Rewind

Mr. Kim's Daughters

 

 

+Sehun's POV+

 

 

My birthday dinner had been going great from the moment I stepped into the apartment, and most importantly Junmyeon looked like he was having a good time. It made me happy to see him smile even for a few moments, knowing that deep down inside he did not really want to be with people that reminded him of Jacklin.

I was almost certain that he did not feel like celebrating anything at all. I could tell from the way he acted.

Yeri: I am so tired. I think I am going to go to bed now.

Wendy: This early?!

Yeri: I am feeling a little under the weather still.

Irene: I brought you some soup, Princess. Eat some of it before you go to bed.

Joy: Come on, I'll put some in a bowl for you.

Sehun: Jin, how are you going to get home afterwards?

Jinyoung: We're sleeping over at Jaebum hyung's place tonight. It's just right down the street.

Wendy: You've got yourself a place?! Right next to our residence?!

Jaebum: Ah... Yeah, I found a cheap one not too far. It's not really that nice.

Sungjae: Not nice? He is being modest. His apartment is daebak!

Junmyeon: Are you sleeping there tonight too, Sungjae?

Sungjae: Me? Ani, I came on my scooter. I going back home later in the night.

Irene: It's going to be late by the time you leave, Sungjae-yah. Why won't you sleep over at ours? You can always crash in our guest room since Sseul is staying with the girls while my dad's on his business trip.

Sungjae: Aah... Thank you Noona, but I don't want to be a bother to anyone.

Sehun: Non sense. You won't be a bother to us.

Sungjae: Thank you really, but I d-

Junmyeon: Then come sleep at my place. I also have a guest room, and I am your brother. You should sleep over at mine.

Sungjae looked at him, not sure of how to react to what Jun had just said. For two whole months, Junmyeon had been extremely cold to his entire family, so as odd as it sounds, it was weird to hear him offering his brother to sleep over at his place.

Sungjae: If that's really okay with you.

Junmyeon: I am inviting you, right?

Sungjae: I just wanted to make sure.

We had all been silent for a moment when Junmyeon spoke again.

Junmyeon: Sehun, can I talk to you for a minute?

I immediately looked at him.

Sehun: Me?

Junmyeon: Yes.

I faintly nodded, not sure if it was a great idea considering how our conversation went earlier that day, but I still stood up and lead the way out of the apartment, Junmyeon following behind.

We silently walked side by side to the elevator, and funnily we got on and went up to his apartment, without realizing.

Junmyeon: Would you like something to drink?

Sehun: No, I'm fine, thanks.

W both sat down in the living room and faced each other as I waited for him to say something.

Junmyeon: Well... I wanted to talk to you, first to apologize for my behavior of this past month. I didn't realize that I was going overboard sometimes... Actually I did, but I couldn't help it. Whenever I saw you and Irene together, it just kept reminding me of what I had lost.

I looked down at my hands, not really sure of what to say to that. Of course he would feel lonely seeing us together, but what could we really have done about it? We have tried not to show any type of affection in his presence, but he still managed to get upset anyway.

Junmyeon: I am happy to have you as a friend and a business partner, and I wanted you to know that I would never take our relationship for granted. I just didn't know how to deal with all of this. I am sorry for hurting your feelings with everything I said.

Sehun: I totally get it, Junmyeon. And it's because I get it that I never blamed you. I just got frustrated every time you would take it out on your family or Irene, because I know the real you. I know that you are far from being the person you've let yourself be lately. That's nothing like you.

Junmyeon: Look... I won't promise that I will immediately go back to being myself, because honestly I don't really control my reactions or my emotions. Sometimes I will feel down and other times I will feel a little bit better, so I don't know. But I am going to try, that's for sure.

Sehun: Just don't take it out on Irene or anyone else for that matter. You can take it all out on me, man. I'm here for that, because I am your friend, Jun. Don't let others see that side of you, especially not Irene and the girls.

Junmyeon: I know... When I will want to snap at somebody, I'll make sure to call you and swear at you. Ha-ha.

Sehun: And I'll bring you back to your senses by swearing the crap back at you. Ha-ha.

Junmyeon: Thank you Sehun. I am going to apologize to Irene later tonight... I know I haven't been a gentleman lately.

Sehun: Don't worry about it, you know she is a tough one. I am actually surprised to see that she didn't slap you in the face once or twice already.

Junmyeon: I am surprised too.

We laughed for a few seconds before it got silent once again.

Sehun: Yah, let's stop being this awkward! That's so not like us!

Junmyeon: Well, people change Sehun.

Sehun: Huh?

I was confused. I had really thought he was going to stop being like this.

Junmyeon: Ha-ha! I am joking! You should have seen your face!

He laughed his heart out while I stared at him in disbelief. I couldn't believe that he had just played that joke on me.

At the same time I was quite glad to see him genuinely laugh like that. I was relieved because he was still able to joke around like he used to do, so I ended up laughing with him. Well, I also had to admit that he had me there for a second.

Junmyeon: Let's go back down.

Sehun: Alright.

 

 

+Seulgi's POV+

 

 

I was unpacking my stuff in my room when Irene Eonnie walked in.

Irene: That's a lot of clothes there.

Seulgi: I didn't realize that I crashed at your place for that long until I saw the amount of clothes I had to bring back down.

Irene: Ha-ha! It was nice having you all for me for three whole months. It felt like a slumber party every night. I am sure Sehun was thrilled about it too.

She sarcastically remarked.

Seulgi: Eonnie! Why are you talking like I'm not going to come back. I will be staying here for four days only.

Irene: Seulgi, I know you won't want to come back after staying with the girls for four whole days, so I am just making it easy for you. You miss them and they miss you. Plus, now that Jaebum is back, you guys will hopefully be able to have a real conversation and have some sort of a closure.

I sighed heavily before sitting down on my bed. Irene Eonnie walked to where I was and sat down next to me.

Seulgi: I am not sure if I want that closure yet.

Irene: What do you mean?

Seulgi: I mean... Am I really ready to face him and talk about all the things that happened to us? All those hurtful memories are still so fresh in my mind.

Irene: You will have to do it, eventually. And you have to do it in order for the both of you to let go of this story and move on.

Seulgi: But... what if I don't want to let go?

Irene: Seulgi... That's why the two of you need to talk, sooner or later. You both have to figure out what you really want.

Seulgi: I feel like if I talk about it right away, it will be over too soon. I feel so relieved to know that he is okay and also to know that he is this close to me. I don't want to spoil this moment.

Irene: Then get out there and talk to him! He is still your friend, isn't he? Go have a friendly conversation with him, ask him what he has been up to and how everything is going.

Seulgi: Do I just walk up to him and ask if he wants to talk?

I asked her. I was honestly nervous at the thought of walking up to him just to 'talk'. It seemed too hard of a task to do.

Irene: Kim Seulgi! I have never seen you this nervous before. Where's my too-cool-to-be-stressing sister? Ha-ha. Yes, just go up to him and smile first. It will be easier after that, trust me.

Seulgi: Alright... I am doing this right now.

I straightened my silver dress before walking to the door. When I opened it, I bumped into Sehun Oppa who was about to knock. He quickly held me, preventing me from falling backwards.

Sehun: Are you okay?

Seulgi: Yes. I have to go, Oppa! Your lady is in there, go ahead!

I heard him laugh behind me before I got to the living room. Junmyeon Oppa was talking with the boys, and they all turned to me when I walked in.

Junmyeon: Where is your sister?

Seulgi: With Sehun Oppa.

Junmyeon: Ah... Well, I'll be going back home now, I have a lot of work to do. Please tell her that I'll call her tomorrow morning.

Seulgi: I will.

Junmyeon: Ready to go, Sungjae?

Sungjae: Yes. Let's go. Goodnight everyone.

Jinyoung: See you tomorrow, Sungjae.

Wendy was sitting at the side sulking for some reason, and I wanted to ask her what was wrong, but before I could, Jaebum spoke to me.

Jaebum: Can we talk for a bit?

I was taken aback by the sudden question. Of course I came here to talk to him, but I wasn't expecting him to address to me first.

Seulgi: Yes, sure. Let's go to the balcony.

I could feel everyone looking at us while we walked away. I let him walk out first then I followed, closing the door behind me.

The night breeze was cold, but I liked it. It somehow helped me clear my mind and get me to relax during the minutes we stayed silent.

Jaebum: I really like your new hair.

I smiled to myself, knowing that he was trying to make the conversation with that comment.

Seulgi: Thank you. You look slimmer.

Jaebum: Yeah, that must be because of my job.

Seulgi: You have a job?

Jaebum: I used to, when I stayed in Daegu. I was there for two months, working on a construction site.

Seulgi: You? On a construction site? I wish I could have seen that.

Jaebum: Ha-ha... I know.

I chuckled a bit, but didn't say anything for a while.

Seulgi: I am happy to see you. I am glad to see that you are fine.

Jaebum: I am sorry for worrying all of you. I just... I didn't know how to come back after disappearing like that.

Seulgi: Why did you even leave?

Jaebum: I needed some time to myself. This situation with my family... I needed to get away from it.

Seulgi: Have you spoken to your parents lately?

Jaebum: I talk to my dad frequently. I haven't been back for that long, so I didn't get to see my brother yet.

Seulgi: Are you planning on seeing your mother?

I went straight to the point that he had been obviously trying to avoid. He chuckled and looked at me, so I did the same. This whole time we had been looking ahead and not at each other.

Jaebum: Don't worry, I am going to see my mother. And guess what, I am even going to talk to her.

He smirked before turning his gaze back to where he had been looking, just a few seconds before.

Seulgi: Have you... sorted things out with her?

Jaebum: It is my mother we're talking about, Seulgi. She is never going to admit that there's something we need to sort out. I haven't even heard her voice in three months.

Seulgi: I wish things would get better between the two of you.

Jaebum: I think they will. We no longer have a topic to argue about, so I guess things will be fine from now on. From her perspective at least.

Coincidentally, a breeze of cold air passed between us when he said that. I don't even know what else I had been expecting him to say.

Jaebum: I knew the minute I would leave, you wouldn't want to have anything to do with me anymore. I know you hate cowardice the most.

Seulgi: Jaebum, I-

Jaebum: I know, it's over. You almost never go back on a decision; I know it very well, don't worry. I didn't come here to bother you about that, but I just wanted to let you see that I am fine. I thought you must have been worried about me... I hoped you were.

Seulgi: I was. I am really happy to know that you are okay.

Jaebum: I am happy to see that you are doing fine too. At least now I am sure that you are happier without me.

I didn't say anything. I didn't like the way he talked, like he was closing the door to me. I know it sounds selfish knowing that I was the first one to do it, but I wanted him to tell me the complete opposite.

Jaebum: I am sorry for all the heartbreaks I caused you. You deserve to be happy.

Seulgi: Are you leaving again?

That was really the only thing I thought of asking at the moment. He chuckled a bit before shaking his head.

Jaebum: No, I am just being honest. I don't know when I will be able to talk to you like this again, so I want to say everything tonight.

Seulgi: We will see each other... We are still friends.

I forced myself to say, when all I wanted to do was tell him that I loved him. That was it, I admitted it to my heart: I still loved him. I don't think anyone would be have been surprised to know that.

Jaebum: I know. I meant that now that I have a regular job, it's going to be complicated to come over often.

Seulgi: Where do you work?

Jaebum: I work at a PR company. I am just an intern, but at least it's a good start.

Seulgi: That's really good, Jaebum. I am happy for you.

Jaebum: Thank you.

Someone opened the door, making us turn around to see who had interrupted our conversation.

Wendy: Eonnie, Irene Eonnie and Sehun Oppa are leaving.

Seulgi: Ah... We'll be there in a minute.

Wendy: Okay!

She left after flashing us a knowing smile.

Jaebum: Ha-ha. I missed your family.

Seulgi: You can have my younger sisters. I am tired of them.

Jaebum: You don't mean that even a bit. Ha-ha.

Seulgi: Ha-ha... Let's join them.

Jaebum: Let's go.

We smiled at each other one more time before walking back in the apartment. I had a bittersweet feeling about that talk. I didn't know what to really make out of it.

Irene: We are going to leave. I am a little tired.

Jaebum: We're leaving too. Are you ready, Jin?

Jinyoung: Eo. Let's go.

Seulgi: Have a safe trip back home. Eonnie, I'll see you tomorrow.

Irene: Eo! Have a good night girls. Take care of Yeri for me!

Seulgi: Arrasseo... Ah, yeah, Jun oppa said that he will call you tomorrow morning and left because he had some work to do.

Irene: Ah... Alright.

She looked at Sehun oppa who just smiled at her.

Sehun: Have a goodnight, girls.

Jaebum: I'll see you around.

Jaebum told me before smiling. I nodded my head while returning the smile.

Seulgi: Goodnight.

 

 

+Joy's POV+

 

 

I sat in a waiting room for hours alongside hundreds of hopefuls, waiting to pass one of the most important interviews of my life.

It was at SM Entertainment's building, one of the three biggest entertainment companies in South Korea.

None of my family members knew about this audition, because I didn't want anyone to worry for me or anyone to deter me from going through it.

For four months, my family had been asking me which university I wanted to join, and I had managed to gain some time with the excuse of looking for the best one where I would really fit in, but my father had been getting quite impatient.

What I really wanted to do was sing. They have always known my love for the scene, but I don't think they realized it really was my ultimate dream.

When they gave me those lessons as a graduation gift, it became even more important to me. That was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, and I wanted to start while I was still young.

I had already auditioned for JYP, Cube and Starship entertainment. I expected the responses in the coming days. Even though SM was not the style of company I was looking for, I felt like I had to try at least.

The one I really wanted to join was Starship. In my opinion, most of the best vocalists of the industry were from there. I wanted to be one of them.

No matter the company, my determination would not falter. I was going to make my dream come true.

"Hello"

Someone said next to me. I turned around to see who was talking and met eyes with a girl who looked around my age.

Joy: Hi!

"My name is Nayeon! I think I saw you a few days ago at another audition"

When I looked at her, she did seem familiar.

Joy: The JYP audition! I remember you!

Nayeon: Yeah! It's so good to see a familiar face. The audition process is so stressing.

Joy: I know right.

Nayeon: I am sorry if I come off as pushy for a first conversation. It's just that amongst all those people, you were the only one sitting alone... Like me.

Joy: Ah... Why are you alone?

Nayeon: My family doesn't approve of my dream. What a joke. Since when do people have to agree to someone's dream?

She breathed in and out, then turned to me.

Nayeon: Why isn't your family here?

Joy: They don't know I am auditioning.

Nayeon: Ah!

"Number 123"

Nayeon: Oh, that's me! Wish me luck!

She left before I could even say a word of encouragement, or a word at all. I chuckled at the funny personage. Thanks to her, I felt better and more relaxed.

Six auditions later, it was my turn to go in. I was faced with four people. None of them looked up when I walked in, but it didn't phase me. All auditions were the same anyway.

I did a quick introduction then sat in front of the piano and played a few notes to warm up. No one stopped me, so when I was done, I started singing one of my favorite songs. It was "Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart" by Alicia Keys.

After I finished the song, I looked up to check at the four people from earlier, but they all had their focus on their notebooks. I bowed and exited the room after they thanked me for auditioning for their company.

If I wasn't well aware or prepared for these auditions, I would have thought that they all went bad. Those professionals just don't let anything show.

Joy: I wonder if Nayeon's audition went well.

I said to myself while exiting the building. I almost had a heart attack when someone jumped in front of me, surprising me.

Nayeon: How was your audition?

Joy: Ah? Fine, I think. What are you still doing here?

Nayeon: I was waiting for you. I wanted to ask if your audition went well.

Joy: How was yours?

Nayeon: Don't really know. Do you you want to have lunch there?

She pointed at a dessert restaurant on the other side of the road.

Joy: Erm... sure!

Nayeon: The company I really want to join is JYP. If I don't get in it, I will feel so bad.

She said after we ordered our food.

Joy: Why JYP?

Nayeon: I don't really know... Ever since I was a kid, the day I decided to become a singer, JYP felt right for me. I just feel like it's where I belong.

Joy: I see.

Nayeon: What about you? Do you have a preference?

Joy: To get into Starship is my goal.

Nayeon: That's nice! I didn't ask you back there, but why didn't you tell your family about the audition?

Joy: Well... the entertainment world is a sort of taboo at home. We can like singers and be fans, but we cannot go beyond that fantasy.

Nayeon: I see. Something heavy must have happened for your family to be like that, I guess.

Joy: Do you always speak so freely?

Nayeon: Unfortunately, yes. Maybe it's because I grew up in France, or something. My mouth doesn't really have a filter.

Joy: You grew up in France?!

Nayeon: Born and raised there, but I've been living here with my grandmother for two years already. My family is still in France.

Joy: Wow! It must have been nice growing up in a beautiful country like that.

Nayeon: You are one of those dreamers, I see.

I smiled at the thought of walking in the streets of Paris. She was so lucky.

I was impressed as I looked at her stuff herself up with her food. To be able to eat so much was a skill for sure.

Nayeon: Well, I will be going home now. I don't want my grandmother to worry.

Joy: I'm going to head back too. Thank you for the meal.

Nayeon: Here is my number. Text me when you get the good news!

Joy: Ha-ha, okay. 

Nayeon: Well, it was nice talking to you! See you soon! Hopefully as trainees, but not in the same company!

Joy: Hopefully. See you around.

I was still smiling when I got home because I was imagining myself on stage in front of many fans, having the time of my life. One of those auditions had to work. I prayed for one of them to work.

Joy: I am home!

I made my way over to the lounge room, but no one was there so I went to the kitchen. Wendy Eonnie was sitting on the counter, while Seulgi Eonnie read something. When I walked in, they both looked at me, then Seulgi Eonnie talked.

Seulgi: Joy, what is this?

Joy: What?

Seulgi: Why does this letter from Cube entertainment is addressed to you?

Oh man.