Back At Home

Our Royal Hours

Jaejoong stepped out of the car, seeing the familiar palace that he has taken residence in these few days.

“You are behind your study schedule. Please hurry.” The palace maid said, leading him back to his room.

“Her Majesty the Queen ordered that you are to stay here to study for today. Tomorrow, we will have a fitting session for your outfit.” The palace maid said, about to close the door on Jaejoong when the man stopped her.

“I’m sorry but would you be able to pass a message to Yunho for me?” Jaejoong stopped himself before remembering.

“I’m sorry. The Crown Prince Jung Yunho. Can you pass him a message for me?”

“I don’t think that is appropriate.”

“Please. It’s just to inform him that I’ve reached here. That’s all. Please.” Jaejoong said and the palace maid agreed, promising to do so.

Jaejoong smiled, closing the door before sighing as he sat down on his bed. He glanced to the drawer beside the bed before opening it. His phone was inside, turned off.

“It wouldn’t be good if they catch me with my phone. Especially when that’s the rule.” Jaejoong mumbled.

Before he could even decide, the same palace maid had walked in before placing the books on the table.

“Study then.” Jaejoong mumbled, getting down from the bed before heading straight to the table.

In the East Palace, Yunho was set on the bed as he groaned quietly.

“Do you want some painkillers?” Yunho heard Donghae asking him.

“No I’m fine. Just get on with the ointment and turn the air-conditioner up.” Yunho said as he shifted slightly to make himself comfortable.

“Sleep Yunho. You’ll feel better when you wake up.” That was not what happened.

Two days later, Yunho was still in bed, back searing red with cane marks. He was down with a fever and feeling the pain surging through his body, Yunho knew he won’t be up soon.

He shivered, feeling the cold air around him.

“Donghae. Any news about Jaejoong?” He weakly asked the man sitting in wait beside him.

“You’re sick and the thing that you ask about is Jaejoong? What about when is the next round of painkillers? Or do you think I can survive this?” Donghae asked. If Yunho had the energy, he would have rolled his eyes.

“Can you just answer my question?”

“The training ends today. He’s in session with the King and Queen.”

“Here?”

“Yes, Your Highness. Now, would you please stop talking and continue sleeping?” Yunho closes his eyes, obeying what his butler said as he falls into a deep sleep.

True enough, Jaejoong was in session with his future in-laws.

“Don’t need to be so formal among us, Jaejoong ah.” Ilwoo said, seeing the boy sitting really straight and looking down instead of looking at him.

“I see that Mr Lee had taught you well. Good job, Sujin.” He continued, thanking his wife who smiled back at him.

“After this, you’ll be sent back to your house. I hope you will still uphold all the knowledge that have been passed down to you this past week.”

“Yes, Your Majesty. I will do as you say.” Jaejoong replied.

“Is something wrong, Jaejoong?” Ilwoo asked, seeing that the boy’s eyes have been wandering around as if searching for something.

“Of course not, Your Majesty.”

“If you’re planning an escape route, this is a very difficult room to run from.” Hearing that, Jaejoong looked up at the King. Ilwoo laughed, finally able to see the boy’s eyes.

“Whatever is wrong, don’t worry and tell us about it. We may be able to help.” Ilwoo said.

“I’m sure there is nothing wrong dear. Right, Jaejoong?” Sujin asked, wondering why her husband kept probing the boy.

“I was just wondering where the Crown Prince is. It’s been days since he took me to the airport. I haven’t heard from him since.” Jaejoong explained, curious as to why Yunho was missing. Word from Changmin also said that Yunho had applied for a leave of absence.

“Yunho is…”

“Fine. He wanted to have some private time by himself.” Sujin said, interrupting her husband.

“Come on Sujin. We can lie to the media. Not to our own family. Yunho was punished for disobeying his orders. He’s in his palace recuperating.” Ilwoo said.

“Punished? But he didn’t do anything wrong. He just-Oh god. It’s because of me, right?” Jaejoong asked, shocked to hear the news.

“Don’t worry, Jaejoong. Yunho gets punished from time to time. He’s used to it.” Sujin said.

“I doubt so. No one can get use to punishments.” Jaejoong wondered to himself.

“Please. Can I see him before you send me home?” Jaejoong pleaded.

“Of course but I don’t think he’s awake. One of the guards will send you to the East Palace. You can take the car from there.” Ilwoo said, instructing one of his guards and allowing Jaejoong access to Yunho’s palace.

Once Jaejoong was out of the room, Sujin huffed unhappily at her husband.

“What?”

“Why did you allow him to go and meet Yunho?”

“Sujin, he’s going to be Yunho’s partner. Let them bond. Who knows Yunho would get well after seeing Jaejoong?” Ilwoo replied, drinking his tea.

“My dear, Yunho needs a doctor. Not a boy who is barely legal.” Sujin said, shaking her head before leaving for her schedule. Jaejoong followed the guard into the East Palace.

The last time he was here, it was at night and Jaejoong couldn’t clearly see the whole residential area. Now that he is here in the evening, he could clearly see that Yunho’s residence is more of a Western palace than a traditional Korean palace. The walls were white from the granite and the glass windows are huge, allowing a lot of light to enter the palace.

“His Highness is inside. However, he is still asleep. Do you still want to enter, sir?” The guard asked him. Jaejoong looked through the glass door of Yunho’s room. The guard was right. He could see Yunho on the bed with Donghae sitting on a chair beside him, reading a book.

“It’s alright then. You can send me home.” Jaejoong said. The guard nod before ushering him outside where he gets on a car.

Finally, Jaejoong leaves the palace for his home. He was so glad that he was back. The moment the car stops at his doorstep, Jaejoong jumped out of the car.

“Daddy!” Jaejoong called, throwing himself on his father.

“Welcome home, son.” Kangwoo said, hugging the man tight.

“See Uncle? I told you he would be just fine.” Heechul said before Jaejoong hugged the man too.

“I miss you two so much. You don’t-” Jaejoong stops himself, deciding not to divulge any information on Yunho’s condition. Kangwoo sees his son’s troubled face before deciding to change the subject.

“Well, what are you waiting for? Come on.” Kangwoo said, bringing Jaejoong in.

“Where’s Changmin? I imagined he would be the first one to see me.” Jaejoong said, a little disappointed that his friend wasn’t there. Heechul laughed the moment he heard Changmin’s name.

“What? Did I say something funny?” Jaejoong asked.

“Your dad set Changmin up for a blind date.” Heechul said, giggling.

“Is it so bad? I just thought since you are getting married soon, Changmin should also get a new partner.” Kangwoo explained himself.

“Please Uncle. The boy likes Jaejoong. Who else would stay with Jaejoong like a bodyguard other than Changmin?” Heechul said before gasping.

“Oh god, please forget that I said that.” The boy continued, seeing Jaejoong’s glares and Kangwoo’s confused looks.

“Changmin likes Jaejoong?” Kangwoo asked, looking at his son for confirmation.

“As a friend, Daddy. He’s been my best friend ever since young. Even before you adopted me. Of course he would like me. As a friend.” Jaejoong clarified. Kangwoo decided to drop the subject right there.

“So have you had dinner? I was thinking we can eat out today.” He suggested.

“I was thinking of ordering take-out. Kind of tired after the things the palace put me through.” Jaejoong said.

“Alright. Does pizza sounds good to you?”

“Yes! A pizza with lots of meat on it. Man...how I miss meat. Fried chicken sounds good too. I’m going to take a shower first.” Jaejoong said, skipping away to his room.

“Heechul, you heard the young lady.”

“I’m not a lady!” Kangwoo laughed, already expecting that response from his son.

 


 

Now that is a twist I like to make. I saw the comments rooting for our dear Changmin. Turns out he has a hidden agenda...

Hope you had fun reading!