Russian Roulette

Mr. Kim's Daughters

 

Irene, Sehun and Jacklin sat in the couple's living room, drinking together.

Irene was still shocked to see Jacklin in her home, after so long being away. She really wanted to understand what had happened in her friend's mind between Jamal's party and this moment.

Irene: Okay, tell us everything.

Irene told Jacklin, re-engaging the subject. She had come in very tired, but her curiosity stopped her from going to sleep before knowing every single detail.

Jacklin: Well. The day I had that intense conversation with the both of you, I really felt awful. I felt like the worst person on earth for hurting Jun like that.

Irene and Sehun looked at each other, feeling uncomfortable with the fact that their words had made her feel so bad.

Jacklin: You didn't do anything wrong, don't worry! You were right to be franc with me or else I would have never done what I did next!

Sehun: And what did you do?

Jacklin: I called Joy and asked her to help me with my plan.

Irene: Joy knew about this?!

Jacklin: Mm. I told her to keep it a secret tho.

Irene: See? I told you that Joy was being weird these days, but you told me that I was overthinking things!

Irene exclaimed, talking to Sehun.

Sehun: Well, I thought she was just nervous about her auditions' responses.

Jacklin: That was one of the reasons why I asked her specifically, to help me. First of, I knew that no one would have suspected her of anything of the sort, and everyone would have assumed that she was just nervous about her auditions.

Sehun nodded his head, admitting that it made a lot of sense.

Jacklin: The second reason was because I needed to use Sungjae too, without getting discovered by anyone. Since she is the closest to him, it just made sense. It had to look natural and apparently it did. I'm glad.

Irene: Why did you need to use Sungjae?

Jacklin: I needed to know Junmyeon's schedule, to be able to know when would be the best time to come back. I'm planning on waiting for him in his apartment tonight.

Sehun: What will you do?

Jacklin: I'll talk to him to resolve all of our problems. Or at least to start resolving them. I really hope we can make this work.

Sehun: And what if it doesn't?

Jacklin looked at Sehun before sighing.

Jacklin: Well then I'll be on the next flight back to Toronto. It's kind of a make or break situation.

Irene: I'm sure that it's going to work out. He really loves you.

Jacklin: Anyways, I'm back. And for good, hopefully.

Irene scooted closer to Jacklin on the sofa and side hugged her before smiling.

Irene: I'm happy to have you back!

Jacklin: I'm happy to be back!

She hugged Irene back. Suddenly Jacklin emitted a high shriek, signaling her shock.

Jacklin: Why are you so hot, Irene? Are you sick?

Jacklin asked immediately jumping closer to her friend. She touched Irene's forehead and compared it to hers, to check how feverish Irene was.

Jacklin: What's wrong?

Irene: I'm just having a little case of fatigue. It's nothing alarming, don't worry.

Sehun: Yet. If she doesn't get a lot rest, it could get a lot worse.

Jacklin: Irene! I told you to take care of yourself! I'll make dinner, so you can rest!

Irene: Oh my God, not you too! I already have mom 2.0 with me everyday!

Jacklin: I don't care. Go take a hot bath and come back for dinner. Sehun will help me, right?

She said, turning to her friend who was trying to leave without anyone noticing him. The girls laughed together, happy to have caught him in the act. Irene finally gave in and went to take a shower while Jacklin made dinner, with the help of her not-so-willing assistant, Oh Sehun.

Sehun: It's really nice to have you back, Lin.

Sehun said as they washed the ingredients together.

Irene: I'm happy to know that. I'm so sorry again, for being such a bad friend during these past months.

Sehun: Apologies accepted!

Sehun said, surprising Jacklin.

Sehun: What? You were expecting me to say that you haven't been a bad friend? We've already covered that, but since you're still being stubborn about it-

Jacklin: Yah!

She gently hit him on the the arm before laughing. She couldn't believe the guy.

Jacklin: Thank you.

Sehun: You're welcome.

Sehun replied with a smile.

Jacklin: I really hope Junmyeon will be willing to talk things out.

Sehun: He will.

Jacklin stared at Sehun as if asking how he could be so sure of it. Sehun chuckled before speaking again.

Sehun: We may not be hanging out together that much lately, but I still know him. He loves you so much that he was willing to let you go, if that meant that you would be happier.

He said before walking back towards the counter with the clean vegetables.

Sehun: I don't think he will ever stop loving you, Lin-ah. You are a big part of his life now, with all the things that have happened. You mean a lot to him.

He continued. He turned to his friend and put both his hands on her shoulders.

Sehun: That's why you should go to him with confidence. If you believe in your love, there's nothing that can stop you. Not his family, not the past, nothing. Do you hear me?

Jacklin sighed again. It looked like she had really wished to hear those words. She had wished for someone to tell her that it wasn't selfish to come back after so much time.

Jacklin: Thank you, Sehun. Really.

Sehun: You said the same thing a few minutes ago, Lin.

Jacklin: No, I didn't say Really, before. Ha-ha!

Sehun: Good one. Ha-ha!

 

 

+Joy's POV+

 

 

I was at the Kim's mansion with Sungjae and Junmyeon Oppa to have lunch with their parents. I did not know why Sungjae had insisted to bring me, but I was not necessarily looking forward to it.

Sungjae's mother is known for being quite harsh with her words, and I didn't want her to think that I was dating her youngest son and to hate me for no reason. Sungjae and I were just friends.

Mrs. Kim: You're here on time today, Sungjae. That's an upgrade!

I heard his mother say as she walked out of the kitchen. She looked up and smiled at us.

I was about to greet her when she stopped in her track and her eyes widened as if she had seen a ghost. Sungjae and I turned to look in the same direction as her, and it was only Junmyeon Oppa.

I managed to maintain my expression at the realization of the scene unfolding right before my eyes.

I had completely forgotten that Junmyeon Oppa had been distant with his family since Jacklin Eonnie left. I remembered Sungjae telling me that he only came home twice in five months and that even though he met their father for lunch from time to time, he always completely avoided their mother.

The shock and confusion on her face were two understandable and natural emotions. I felt like I was intruding in a serious mother and son situation, but there was no turning back at this point.

Mrs. Kim: Junmyeon...

Sungjae: Hyung wanted to come have lunch here today.

Sungjae said, probably trying to enlighten the mood. It was an understatement to say that it didn't work.

Junmyeon: I came because I need to talk to all of you. It's too bothersome to meet a person at a time.

Mrs. Kim: Ah... Come in.

Joy: Hello, Mrs. Kim.

Mrs. Kim: Ah, Joy. How are you?

Joy: I am good. Have you been well?

Mrs. Kim: Eo... Sungjae, take everyone to the dinning room. I am going to go get your father.

She left right after talking.

Sungjae: Hyung, come on!

Sungjae grabbed Junmyeon Oppa's arm and pulled him towards the dinning room. I followed them behind, with a smile on my face.

Even though he had been distant with a lot of us, the one he had been hanging out with again was his brother. I was happy to see them like that.

Being with them helped me carry my mission out for Jacklin. Nobody knew that she was back to Seoul, except for me.

My sister and Sehun Oppa must have met her while I was at the Kim's, since I had left her at their apartment.

Junmyeon Oppa, Sungjae and I waited for their parents without talking. I was too nervous to say anything. Junmyeon Oppa was busy with his phone and Sungjae looked like he was thinking about something else.

Mr. Kim: Hello! Woah, it feels good to see both my kids here! Jun, how are you?

Mr. Kim walked in with a huge smile on his face, showing how happy he was to see his sons.

Junmyeon Oppa looked away from his phone and I swore I could see a faint smile appearing on his face.

Junmyeon: I'm good.

Mr. Kim: Joy-ah! How are you?

Joy: I'm good, Mr. Kim! Thank you for having me.

Junmyeon: Appa, did you receive the fruits I sent to your office?

Mr. Kim: Eo! I ate them well, Adeul!

Mrs. Kim: Oh, so you sent those fruits to your father? For a minute I thought he had a secret admirer or something. Ha-ha!

Mrs. Kim came to sit at the table. Junmyeon Oppa fell silent again and just listened as his mother and Sungjae had a conversation.

Quickly enough, the food was served and we could start eating. Mrs. Kim tried to engage in a conversation with Junmyeon Oppa from time to time, but she could only get short answers out of him.

I knew and understood why he was being like that towards her, but it was honestly heartbreaking to see a mother try so hard to have a conversation with her son.

Mr. Kim: Jun, your mother told me that you came to tell us something.

Junmyeon: Mm?

Mr. Kim: What did you come to tell us?

Junmyeon: Well...

He said while he readjusted his position on the seat.

Junmyeon: I came to let you know that I had a promotion at work.

As soon as he said that, everyone around the table expressed their joy, including me.

Mr. Kim: Oh? Really? Chukkahae, Adeul!

Mrs. Kim: This is wonderful news! What are you going to do from now on?

Junmyeon: I am going to be in charge of all the legal affairs of not only most of the clients we work with, but also of some of our biggest shareholders. The responsibility is greater, but I like the challenge.

Sungjae: Woah! This is so cool, Hyung!

Mrs. Kim: We should celebrate the good news!

Junmyeon: I'm not done.

Mr. Kim: Oh, there is more?

Junmyeon: Most of our shareholders reside abroad, so I won't be able to represent them from Seoul. Mr. Oh and I have discussed it and I will be moving to Japan next month.

Mrs. Kim: What?!

Sungjae: Hyung!

Mr. Kim: Why so suddenly?

Junmyeon: It's not a decision that I have made without any consideration. I thought about it long enough, and for me it seems like the best move to make.

Mr. Kim: Why can't you work from here?

Junmyeon: Our biggest office is in Tokyo. It just makes sense for me to move there.

Sungjae: Hyung, why didn't you tell us sooner?

Junmyeon: It wasn't official so I couldn't talk about it.

I was honestly shocked at what he had just told us. Junmyeon Oppa had been such an outcast these past few months that none of us could have expected this to happen. He didn't seem to be that much into his job to be getting a promotion of any sort. At least that was what we all thought.

Sungjae: Hyung, what about the family? And your friends? Are you really willing to leave all of this behind?

Junmyeon: Yah, it's not like I'm moving to Jakarta, you punk! Japan is practically next door.

Mrs. Kim: What do you mean by that? We won't be able to see you as much anymore!

Junmyeon: Well, it's not like I was coming over that often anyway.

Mr. Kim: Junmyeon, please reconsider this.

Junmyeon: Appa, I am sorry but I've made my decision. I don't want anyone telling me to take back my words, because honestly I have no reason to.

He started.

Junmyeon: When my friends will want to see me, they will just have to take a flight to Japan. The same goes for you.

Joy: Oppa...

Junmyeon: It's not a sad thing. I really want to leave and get my life back together. The way I am living at the moment is everything but healthy, mentally speaking. I'm breathing, but I'm not living.

My heart crushed when he said that.

Junmyeon: I need to go and get my mind off of my life in Seoul.

Mrs. Kim: What is so wrong with your life here in Seoul?

Junmyeon: It's a life without Jacklin, but with all of her memories around me. I think that's enough of a reason.

He looked at his mother, not rudely nor offensively, but his eyes told so much more than he needed to say. They were tired, probably just as much as his heart and mind were.

Mrs. Kim: Are you still blaming me for what happened?

Junmyeon: No one is blaming anyone here. You asked a question and I just answered with all honesty.

Mrs. Kim: Junmyeon... I already told you how sorry I was for doing this to you and to someone else's child. I really don't want you to leave Seoul just to hurt me.

Junmyeon: It's not about that anymore. I'm no longer mad at you, I am doing this for myself. Not for or against anyone.

Mr. Kim: Do you really need to go to Japan for that? We can always let you do that here. We are willing to leave you alone for as long as you wish, if that means that you will stay in Seoul.

Sungjae: Hyung, if you want to heal from this wound, you should do it here. Surrounded by the love of your family.

Junmyeon Oppa chuckled bitterly before looking at his brother.

Junmyeon: That same love made me lose two of the most important persons in my life.

He simply said, shutting everyone down with a simple sentence.

Junmyeon: I was planning on finishing my meal before announcing it, but since it happened like that, I am sorry for disturbing your lunch time. I have to go back to the office now. Thank you for the food, and I will try to come back often.

He politely bowed at his parents and smiled at me before leaving.

Of course his parents' appetite was cut and they left the table soon after him, leaving a very confused Sungjae with me. Because I didn't want to intrude more than I already did, I told him that I would be leaving first.

As soon as I got home I got changed into more comfortable clothes, grabbed the letters that I had received and did not have time to read that morning, and went up to Irene Eonnie and Sehun Oppa's condo. I wanted to check on Jacklin Eonnie. I was surprised when Sehun Oppa opened the door for me.

Joy: Oppa? Already back from the doctor's?

I asked as I walked in.

Irene: Did you think that my doctor lived in Alaska or something? It took us two hours only.

Joy: What did he say?

Sehun: Extreme case of fatigue. She needs to rest.

Joy: Eonnie! You seriously need to rest.

Irene: Oh my God! You too?! Can I live?

Sehun: That's what we're all trying to help you achieve.

I scanned the room, looking for Jacklin Eonnie, but I couldn't find her.

Irene: Looking for your accomplice?

Joy: Mm?

Sehun: She is taking a shower. You fooled us all. Hands down.

Joy: I didn't mean to, I swear!

Irene: It's okay! You did the right thing, Joy-ah! Ha-ha!

I sighed in relief, happy to know that she wasn't mad at me for hiding it from her.

Sehun: Where were you? Seulgi told us that you weren't home, when we called earlier.

Joy: Ah yeah, I was with Sungjae. Did you need me for something?

Irene: We were just looking for Lin's secret agent.

Joy: Ah...

Was all I could say, making her laugh.

Joy: Sehun Oppa, why didn't you tell us about Junmyeon Oppa's promotion? The news completely shocked his family.

Sehun: What promotion?

Joy: Ah? You didn't know about it?

I asked him, confused.

Joy: Who was the Mr. Oh he was referring to then? Ah! Your father!

Irene: Joy, what are you saying?

Joy: Well, like I said, I was with Sungjae earlier. He invited over for lunch with his family, and Junmyeon Oppa came with us.

I explained the whole story and I could tell that they were as shocked as his family had been earlier.

Sehun: Why did my father make that decision about my friend without letting me know? I don't understand.

Joy: I really thought that you knew.

Irene: We didn't. Why Japan though? Why does he have to move away for a promotion?

Sehun: Well, what he said was true. Most of our shareholders reside in Japan and our biggest office is there. It does make sense.

Irene: I know, but why did he say yes? His life is here, in Seoul with all of us... I don't get it.

Joy: He said that a life in Seoul without Jacklin Eonnie was not something he wanted to keep doing. He wants to leave and start afresh.

Irene: Did he say that in front of his mother?!

Joy: Eo... I was really flustered, but he looked so sad. He really misses her a lot.

Jacklin: Joy...

We all looked behind us at the same time.

Jacklin: Did he really say that?

Joy: Ah... Eonnie, I didn't know you were done.

Jacklin: Did he really say that?

She repeated. I looked at her for a second before nodding my head faintly.

At that moment, a tear escaped from her eyes, surprising the three of us. But none of us moved.

Jacklin: You guys have to help me. I won't let him slip away this time.

She said, before smiling at us. She looked confident and I could see that she had found a new strength in the words I had just said.

I was happy about that.