Prologue

Hybrid's Mate

"From a long~ long time ago, werewolves, vampires, fairies, witches, demons, and other supernatural beings lived in peace where Hybrids were considered royalties of the realm. Everything in our realm was perfect & peaceful. We lived in harmony and war free lands..."

 

The kids around her looked at her full of expectations in their eyes.

 

"Until... a wizard from afar came and told a prophecy to the king; 'A demon will rise from the slums and take over the realm. Rule over both human and supernatural beings! Doom will settle in our world. All demon must be killed and lock away!' Unknown to the king and the wizard, GD, the demon king, leading the king's council was hiding in the shadows inside the throne room with them and heard of this. Afraid that his family will be in danger because of this prophecy he rushed out stealthily off of the throne room and called for his tribe to hide & attack first before the kingdom decides to annihilate them."

 

A collective of gasps from the kids who sat in front of the fireplace with her was heard.

 

"But what GD didn't hear is the rest of the prophecy... 'A demon hybrid’s offspring with a human will be born and set things right again in the realm.' If she or he'll kill the demon's pawns and the demon itself, how exactly will they set things right? It is not said... After sharing this with the king, the wizard from afar vanished. The King immediately held a meeting with his council for this. But the fairies were smart. Fairies are the smartest supernatural beings after all. Hybrids were demons too, partly of course, but demons nonetheless. The fairies shared intel with others that they must not risk the danger hybrids may inflict in the future; thus, the biggest coupe d'etat. Hybrids and demons alike were slaughtered. By dawn, the realm was full of dead bodies, ruins of buildings, and thousands of casualties. It is not said if any of the hybrids or demons ever survived the slaughter..."

 

The kids around her huddled up closer to her now, knowing the story was coming to its end.

 

"And so, the werewolves, fairies, vampires and nymphs made a vow to ensure humanity's safety against the demon - hybrids' revenge."

 

The kids around her cheered, "Wahh! Wendy noona, does that mean we're heroes?!" A young boy asked. The red haired girl ruffled his hair, "You could say that. Err, we could be traitors too. It depends on your outlook in life. How you see it. But you, young lad, are still young. A werewolf doesn't shape shift until he turns 17." A girl from the back raised her hand with a worried look on her face. "Hara-seonsaeng-nim and me are hybrids... d-does that mean we'll get killed?" Wendy stood up and made her way to the kid. She smiled at her and tucked a stray hair behind the girl's ear.

 

"No sweety. The only hybrids we put to rest are demon hybrids." Another kid spoke, "but I thought, the realm's true savior will be a demon hybrid?" Wendy nodded, "Indeed. But we won't need saving if there's no danger, right? And the story said she'll be a hybrid and a human's offspring." She finished by showing of a warm smile.

 

The door of the cabin opened and Seulgi, together with their pack's Alpha, walked in. "Still telling that lame prophecy story, Kwon Seungwan?" Her sister, their pack's alpha, questioned her mockingly. Wendy stood up.

 

"Nobody said it won't happen~ better be on guard by spreading the word." She smirked, turning her head to her bestfriend. "And why is Moon stone pack's best tracker here?" She asked, not removing the smirk that was plastered on her face. Seulgi, who was busy trailing her fingers on the books inside the cabin, answered, "It's full moon Wendy. I'm here to find my mate. The others are already at the shrine." She finished off by blowing the dust collected on her forefinger. She glared at Wendy. "Don't tell me you forgot about it? Just like how you always forget to clean this cabin."

 

Wendy ushered the kids out of the room telling them to go find their parents and head to the shrine for the festival.

 

"Heyy~ you can't talk to me like that~ I'm beta!"

 

"A whiny one." Her sister said as she slumped her body on the nearest couch. "You guys should head to the shrine now. It's almost time for the moon to shine on its brightest."

 

A werewolf doesn't recognize its mate until she turns 20. And every year under the full moon's brightest, a festival is held joining both Wolfsbane and Moon Stone's pack to meet their mates.

 

Wendy made a cute pout before asking, "how about you?"

 

"I'm going to wait for Sica here. She's picking up her younger sister from the airport."

 

***

 

Wendy and Seulgi shape shifted and ran to the woods to reach the shrine where the festival is going to be held. A weird smell caught Wendy's senses. Cinnamon with a hint of irises... and there was something else.

 

Something she haven't encountered before. She stopped on her tracks making Seulgi stop too.

 

"Can you smell it too?"

 

She asked. "What?"

 

"Cinnamon and irises."

 

"I only smell a weird human nearby, Wendy." Seulgi snorted. Wendy turned where the smell was coming from.

 

"You can go ahead Seul. I'll check that out first." Seulgi looked at the trail to the shrine and then at Wendy.

 

"Will you be okay alone?" Wendy raised her snout, "I'm Beta. Besides, you said it yourself. She's just a human." Seulgi reluctantly made a small nod and ran to the shrine.

 

***

 

Bae Joohyun is regretting going too far away from her new set of friends at the party. She was new here in this city, that's why a she understood that every boy in town wanted her attention. She just wanted to stay away from them but then she went too deep in the forest near the party she went.

 

Unexpectedly, albeit.

 

She hugged herself protecting herself from the cold harsh wind. She wished she brought her coat with her.

 

Up above Irene, two hybrids were sitting at the highest tree branch of a pine tree. "Sooyoung-ah, are you sure about this?" Yeri asked as she swings her leg back and forth. "Unnie will punish us is she finds out."

 

Joy stood up at the branch and conjured a blue fire on her forefinger. She whispered a spell to the fire and directed fire to Irene, shooting it like a gun. "We're just speeding things up. Letting the princess meet her knight. And Unnie won't know about this..." she turned to the younger demon hybrid. "Unless you tell her."

 

"I'm not stupid. If she finds out I have the gift to see the future, she'll chain me like a mutt beside her."

 

With that, both hybrids turned their eyes expectantly down where Irene is. The fire Joy sent formed a human body.

 

Only, it wasn't human at all.

 

It was an E-class vampire.

 

***

 

Irene looked up feeling that something heavy from above is falling. She saw bloodshot eyes, drooling man with fangs falling- she had no time to run or even make a scream for it. A big wolf jumped right in front of her, ripping of the man's shoulder throwing him far away. "Get back." The scarlet red furred wolf snarled at her.

 

Irene flooded with confusion and shock managed to get her feet moving and backed away to the nearest tree. Her legs gave up as soon as her back touched the tree. But above all, she couldn't understand why was this all happening!

 

'I just wanted to have fun on my first night here in this city!' She thought.

 

'I'll make sure of that, baby. After I save you from this.' The wolf's voice boomed inside her head. 'For now, I'll get rid of this vermin first. Rest assured you're safe with me.'

 

A warm feeling spread throughout her body and she began to relax. She doesn’t know what got into her but she didn't question how the wolf got in her head and who this wolf was exactly. But she just found herself saying 'Please be careful,' to the wolf.

 

She could feel the wolf snigger; if wolves can even do that. 'Babydoll, I'm a Beta. An E-class vampire isn't going to hurt me. Now, cover your eyes. I don't want you to see how dirty this could be.'

 

Irene did as she was told. Soon, all she heard was flesh shredding around her.

 

***

 

From above two hybrids were having fun watching the scene unfold right before their eyes. "Aish. I should've brought popcorn for this." Yeri smirked at Joy's remark and said, "It looks like a cheap rom-com in the making for me."

 

The two stood up from the branch they were sitting from when Wendy finished off Joy's toy. "Oh well, I guess playtime is over...." she looked at Yeri reaching for her hand.

 

Yeri took Joy's hand in hers. "For now." Yeri whispered under her breath, looking down at Wendy and Irene.

 

Both vanished into thin air.

 

***

 

"You can open your pretty eyes now, babydoll."

 

Irene carefully opened her eyes and took in the sight of an overgrown scarlet red wolf in front of her. She stood up and reached out to touch the wolf's forehead to which the latter leaned on.

 

The wolf nudged her snout to her side. "Come. I'll take you to safety."