We Meet Again

Mr. Kim's Daughters

 

+Irene's POV+

 

Joy's graduation was three weeks away and we still did not find buy her present, but none of us had managed to come up with a good idea.

It was so much easier for Seulgi and Wendy since everyone knew what they liked: Sports and books.

Joy on the other hand has always been a people's pleaser, so it was hard to figure out what she really liked and disliked. She usually just accepts everything, because it is less pressuring like that.

At least, Seul and I managed to gather enough money to invite some of her friends over for dinner and have some quality food. It was one thing that we could cross from the list.

Minhyuk: Irene, it's the restaurant is full today, so go help Junyeong and Junho over there. I'll cook! Ppalli!

I took the cooking apron off and went to the other side. The room was packed with people. I don't really get why this restaurant is so popular, to be honest. Apart from the quality service, our cooking is pretty average.

"Oh, there she is! The pretty chef!"

People started saying as I walked in.

A few months ago I started feeling quite shy while working on this side, because I realized that most of our usual clients started to recognize me because of my sisters. That's why I usually prefer working behind. These girls, really!

I put on my nicest smile and started taking people's orders. Things were pretty hectic and as soon as one customer was out, two or three walked in.

At about 8.30pm, people started leaving and I was relieved because we wouldn't have to delay our closing hour like we all thought we would have to do.

The few remaining customers were probably waiting for us to tell them that it was time to close, because they weren't ordering anything anymore. Plus they were mostly familiar faces, so we did not mind.

I just watched them laughing and enjoying themselves and it made me think of my own family.

Talking about that, I started wondering where my sisters were. They should have been here by now.

I took out my phone and texted Seul, to ask about their whereabouts when someone walked in the restaurant.

Irene: Hello. Chaesohamnida but we'll be closed in twenty minutes.

I said without looking up from my phone because I was worried about my sisters, and I was waiting for one of them to text or call. The customer bumped into me and made me drop my phone on the floor.

Irene: Ah! My phone!

I quickly kneeled down to see if it was okay, but the screen was cracked a little bit on the side.

Irene: Aish, Chincha! I didn't even finish paying for it yet!

"Then you should have watched your steps"

Someone told me. I realized that the customer was a man so I looked up, ready to tell him off but when I did, I couldn't speak.

He looked very scary, being so serious. He was so imposing.

"Is it how you treat customers around here?"

Minhyuk: Oh no, not at all! Come in, we'll take your order! Irene, stand up and take his order now!

I was still angry and couldn't understand why Minhyuk oppa had to interfere. It's not like I was being rude or anything. And I could handle this on my own.

We were supposed to be closed soon and he was the one who told me to stay at the door to inform incoming customers. I did not decide anything.

I went to the table and took out my notebook, ready to take the order but the rude man stayed silent, looking at me.

Irene: Aren't you going to order, sir?

"Aren't you going to apologize first?"

He asked me with an arrogant tone.

Irene: There must be some misunderstanding. You were the one who bumped into me and broke my phone. I didn't even move, you were the one who came into collision.

"Still though, I'm a customer and you're an employee, which means that your existence depends on the money I spend here. So apologize. Now."

Irene: Cham! My existence? I would apologize if there was something to apologize for. Now please, would you like to order something or not?

"What an excuse of a restaurant! I'm leaving!"

Minhyuk oppa came back in a hurry.

Minhyuk: Aniyo Aniyo! Please forgive her, she's still a kid. They don't know manners nowadays. We will give you whatever you want to eat tonight!

"I'm leaving if she doesn't!"

Minhyuk: What?

"If you don't fire her right away, I'm leaving and tarnishing the image of this restaurant! Do you know who I am?"

"Woah, isn't that going a bit too far!?"

"Woah, Daebak!"

The other customers started saying. This guy must have been crazy.

"You should leave then. This is not the place for a grown man to come and make a fuss about something this futile. You're disturbing us, other customers"

A man at the back of the room said.

"What? I'm going to sue this restaurant!"

"Please leave and give us some peace and quiet"

The mysterious man said again. The rude man stormed out after cussing everyone out in the room.

Minhyuk: I'm sorry for all of this. Please go back to your conversations. Thank you for your understanding. You, go back there now!

I didn't move and stared at him. How can someone be so un supportive when it came to his own employees. He was just too afraid of losing a client and therefore some money.

Junyeong: Irene, come on. Ppalli!

Junyeong Eonnie pushed me to the back of the restaurant. I was so upset. Sometimes, I just am not in the mood to be walked on like that. I know that feeling too well.

Minhyuk: You! Couldn't you just apologize and let it pass?

Junyeong: Why would she have? He was the one to start and she just did as you asked.

Minhyuk: It's a customer we're talking about. There's no place for self pride when it comes to a customer!

Junho: Ah jebal, Minhyuk! You're being too much right now. Irene usually doesn't have any problem with customers, so if something like that goes this far, you should take your employee's side.

Minhyuk: I see you're all ganging up against me! Alright, do as you wish!

We all sighed when he left the room. I wasn't that mad anymore and I was happy that my friends stood up for me, at least.

Junho: What was that about?

Irene: I was worried about my sisters and didn't look up so he purposely bumped into me to make me look at him. I know it wasn't polite not to look at him, but it was not necessary to make all this fuss about it. My phone is ruined now!

Junyeong: Some people, really. Thankfully that young man defended you.

Irene: Oh, yeah about that, I should go thank him before he leaves. Thank you guys for sticking up for me.

Junho: Yeri asked me to take care of you when she's not here so I didn't have that much of a choice. Your sister's threats are quite convincing. Ha-ha.

I smiled again and gathered my belongings before heading back to the dinning room. The few customers that were left were leaving one by one, but the mysterious young man was still sitting in the back.

I thanked everyone and bid them goodbye before walking over to him.

Irene: Chogiyo... I just wanted to thank you for earlier... I'm sorry for bothering you with that.

He looked up to me and he actually looked younger than we all thought. Younger than I thought when I heard his voice earlier. It seemed like I had seen him somewhere, also.

"You're welcome. He was disturbing everyone"

He said before giving me a nice smile.

Irene: Erm... Hogsi, have we met somewhere before?

He smiled again and slightly nodded his head as a response.

Irene: Really? Where?

"Don't you really remember me, Juhyeon-ah?"

Irene: Wait, how do you know that name?

"Kim Juhyeon Irene... It's me, Oh Sehun"

My eyes grew big when he said his name. Sehun? I sure remember having a friend called Oh Sehun but he did not look that tall, slim and... manly.

Irene: No way! Sehun? What happened to you? I mean...

Sehun: Ha-ha. I lost some weight and died my hair... How have you been?

Irene: Not bad... It's so nice to see you after all this time! How have you been?

I sat down in front of him, as I was still trying to process the fact that he had changed so much.

Sehun: I just got back from Canada, only two months ago. Junmyeon heard from his brother that you worked here so I thought about paying you a visit.

Irene: Omo, Junmyeon! How is he doing?

Sehun: Good! How are your sisters? When I left, Yeri was barely twelve.

Irene: They're good. Talking about that, I'm wondering what they're up to. They're supposed to come pick me up but they're late.

Just as I said that, I heard the door and a few seconds later, my four cute but loud sisters rushed in. They searched for me and quickly walked in my direction when I waved them hello.

Joy: Eonnie, we're so sorry for being late!

Wendy: There was this huge accident, so the roads were full of people.

Irene: It's okay, I just finished my shift. Are you okay?

They nodded their heads and sat down too. I moved my seat and went next to Sehun, to give theim some room.

Irene: Girls, do you remember my very good friend, Sehun?

Yeri: The huge oppa?

Seulgi: Yah, Kim Yeri! You don't call people according to their physical appearances! It's rude and inconsiderate!

Sehun laughed next to me, but I was a little embarrassed because of what Yeri said.

Irene: Anyway... girls, this is Sehun.

They looked next to me as if they were finally acknowledging his presence. Their eyes grew big in realization.

Wendy: Omona! Is it really you? Wow, you've changed so much, oppa!

Joy: You're so handsome! Wow, I'm impressed!

Seulgi: It's good to see you, oppa!

Sehun: Aigo, you girls have grown so much. It's nice to see you all like this.

The girls started catching up with him. They've always liked him and considered him like a big brother figure. Minhyuk oppa told us that it was time to close the restaurant, so we had to leave.

He had no problems asking us to leave, because we did not bring him any profits.

Irene: Thank you for standing up for me today, Sehun-ah. It was nice seeing you again.

Seulgi: Oh? Did something happen today?

Irene: I'll tell you later.

Yeri: Oh no! I knew that something would happen if we were late! Mianhae, Eonnie!

Irene: It was nothing important, Yeri. Don't worry princess! Okay? Anyway, Sehun-ah, thank you again.

Sehun: No problem. Let me take you girls home.

Seulgi: Ah ani, oppa! It's okay, we'll just walk back home.

Sehun: No, I insist. That's what I have a car for.

Wendy: To bring girls back home?

Joy: Oh, oppa, you've changed indeed! Ha-ha!

Sehun: That's not what I meant! Let's just go, Ha-Ha.

We finally agreed and followed him. His car was a huge range rover, and we all managed to fit in.

Irene: What did you say you worked in, already?

Sehun: I didn't mention anything. It's a secret!

I smiled and let go of the subject. I knew I would have plenty of time to know more about it, bu for now I was just happy to be with my friend. Junmyeon, Sehun and I were like the three musketeers when we were young. We met when we were all barely seven, so they were around long enough to have met my dad's wife.

We quickly got to our house, because it was not that far from my workplace. It was even faster to get there by car.

Yeri: Goodnight Oppa!

Joy: Hope to see you again soon!

Seulgi: Go back safely, Oppa.

Sehun: Wend, Jinyoung asked about you again by the way.

Wendy: Oppa! Please stop teasing me with that.

The girls walked into the house, leaving me with Sehun.

Irene: Thank you for today.

Sehun: No problem. Here is my number. You better text me, birdy.

Irene: Stop calling me that. We're not kids anymore, Ha.

Sehun: You've become even more beautiful than what I remember. I've missed you.

Irene: Me too... I'll text you! Have a safe ride back.

We smiled again before he left. I walked into our house a few minutes later, only to be attacked by my sisters.

Wendy: Omo, Eonnie! You guys are so cute together!

Joy: I could feel the tension from afar!

Irene: Girls, we're just friends. I haven't seen him in four years! He might be a totally different person!

Seulgi: It doesn't mean anything! He likes you, it's obvious!

Irene: Anyway, let's stop talking about that before Appa comes back.

I texted Sehun that night to thank him again and he replied with a cute smiley and a simple "Goodnight birdy" but I couldn't help but smile.

That was a good day after all.