Good Enough

Mr. Kim's Daughters

 

 

+Joy's POV+

 

 

I was trapped. What was I supposed to say to them? Did I need to lie?

The envelope was open, so I didn't have that much of a choice there. They already knew what it was about.

Seulgi: What is this about?

She repeated, seemingly frustrated. 

Joy: Huh... It's a letter from an entertainment company.

Seulgi: Joy, I know what it is. What I am really asking is why did they send you a letter?

Joy: I... I auditioned for their company.

I said almost in a whisper.

Seulgi: Joy, can you speak up please? I didn't hear what you said.

Seulgi Eonnie was getting impatient and the more I tried to stall, the more she looked irritated.

Joy: I auditioned for Cube entertainment.

Wendy: Joy! When?

Joy: A... A few weeks ago. I was going to tell you about it, I swear!

Seulgi: When? When you'd sign a contract?

Seulgi Eonnie was pissed. It rarely happened but when it did, it was scary.

Seulgi: This is not how our family works, Joy. Why didn't you tell us about it?

Joy: I... I was scared, okay?

Seulgi: Scared of what, for God's sake?

Joy: Of this kind of reactions! I didn't want to add to my already huge amount of stress, by arguing with my family!

Seulgi: Oh, come on!

Wendy: Joy y-

Joy: Don't say that it would have been different if I came to see you, because that's not true! You would have gotten mad at me just like right now!

I strongly said. I wasn't going to let them ruin this for me. No, I wasn't.

Yeri: What's wrong?

Yeri asked, walking into the room with a bag of groceries.

Joy: All I wanted was to be able to do what I love without feeling guilty about it. Is that so bad?

I said in a whisper. My eyes were filled with tears threatening to come out sooner than later.

Irene: What's going on here?

Irene Eonnie asked when she walked in, following after Yeri. I looked away from Seulgi and Wendy Eonnies, then turned around to leave.

Irene: Joy!

Irene Eonnie tried calling me but I didn't want to stop. I needed to get away from there. I wasn't ready to have this conversation at all. I didn't need them to tell me that they would never let me become what destroyed our family in the first place. I didn't need them to make me feel more guilty than I already did.

I walked around our neighborhood, with nowhere to go. I took my phone out to check if I had some missed calls, but they were all from Irene Eonnie and I didn't feel like talking to any of my sisters.

I walked to a park not too far from our apartment complex and sat on a bench.

I looked at my contacts list to see who I could call to keep me company for a while, but they were all boyfriends or best friends of my sisters, so if I had called any of them it would have meant giving away my moment of peace.

Joy: Don't I really have any friends of my own?

I said to myself, still searching for a useful contact in my repertory. I stopped for a minute after I saw one name.

Joy: I miss you Lin Eonnie...

I stared at her name for a while. It not being able to see her or talk to her. We did not even know if she was doing fine. Everything had changed so fast.

"Joy?"

I almost had a heart attack when I heard my name being called out of nowhere. I sighed of relief when I saw who it was.

Joy: Nayeon? What are you doing here?

Nayeon: I live close by! I went out to buy some cheese for my grandma! What are you doing here?

Joy: I don't live too far from here either.

Nayeon: Wow! What a coincidence! This is fate, girl!

I chuckled when she jumped twice, out of excitement.

Nayeon: What are you doing here then? Weren't you supposed to go home?

Joy: I did. I just went out for a walk.

Nayeon: Ah... Are you going to go home now?

Joy: No, I just got out.

Nayeon: You know what? Come to my place! My grandma cooked tons of food, but we're never going to finish all of it alone.

Joy: Ah... Thank you, but no thanks. I don't want to bother anyone. I'm just going to stay here for a bit then go home.

Nayeon: Non sense! You're not going to bother anyone, plus my grandma will be happy to see that I made some friends here in Korea. After two years.

She giggled to herself. Okay, this girl was seriously creepy. They must have been at least three in her head.

Nayeon: Come on, she's waiting for me!

She made me stand up and pulled me in the direction of her apartment complex. It was the one right across the street from ours. It was the "chaebol complex" like my sisters and I liked call it.

Joy: You live in the 'Chaebol Complex'?

I asked her too quickly to realize what I was doing. I covered my mouth with my hand, feeling embarrassed.

Nayeon: Is that how people call it nowadays? It's an upgrade! Ha-ha!

We waited for the elevator together.

Joy: I'm so sorry for saying that.

Nayeon: Ha-ha, don't worry! I don't mind at all. In fact that's the nicest name people have qualified our complex and all of its tenants of. We went from "Spoiled Chicks barn" to "Dirty money & people complex". People don't really like it for some reason.

Joy: I think it's jealousy or envy. We all wish to live in this luxurious building. It seems so unapproachable from the outside.

Nayeon: Trust me, it really is. So boring.

We walked over to an apartment and stopped in front of a door. She looked for something in her bag and took her set of keys out.

Nayeon: Halmi, I'm here! I got the cheese.

She screamed as we walked in.

"What took you so long?"

Nayeon: I met one of my friends on the way! She is here with me!

"Friend? What friend?"

The same voice asked again, this time walking out of a room. Her eyes lit up when she saw me.

"Omo! You're one of Yeonnie's friends? It's so good to see one of them for the first time!"

Joy: Nice to meet you, madam. My name is Joy.

"Call me Halmi Im! Come on in!"

Nayeon chuckled and shook her head in disbelief. She winked at me and made her way over to another room, leaving me standing there with her grandmother.

Halmi Im: Come on, have a seat.

She offered when we got to the living room.

Halmi Im: I'm sorry if I come off as pushy, but it just feels great to see one of Yeon's friends in real life! It really is the first time. I thought she didn't have friends because of how weird she is sometimes.

Nayeon: Halmi! I'm not weird!

I chuckled at the fact that Nayeon had apologized for the same thing no later than that morning. They really are family.

Halmi Im: Sure. Joy, just make yourself at home. I'm going to finish cooking.

And with that said she left.

Nayeon: I'm sorry about that.

Joy: You're exactly like your grandmother. A social butterfly.

Nayeon: Are you really talking about me? Im Nayeon? The queen of having no friends, Im Nayeon? No, stop.

Joy: You really are! I thought I was hyper but I've known you for what, six hours, and I'm already sitting in your living room with your grandma cooking for us in the kitchen. Like really.

Nayeon: Well if you put it that way...

We laughed together at the crazy realization. I looked around their living room and I was shocked by how simple everything looked. It was the complete opposite of what this building inspired to people. It was simply beautiful.

Nayeon: Shocked to see simple furniture? There's no diamond clock hanging on the wall, or any butler to serve us.

Joy: I'm sorry.

Nayeon: I'm joking! Ha-ha! Relax, Joy! By the way, what were you doing alone in that park?

Joy: Ah...

Nayeon: It's okay if you don't want to talk about it. I totally understand.

Joy: No, it's okay. I had an argument with my sisters... well, not really. I just got upset and stormed out of the house.

Nayeon: What? Like, for no reason?

Joy: I had a reason... They found out about me auditioning for entertainment companies.

Nayeon: Oh! Not good. What did they say?

Joy: That I should have told them about it.

Nayeon: And?

Joy: Huh?... That's all they said.

Nayeon: Really? And you stormed out for that? I mean, don't get me wrong, I love me some class act walking out scene.

She flipped her hair like a diva. I chuckled a bit.

Nayeon: However, you didn't need to get all up in your feelings for that. I mean, it's true that you could have told them about it.

Joy: I know but they would have stopped me from doing it. I didn't want that to happen.

Nayeon: Were they mad at you for auditioning or for not telling them?

Joy: I think... I think it's the latter.

Nayeon: Mm... Maybe they just wanted to know.

I thought about it for a moment and realized that maybe she was right. I didn't give them the time to say what they wanted to tell me.

Nayeon: How did they even find out?

Nayeon asked, stopping my train of thoughts.

Joy: I got a letter from Cube. My sister probably collected the mail today and found it.

Nayeon: Oh my God, already? What did it say?

Joy: Huh? Oh my God, I don't even know!

 

 


+Irene's POV+

 

 

Irene: You shouldn't have asked her that way. Of course she would feel attacked.

Seulgi: All I was upset about was the fact that she didn't tell any of us.

Wendy: At least if one of us knew, we could have supported her. She must have been worried about her auditions and trying to hide it from us.

Yeri: I sort of knew about it.

We all turned to Yeri.

Irene: What do you mean?

Yeri: We share a room so there's not much she can hide from me. One day I found her rehearsing in the room and when she saw me she threw all the partitions under her bed.

Wendy: What for? It could have just been for her singing lessons.

Yeri: Exactly. That's why I didn't understand why she was trying to hide them. Then later that night while looking for my shoes, I found a completed audition form for JYP.

Seulgi: So she auditioned for other companies too?

Irene: Seulgi, that's not the point right now. She didn't tell us about it because she was afraid of our reactions. That's bad enough for me. It means that we made her think that her dream was a problem.

I checked my phone to see if she had tried to call me back but there was nothing.

Irene: I hope she is fine.

I put my phone away and looked at my sisters.

Irene: Let's cook dinner.

Wendy: I got to go!

Irene: Where?

Wendy: Mm... I am meeting a friend. For a school project.

Seulgi: Who?

Wendy: You don't know her. Don't wait for me, I'll be home late! I'll see you later!

Irene: Wendy!

By the time I realized what was happening, she was already out the door.

Irene: Why does everyone leave even when I call their names!

Yeri: Ha-ha, Eonnie, let's go cook together.

Irene: I only have my princess!

I side hugged her before looking at Seulgi. She seemed to be worried about Joy, so I patted her shoulder and smiled at her. After we finished cooking dinner, we set the table and sat around it.

Irene: Well, I guess it's just the four of us. We will wait for Joy a little bit longer.

Yeri: I am starving... where are you, Joy Eonnie...

Seulgi: Don't you want to try to call her again? It's been three hours already.

Irene: Yeri, please give me my phone. It's on the kitchen counter.

When I was about to dial her phone number, someone started opening the door.

Joy: Hi.

Joy walked in and greeted us before excusing herself to her bedroom. I stood up and followed her after telling the girls to start eating.

Irene: Are you okay?

I asked her after closing the door behind me.

Joy: Eo. I am sorry for storming out on you earlier.

Irene: It's okay, I understand. Do you want to talk about it?

Joy: Are you mad at me too?

Irene: Not at all! Nobody is mad at you, baby. What Seulgi was upset about was the fact that you did not tell any of us. She wanted to be able to support your dream.

Joy: I was just scared. I didn't want to disappoint any of you.

Irene: By doing what? By following your dreams? There's nothing that could make us prouder, Joy!

Joy: It's such a taboo here because of our mother. I didn't want to remind you all of those ugly memories.

Irene: Listen to me... What happened to us could have happened to anyone, and dad's wife could have had other dreams; she could have left with someone with a completely different profession too. All of those things are pure coincidences, and it doesn't mean that you're like her.

Joy: Eonnie... I was afraid because if you had told me that I shouldn't do it, I would have listened to you. I will never give up on my family for a dream. My happiness is being here with my sisters and Appa.

Irene: I know that, and you don't have to feel bad about having a dream. We're always going to support you a hundred percent. Okay?

She nodded her head before walking over to me to give me a hug.

Irene: Aigo, what is an eighteen year old crying about now? Ha-ha. We love you, Joy-yah!

Joy: I love you too.

Irene: Come on.

We walked back to the dinning room.

Irene: Why didn't you start eating?

Yeri: We were waiting for you two.

Joy: I already had dinner at a friend's house.

Irene: Which friend?

Joy: Erm... she is a new friend.

Yeri: Did you meet her at an audition?

Yeri asked, suddenly excited.

Joy: Yeah. She lives in the building across the street.

Yeri: She lives in the 'Chaebol Complex'?!

Joy: Yes! Her name is Nayeon, and she is so nice! We were so wrong about the people living there! 

Yeri: Woaaaahhhh! You're so lucky, Eonnie!

Irene: When did you meet her?

Joy: A few days ago at the JYP audition.

Irene: How did they go? Your auditions!

Joy: Good... The one I really want to succeed is with Starship entertainment.

Seulgi suddenly stood up and left for the kitchen, surprising all of us. Joy's face became grim again and she looked down at her hands.

Irene: It's okay.

I told her with a smile, trying to reassure her. Seulgi came back after a few seconds, holding something.

Seulgi: You didn't get to read your letter. Here.

She said, handing an envelope to Joy.

Joy: Thank you.

I warmly smiled at Seulgi before turning back to Joy.

Irene: So? What does it say?

I asked Joy after a few minutes. She closed the letter and heavily sighed before looking at me. We were all holding our breaths and waiting for her to say something.

Joy: It didn't work out.

I looked at Joy and she seemed to take it pretty well.

Seulgi: It will work out for Starship, you'll see!

Yeri: Yeah, they just missed out on a great artist!

Joy: Ha-ha. Thank you. I am happy to be able to talk about it with you girls.

Irene: Always!

Joy: Where is Wendy Eonnie?

Yeri: She had a date!

Joy: A date?! With who?

Seulgi: It's not a date. She had to meet with a friend for a school project.

Joy: Eonnie... it's the summer vacation. School is over.

Irene: Not for all the universities. Some extended the classes because of all the strikes that happened during the school year. Maybe her university is one of those.

Joy: I don't think so. She told us a few days ago that she was done. Right, Yeri?

Yeri: Yep! That's why I've been telling you that she must be on a date.

Irene: With who though?

Joy: Jinyoung Oppa?

Yeri: Omo! That would be so nice!

Irene: You girls! Ha-ha.

We finished eating while Joy told us everything about her auditions and her new friend Nayeon. After we washed the dishes, we gathered in the living room to watch a movie.

Seulgi: What should we watch?

The doorbell rang interrupting our conversation, so Yeri went to open.

Yeri: Oppa? What are you doing here?

Irene: Who is it?

Yeri: Jinyoung Oppa.

Seulgi: Oh? Aren't you supposed to be on a date with Wendy?

Jinyoung: Me? Is she on a date?

Irene: Well, we thought so. Aren't you the one she went to meet?

Joy: Well, apparently not.

Jinyoung: Did she say she was going to meet a friend to work on a project?

Seulgi: Yeah... Do you know something?

Jinyoung: Huh... I got to go.

Irene: Jinyoung!

Like everyone else before him, he didn't stop when I called his name.

Irene: I don't even know why I try!

 

 

+Wendy's POV+

 

 

Hyun: Oh, look who's here! Innocent Wendy!

Wendy: Hi guys!

Yoon: What took you so long?

Wendy: I had to stop to buy your cigarettes.

Hyun: Hand it over.

I took the pack out from my bag and handed it over to him.

Hyuna: Why did you ask her to come again?

Hyun: Shut up, Hyuna.

Hyuna: You shut up!

Hyun: Sit down, Wendy. You're getting on my nerves by standing in front of me.

I immediately ran to the nearest seat and plopped myself onto it. We were at a park near Dongdaemun. I lied to my sisters because if they knew the people I was going to meet, they would have killed me.

I had been spending some time with the cool kids of my school for over a month. They may sound dangerous or rebellious to some, but they were also nice. Sometimes.

Hyun was the leader of the trio, at least in appearance. He was known for throwing unnecessary tantrums here and there, but also for being a very loyal friend. Plus, he was very good looking.

Hyuna was the real leader of the group. She was a tough girl, who knew what she wanted in life. She was the type of girl that men liked: she had the looks, the attitude, and she was anything but innocent.

Yoon was the reason why I 'joined' the group. I had known him for a year, and he had been nothing but nice to me. I felt like we had a sort of connection.

People were afraid to talk to them, but I didn't want to be like everyone else. They were surprisingly very welcoming to me, and since then I felt like a part of the group.

Hyun: I lost my phone charger yesterday and my brother refuses to lend me some money to buy another one.

Hyuna: Find a job, then.

Hyun: Shut up, Hyuna.

Yoon: Why don't Wendy lend you some money? You have a job right?

Wendy: Huh? Yes, but-

Hyun: Don't you want to help a friend out? Are you that kind of girl?

Wendy: No, but-

Hyuna: I will lend you the money, dummy!

Hyun: Thanks, dude.

Hyuna: I'm not a dude, stupid!

Hyun took his Bluetooth speakers out from a bag and connected them to his phone. He started blasting music super loud as I kept looking around to make sure that no one was there to be bothered.

I really hated when he did that. He acted like a jerk.

Hyun: Wendy. Would you like to smoke?

He asked, handing me a cigarette.

Hyuna: Stop it, Hyun!

Hyun: What?! She is a big girl, let her decide!

Wendy: No thanks.

Hyun: Such an innocent chick.

Yoon chuckled before shaking his head. I suddenly felt embarrassed for refusing.

Wendy: Give it to me.

Hyun: What?

Wendy: A cigarette. Give me a cigarette.

He smirked before lighting a new cigarette and handing it to me. I didn't want to think it too much because I knew my conscience was going to stop me from doing it if I did.

When I was about to put it in my mouth, someone slapped it away from my hand. I looked up to see who did that, and I was shocked to see a panting and very upset Jinyoung in front of me.

Wendy: What are you doing here?

Jinyoung: I should ask you the same thing. Come on, let's go.

He pulled me up, then started walking away, not minding my refusal screams.

Wendy: Let go of me!

Jinyoung: Are you stupid?! Why are you hanging out with these people?

Wendy: I can hang out with whoever I want! There's nothing wrong with them!

Jinyoung: There's obviously something wrong when you feel the need to hide it from your sisters!

Wendy: Listen to me, Jinyoung! I'm warning you! If any of my sisters ever hear about this, you're dead!

Jinyoung: You should go home now.

Wendy: Hell to the no! I'm going back there!

Jinyoung: Wendy!

Wendy: Goodbye, Jinyoung!

With that said, I ran back to the park to join my friends.

 

 

+Seulgi's POV+

 

 

It was three in the morning and my phone kept ringing next to me, waking me up. I turned around and looked at the screen. It was an unknown number.

Seulgi: Hello?

"Eonnie... Please help me..."

Seulgi: Wendy? Where are you? Why are you crying?

Wendy: Eonnie... I'm at the police station.

Seulgi: Mwo?!