Chapter 1: Kismet

Hybrid's Mate

Chapter 1

 

Wendy walked slowly under the moon on her wolf form with Irene fast asleep on her back. 'This girl is my mate.' she thought giddily. 'But she's human...' For that, she has already thought of a plan to work it up. But she'll see what's in store for them after she cross the bridge she's facing now.

 

Wendy looked up at the night sky filled with stars and with the moon shinning at its brightest. She needs to go to the shrine now, or else Kwon Yuri will get her head in a skewer. It's a good thing Wendy made a back up plan for this.

 

*flashback*

 

As Wendy paced in her wolf form to go where that intoxicating scent is, she tapped on her mind link to contact Gu Hara, their pack's hybrid healer. 'Hara. I need you to come down here at the mountain and pick someone.'

 

'Who is it?'

 

'I feel a human's presence nearby-'

 

'Pfft. It's just a human lost in the forest Wendy. I bet she came from that party the cheerleaders of your school are holding.'

 

'I'm not done yet. I feel a presence of a class E vampire near her.' Wendy made a sprint down the forest trail following the scent she caught awhile ago.

 

She felt Hara's vibe, tensed. 'I understand. But I can't leave my post. We're supposed to guard the borders for intruders- yet...'

 

'We'll discuss this with the packs later.' Wendy assured her. Hara must be blaming herself right now, with the thought of a mere vermin class E slipping through her ranks defenses. 'I'll send Sandara.'

 

Wendy stopped abruptly only a few strides where the human is, 'Are you kidding me? You're gonna let a human ride back to the safe cabin with a vampire after another vampire attacked her?!' Wendy could feel Hara snigger. 'It's not like Dara will drink blood from the human.' Truthfully, Dara won’t drink blood from the human. She's going to be safe.

 

Pureblood vampires don't drink blood, yet she worries for this human. What if she gets traumatized by this event-- Wendy stopped thinking; why the hell am I even this worried for this human?! 'Fine. Send her at the foot of the mountains near the shrine.'

 

Wendy looked back and saw the class E vermin going for the human. She made a leap and bit off its arm. Landing on her paws, she threw the vampires filthy arm away. She turned to the human girl behind her snarled at her. "Get back." she said.

 

Upon laying her eyes on the girl, she knew. She knew she was her mate. She was the moon's gift she's been waiting for. 'I just wanted to have fun on my first night in this city!' she heard the girl thinking out loud. She wanted to laugh at how adorable her mate was for thinking about things like this while she's facing an overgrown wolf and a drooling pest.

 

'I'll make sure about that baby. After I save you from this.' she said tapping on her mate's mind. She felt her mate's emotion. How warm she made her feel. Not that the human knew how she's having the same effect on the beta. 'For now, I'll get rid of this vermin first. Rest assured you're safe with me.' she continued assuring her mate.

 

'Please be careful.' her mate's soft voice said. Wendy gained profound confidence with what her mate said-- not that she wasn't confident. Wendy after all is a cocky person. But her mate's care for her made her want to sky rocket to the moon and kiss it for gifting her such mate.

 

She sniggered, 'I'm a Beta. An E-class vampire isn't going to hurt me. Now, cover your eyes. I don't want you to see how dirty this could be.' She said worrying that she could traumatize the fragile looking woman behind her.

 

Her mate did as she was told. As soon as she covered her eyes, Wendy went in for a kill.

 

Tearing the vampires body bit by bit, looking for its existence core when Wendy saw it at the middle of its chest. 'Oh wow why didn't I think about that? It's always in the chest!' she said sarcastically to herself.

 

Wendy stopped when she was about to crush the blue fire existence of the vampire she was facing. She sensed a presence up above them while doing so.

 

The little existence she was about to crush flew right where she felt the presence. She looked up in time to see two shadows up on a tree holding hands. She sized them up and assumed that they're both girls. Wendy hissed, 'Demon hybrids.'

 

The two hybrids vanished into thin air as the existence reached them. Wendy huffed in annoyance. She looked back at the girl who was wearing a plain purple v-neck shirt and shorts sitting with her eyes covered under a pine tree. She turned her paws and walked towards her human mate. "You can open your eyes now, babydoll."

 

That endearment suited her mate. She looked like a doll crafted from the shining stones of the moon.

 

The girl carefully opened her eyes. Wendy felt her eyes run over her. Her mate is strong, she thought to herself. To take it all in and not breakdown at this kind of situation is quite a skill.

 

The girl stoop up and reached out for her forehead. She found herself leaning in for the touch and surrendering to the girl. She nudged the girl's side with her snout. "Come, I'll take you to safety." The girl nodded. Wendy lowered her body so the girl can ride her back. When the girl was settled on her back she felt her leaning her body fully to her. As if she was already lying behind her. The girl reached to whisper on her ear. "What are you? Who are you?" Wendy smirked, "You're so strong for a human. I'm surprised how you handled this stuff. Not freaking out about that vampire and now riding this overgrown wolf."

 

"Your voice is too soft for a man. You're a girl, aren't you?" "

 

"Does that disdain you, babydoll?" she asked nervously.

 

The human snuggled her face to her fur shaking her head. "No. Not at all. Surprisingly, actually." she smiled. "I get the picture you know. I'm not as stupid as I look like." she whispered again. "You're a werewolf, and you saved me from a vampire. Sounds pretty cliché to me and so out of a drama." she let out a little laugh making Wendy go all frenzy. Her laugh ringed in her ears sending tingling sensations to her. "I read a lot. I guess that's why I'm not surprised. My name is Bae Joohyun. Irene would do. What's yours?"

 

"Seunghwan." she let out a sigh of relief. She thought it was going to be hard for her to breakdown things to her mate. Turns out she's not that naive as she looks like.

 

"I wished for this." Wendy stopped on her tracks to listen to her mate's words. "What do you mean?"

 

"I wished for this. To enter this world of fantasy. Does that seem cheesy?" Irene said.

 

Wendy shook her head. "No. That's adorably cute of you." Irene smiled and felt herself getting drowsy. She fell asleep on Wendy's back.

 

-end of flashback-

 

Wendy carefully went down of the mountain with Irene on her back. When she reached the foot of the mountain, she saw headlights coming for them. Dara was right on schedule.

 

The pickup truck stopped right before them. Wendy tapped into her bond link with Irene to wake her up. 'Babydoll, get up. Your carriage is waiting to take you to a safe place.' Irene stirred and opened her eyes. She got up and went off of Wendy's back.

 

The car door opened revealing a girl with a porcelain skin and kid-like face. Irene noticed one fang sticking out of the girl’s lips and backed up gripping a handful of Wendy's fur. Wendy sensed her anxiety and tapped on their link bond again. 'Don’t worry baby. She won't hurt you. She doesn't drink blood.'

 

'How do you expect me to believe that? She's a vampire.' Irene said on their link as she stared at Wendy's eyes with fright.

 

"I don't have all night I still have a lego city to fix you know!" Dara whined like a child.

 

Wendy turned her paws to face Irene fully. Irene held the wolf's face. 'Trust me, she won't hurt you. I won't let any harm happen to you, my doll.' Wendy then snuggled her face to Irene's. With that Dara pieced two on two together and shrieked.

 

"WAAAHHH! YOU FOUND YOUR MATE!!!" she shouted with her hands on her head pulling her hair and a funny expression on her face. "OH MY GOSH!" Dara fished for her smart phone on her pocket. "I have to tweet this!!!" she said typing excitedly. Wendy lunged at her making the phone drop. She stepped on it and crushed it. Sandara wailed once again. "WAHHH!! I ONLY GOT THAT TODAY!!! I STILL HAVEN'T PLAYED THAT PHONE MUCH, YOU MUTT!" she said as she hurriedly picked up her phones pieces.

 

Wendy turned to Irene. 'See what I mean babydoll? Dara isn't the type of vampire to harm people.' Irene could feel the wolf smile at her. She made a smile nod and replied, 'I trust you.' Irene walked towards the scarlet furred wolf and its face. "I'll see you again, right?"

 

Dara stood up with the remains of her phone on her hands. "O-of course! You'll see her again later. She wouldn’t want to be away from you for too long." Dara said while crying for her phone. She then hopped in the car again.

 

'I'll see you after I get some business done. You should call your friends and parents while waiting for me. They could be worried. If they ask where you are, just say you'll stay the night at the Kwon's cabin. Okay?' Wendy said instructing her mate. Irene just made a nod. She doesn't know why, yet she trusts this creature in front of her with her whole life.

 

Irene went to the car and looked back again to see the wolf. "Take care." she said. "You don't have to tell her that!" Dara said crying. "You should be saying that to my phone!!!" she said banging her head at the steering wheel. "My poor phoneeeee!!! I just bought it yesterday!"

 

Wendy walked beside the car and said, "I'll pay for it. If you zip your mouth and keep her safe."

 

Dara's eyes gleamed. She clasped her hands together. "REALLY?! OMG You're so generous Wendy-nim! I'll treat her like the queen!"

 

"Good. Now, go."

 

Dara started the car's engine. Wendy and Irene held each other's gaze. No words were exchanged. Just looking at each other made them so full. With a few more seconds, Dara and Irene drove away leaving Wendy at the foot of the mountain.

 

***

 

Wendy reached the shrine without difficulty and searched for her sister, Yuri. She sensed their pack's alpha's presence hanging out with Moon stone's alpha, Kim Taeyeon. Both Alphas’ were with their respective strategist slash mates in a room at the top of the shrine.

 

She looked around and saw that everyone was indeed really gathered here at the shrine. Both Wolfbanes' and Moon stone's pack were present with their most important members. Some were having the time of their life at the grounds. Others were wandering, and some are just here to catch up and exchange intels with other supernatural beings.

 

She went up and greeted once she came across with them. At the top floor, she saw Im Yoona, Moon stone's beta, who was leisurely hanging around with feys by the bar. Seulgi was being all touchy with a new face. Even if the girl was new, Wendy could tell that the girl Seulgi was hanging out was a werewolf too. 'Possibility of this girl being her mate is 99.9%' Wendy thought. Seulgi wasn't one to flirt anyways. Wendy concluded that the only werewolves that aren't present are the ones holding the borders of Michino city. (I made up the city's name. Don't bother looking up where is it. Let's just imagine that it's a part of South Korea, okay?)

 

Wendy went to where her sister and her sister's mate was sitting and slumped down with a grunt. Yuri wrapped her arms around her mate, Jessica, protectively yet lovingly. "Any luck finding your mate? Seulgi already found hers." Jessica laughed at that. "Turns out my sister were your bestfriend's mate." she said looking at her younger sister and Seulgi who were getting cozy at the mini sofa bed. Jessica side hugged her mate snuggling her face at Yuri's neck.

 

"What's up with that face?" Taeyeon, Moon stone's alpha, inquired putting down the beer she was holding. "Yeah.. Is something bothering you, Wan-ah?" Sunny, who was Taeyeon's strategist and mate, pushed as she made her way to sit at the arm rest of the couch Taeyeon was sitting on.

 

Wendy bowed down hiding the blush that's making its way to her face. "I-I found my mate just now." She said.

 

Yuri looked proudly at her, "Wow! That's good news! Congratulations Seunghwan-ah!" she said raising her cup of beer. Yuri sensed something wasn't right so she put down her cup immediately. "What's wrong with your mate?" she said.

 

"She's human." Wendy whispered. It was only a whisper, yet everyone in the room stopped and turned to her.

 

Yuri's jaw clenched. "W-What are you going to do?"

 

Seulgi looked at her with worried eyes. Wendy understood why Seulgi was looking at her like that... She knows the danger of being a human. She knows the pain.

 

Yes. It's more of a liability than a strength for a werewolf. Especially on Wendy's case. She's her pack's beta. She can't afford liabilities. Humans are fragile vessels. Wendy is aware of that. If so happens that their kind is attacked by demon hybrids, it is most likely that her mate will be targeted as well.

 

Yuri isn't against her younger sister having a human as a mate. Well, if she haven't met Jessica yet, she might. But after meeting her own mate, she understands the position Wendy was being put in right now. It was hard for Yuri too; having a mate. It scared her to death that at some war, she might just lose her mate. At least her mate is someone who can defend herself alright but at her sisters’ case... a human as a mate...

 

"Have you considered-" Yoona started but was cut off by Wendy. "NO! I WOULD NOT REJECT MY MATE!" Wendy's voice rang inside the room.

 

Yoona was about to retort back but was glared by Sunny. Getting the message, Yoona shut her trap and went back to her business.

 

"Then, have you considered making her into one of us?" Taeyeon asked. A glint of cautious seriousness was seen in her eyes.

 

Wendy looked at Seulgi.

 

She saw Seulgi's jaw clenched. Her mate who was sitting beside her tried to calm her down by the latter’s face. Thankfully, Seulgi did relax but didn't back down at her staring contest with Wendy.

 

Wendy looked away from Seulgi and bowed her head down. "I'll think about that. We'll think about that when things get settled between me and my mate." she said.

 

Jessica her back and said, "Wise choice, Seunghwan."

 

***

 

Dara looked over at the passenger’s seat and saw Irene fiddling at her phone.

 

"What are you doing?" Dara asked. Irene flinched a little at the question, considering that this is the first time Dara spoke to her since Wendy left her with Dara. "U-Uhh... I heard you mentioning mates to Seunghwan awhile ago. And I just remembered it just now. So..." she looked away trying to hide her blush.

 

"Seunghwan, eh?" Dara giggled and Irene blushed even more. "You could've just asked me. I practically made internet, google, wikipidea, and all other stuffs in the internet anyways." She said.

 

Irene looked at her wide eyed. "You did?" she asked, to which the pureblooded vampire nodded. "That can't be. Google was founded by Lany Page and Sergey Brin. Sanger and Whales made Wikipedia. Then Robert E. Khan and Vint Cerf made the internet."

 

Dara crossed her arms. "Did they? Oh well. I sold them those trashes. We couldn't put those to use to their full potential in our realm anyway."

 

Irene yet again gazed at the vampire in awe. "The steering whee-" before she could even manage to say something about it, the steering wheel began to move on its own. Dara raised a brow, "What about it?"

 

"I-It's moving..." Dara looked at the steering wheel, "Oh. Sorry. It's kind of a habit I've developed throughout the centuries since the first car was invented... I forgot you're a human and still new to this magic and weirdo stuffs." she said like it was no big deal and placed her hands again on the steering wheel.

 

Well, maybe it was no big deal for her. But it is for Irene. I mean, why would it not be. She feels like the night is just really starting for her. "No offense meant, but how old are you exactly Dara-ssi?" Dara looked over her and thought for a while.

 

"Let's see.. hmm. I was already born before Jesus Christ was. Or maybe even earlier." she smiled goofily at Irene. "I don't really keep track."

 

"Woah."

 

"I take it that you read a lot? Based on your openness about these strange things that are happening right now around you."

 

Irene made a nod. "I do. I love reading about feys, vampires, demons, and werewolves. Though, my aunt won’t let me. She say's they're all just fictions."

 

Sandara smiled.

 

"Sometimes, the truth is even stranger than fiction." The pickup truck went to a stop in front of a cabin. Irene just realized that they are now in a mini village, possibly at the outskirts of Michino City.

 

"We're here. Let's talk about that thing you’re searching in the internet. Who knows? I can even give you a more well explained theory than those you see in the internet."

 

***

 

The party at the shrine was already finished. The wolves that were on patrol and both packs are now on their way to Lykos village for a good night’s rest.

 

But the Big 9 has other plans.

 

At the middle of the Lykos village was the biggest cabin of all. You could say that it was their 'command center'. Wendy searched for her mate's scent. When she was sure enough that Irene was safe with Dara at their cabin which was located at the top most of the village, she shifted back to her human form.

 

Both Moonstone and Wolfsbane pack's council went inside the command center.

 

They all sat at the room where a large marble table was set. Yuri sat beside Jessica at the top most, as Wolfsbane hold the North borders of the city. Taeyeon sat at the other far side of the marble table as they hold the South borders of the city. Other respectful members sat on their designated seats.

 

Hara, Wolfsbane's healer, a hybrid; half werewolf and half fey, stood up and passed her hand swiftly at the table. The table began to glow showing a map of the city. "Tonight a human was attack by an E-class vampire." she said as she sat back on her seat. Wendy hissed remembering how that vermin even tried to touch what's hers.

 

Jessica and Sunny stood up and looked around the table. "There aren't any signs of breach. Dara could've felt them if someone tried to tamper with her unrestricted spells." Jessica pointed out.

 

"Above that, our trackers didn't catch a smell of e-class vampires." Sunny said. They both looked at each other. "Which means..." Both turned to look at their mates in the eyes. "A demon hybrid has entered the city. Somehow, they got in without alerting Dara." Jessica voiced out. "No." Wendy hissed. Everybody in the room turned to her. "She wasn't alone. I saw two of them as I rescued Irene." she said clenching her hands on the table.

 

"Irene?" Hara asked. "That's what the human's name is. Her mate." Yoona said as she made a big yawn.

 

Wendy shot her a glare. "You mean two of them got in this city?" Taeyeon asked breaking the silent fight between the two.

 

Wendy turned to her and made a nod. "Demon hybrids... I saw the other one retrieve the existence of the E class vampire when I was about to finish it off."

 

"This is bad. It's has been so long since we faced a hybrid fairy demon. Moreover, we don't know if they're both the same hybrid type." Yuri said as she ran her fingers through her hair. She made an eye contact with Taeyeon. "Maybe it's time to get in touch with the fairies again and seek for their philosopher."

 

Taeyeon sighed. "It's been so long since we last saw the Queen of Feys, BoA unnie. Yoona, you'll go to Nereides first thing in the morning tomorrow."

 

"What?! Why me?! I have a date tomorrow!" she whined. Taeyeon shot her a look. "I-I understand." Yoona gulped.

 

"I guess that concludes tonight's council? We’ll talk about this after bringing in the philosopher." Taeyeon said. Both Yuri and Taeyeon dismissed their packs and called it a night.

 

***

 

Dara led Irene inside the Kwon's cabin. "Come in. Feel at home. It's your mate's home."

 

There was it again. The word that made Irene all giddy, needy, and completely utterly flustered.

 

"A-about that... What is a mate exactly?" Irene asked.

 

Dara stopped walking and faced her with a dreamy expression. If emoji's were real, Dara would be that one with heart eyes.

 

She clasped her hands with Irene and said, "Oh young one! Mate is the best thing a werewolf could ever have!!!" She grabbed her risk and led Irene on a staircase leading to what seemed like an underground room.

 

Basement?

 

'Dara's lab. No Wendy and Yuri Allowed! PS: Unless you have food for me or we're under attack' the sign says.

 

Irene's assuming that this room was indeed Dara's room. When they went in, Irene was surprised at how large it was. 'How did this large room even fit underground?' she thought.

 

Bookshelves as tall as buildings were found filled with books surrounding the whole room. A bed shaped as a coffin with a canopy was suspended in air. A part of the room was carpeted and pillows were scattered around. She bet that served as her room's living room. At the middle of the room as a big circle with buildings, houses, and stuffs made out of lego was placed.

 

Dara dragged her deeper in the room. She let go of her and flew to one of the shelves. Irene could just gasp out of amazement. Dara then went down with books on her hands. "These!" she said dropping the books at Irene's feet with a tud. "Are romance books about mates." she said wearing a cheesy grin on her face as she floats. Irene reached for one, "Romeo and Juliet by Sandara Park?" she looked up. Dara nodded, "Yes. I bet you didn't know about that eh?" she smirked. Romeo was a werewolf like Wendy-"

 

"Wendy?"

 

"That's Seunghwan's American name, anyways back on Romeo..." Dara floated around the room and the settled sitting Indian style on the air in front of Irene. "Romeo was a werewolf and Juliet was a vampire. So their families were rivals. It was a tragic story if you asked me they both died." Dara said with a sigh. "But this is by Shakespeare." Dara laughed. "Shakespeare is my best buddy. I gave this prompt to him and he turned it into another masterpiece." Irene couldn't wrap her head around this and laughed, "Okay, okay. If you say so." Dara pouted. "You don't have to believe me if you don’t want to.."

 

Irene cleared , "So, about this mates, what are they? What is it exactly?" She sat in front of Dara to get comfortable, sensing that this conversation might take long. Dara lied down on her stomach in the air as if she was lying comfortably on a bed and place her hands under her chin with her feet swaying back and forth.

 

Irene viewed her as a kid. Maybe as a vampire, Dara wasn't really that old yet. "You see, humans were originally created with 4 arms, 4 legs, and a head with two faces. Some gods, Zeus to be specific- tch that dude. He's no sport. I played polo once with him and he cheated on me-" Irene snapped her finger in front of her. "Sorry, got distracted." she said apologetically and continued, "As I was saying, Zeus split them into two separate parts, condemning them to spend their lives in search for their other halves."

 

"Fairies, Werewolves, Vampires and Demons. As they were once 4 legged and 4 armed creature with two faces. They all have mates too. Fairies were gifts from the sun, Werewolves were by the moon. Vampires were offsprings of the earth and the moon. And demons were offsprings of the underworld with the earth and fairies. You only live with one mate forever. To lose your mate is something... very painful to bear." Dara looked away but Irene saw that there was a tear about to fall from her eyes.

 

"Mates are your true love. Your forever. Someone who'll accept you whatever you are, whoever you are." Dara said smiling.

 

The doors of the room opened.

 

A red haired girl walked in. Irene felt a warm feeling inside her. And with that alone, she already had an idea who this girl who walked in was, "Seunghwan..." she whispered. "My mate." she smiled.