Moment Of Peace

Mr. Kim's Daughters

 

+Seulgi's POV+

 

With everything that had been happening lately, I could not even tell my family that I was engaged.

I didn't know when I would be able to tell them. After seeing what happened to Irene Eonnie, I felt like Jaebum and I didn't have the right to be happy, or to celebrate anything.

For the past week, we've all been spending a lot of our time with her, as if the situation reminded us of how lucky we are to have such a great sister.

I am so grateful to Sehun Oppa and Jacklin Eonnie for helping her get out of this nightmare. Without them, she would be married by now. Just the thought made me cringe with fear.

I was trying to work on a project for my anatomy class, but I had some troubles concentrating. I couldn't properly sleep for the past few days because I was stressed. Jaebum and I had decided to tell his family about our engagement.

We are supposed to do it tomorrow, but I really don't feel like it's the right time yet. I am honestly really scared. I know his family does not like me at all. Well, his mother is pretty vocal about it, but I don't think his father dislikes me that much. He has always been nice to me.

Irene: Why are you already up on a Saturday morning?

Irene Eonnie walked into the living room, while rubbing her eyes. It was 9 in the morning and usually she was the only one to get up this early to go to work.

Seulgi: I have some work to do. Why are you already up? I thought you had the week free until next Wednesday.

Irene: I just wanted to cook breakfast for everyone. Is dad already up?

Seulgi: He left an hour ago... his boss wanted to see him.

She froze as soon as I said that. I knew what she was thinking about because I thought the same thing this morning when I watched my dad leave. This meeting didn't forecast anything good.

She sat down next to me at the table and ran a hand through her hair before sighing. I smiled to reassure her. She had been dreading that moment and I knew that she wouldn't feel at ease until my dad came back.

Seulgi: Let's cook breakfast together like old times! It's going to be fun!

The door bell rang and she slightly laughed and ruffled my hair before standing up to go get it. She came back a few seconds later with Sehun Oppa.

Seulgi: Oh! Annyeong oppa! What brings you here this early?

Sehun: Annyeong Seul. Erm... your sister invited me over for breakfast. You didn't tell them?

He turned to ask Irene Eonnie who just shrugged her shoulders. I smiled at the sight and started putting my books away. I would try working later.

Irene: I have to wake the girls up before we start cooking. This way, they'll all be at the table by the time the food is ready.

I started taking the ingredients out of the fridge while talking to Sehun Oppa. Him and Irene Eonnie were head over heels for each other. They spent almost everyday together and never got tired of it. I wondered how long they'd be able to keep up with that rhythm. Luckily for them, they were currently both taking a week break from work.

We all enjoyed breakfast together and it took our minds off of other annoying matters. Someone started taping the apartment's code and it made us all look in the direction of the door.

Irene Eonnie and I looked at each other then back at the door. Our dad appeared a few seconds later and we all quietly stood up from our seats, but not for the same reasons. Yeri and Joy went to hug him and Wendy gave him a kiss on the cheek, completely oblivious of what was happening.

He smiled and talked to them but I could tell that something was up. We waited for him to say hello to everyone and when he walked in his room, Irene Eonnie and I followed him, leaving the girls with Sehun oppa and Jacklin Eonnie.

Irene: Appa... how did it go?

Appa: Hm? It was nothing that I didn't expect.

Seulgi: What did he say?

Appa: He was furious about what happened, obviously. He didn't fire me but with the way he talked, I'm afraid he is not done with you.

My father sighed heavily as he sat on his bed. He looked tired and most of all worried for Irene Eonnie. We sat on either side of him and held both his arms.

Irene: Appa... don't worry for me... I'm just glad he did not fire you.

Appa: Juhyeon, I really want you to be careful for a few days, okay? It's a good thing that you're not working lately, so stay home as much as you can.

Seulgi: Appa, she is not going to lock herself up because of that man.

Appa: Juhyeon, just promise me that you will always be with someone at least when going somewhere. Arrasseo?

Irene: Arrasseo, Appa! Ije geogjeonghaji maseyo, uri Appa, hm? I will be fine, I promise.

Appa: Alright. Now go finish your breakfast with everyone else. I don't want the girls to suspect anything. I am going to sleep for a bit. I feel exhausted.

Irene: Arrasseo. We'll leave some food for you on the table.

Seulgi: Have a good nap, Appa.

When Irene Eonnie and I walked out of his room we looked even more concerned than before. How can he say that nothing happened when we clearly see that he has been troubled. I wondered what Mr. Park told him that day. I probably said the last part outloud because Irene Eonnie reacted.

Irene: Me too. Let's just wait and see. Seul, Sehun and I have to go out for the day, but I won't be able to go to the mart before coming back home. Can you go with Jacklin and the girls, please?

Seulgi: Keurae. I'll let them know. Have fun today.

Irene Eonnie slightly smiled and turned around. It didn't seem like they were going on a date. I wondered what it could have been.

I spent the day with Jacklin Eonnie and my sisters, and it made me forget about what was going to happen the next day.

I really didn't want to go to bed so I started working as soon as we got back, and I was still doing so at 10pm. Jacklin Eonnie came out of our room and sat in front of me, at the table.

Jacklin: What are you doing? You shouldn't overwork yourself or else you're going to get sick. Rest your eyes for a bit.

Seulgi: I don't really feel like going to bed yet, Eonnie. I don't want to sleep.

Jacklin: Wae?

Seulgi: Hm... the sooner I go to bed, the sooner tomorrow will come.

Jacklin: Seul, even if you don't go to bed right now, tomorrow will eventually come. So take care of your body. Ha-Ha.

I laughed at her joke. It was true. No matter how long I stayed up, the morning was going to come and I'd have to go to the Im's residence.

Jacklin: Keundae... Why are you dreading for tomorrow to come?

Seulgi: Erm... I am having lunch with Jaebum's family.

Jacklin: Oh, I see! Well, it will be a hard day like any other, right? Just keep repeating that to yourself and everything will be as fine as it can be, in that situation. Ha-Ha.

Seulgi: Ha-Ha. You're probably right. I'll check on dad then I'll wash up to get ready for bed. Thank you Eonnie.

My dad was sleeping soundlessly and Irene Eonnie was still not back from wherever she went with Sehun Oppa, so I texted her but she didn't reply. I guessed that she was not coming home, so I turned all the lights off and went to bed.

When I woke up the next day, nobody was next to me so I assumed that everyone was already up. I walked to the living room and found my dad, my younger sisters and Jacklin Eonnie watching TV and laughing. I went directly into the bathroom and got ready. I had to leave in two hours, but I knew I would need an entire hour to get my mind straight.

After taking my shower I checked my phone and Jaebum wrote to say that he would be in front of my building in 30 minutes, so I stayed in the living room with everyone in the mean time. He got here exactly 30 minutes after his text message and I couldn't help but be impressed, once again. He never says something that he will not do. Jaebum is that type of person.

I got in his car and buckled my seat belt before looking at him.

Jaebum: You look beautiful.

Seulgi: Thank you. How do you feel today?

Jaebum: I should be the one asking that. You look extremely tensed.

Seulgi: It's because I am nervous. I can't even begin to imagine their reaction. Do you really think this is the right time?

Jaebum: Seul, we've talked about this many times. This is the right time.

I sighed in defeat and looked in front of me. He really looked determined to ruin his own life. When we got to his house, we were lead to a place at the back of the garden. Everything was arranged nicely, in tones of white and gold: his mother's favorite colors.

There were five seats and table sets. Jaebum and I randomly sat next to each other and waited for his family to come out. When his father showed up, I quickly stood up and bowed twice.

Seulgi: Annyeonghaseyo Abeonim.

Mr Im: Ah, Seulgi-ah. Wasseo?

Before I could reply, his mother walked out with her usual poker face or should I say the "when Kim Seulgi visits" face.

Seulgi: Annyeonghaseyo Eomonim.

She looked at me then down at my outfit before huffing in disagreement. She sat down without replying and ordered their maid to start serving the food.

Jaebum: Aren't we waiting for Hyung?

Jongkook: I am here. Hello everyone! Oh, uri Seulgi is here!

Seulgi: Annyeonghaseyo, Oppa. Oraenmhanida.

Jongkook: Keurom! You should come visit more often!

Mrs. Im: What for? It's not like she is welcomed here.

Jaebum: Eomma!

Mr. Im: Let's not start this fight, already. We haven't even eaten yet.

I held Jaebum's hand underneath the table to calm him down. We ate in silence for about 30 minutes before Mr. Im broke it.

Mr. Im: Seulgi, Jaebum told me that you've decided to take pediatrics as your major for your second year. That's a good decision. If I didn't choose surgery back in the time, I think pediatrics would have been my second choice.

Mrs. Im: What is she going to use this knowledge for, anyway? It's not like she will go anywhere in life.

She muttered the last part but loud enough for all of us to hear.

Jongkook: Eomma, I think you're going too far.

Mrs. Im: And how does it concern you? I didn't know you were all called Kim Seulgi, now!

Mr. Im: Yeobo, calm down now.

Mrs. Im: Tangshin... What is she so good at, that all the men in this house like her so much?

Jaebum: Eomma, jebal.

Mrs. Im: Ah dwaesseo! I'm not even hungry anymore.

She stood up from the table and started walking away but Jaebum stopped her with what he said.

Jaebum: We are engaged!

Everyone turned to look at him when he said it and me too. How could he say that, at this moment?

Mrs. Im: Mworago? You are... what?

Jaebum: We are... engaged. I asked Seulgi to marry me and she said yes.

Jongkook: Jaebum-

Mrs. Im: Mwo!? Have you lost your damn mind? Do you really think I'm going to let you get married to her?

Jaebum: I wasn't asking for permission, Eomma... I was letting you guys know. I love Seulgi and-

Mrs. Im: Shikeureo! I don't care about that. You are not going to get married to that... that thing!

Mr. Im: Yeobo! Don't talk like that!

Mrs. Im: What? Do you want to tell me that you're glad to hear that he is engaged?

His father slightly looked down before looking at me saddly. I could tell he felt uncomfortable.

Mrs. Im: Neo! You come to my house with that false respectful attitude, you eat my food and now you convince my son to propose to you? What kind of scam artist are you?

Jaebum: Eomma! Please, stop! She did not force me!

Mrs. Im: And you dare defend her? You! Ungrateful child! Take that girl of yours and get out of my house! I don't want to see you until you get back to your senses! You both get out, now!

Mr. Im: Minah!

Jongkook: Mom! You can't tell Jaebum to leave! You don't have to go this far.

She wasn't even listening anymore. She was already in the house, and I was frozen into place. What had just happened? I couldn't even process the whole thing yet, until I felt a hand hold my arm and drag me out, towards the door. Jaebum was gripping my arm too strongly and he was clearly very angry.

Jongkook: Jaebum, where are you going? Jae, don't take her words at heart, you know mom! You're not really leaving, right?

He wasn't listening. He kept dragging me out, towards his car. He almost pushed me inside and walked around to get into the driver's seat when his father and brother walked out of the house. His father stopped him for a second.

Mr. Im: Jaebum... you've got to calm down. I know that you have the right to be mad but just understand her shock. You just told us that you are engaged. You've got to give us some time to process it.

Jaebum: Why do I feel like she is the only who needs time to process it, right now? Even if you and Hyung were shocked, you did not insult my fiancée, so why should I understand it just because it's coming from her?

Jongkook: Jaebum, you know mom! She is just overprotective sometimes and-

Jaebum: Hyung! She spent two years of her life mistreating someone else's child, and the words she said today... how do you think a parent would feel if their child was being treated that way? Her family has been nothing but nice to me even though they perfectly knew she wasn't welcomed in mine. If she wants me to leave until I get back to my senses, then just tell her that I'm never coming back.

Seulgi: Jaebum!

He bowed to his father and quickly got in the car before driving out of the property. I couldn't even talk because he looked so hurt. This is exactly what I wanted to prevent from happening. I didn't want his family to fall apart like that because of me.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and please feel free to comment!! Thank yout SO MUCH for reading my story! You guys are awesome! Xoxo