This Is Not A Dream

Mr. Kim's Daughters

 

 

+Jacklin's POV+

 

 

I was sitting in the back, my eyes fixed at Junmyeon and his mother bickering back and forth, but I wasn't really seeing anything.
She is going to be your wife: my mind went blank after she said that. I wondered why I was still sitting there when I felt so insulted, so humiliated.

I thought about my parents back in Canada and my heart sunk. I was ashamed for them and for myself. How disappointed would they be, knowing that their only daughter was letting someone say these hurtful things, right to her face. I was just numb at that moment.

Junmyeon: This conversation is over! I'm not doing it, point blank.

Mrs. Kim: Then I'll never let you see her again. Don't forget that I am your mother. I have a say on who you're allowed to marry!

Junmyeon stood up and dragged me up with him and to the door. We passed by his father, and Junmyeon ignored him and Sungjae when they asked what was going on.

I stayed silent, not wanting to burst out crying from being hurt... or from being angry. Junmyeon was more than furious, a thing that he is not usually. With him being naturally so calm and composed, people often were shocked to see him get mad.

We drove back to our apartment, in silence. Junmyeon directly entered the room, without talking. I sat on the sofa, because I really couldn't deal with this right now. I passed a hand on the back of my neck, trying to calm myself down.

It didn't seem like it but I felt extremely tired of the situation, already. I knew it wasn't going to be easy, but I guess no one is ever fully prepared for this.

My phone vibrated next to me and I took it to see who was calling. It was Irene. I contemplated whether or not to take the call, because I didn't want her to suspect anything. I finally decided to pick up.

Jacklin: Eo, Irene!

Irene: Lin-ah! Are you okay?

Oh? Why was she asking me this so suddenly? Did Junmyeon tell her something?

Jacklin: Eo? Wae?

Irene: Ani, you didn't come home for the past three days and you didn't text either. I thought you were with Jun the first two days, but I was starting to get a bit worried.

Jacklin: Oh my God. I'm so sorry Irene! I've completely forgotten to text you. I'm sorry for being so careless.

Irene: Lin, it's okay! As long as you're fine, then it's all good.

Jacklin: Thank you... I'll be coming home tonight!

Irene: Keurae! Ittabwa!

We hung up and I got up to start collecting my things to go. I made my way to the room where Jun was laying on the bed, still sulking. I smiled to myself, because he was still cute when he was mad.

Jacklin: Junmyeon, I'm going to go back home tonight.

He sat up at the sound of my voice and looked at me, puzzled.

Junmyeon: Wae?

Jacklin: I've been away for three days already. I didn't even settle things there, or thanked them properly.

Junmyeon: Can't you do that tomorrow?

Jacklin: I'd rather do it sooner than later. I also feel that it'd be good to let you think about everything that happened earlier, alone.

Junmyeon: Ah... Lin, I'm so sorry. Here I was, sulking and forgetting that you must have been more hurt than I have. I am sorry for what my mother did.

Jacklin: It's okay. It's not like we didn't expect it to be difficult.

Junmyeon: I won't let her do that to us. Trust me.

I smiled at him and nodded my head.

Junmyeon: Get your things and I'll drive you back.

Jacklin: Okay.

He drove me back to the apartment and we talked for a bit before he left. It seemed like we were both putting up a face, in front of one another. I didn't know what he was going to do after I would leave.

Irene opened the door for me. She was having dinner with Joy and Yeri, Seulgi and Wendy went out with their friends, and Mr. Kim was already in his room, so I didn't want to disturb him.

Yeri: Eonnie! We missed you!

Jacklin: I missed you guys too!

Irene: What have you been up to?

Jacklin: Well...Junmyeon and I found an apartment!

Irene: Really? That's great, Lin!

Joy: Wow Eonnie, chukahae!

Jacklin: And I met his parents...

Joy & Irene: You met Mrs. Kim?!

Jacklin: And Mr. Kim also.

Irene: Yeah, but Mr. Kim is so nice. I'm sure he was great to you! Tell us about his mother.

Jacklin: Well, she basically said that we couldn't be together, and she brought a potential wife for Junmyeon.

Joy: What?!

I explained what happened and they were shocked. They didn't expect it to go this far.

Joy: Why are your relationships so difficult? I'd rather stay single!

Yeri: Don't forget that if you date Sungjae Oppa one day, Mrs. Kim will be your mother in law. Ha-ha!

Irene and I laughed at Yeri's truthful remark, but Joy was looking like she had just realized what her relationship would look like. When the girls went to bed, I stayed up for a while, thinking about the situation once again.

I thought it was unfair to Junmyeon for me to waver, at all. I knew that I couldn't, and didn't want to live without him and that I wanted to be his wife someday, so I had to try my best to change his mother's mind, instead of running away.

Jacklin: Starting from tomorrow, I'll cook for her, everyday. I'll help her out with the chores and the housekeeping. I'll show her how good of a wife I would be to her son! Jacklin, himnae!

 

 

+End of POV+

 

The next day, she cooked some rice and beef with some typical Korean side dishes, after looking it up on the internet, and went to Junmyeon's family house without telling him. When she got to the door, Junmyeon's mother ordered to not let her in, so she went back home.

She did it again the next day and the days after, until Mrs. Kim finally let her in. She walked to the kitchen and put all the food on the counter. She looked around, mesmerized by her beautiful surroundings. She didn't get to have a tour of the house since she put a foot in, the very first day. It was too chaotic, for her to ask.

Mrs. Kim: What do you want?

Jacklin jumped a little, surprised by the sudden voice of Mrs. Kim, while she walked in the room.

Jacklin: Annyeonghaseyo, Eomonim! Have you been well?

Mrs. Kim looked at the counter behind Jacklin and saw the food.

Mrs. Kim: Ige mwoya?

Jacklin: Oh, it's some food that I've cooked for you. I'm currently trying to learn as much cooking as I can.

Mrs. Kim: Did you do this alone?

Jacklin: Yes, I've looked it up on the internet and I've tried to make it, but I'm sure your food tastes way better than mine, Eomonim!

Mrs. Kim quickly looked at Jacklin, then looked away. She turned back around and left the room without saying anything. A maid came in, a few minutes later and told Jacklin that they needed to clean the living room together, at Mrs. Kim's request.

Jacklin's face lit up and she nodded her head, before following the maid. She kept coming for a whole week, after Mr. Kim left for work and leaving before Sungjae got home, because she didn't want them to know and tell Junmyeon.

Junmyeon was still not talking to his mother and Jacklin made it her mission to reconcile them. She was just waiting for Mrs. Kim to open up to her a little bit.

One day, while she was cleaning the garage and cooking lunch with the house's maid, something finally happened. The woman grew fond of Jacklin's personality and drive of the past few days. They started talking a lot as they worked together.

Noori: Jacklin-ssi, I'm going to the market. I'll see you when I get back.

Jacklin: Keurae! Ittabwagaeseumnida!

Jacklin finished cleaning and rearranging the boxes in the garage, then went back to the kitchen to start cooking lunch. Mrs. Kim walked in when she was just  starting.

Mrs. Kim: Where is Noori?

Jacklin: She went to the market. Did you need something, Eomonim?

Mrs. Kim:... No it's okay. Were you cooking?

Jacklin: I was just starting! I'll do the side dishes and leave the main course to Noori, don't worry.

Mrs. Kim: Waeyo?

Jacklin: I don't want to fail the meal, since you will all be eating.

Mrs. Kim contemplated for a second then walked next to Jacklin.

Mrs. Kim: Leave the side dishes to Noori today. I'll teach you how to do this course.

Jacklin: Really?! Thank you, Eomonim!

They started cooking together and Jacklin was more than happy. They did that every once in while, every time she came by. Mrs. Kim was slowly opening up to Jacklin and they once briefly shared stories about Junmyeon.

One day when they were cooking, Mrs. Kim talked about the sensitive subject of marriage.

Mrs. Kim: I know what you're doing and I really appreciate your efforts, Jacklin... but you've got to understand my heart.

Jacklin: Ah... Honestly speaking, I do understand your heart perfectly, Eomonim. I know how society works and I know how difficult it would be for the both of us. I just wished it wasn't that hard for two different people to love each other.

Mrs. Kim: Jacklin... I see how much you love my son. I really do... it's just... Ah.

Jacklin nodded her head and smiled at Mrs. Kim. She understood how concerned she was about her son's future and how much she loved him.

Mrs. Kim also understood Jacklin and was thankful for the love she had for her son, but she was just scared of what would be said of her child. Truthfully, she did not see any harm in their relationship, but their Korean entourage would not necessarily react the same way.

That day, Sungjae came back home earlier than planed and heard a bit of the conversation between his mother and Jacklin. He started feeling worried that she would give up on his brother, because she would feel guilty towards their mother.

He didn't know what to do. If he should tell his brother or not was a question that was bothering him. He waited for Jacklin to be on the leave and followed her outside. He walked in silence behind her, for a while, until their Villa was out of sight and right when he was about to call her name, she stopped walking.

She kneeled down in the deserted alley, put her head in her hands and started crying. He stopped in his tracks, frozen into place. He didn't know what to do, so he let her cry for a bit because she didn't know he was following her. After about five long minutes, she stood back up and started walking again.

Sungjae didn't follow her, too saddened by what he had just witnessed. How much courage does she build up everyday, before coming here, to end up hearing everyday that she will never be enough. He felt sad for his brother too.

He thought that maybe it wasn't her first time to cry, after a day at his house. Sungjae started staying at home as much as he could to see how they treated her, but he asked Noori not to tell her. He would occasionally see her coming in, still wearing her work clothes on and running to the kitchen like she was one of the maids.

Junmyeon, on his side, was also very worried about her. He didn't get to see her too much for two weeks, because she was always "busy". He kept wondering what was taking so much of her time, to the point that they couldn't even meet for a lunch date.

She also didn't sleep at the apartment for the past two weeks. She still had not "settled" things with Irene's family, as she kept repeating. He somewhat felt like she was trying to avoid him, because she was scared of what would happen to them in the future.

He thought it was so unlike Jacklin to waver, this easily, but his feelings were hurt. One day, he met with Sehun to go wedding rings shopping and he took the occasion to let out some of the stress he'd been building up inside, all this while.

Sehun: I think you need to stop overthinking this whole thing. What you should do right now is try to reconcile with your mother and try to convince her. We both know that you wouldn't be able to get married, if she isn't happy too.

Junmyeon: She just went completely overboard with all of this. I mean really? Did she need to go that far?

Sehun: First of all, she is a woman, so yes she will go overboard in your eyes, but not necessarily in hers. Secondly, she is your mother. They're overbearing and over protective of their sons. They all are, trust me.

Junmyeon: Sehun, there's no one cooler than your mother and she lets you breathe.

Sehun: That's what you think because you're not her son. I can't even count how many of my girlfriends my mother didn't like and scared away.

Junmyeon: Well, you had quite a few and not always polite ones, so I get where she was coming from.

Sehun: That's not the point. The point is that she will always do what she thinks is best for you. All you've got to do is talk to her. Tell her how much losing Jacklin will hurt you more than what people will say about your couple.

Junmyeon: When did you become so smart, Mr. Oh Sehun?

Sehun: Ha-ha... not funny. Now let's look for the perfect ring for my woman.

 

 

+Jacklin's POV+

 

 

I was on my way to our apartment where I was going to sleep for a few days, because it'd been a while since I left. Junmyeon had something to tell me, and I also wanted to talk about the issue with his mom.

He needed to stop acting like a little boy and talk to her, at least. I knew that he was doing all of this for us, but a mother is a mother. He could not just ignore her, because of another woman. I wouldn't feel great if my son was ignoring me because of a woman, and I surely wouldn't like her at all, exactly because of that.

I could not really say that Mrs. Kim liked me already, but I knew that she had started tolerating me, at the very least, and that was ten steps ahead from where we were, about three weeks ago.

When I got to the apartment, Junmyeon was on the phone, so I put my bags in the room and waited for him to finish his call. When he was done, he walked in the room and hugged me.

Junmyeon: Sorry, we had to reschedule the court case, because Mr. Park's side asked for it.

Jacklin: Again?! Isn't he using too much of his power?

Junmyeon: Yes, but that's good for us. The more he tries to avoid court, the more guilty he looks. Plus, it gives us more time to find even more evidences. What we have right now is already pretty solid.

Jacklin: I can't wait for it to be over. Irene will be so relieved, and Sehun will finally be able to propose.

Junmyeon: True. I hope that all of this will be over soon. Anyways, let's talk about something else! I have a surprise for you!

Jacklin: Really? What is it?

Junmyeon: Hold on. Let's have dinner first. Come on, I cooked for you!

We made our way over to the dinning room and sat at the small table. It was still big enough for the both of us. He poured me some wine, before sitting down in front of me. We enjoyed a nice dinner date while talking and laughing like we always do.

Jacklin: So... what is my surprise?

He smiled at me and furrowed into his pocket, before taking out an envelope.

Junmyeon: Here.

He handed it to me and motioned for me to open it. I did and started reading the letter.

Jacklin: "Dear honey. I know it's been a while since I called you "honey", but I've decided to do it again. I wanted to give you this gift to thank you for your constant support and love of the past four and a half years, during which we've known each other. Two years of friendship, almost three of dating, I could not wish for a better life partner. Nothing is ever clear when you're away, and that's why I will keep you by my side, forever. Yes, I will be this selfish, yes, I will be greedy for your love, and yes, I will always protect your heart before mine. Don't think you'll be able to leave me, any time soon.
Ps: You can't say no. It's not refundable. I love you, my Queen."

I looked up from the letter, then back at the envelope. I checked inside and there were two plane tickets for Canada.

Jacklin: What is this?

Junmyeon: It's two plane tickets. I thought that maybe you'd like to see your family, since it's been a while. You've been living here for almost eight months. I think it's about time you visit them. You know how much they miss you.

Jacklin: For when are those?

Junmyeon: In two weeks. I checked your schedule with your workplace, and you'll have a week and a half vacation. You'll be able to spend time with your parents and your brothers.

Jacklin: Junmyeon... this is...

Junmyeon: I knew you would love it!

Jacklin: No! This is not the right time!

Junmyeon looked at me, shocked at my reaction.

Junmyeon: What...

----------------------------

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL MY READERS! I WANTED TO PUT THE CHAPTER ON THE 1st BUT I HAD SOME TECHNICAL ISSUES. ANYWAYS, I HOPE YOU ALL HAD A GREAT NEW YEAR'S EVE! MAY 2016 BRING YOU EVERYTHING THAT YOU WISH FOR AND DREAM OF!

Ps: Sorry for the bold characters. I got carried away. Ha-ha. Thank you always, for reading my story! Xoxo!