Listen

Mr. Kim's Daughters

 

+Sehun's POV+

 

Irene was sleeping next to me on the passenger seat as we drove back to Seoul. We had spent two days on the road going to Daegu yesterday morning and coming back today.

She wasn't able to properly sleep lately because she had a lot on her mind, and she couldn't share everything with her family.

Their mother contacted her a few days ago. After ten years, she reappeared and reached out to her saying that she was now in Daegu, and that she wanted to see the girls. Irene rejected her messages at first, but after talking it out with me, she decided to meet her.

Everyone thought we were spending time together going on dates, but the truth is, whenever we were together we would search on the Internet for informations about her mother. We were both wondering why she decided to contact them after ten years, and precisely why now.

The few things we found were related to the scandal from ten years ago, so we didn't learn anything new. Irene and I decided to arrange a meeting on Saturday evening, and that's why she didn't go home yesterday.

I looked at my girlfriend's frowning face. She must have been having a bad dream. The meeting was catastrophic. I had never been in such an uncomfortable situation before.

 

+Flashback+

 

We walked in the fish restaurant indicated in the text message and looked around for a familiar face.

Sehun: Do you think she's here? I won't be able to recognize her. It's been ten years after all.

Irene: Don't worry. I will always recognize her.

I looked at Irene and saw her staring at something, so I followed her gaze. A woman was sitting at a table in the far corner of the restaurant, sipping on a drink. There was a bottle of alcohol next to her.

I looked back at Irene and she slightly nodded her head before walking in the direction of the table. When we approached, the woman looked up and immediately stood up. They stared at each other but I couldn't tell if they were angry, hurt or sad. My guess is that it was a mixture of the three feelings.

Mother: Juhyeon...

Irene couldn't stop staring at her. I wanted to be able to read her mind at that particular moment. Maybe I could have helped her release the pain she was feeling.

Sehun: Let's seat down.

I sat down and pulled Irene next to me. Her mother quietly sat down too before asking me.

Mother: Ahem... May I ask you who you are?

Sehun: I am Oh Sehun, Ahjumonim.

Mother: Oh? Juhyeon's childhood friend? It's nice to see you again! I'm happy to see that you stayed by her side all this time.

Irene: Why did you come back and why did you contact me?

I was shocked at the sudden question but it made sense to ask it anyway. I just didn't expect her to ask it that way and this soon. I turned my attention back to her mother and saw her face become paler.

Mother: I've been living in Daegu for a year now. I heard you were getting married to a famous business man! It was everywhere in the news paper. I was so hap-

Irene: Ah, now I get it! You thought you could contact me now that I was getting married to a rich man, right? You thought I would be welcoming you with open arms, since I got to marry someone with money right? You thought I wouldn't resent you anymore, right?

Mother: Ah... Ani! I just wanted to see you and-

Irene: Why did you need to contact me? What made you think you had that right?

Mother: Wae? Can't I contact my daughter whenever I want to?

Irene: Your daughter? You've lost the right to call any of us your daughter, the day you left without looking back.

Mother: Juhyeon! I'm still your mother! You and your sisters owe me life!

Irene: And that's about the only thing we owe you, so don't ever think you have a place in our lives.

Mother: You father would be-

Irene: Don't you dare talk about him! You don't know him, you don't deserve to mention him!

Sehun: Irene, calm down. Let's talk calmly.

Irene: I came here to tell you this. Don't ever try to contact me or anyone from my family. I'll never let you get close to us. I hope this is the last time we see each other.

She stood up and left the restaurant. I stood up, ready to follow her but her mother stopped me by the arm.

Mother: What made her so hateful? My daughter wasn't like that. How did she manage to get a husband with that attitude?

How could she ask such an unsensitive question? She screwed her daughter over by leaving, and now she was asking why she became so hateful? I felt the anger building up, so I politely pulled my arm out of her hand.

Sehun: You've hurt them all enough. I'm begging you... please don't come looking for them anymore. I don't think they're ready for this. I'm sorry.

I ran out of the restaurant, looking for Irene, but she was waiting for me in front of my car. I opened it and she jumped inside without saying a word. I knew she wasn't ready to discuss it so I didn't say anything.

 

+Present+

 

We rented two rooms in a motel in Daegu and stayed for the night. Seeing her sleep like that showed that she wasn't able to sleep the previous night either. I stopped for a second and put my coat on her legs before caressing her face. She looked so fragile.

Our phones were out of battery, so we couldn't contact anybody. We got to Seoul by 7pm and I drove her to her place.

Sehun: Irene... We're there. Let's go.

She opened her eyes then rubbed them quickly before waking up completely.

Irene: Let's not talk about what happened. Let's say that we went to Daegu for the day and we did not want to drive back at night.

I nodded my head and got out of the car. I held her hand as we silently walked up to their apartment. She typed the passeword and we got in. Everyone was gathered in the living room watching a movie.

A young man was here, but I didn't know him. He was next to Seulgi so I assumed he was Jaebum. I'm finally able to put a face on the name.

Appa: Oh! Juhyeon, wasseo?

Irene: Nae, Appa... I'm sorry for not contacting you yesterday. My phone was out of battery so I couldn't call.

Appa: It's okay. How are you Sehun-ah?

Sehun: I'm good Ahjussi. I'm sorry, I took her to Daegu for the day, and we didn't want to drive back at night.

Appa: Daegu? Ah... I hope you had fun.

Yeri: Eonnie, I missed you yesterday!

Irene: Ha-ha, did you really miss me or my cooking?

Yeri: Well... it's the same thing right? He-he.

Seulgi: Hm... Oppa, can I ask you something in private please?

She said to me. I looked at Irene to see if she knew what it was about, but she shrugged her shoulders. We went on the balcony and she closed the door behind us.

Seulgi: Oppa, I have a favor to ask you... I know it's on a short notice, but I really don't have no other solution.

Sehun: You're starting to scare me... What is it?

Seulgi: You see, my boyfriend...was asked to leave his house because of me. None of his friends are able to take him in because of their parents, so I thought maybe you could do me that favor. It's just for a few days, Oppa, I promise!

Sehun: Ha-ha. I really thought it was more serious than that. Of course I can take him in. Don't worry!

Seulgi: Thank you Oppa! You're awesome!

We went back inside and she told Jaebum that he could stay at my place, but it was a surprise to everyone else. I guess they didn't know about the situation.

Appa: Why can't Jaebum go back to his house? What happened?

Seulgi looked uncomfortable. She looked at me, then at Irene, but we really didn't know what to say. We didn't know the situation either.

Appa: Seulgi... what happened today?

Jaebum: My mother was upset and asked me to leave the house.

Irene: Mwo? Wae?

Seulgi: She was mad at me and she just took it out on Jaebum. It's nothing serious.

Jaebum: Stop saying that, Sseul. It's serious this time. Let's tell them now.

Seulgi: Jaeb-

Jaebum: We're engaged.

Appa & Irene: Mwo?!

Wendy: You...are engaged?!

Everyone stayed still for a very long and very uncomfortable minute. Irene and her dad were looking at Seulgi with expressions of surprise and shock, while Wendy had her hand over , trying to maintain hers.

Joy: Omo, eonnie that's awesome! Chukkahae!

Joy and Yeri ran to hug Seulgi, who had been looking at the floor, all this time. Their dad stood up from the couch and walked over to her too. He looked at her for a second, before pulling her into a tight hug.

Appa: It's okay... it's not your fault. What is happening to you is a good thing, so don't feel too bad about it and don't ruin your happy moment for yourself. Chukkahae, nae ttal.

Seulgi held him back and slightly nodded her head. She looked like she was about to cry, but she was holding the tears. All the girls joined in the hug, while Jaebum and I looked from the side.

Mr. Kim then turned to Jaebum and opened his arms to hug him, officially welcoming him into the family.

Appa: Thank you for loving my daughter so much. I'll go see your family and try to discuss the situation with them. Stay with Sehun for the time being.

Jaebum: Dae! Kamshamnida!

Irene came next to me and I playfully pinched her cheek, because she was crying. I knew she was crying for more than this, but I didn't want to talk about it in front of her family. It pained me to see her fight with all the feelings she kept inside.

Appa: Aigo! Juhyeon-ie is so sentimental. Ha-ha.

They all laughed at her and she joined in too. Soon, it was time for us to leave. Once we were in the car, Jaebum started to ease up a little bit. He sighed heavily and ran a hand at the back of his neck, swipping his sweat. I laughed at the gesture.

Sehun: You were that nervous? Ha-ha!

Jaebum: Hyungnim, I don't even know how I managed to say it.

Sehun: That's what they call adrenaline! Ha-ha. You were right to say it now. It's good for her family to know. Charaesseoyeo.

Jaebum: Thank you. Hyungnim, what do you think of our situation, honestly? Do you think we're wrong to fight for our love this way?

Sehun: Mm... I think if you decided to fight for your love this way, it's because you've already tried everything else, and it didn't work. I know Seulgi, she's a really sensible person. She wouldn't have said yes when you proposed if she thought there was another chance to change your mother's mind, right now. I think you both just have to be patient.

Jaebum: She said no at first. I guess she realized that my mother's heart wouldn't change so easily and decided to help me out a little bit. I know her too well. She probably felt like she had to show me that we are in this together, even though she was completely frightened by the idea of facing my mother.

Sehun: I don't know where those girls get their strength from. I'm so impressed everytime I watch them going through hardships, and to see how they manage to get it right without hurting the people around them.

Jaebum: Their dad raised them well. No wonder he is their hero.

He looked in front of him, then at me, before smiling. We stayed silent for the rest of the ride.

 

+Irene's POV+

 

I had to go back to work today, and I was honestly not ready. I didn't know how they were going to be with me. A woman who left her soon to be husband at the altar and ran away, humilating him and his name.

When I arrived, I immediately walked to the back. Junyeong and Junho were there, talking.

Junyeong: Omo! Who's this? Miss Irene! It's been a while!

She hugged me and smiled at me.

Junho: Thank God you came back. Being with Junyeong all day long is seriously exhausting! I see her at work, I see her at home, I even sleep in the same bed as her!

Junyeong: Yah! I should be the one fed up with you!

Irene: Ha-ha! I missed this! I missed everything!

Minhyuk: You're back. Hurry up and get changed! It's not a tea saloon, it's a restaurant! Get to work.

He walked out after doing his usual nagging. I was so glad none of them brought the "marriage" subject, up.

Junho: Did you really miss that? Ha-ha!

We laughed and got to work. The day was calm. I felt like nothing was weird in my life, for a day at least. I was glad I had a chance to escape all the stress, but it was scary that it only happened when I went to work.

I finished my day and gathered my stuff, ready to go home. My sisters said they would be a little late that day, so I wasn't expecting them to come and entertain the last clients.

Minhyuk: Let's close now. Everyone out!

Junyeong: You're sure you don't want me to wait with you?

Irene: No, it's okay, don't worry. They will be here any minute now. You guys have a kid waiting for you at home! Go home!

Junyeong: Alright! See you tomorrow!

Junho: See you tomorrow, Irene!

They left while I waited for my sisters in front of the restaurant. I played on my phone, to pass the time, when Sehun called me.

Irene: Yeobeoseyo!

Sehun: How are you doing, Princess Kim?

Irene: Oh, you wanted to speak to Kim Yeri? Hold on, she'll be here in a minute!

Sehun: Yah! Let me be romantic! Where are you?

Irene: Ha-ha! I'm waiting for the girls to pick me up.

Sehun: Alright... I was going to bed, but I wanted to wish you a good night.

Irene: Arrasseo... Jalja aegi-ya! Ha-ha.

Sehun: Omo, Kim Irene-ssi, what is happening to you?

Irene: Oh, so you don't want me to be cute? Arrasseo!

Sehun: like everything you do, pabo! Next time, say it in front of me!

Irene: Ha-ha! Alright. Now go to bed. Goodnight!

Sehun: Hm... Goodnight.

I hung up and laughed at how cheesy we had become.

"What a nice smile you have on there. It's a shame I never got to see it"

This voice... God, please no... I looked up to see the person in front of me.

Mr. Park: Long time no see, Irene-ssi.

---------------------------------------------