let the princess up.

 

“Bird.” Yeri murmured.

 

Vernon turned to the crow. “Take with us.” He said to his subordinate.

 

The other guard did as he was told. After climbing the stairs up going out of the dungeon, Yeri smiled widely.

 

She had no idea what danger was waiting for her out here in the open but everything her sister said about the outside world was ten times more beautiful than what she have imagined! She began to connect to her sister in her head. A special talent she owns. She can talk to her in her head but it only works vice versa if Yeri wanted to. ‘Unnie, I’m out.’ She giggled at her thoughts. ‘What do you mean out, Yeri?’ The little princess looked at Vernon’s anxious face. ‘Out of the dungeons. I’m with Vernon… but he looks troubled, unnie. Where are you? Will you come and fetch me? I’m getting scared…’ her voice mirrored the anxiety on Vernon’s face. 'Yeri, don’t joke around like this. Unnie is busy here at the court today.' Dara sighed.

 

“Let’s go, your Grace.” Vernon said when the carriage stopped in front of them, cutting the sisters’ communication. Yeri rode the carriage with the bird cage on her lap and Vernon opposite to her.

 

“Where are we going?” she asked the royal guard. “Vernon took her hand in his. “We’ll bring you to the capitol as my sister to lose the usurpers.” He said.

 

Yeri looked out, as if on cue the carriage has stopped. Vernon whipped his head to the front opening, “Why did we stop?” He asked, and then he heard swords slashing.

 

“We’re under attack, Lord Commander!” Vernon turned back his attention to the little princess in the carriage. His hand reached for a dagger adorned by rubies, “Hold this, your Grace. Don’t come out until I come and get you. If anyone comes in, stab them. Do you understand?” Yeri took the dagger with her trembling hands. Vernon left the carriage and Yeri heard slashing of swords and groaning of men. She closed her eyes and hugged the bird cage with the crow inside while gripping the dagger tightly. She once sent a message to her sister through her mind. ‘Unnie, come and save me...’

 

After a few moments the carriage doors opened again, Yeri on her guard outstretched her hand with the dagger. “Your Grace.” Vernon smiled weakly with blood on his face. But Yeri was sure it wasn’t Vernon’s blood on him. It was too filthy to be vampires’ blood.

 

“It’s safe to go out now.” He held his hands out land Yeri took it. “Don’t look elsewhere. Just look at me in the eyes.” With the bird cage on the other hand, Yeri took Vernon’s hand as Vernon retrieved the dagger from her hands. When she got down she can feel pools of blood on her bare feet. ‘Good Vernon wanted to spare my eyes from the remains.’ She thought as she kept her eye on Vernon’s.

 

Four more gold cloak wearing vampire sigils stood in front of Vernon. “Lord Commander, we must abandon the carriage. The werewolves are on our trail.”

 

Vernon looked around, “There’s a river around her somewhere a few meters away from the main road. We’ll cross it and lose our scent in the water.” He looked down at the little princess who was still holding his hand, “I’m sorry you had to go through this, your grace.” He smiled apologetically.

 

 

***

 

 

They reached the banks and lost the usurpers. Drenched, they walked at the woods near the main road but far enough to avoid people who are after them. “The sun is setting. We must rest here.” Vernon said as the other soldiers set out to prepare a temporary camp at his orders while Yeri sat on a fallen log near the fire made by Vernon.

 

She opened the bird cage and retrieved the crow, making it rest on her arm. She reached out again to her sister. ‘Unnie…’

‘Gods! Yeri! Where the hell are you?! I have been waiting for you to speak to m again! I went to the Witch Mountain as soon as I heard you say ‘save me’! You weren’t at the dungeons!’ Her sister’s voice was full of concern and panic.

‘I told you. I was out, unnie.’

‘Where are you? I’m coming to get you! Mother has been crying ever since she returned with Father. I have no idea what’s happening. They won’t tell me! And- on my way home I saw one of our carriages drenched in blood of our men! Yeri… please tell me where are you so I can come and get you...’ She can hear her sister’s voice waver. As if in the verge of tears.

‘We were attacked on our way to the Vampire Court.’

‘By who?!’

‘I don’t know… But I’ll be home soon. Promise. Don’t worry…’ Yeri gazed at Vernon whose back was at her as he was setting a makeshift tent from his cloak. ‘I’ll be home safely tomorrow by dawn with our knights. Vernon will protect me.’

 

 

-End of flashback-

 

Yeri’s train of thoughts was broken by Joy. “What’s your next step?” the demon fairy hybrid asked.

 

“I’m going to see my sister again. Alone.” She said biting her lower lip. “She needs to know what my niece is up to.” Yeri looked at Joy. “How’s Irene?”

 

"She’s still with the Red Lady.”

 

Yeri’s eyes wandered inside the room as if trying to find something that wasn’t even there. “We have to hurry with our plan if we want to save both of them.”