Chapter 30: Trapping the Traitor

Hybrid's Mate

Note: I put a secret message somewhere in this chapter- go figure out what that is. 

Chapter 30

 

 

“Why are we suddenly packing?” Irene questions as she packed some clothes Wendy told her to pack.

 

“We’re going somewhere for an overnight trip.” The other girl answered as she too- packs her clothes on a duffel bag.

 

“But how about school?”

 

“It's fine my sister already sent a message to our school.”

 

Irene just shook her head with a smile; “I guess having your sister as the owner and principal of the school has its perks huh?” she humored then zipped her bag as she was done packing already. “Just make sure this trip is worth it okay? I promised to Yerim that I’d help her with her calculus.”

 

Wendy’s body went rigid and looked at her unsuspecting mate, “You had plans with Yerim today?”

 

Irene just made a cute nod accompanied by a cute pout. “Maybe I should send her a message saying we’re going somewhere?”

 

Wendy thought that letting Yerim know is a bit dangerous with the plan so she hesitates as she thinks of her next words. “You can just tell her tomorrow, no?”

 

Irene moves closer to her and back hugs the latter as she packs her remaining clothes into the duffel bag, “I should let her know now so she wouldn’t have to wait for me at the café near the school. I’d be ashamed if she waited for me all afternoon there.”  She said leaving a cute little peck on her cheek before standing up again to get her phone by the bedside table and send a message to Yerim.

 

Absentmindedly, Wendy goes to the kitchen to pack some food too when she heard Irene ask, “Yerim is also asking where you’re taking me.” She giggled and continued, “I told her I don’t know because you said it’d be a surprise.”

 

Wendy smiled, “I’d like it very much to stay that way. I want that place to be a special place just for us.” She put her forefinger on her lips gesturing a ‘shh’. “It’s gonna be our secret place.”

 

Irene giggled at her dork girlfriend and put on her jacket waiting for Wendy by the door.

 

 

“They’re moving,” Nicole said on the phone.

 

[Follow them.] Said the voice from the other line.

 

Nicole changed into her wolf form; her fur was a mix of marigold with amber on its ends. She kept her pace slow, running about 5 meters apart from Wendy’s car through the woods to avoid them from sensing her. But by the time she reached the intersection she got confused.

 

Two cars were parked as if they were waiting for her- but she didn’t think much of it since it was impossible for them to have caught on that she was following them. So, she crouched down behind the bushes still in her wolf form. She took a whiff of the wind to figure out which car was it again and got confused.

 

Both cars had Irene’s smell; a weird smell of fairy with demon masked with human- that was how Irene smelled like to her. She can’t get it wrong, a lot of things depended on this mission’s success.  That was when she decided she was going to follow which car reeks more like Irene and that’s when the car with a stronger scent started to drive off.

 

Nicole saw that it took a turn for the woods towards the cliffs. ‘So, it's true- they were really going to the cliffs?’ her brows furrowed- her instincts warning her not to follow, but her master gave direct orders. ‘I have to do this.’ She thought and went on to follow the car.

 

 

 

Krystal looked at the rearview mirror, “She’s following us,” she said, and then Seulgi took a side glance at the wing mirror. Normal humans might not spot it but a big wolf was following the car from deep the woods, about five and a half meters away from their car. “If she’s following then it’s our win.”

 

They drove until they reached the cliffs.

 

 

 

As the car stopped by the cliffs, Nicole carefully crouched down again at a safe distance. All she has to do now was wait for Wendy to leave for a moment to have a chance to snatch away Irene.  The flowers were overloading her senses. Too many flowers were blocking her sense of her smell so she had to concentrate more on the smell Irene gives off- but what shocked her was there was an abnormally strong smell of Irene inside the car!

 

That’s when she knew she was tricked! No person; no matter how special they are don’t give off that much stench.

 

Krystal and Seulgi stepping off of the car only confirmed her suspicions. She was tricked by them- she snarled and began to flee but she was stopped in her tracks when she saw Yuri and Jessica who were standing which seem to be a few meters apart from each other but still blocking on her possible way out of the woods away from them, her brows furrowed. ‘How did they go unnoticed?’ she thought.

 

Jessica smirked and dropped a crystal on the ground and Yuri followed suit by throwing a similar crystal. The crystals made a line of light. Nicole panicked at the sight of an unfamiliar spell- or was it a new technology made by their resident pureblood vampire? She turned around to check on the couple who tricked her into following them; then she saw Krystal throwing a similar crystal on her way. Now the crystal and the two others thrown by her sister and her alpha connected. She was now trapped inside a transparent sphere.

 

‘’ she thought. Then she morphed back into her human form. Her marigold with amber streaks fur melted back and turned into clothes.

 

Jessica and Yuri looked at each other. They didn’t know Nicole can shift to human now without needing to rip off her clothes. That’s a whole new level of shapeshifting. “You never told us your level raised a notch,” Yuri said mockingly at Nicole to which the latter snicker. “I don’t answer to you.” She said then turned to Seulgi, “Nor to your Taeyeon.” She said spitting on the ground as if the name was poison in her system and Seulgi snarls at the disrespect. Krystal pats her mate’s shoulder and asked, “To whom do you answer then?”

 

“Oh, you know her alright.” She mocked with a smirk turning to Jessica. “You Jung sisters know her full well.” Jessica just raised a brow and walked closer to the glowing sphere with Yuri the following suit. “Her?” she questioned. Nicole just laughed, “You’re all dancing on the palm of her hands.”

 

“You are part of our pack. You’re part of our family. How can you betray us like this?!” Seulgi shouted as she walked with Krystal closer to Nicole’s sphere cage.

 

“Why? Why do you think, Seulgi?” Nicole dared.

 

“It’s still about her isn’t it?” Yuri asked with a look of guilt on her face.

“You and Taeyeon took her away from me!” Nicole snarled. “My Hyoyeon! My poor sweet Hyoyeon!” She then turned to Seulgi once more. “If it wasn’t for you and that damned facility, Hyoyeon would still be here with me! If it wasn’t for Taeyeon and Yuri insisting on bringing Hyoyeon with them to raid that facility and save you she’d still be alive!”

 

“H-hyoyeon unnie-“ Seulgi stuttered as she turned pale.

 

“Don’t say her name!” Nicole lashes out, clawing at the pyramid that’s keeping her and Seulgi apart. “Don’t ing utter her name with that disgusting mouth! You don’t even deserve to use the name she gave you! you!” Nicole was now a mess. Her eyes turning and her claws were shifting back and forth to human and wolf as she cried. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. “But it’s fine. It’s all going to be fine now. Once I give her mate back to HER, she’s going to give me back my Hyoyeon.”

 

Distracted by the unfamiliar name Jessica and Krystal were more confused now, “Who’s Hyoyeon?” Krystal asked in no one in particular. “Yes, Seulgi, who’s Hyoyeon?” Nicole continued to mock her but Yuri was the one who answered. “Hyoyeon was the healer of Taeyeon’s pack, Nicole’s mate.” She looked at Nicole with eyes glazed with guilt. “She died when we raided that lab facility where Seulgi was.”

 

Nicole looked at Jessica and Yuri with a sarcastic smile playing on her lips. “You’ve all met her by the way; the person who’s going to give me back my Hyoyeon.” She looked at Krystal then at Jessica. “You first met her when you were probably kids. She gave you those majestic white furs you have now.” Jessica and Krystal shudder as chill runs to their spine. She then turned to Yuri and then to Seulgi. “But you’ve met her too in a different appearance- a kid and she even dated your sister, Yuri.”

 

“What do you mean?” Yuri asks even if she already has this inkling realization of who Nicole is talking about.

 

“The child you found in the middle of nowhere in China, Kwon Yuri.” Nicole laughed, “I’m talking about Tiffany Hwang or should I say; The Witch of the Vampire-Demon Court, Hwayoung.”

 

Jessica fell on her knees trembling by the mention of the name of a certain witch, and Krystal almost fell over if it wasn’t for Seulgi’s fast save.

 

“T-That’s impossible- Hwayoung has been dead for years already!” Jessica’s fingers tangling through her locks. “Tiffany… Tiffany isn’t Hwayoung! That’s impossible!!!” she shrieks.

 

Nicole just chuckles humorlessly, “Believe whatever you want to believe mutts. I don’t really care if you lot die from whatever she does. We just both want our mates back.” She said while closing her eyes.

 

“Mate? She wants Wendy back?” Yuri raised a brow in confusion as she kneels to hug Jessica protectively. Nicole just laughs like a maniac still with her eyes closed. “Naïve~ you’re all naïve~” she sings songs and then she shouts at the top of her lungs as she holds on to a dragon coiling around her ear. “It’s a trap! She’s not here!”

 

Realizing what’s happening, Seulgi immediately disarms the pyramid cage devised by Seohyun and tackles Nicole to the ground ripping away the dragon together with her ear at the process. “What the -?!” Seulgi cussed as she realized she’s too late.

 

“An ear is a petty price to pay.” Nicole laughs as she stared at her severed ear from a distance. 

 

“Damn it! We have to inform them!!!” Krystal shouts as she shifts and starts to reach for her bookmark. Horror struck her face- “It’s not working!” she shouts tapping the bookmark. Seulgi stands up as she tosses Nicole to Yuri and Jessica. “No choice, we’re going after Wendy and Irene!” she said then shifted in her wolf form.

 

Author’s Note:

This may seem rushed but we’re nearing an end. After this, I will pick another couple from this story to start another fiction. I’m thinking, Yoona and Seohyun or maybe Jungsis with Seulgi and Yuri because they have the most interesting backstories. I also want Dara’s tho- can’t pick! Help me if you find out about this secret message.