I Can't Do This

Mr. Kim's Daughters

 

 

+Jacklin's POV+

 

 

I couldn't be pregnant. I shouldn't be pregnant. At least, not right now.

How are we going to cope with a baby? How is his mother going to react? How will people look at me? 

How will Junmyeon react?

I had all these questions in my head on the way back home from the hospital. I didn't want to talk about it. I didn't want to think about it.

When we got home, I went to my room without saying a word and left Irene with my mother. She didn't come in after me, and I guess she understood that I needed some time to myself.

I took my phone out and looked at the background picture of Junmyeon and I kissing, and I wanted to call him right away to tell him everything. I needed to hear his voice, but I couldn't get myself to do it.

I was too scared to even dial his number. Scared that he would know that something was going on, as soon as he would hear my voice.

As I was about to go take a shower, my phone started ringing. I looked at it and saw Junmyeon's name appear on the screen. I stared at it for a while, not sure if I wanted to pick up, and before I could make a decision, I missed the call.

I breathed in and out before calling him back.

Junmyeon: Baby! How are you?

Jacklin: I'm good! How are you?

Junmyeon: I am fine. I can't wait to see you in three days! I miss you.

Jacklin: I miss you too.

There was a silence for a short second.

Jacklin: Junmyeon, I have something to tell you.

Junmyeon: What is it?

Jacklin: Jun... I am-

Junmyeon: Lin, wait a second, please. What? Is he here already?... Okay, I'll be right there. -- Baby, what were you saying?

Jacklin: Nothing! I'll let you get back to work! Talk to you soon!

Junmyeon: Are you okay?

Jacklin: Yeah yeah, don't worry! I'm fine! Go back to work, Baby.

Junmyeon: Okay... I'll call later. Bye bye.

Jacklin: Bye!

That night he couldn't call back because he had a meeting until very late, so I decided to tell him face to face, once in Seoul.

 

 

+Irene's POV+

 

 

We were leaving soon and Jacklin still didn't want to talk about her pregnancy with her family. They all knew about it by now, but no one ever brought up the topic.

It was our last night in Toronto and we were all having dinner together. Everyone was chatting until Jacklin walked in. We all looked at her, not knowing if we should continue our conversations, or just stay calm. She had been eating alone for the past two days, so it was a surprise to see her.

Jacklin: Guys, you don't need to stop for me. Keep talking!

She casually sat between her mother and me, at the table.

Jacklin: know I've been weird these past few days, but I needed some time to think. You all know by now that I'm pregnant. I'm fine with it now.

Mr. Pierce: Are you sure?

Jacklin: Yes. It was just unexpected, that's all.

Mrs. Pierce: Baby, we just want you to know that we're not disappointed at all. We are so proud of the woman you've become.

Mr. Pierce: Don't ever think that you've let us down, and always remember that we've got your back. No matter what.

Marvin: Exactly! And I mean, I'm going to be an uncle! That's what's up! Ha-ha!

Jacklin: I've also decided to stay home a little longer. I will not be going back with Irene tomorrow. I feel like I need to spend more time with you guys.

Tobias: So we get to keep you and little one a little longer? Awesome!

Jacklin: Little one?

Stanley: We were looking for names to call the baby, and Irene came up with "little one".

Jacklin: That's cute. I like it.

Mrs. Pierce: Are you sure about this?

Jacklin: Yes. I want to spend more time with you. I need it.

Her mother nodded and caressed her hair tenderly. And with that, everyone went back to their normal conversations. I looked at Jacklin once more to make sure that she wasn't just putting an act.

Jacklin: Naneun kwenchana! Jeongmal! Don't worry!

I nodded my head and dropped the topic for now. What was she going to tell Junmyeon to justify the fact that she wasn't coming back?

When we finished eating we went back to the room and sat down on the bed together while I finished packing my stuff. We were both silent for some reason.

Jacklin: I'm sorry for avoiding you on your last two days here. I should have made an effort to sociolize, at least with you.

Irene: Don't worry about me. Stan and Tobby take good care of me! Ha-ha. They are adorable.

Jacklin: Yes, they are. I love them.

Irene: How do you feel?

Jacklin: Better... I still don't know what to tell Junmyeon for tomorrow.

Irene: You can just say that you want to spend more time with your family. He will understand that.

She nodded her head and fell silent again. When I finished packing I looked at her and found her staring down at her phone.

Irene: Do you want to tell him right now?

Jacklin: Hm?... Ah... I should do that, right? I'm afraid that if I call, he will suspect something.

Irene: He won't. As much as I love Junmyeon, I never forget that he is a boy, meaning that he is slow about these things. Ha-ha!

She laughed and nodded again, agreeing with me. She did that a lot lately, as if she was too worried or tired to answer with words.

Irene: When will you come back?

Jacklin: I was thinking about staying here for two more weeks.

Irene: That's good.

Jacklin: Yeah.

This time I was the one who didn't know what to say next. There were so many things that I wanted to tell her and that I knew she wanted to hear, but I still couldn't find the right time to.

Irene: A baby...is a good thing. It's an unbelievable blessing, and I'm a hundred percent sure that Jun and you will make the best parents ever.

Jacklin: I'm scared...I don't want to fail.

Irene: A mother who tries hard, never fails, Lin-ah. Mine gave up on my sisters and I, but I know for sure that you won't do that. You are a good person, and you will definitely be a good mother.

Jacklin: Thank you... thank you for everything.

Irene: It's nothing... now let's go to bed, I've got to leave early tomorrow.

Jacklin: You're right.

We changed our clothes and went to bed early. I woke up around 6:30 am, took a shower and got changed. When I came back, Jacklin was still sleeping, so I went down to the kitchen to take my breakfast.

Mrs. Pierce: Good morning Irene! Did you have a good night?

Irene: Good morning Careen! Yes, thank you! How was your night?

Mrs. Pierce: Good too! Is Jacky up yet?

Irene: Ah... no, I let her sleep in. I think she is tired. I'll wake her up before leaving.

Mrs. Pierce: Okay. I'm the one driving you to the airport. I'll be ready in thirty minutes, and then we can go.

Irene: Alright.

 

I went back upstairs to gather the few things that I had left outside and to my surprise, Jacklin was still sleeping. I guess she was really exhausted. I decided not to break her sleep and left her a note instead. Her mother and I left after I said goodbye to all of her siblings and thanked them for their hospitality.

During the car ride, Mrs. Pierce honestly opened up to me about Jacklin.

Mrs. Pierce: I wanted to thank you, Irene.

Irene: Oh? What for?

Mrs. Pierce: For helping Jacklin and staying by her side like a real friend.

I didn't know if Jacklin had told her parents about her previous living arrangements in Seoul, so I didn't know what to say. I didn't want to throw her under the bus at this time, when they needed to be reassured about her life there.

Mrs. Pierce: I know about everything. I know how she lived when she got there and why. I also know how much your family helped her. The fact that you welcomed her inside your home as one of yours, makes me feel so grateful to you. Thank you for taking care of my baby.

Irene: Jacklin is a wonderful person, and I feel like I've also gained a new sister in the process. I thank Junmyeon for introducing her to me.

Mrs. Pierce: I feel a little more reassured to know that you will be there for her when she will go back. It's not that I don't trust Junmyeon, but I know a mother's influence on a son, I have four of them, Haha... I was willing to close my eyes on everything, let her get stronger by fighting for her love, no matter how long it took, but now there's a third person involved. I don't want my grandchild to be born in an unstable atmosphere.

Irene: Careen, I've known Junmyeon my whole life, and if there is one thing that I am certain of is that with or without a baby, he would never let Jacklin get hurt by anybody. He loves and cherishes her so much. He knows how special she is, and don't worry I will also be there to remind him every day! Ha-ha.

Mrs. Pierce: Ha-ha. Thank you Irene.

The rest of the car ride was less heavy and we talked about the future baby and how spoiled he or she would be. When we got to the airport, I got out of the car and took my luggage at the back, before hugging Mrs. Pierce goodbye.

Mrs. Pierce: Feel free to come back anytime, and with your sisters too! You'll always have a family here in Toronto!

Irene: Thank you for this week! I will come back as soon as I can! And you could also come visit Korea one day!

Mrs. Pierce: I sure will! Go ahead now. Have a safe flight!

Irene: Thank you!

I hugged her one last time and walked inside the airport. I hope everything will be fine with Jacklin.

Soon enough my flight was called and people started boarding the plane. As soon as I was inside, I closed my eyes and went to sleep.

14 hours later, I was in Seoul. I was so tired because I had spent 14 long hours alone, with no one to talk to.

I couldn't wait to see my sisters and chat about anything. I quickly found my luggage and almost ran out to see who came to fetch me. I was more than happy when I saw my handsome boyfriend, waiting for me with the most beautiful smile I had ever seen. I rushed to him and gave him a tight hug.

Sehun: Aigo! You were just there for a week. Did you miss me that much? Ha-ha!

Irene: Didn't you miss me?

Sehun: Of course I did! I couldn't wait to see you today. How was your flight?

He asked, pulling my luggage and taking my bag, to hold it for me. I took my bag back and held my hand out instead.

Irene: If you hold this, I can't take your hand!

He sweetly smiled at me before grabbing it and walking me out to his car.

Irene: The flight was long! I spent 14 hours watching movies and eating.

Sehun: I can imagine.

Irene: By the way, what did Jacklin tell Jun to explain that she wasn't coming back today?

Sehun: She called a little after your flight left and said that she wanted to spend a little more time with her parents. He found that weird, and me too, to be honest.

Irene: Ah... Let's hurry home, I've missed my family!

He laughed at my poor attempt to change the subject, but dropped it anyway. On the way back I didn't pay attention to the road and kept looking at him. I didn't know I had missed him that much.

When the car stopped, I looked around and we were not in my neighborhood, but in Jun's.

Irene: Why are we here?

Sehun: Follow me.

He didn't say anything more, and I just followed him like he told me to. I thought we were going to see Junmyeon first, before heading home.

We took the elevator up to the fourth floor and not the third like we were supposed to. Sehun was still walking, so I figured that he did not mistake the floors. At some point he stopped in front of a door and rang the bell.

To my utter surprise, Yeri opened it.

Irene: Yeri? What are you doing here?

Yeri: Eonnie! Wasseoyeo!

She hugged me and dragged me inside without answering my question. Seulgi and Wendy were watching TV while Joy was eating with my dad. What were they all doing in someone else's apartment?

Seulgi: Eonnie! Wasseoyeo?

Irene: What are you all doing here, guys? Appa...

Mr. Kim: Oh, you didn't tell her?

My dad asked, addressing to Sehun. I turned back to look at him, and he simply smiled.

Irene: Can someone please explain what's going on?

Wendy: I can! Welcome to our new home!

Irene: Mworago?!

Seulgi: Oppa found this new apartment for us, here in Hongdae. It's cheaper and bigger than our previous apartment because it is a new building that they are still looking to promote.

Joy: And with Appa's new job, we can totally afford living here! Isn't it great?

Irene: But... how? In a week...

Sehun: I found it a few weeks ago when Jun and Lin found theirs. I was just waiting for the right time to talk about it.

I was shocked by I what I was being shown. The apartment was a lot larger than our previous one, and we had so much more space to live in.

Yeri: Eonnie, we worked so hard to move all the things in a week! Thank God, it was on school break, because doing all of this while going to class would have been horrible!

Wendy: Are you happy? Do you like it?

Irene: I am still... a bit shocked, to be honest. Wow.

Joy: You'll get used to it soon! Eonnie, we have three rooms now! Wendy Eonnie and I share one room, Seulgi Eonnie and Yeri share the second room, and now Appa can sleep alone! It's great!

Irene: Oh? What about me? Where will I be sleeping?

Sehun: Follow me!

Before I could protest, he dragged me back out to the elevator and up to two more floors.

Irene: Sehun, where are we going now?

He pulled me in front of another door and opened it, after tapping a code. We walked inside and I looked back at Sehun for an explanation.

Sehun: This is our apartment. I knew getting one together would involve you being away from your family, and I didn't want you to experience that, so when I saw that they were renting these two apartments, I didn't even think twice. This will be our home from now on, if you agree to something.

Irene: Sehun.

He kneeled down in front of me and my eyes grew big. What was he doing?

Sehun: Kim Irene... I know that we've only been dating for no more than six months, but you perfectly know that I loved you for as long as I can remember, and I'd like to think that it is the same for you. I really don't want to spend another moment of my life calling you my girlfriend. I want to be able to call you my fiancée from now on, so Irene... would you do me the honor of becoming mine?

My eyes were already filled with tears and I couldn't control my emotions. I was so surprised by the sudden action, but I didn't need to think it out any longer.

I am hopelessly in love with that guy, and I can't see myself with anyone else. I kneeled down in front of him, held his hands and said:

Irene: Yes. A hundred times, yes.

I felt the urge to kiss him and did it on the spot. I could tell that he was taken aback, but he quickly caught up.

"Yeaaaahhhh! Chukahae!"

I turned away from the kiss and looked back. My family was standing at the door, smiling and clapping their hands for us.

Irene: You knew about this too?

Seulgi: We helped Oppa for the ring! Do you like it?

Sehun: Oh yes, the ring! Here!

He released my hand and took out a little box from his back pocket. When he opened it, my jaw dropped. It was the simplest yet most beautiful ring I had ever seen this close. It had a crystal on the center, but it wasn't tacky at all.

I was on cloud nine. I didn't know how to express it, so I hugged him and my sisters together.

We decided to celebrate the news tonight, with everyone. Sehun and I went to his office first because had he forgotten his wallet over. I took that chance to visit the locals for the first time. I had never been to his workplace before.

I greeted everybody on our way up to his office and they were all looking at our hands intertwined, with surprise. I guess he never told anyone here that he had a girlfriend.

Now fiancée.

Miss Min: Hello, Mr. Oh. What brings you here today?

Sehun: I forgot my wallet in my office. Ah, Irene, this is Min Yoona, my secretary. Yoona, this is Irene... my fiancée.

Miss Min: Omo! It's so nice to meet you!

Irene: It's nice to meet you too! Please take good care of me!

Sehun: Come on, let's go. I'll see you later, Yoona!

His office was huge. I looked around and there were pictures of me, of us, on the table, and I wondered when he took them and printed them. I sat for a minute while he looked for his wallet. When he found it, he came to sit next to me.

Irene: I'm so happy... thank you. I can't wait to tell Jacklin!

Sehun: Since you've mentioned her... Tell me the real reason, please.

Irene: Hm? She just really wanted to spend more time with her family. That's all.

Sehun: Are you really going to keep lying to your fiancé?

Irene: Yah! That's not fair.

Sehun: I won't tell Junmyeon, I promise.

Irene: Erm... Well... She found out that... She is pregnant.

Sehun: What?!

Junmyeon: What did you just say?!

We both turned to look at the door and Junmyeon was standing in the frame, staring at me with fire in his eyes.

Oh my God, what did I do?