Chapter 9: Misunderstandings

Hybrid's Mate

Chapter 9

 

Wendy walked in the music room quietly sneaking behind the lady who was currently playing Bach’s Chaconne.

 

The lady gasped as soon as Wendy's hands landed on her eyes covering them while setting down her violin carefully. She then caressed Wendy's hands tracing her knuckles. "Soft knuckles and slender fingers?" The lady let out a husky low chuckle. "Wen?"

 

Wendy groaned uncovering the lady's face. The latter turned to face her, showing off her bright smile combined with her killer eye smile. "How can you guess so easily?" Wendy placed her hands inside her pocket. "Welcome back, Tiff-unnie. I missed you."

 

Tiffany covered while laughing lightly. "Why are you trying to look cool?" She stood up, stretched her arms wide open. "Where's my hug?" Tiffany said flashing another killer eye smile on her.

 

Wendy smirked and hugged her. "How are you Wen?" Tiff asked as she hugged her burying her face on the crook of Wendy's neck. Wendy did the same. "I miss you so much. It was so lonely without you; I had no one to talk to." Wendy said with her voice muffled by Tiffany's long red hair.

 

Tiffany pushed her slightly to see the latter’s face. "Why? Three months isn't that long~ and I always call after class." She pouted. Wendy flashed that boyish smile at her. "You know how things are at home, Yuri unnie and Sica unnie being all lovey-dovey all the time."

 

Tiffany laughed so hard covering again like a real lady would in that situation. "Why? Still hanging out with bunnies?" Tiffany smirked.

 

"What?! Nooo~" Wendy waved her hands in front of her. "I’m a changed woman now."

 

Tiffany raised an eyebrow. "Kapjagi?" *Suddenly?*

 

Wendy just smiled from ear to ear.

 

Tiffany exclaimed standing up from her stool. "Oh my gosh! You've found her?!"

 

Wendy laughed and smiled sheepishly. It takes a real shocker to have Tiffany react like this. Being a raised like a real life princess, you can count on your fingers the instances when Tiffany reacted extravagantly on some occasions. For Wendy, this was the third time if she kept her count right.

 

First was when Wendy agreed to be her friend. Second was when Wendy revealed to her what she really is; who she really is. And what kind of family she has. Now, the third time... finally, finding her mate.

 

"Ohmygod. Ohmygod. Ohmygod. You have to introduce me to her!" Tiffany said shaking Wendy's shoulders. The latter just laughed. "This isn't a laughing matter, Wen-wen!" She paced back and forth biting her nail. "Ohmygod. What do I wear? How do I greet her? Ohmygod."

 

Wendy then stopped laughing and calmed herself. She walked to Tiffany grabbing both of her hands and leading her to sit on her stool again. She kneeled in front of her drawing circles on her on Tiffany's knuckles. "She'll love you. She's kind, pretty, and everything perfect would be." She said softly.

 

"Even if I'm your ex girlfriend?" Tiffany asked.

 

Wendy looked away. "Uhm.. well.. "

 

Tiffany held Wendy's left cheek and pouted. "You're doing badly already, Wen." She flicked the younger girl's forehead lightly. "Oww! That hurts unnie!" Wendy exaggerated rubbing her forehead with both hands. Tiffany sighed and stood up gathering her things. "Tell her before someone else does, Wen. Tell her everything." She then walked towards the door.

 

"Yah~ unnie eodi ka~~?" *Hey, unnie where are you going?*

 

"At my shop~! I don't have classes anymore this afternoon." Tiffany said waving her hands without looking back.

 

Wendy sat there on the floor for awhile. Thinking; how will she say these things to Irene without her being jealous? Wendy cringed at the thought of getting cold shoulders from her mate.

 

****

 

Irene and Yerim went to the restrooms after eating at the garden. They were about to enter the restrooms when Yerim stopped.

 

"Wae?" Irene asked.

 

Yerim frowned. "I forgot my notebook at the bench. I'll go get it."

 

"Will you be okay alone? I'll come along."

 

"Aniyo unnie. I'll be fine. I'll just follow you."

 

"Hmmkay. I'll wait for you at the restrooms, okay?"

 

"Ne~!" Yerim smiled and ran back to the gardens.

 

Irene then went to the bathroom. Just when she was about to go out of her cubicle she heard some chattering;

 

"Have you heard?"

 

"What?"

 

"Tiffany Hwang is back."

 

"Oh~ the pink princess is back?"

 

"Yeah. And I heard some sophomores saw Wendy and Tiffany being intimate already at the music room just now!" The other one squealed.

 

"I honestly like Tiffany over that transfer student." The other said in a cold tone.

 

Irene flinched inside the cubicle. "Now that Tiffany's back, I'm sure they'll get back together too."

 

"I know right! I bet that transferee is just after fame. Just another bang bunny Wendy's hanging out with."

 

There was a silence after that followed by a tud of the restrooms door. After a few more seconds, Irene went out of the cubicle she teary eyed. She sneered, "Just a friend, huh." She then took a deep breath and wiped away the tears in her eyes before they could even fall. She then walked out of the restrooms.

 

As soon as she went out, Yerim came. "Unnie, let's go?" The child asked with a cheerful smile plastered on her face.

 

Irene forced a smile, "Eung~"

 

***

 

Irene and Yerim sat on their desk. Wendy then entered the room shortly after they did. Irene felt Wendy looking at her but didn't pay attention to her.

 

'Hey, babydoll. Is there something wrong?' Wendy said through their link. But Irene still ignored her.

 

Just then, the bell rang signaling that their classes are starting again. Mr. Yang their professor entered their room. "Everybody gather up your things. We're doing library work for today! Whoever finishes their work first can go home early."

 

The class yelled a cheer by the news and began to shuffle around fixing their own things. Irene stood up with Yerim in tow following the students.

 

"Wait." Wendy said, grabbing her wrist. Irene faced her and looked at their hands. She turned to look at Yerim who was now walking beside Seulgi and Krystal. "We're taking her. Go ahead and talk." Krystal mouthed.

 

Irene sighed and faced Wendy again. "What is it?"

 

"Is something wrong?" Wendy asked her worriedly. Irene freed her wrist from her. It both broke their heart. But Irene's resolve was strong enough to cover up the hurt feelings she's having at the moment.

 

"Nothing." Silence followed.

 

Wendy tried to pry on her mate’s mind to see what's really wrong.

 

"Stop that!" Irene hissed to which Wendy flinched. "Don't go snooping around my thoughts like that. If you were raised without lack of privacy, I wasn't. You can’t just go inside my head and search it as if it's your own walk in wardrobe!"

 

With that Irene turned her back on her and walked away following the other students.

 

****

 

Wendy couldn't believe it. Irene never calls her Wendy. She feels like her heart is being ripped apart.

 

She began to wonder, is Irene hurting like her too?

 

Wendy then texted Tiffany right away while walking to the library. Just like how it was before even Irene came to her life.

 

Tiffany has always been her best friend. She was there first even before Seulgi came. She was her safe haven. But of course, that was before. She has Irene now. But bad habits die hard. She's used to running to Tiffany when things get hard...

 

From: Wen-wen

 

Unnie! What do I do?! She's ignoring me!

 

To: Tiffy unnie

 

Not a second passed a reply came in.

 

From: Tiffy unnie

 

You yeba! You know how news travels on that school. I’m sure she heard about us now! I told you to tell her didn't I? Ohmygod. I;m not going to school tomorrow. I already witnessed a mate getting jealous before. I don't wish to see that picture again. Scratch that. Im not going to school unless you guys make up! Go and talk it out!!!!

 

To: Wen-wen

 

 

From: Wen-wen

 

Didn't I tell you she's ignoring me? What do I do???

 

To: Tiffy unnie

 

 

From: Tiffy unnie

 

I don't know. Dont ask me~ you're the romantic one here.

 

To: Wen-wen.

 

Wendy groaned at the text message exchange they had. When she looked up she didn't realize that she's already inside the library wandering around. Her eyes searched for Irene. She walked from shelves to shelves. She began to to send messages to Irene thru their link.

 

'Joohyun-ah. Im sorry."

 

'...'

 

'Joohyun-ah, please talk to me.'

 

'...'

 

'Joohyun-ah, please. I feel like dying not talking to you like this.'

 

'...'

 

She then caught a whiff of her mate's scent. She continued to walk towards it.

 

'Bae Joohyun. I can't believe you can take this when I can’t even imagine doing this to you.' she sent through their link with a soft pained voice.

 

There. She saw her. Sitting next to Yerim, as usual, with that pained expression on her face. Irene looked up and saw her. She hastily picked up her book and stood up walking to the shelves. Wendy threw a glance on Seulgi and the latter got the message.

 

"Yerim, let the unnies talk." She heard her say to the younger girl. Wendy followed Irene. They we're now almost at the back of the library.

 

"Joohyun." She called after her, but she didn't stop.

 

"Bae Joohyun!" She said a little louder with desperation. With this, Irene stopped not looking back. Wendy walked to her and gave her a back hug. "Please... Talk to me."

 

"You said she was just a friend, Seunghwan. Just a friend..." Irene said with a shaky voice trying to suppress her tears. Wendy hugged her tighter.

 

"Because that's what she is."

 

"Liar. I heard them. Everyone at school is talking about you and her. That she's your ex and she's back. Moreover, you're back together!" Irene hissed.

 

Wendy then realized how stupid she was. Tiffany was right. She should've told her right away. Irene turned to her with her face full of anguish on it. "I hate secrets, Wannie.." she couldn't hold back anymore. Tears escaped from those pool of hazel brown eyes.

 

Wendy hugged her kissing her forehead running her finger on her hair. Irene placed her arms between them trying to free herself from the hug but Wendy just hugged her tighter kissing her all over her face. Irene sobbed even more.

 

"I hate you. I hate you. I hate you..." She whispered.

 

"But I love you. So much. So much that it hurts to see you cry. A-And it hurts even more knowing it was me who made you feel like this..." Irene looked up after hearing a crack on Wendy's voice. And she was shocked that her mate was crying too.

 

"Seunghwan-ah..." Irene reached for her face cupping it and wiping her face off of her tears.

 

"I’m sorry for being stupid. I’m sorry for not telling you beforehand. I just didn’t want you to be insecure over her if ever. But I guess it just made it worse that you have to hear it from strangers.." her legs gave up on her. Irene kneeled with her.

 

"I’m really sorry. P-Please don’t leave me..." Irene was flustered by this. "What are you talking about?!" She cried even more. "P-please don't leave me; you're all I have now. You're my moon, stars, and everything." Wendy sobbed while holding on to Irene's hands that were cupping her face as if her life depends on it. Irene hugged her.

 

"I won’t. I can’t even imagine my life without you..." Irene said Wendy sobbed at the crook of her neck. "P-Please don’t ignore me like this again..." Irene let go of her and stood up.

 

"I won’t leave you.." she wiped her tears away. "But that doesn't mean that I already forgive you for this. I’m staying at the dorm today..." Wendy looked up with agape.

 

"I love you, Seunghwan-ah. But I have to think of a proper way for you to make up for this." Irene then picked up her book and went back to Yerim.

 

****

 

When Wendy went back to where her friends were, the two were nowhere to be found anymore. "Where are Irene and the kid?" Seulgi and Krystal shared a glance. "They're all done with the school work so Irene accompanied Yerim to a shop near here."

 

"What happened, Wendy? She didn't look good when she left." Krystal asked.

 

Wendy flinched. "I... I was stupid." She just answered.

 

"You better fix this fast Wendy." Seulgi said growling. "You have to put in mind that she's not like us. She's human. She's not that aware how this mate thing works. There are things that a human can take. And there are things that we just can’t." Seulgi bit back her words. "I mean, they just can't." Krystal held Seulgi's hand to calm her down. "Seulgi's right. You should talk to her when we get home."

 

"She's.. she's not coming home to the cabin. She said she'll stay at the dorms today..." Both girls saw how worried Wendy looked like.

 

"Don't worry. Victoria and Luna lives at the dorms. They'll alert us if something is up." Wendy sat on the chair where Irene coincidentally sat at.

 

"It's my fault. I should've told her about Tiffany unnie and me more honestly." Seulgi patted her back. "You just did what you thought was right... It just didn't know it'll end up like this."

 

"I’m so sorry to say this but you have to focus for now, Wendy. We still have a pack meeting to worry about." Krystal reminded her.

 

Wendy nodded and began working on her library work so they can all go to the big house for the pack meeting.

 

***

 

Irene and Yerim went to the antique shop near their school. Chimes rang as they entered the store. They started looking around as soon as they saw how packed it was with bits of everything. However, there weren't any customers except for man in a trench coat sitting in a corner reading a book and drinking tea.

 

“어서 오세요” *welcome* A voice welcomed them.

 

"Unnie! It's me, Yerim! I bought a friend with me." Yerim greeted cheerfully at the girl on the counter. The girl had her back them looking busy about something. "Oh, jinjja? Go on and sit here." She answered.

 

Yerim and Irene sat by the bar. When the girl turned to them Irene was surprised. The girl was really pretty. Devilishly pretty in fact. Alluring. Irene's trance was broken by her voice.

 

"Sorry about that, I was finishing putting the cookies to cool." She smiled extending her hand to Irene. "Hi, I'm Joy Park."

 

Irene extended her hand to shake her hand. "Irene.."

 

"She's the unnie I was talking about. The unnie who found me on my first day at school." Yerim said.

 

"Joy unnie's a student on our school too. A freshman." That's when it hit Irene. She was that tall girl with Yerim at the shed.

 

Irene then looked around the shop again. "Nice shop you have here..." Joy waved her hands in front of her. "Oh no~ it's not mine. I just work here." She smiled shyly. "But I agree with you. This shop sure is nice. It's quiet and perfect for having a tea. It feels homey." She continued.

 

As Irene was looking around a portrait caught her eye. "Who's that girl?" She said not looking away at what looked like to her was an oil painting portrait that was behind Joy. "Ohh. That's my boss." Joy smiled.

 

Irene stared at it more intently. She then saw what her mom was telling her; Dragon earrings. She remained calm. "She's very pretty…”