Epilogue - Wings

Mr. Kim's Daughters

 

+Present Days+

 

It has already been six months since the girls heard about the passing of their mother.

At first, when their father told them about it, they did not know how to react to the news. They were told that someone had passed away, but they did not know what to feel.

So many things have happened since that revelation.

 

 

+Flashback+

 

 

Mr. Kim and the girls had been sitting in a complete silence for five minutes.

No one knew what to say. It was awkward and it was beyond uncomfortable.

It would have stayed silent for a long time if not for Irene who suddenly started crying. She had tried to hold it in for as long as she could, but an overwhelming feeling of sadness had taken a hold of her.

Seulgi also started crying at the thought that they no longer had a mother, for real now. Irene and her were the ones who had spent the most time with the woman; therefore, the ones who remembered her the most. It was a hard thing to hear.

Seeing their sisters crying made Wendy and Joy cry too. Mr. Kim leaned his back against the sofa and heaved a long sigh. He did not know what to say or what to do in front of his crying daughters. He felt so helpless.

He, also, tried his best to get the news to sit in his mind. He grieved the loss of the love of his life.

For the second time.

After what seemed like an eternity to the eyes of a father, the girls finally calmed down and wiped their tears away.

Wendy: Did you get to see her?

She asked with a small voice, as she looked at their father straight in the eyes.

Incapable of answering with words at that point, he just nodded his head to confirm it.

Wendy's face changed into a sad expression once again.

Seulgi: Appa... why did they call you directly? She surely must have had other people in her contacts.

Mr. Kim looked nervous. He did not want to disturb his shocked daughters any more than they already were, but he did not want to lie to them either.

Mr. Kim: The car she was riding was at my name.

Wendy, Seulgi and Joy looked at their father with confused eyes. Irene did not seem to be listening to any of this.

Joy: Why was the car at your name, Appa?

He sighed again before replying.

Mr. Kim: I bought it for her.

Joy: What?! When?

Seulgi: This isn't important right now, Joy. Appa, why did you buy her a car?

Mr. Kim: Do you remember the night she came here, a few months ago? I met with her later that night to ask her why she even bothered showing up to disturb our family if she did not mean to come back with us.

He started. The girls listened to him with attention.

They did not know that their father had met their mother that night.

Mr. Kim: She told me that she broke up with the other man and that she needed some money to get by and buy herself a car for work. I guess she thought that we were rich because she saw Sehun with Irene.

Wendy: Huh?

Mr. Kim: Anyways, I helped her buy the car and gave her some money. Nothing much, but I had to help her as the mother of my kids.

Mr. Kim looked at his girls.

Mr. Kim: I really don't know what to say. The only thing I want to make sure of is that you know that even though she was not a present mother in your lives, it is not weird for you to be sad. Not a all. It is completely natural.

Irene shifted her position to look at her father for the first time since he had told them the news.

Mr. Kim: And you're not being a bad person if you don't feel as sad as you think you should. You don't have to feel guilty about anything, because you did not do anything wrong.

Upon hearing this, Irene suddenly stood up from the floor. She could not bear it any longer.

Irene: I am going back to my apartment. I will see you later.

Seulgi: Eonnie...

Wendy: Irene Eonnie...

She did not stop when her sisters called her. All she wanted to do was get out of there and get back to her condo, and to Sehun.

When she walked in her apartment, she found him sound asleep on the sofa with his laptop opened in front of him.

She slowly walked up to him and sat down on the floor, next to the sofa.

She slowly closed his laptop and turned to him. As she looked at his face she felt a sense of guilt take a hold of her. She felt like she did not have the right to be sitting there at this moment when her family was going through such a hard time.

Even though she knew that, she just could not go back right away. Her heart was hurting so badly. She had lost her mother.

Twice.

She could not even begin to imagine what her father was going through.

Irene: I know that it happened... but why am I feeling like this?

She asked herself.

For once she was glad that Sehun was sleeping when she got home. He could not hear and see her in this state.

She stood up and went to the room, before coming back with a blanket. She covered him with it and walked back in without waking him up. For some reason, she wanted to sleep alone that night.

She got in her bed and closed her eyes. She tried to go to sleep, but it was more complicated than it seemed.

She was physically and emotionally tired, but for a strange reason she could not go to sleep. She was afraid of her nightmares coming back,

The next few days after the shocking announcement, many things had to be taken care of in the family.

Irene had the hard task to inform Yeri about it and even though she did not have many distinct memories with her mother, she had a really hard time processing everything.

The girls had to go to their grandparents' house to present their condolences, without their father for obvious reasons. Their grandmother was completely bashful and did not even take the time to ask the girls how they had been doing all these years.

It was not only because she was mourning her daughter, but also because she never liked their father. She had never been really sweet to them or anything, so the girls did not really mind her attitude.

Their grandfather on the contrary was adamant about the fact that his daughter caused her family a whole lot of unnecessary heartbreaks. He apologized on her behalf so much that the girls had to stop him and tell him that at this point they did not hold any grudges against anyone.

The two months after that, the girls started getting back to being their usual selves. The boys would occasionally take them out for dinner or for lunch whenever they could. Things slowly got back into place.

One afternoon, when Jacklin, Junmyeon, Seulgi, Jaebum, and Irene were having lunch together, Sehun started talking about their marriage plans. He wanted them to plan it sooner than later.

Sehun: What do you think?

Irene: What do you mean by 'soon'?

Sehun: In two months?

Irene: Wow! That's way to close!

Jacklin: Why? I think it's a good idea! If we put some effort into it, I really think that we can pull it off!

Irene: Then let's plan your marriage first!

Junmyeon: Yah!

Jacklin laughed before replying.

Jacklin: Jun and I are not engaged, Irene. We've decided to take it one step at a time. Plus, I'm really getting along with his mother at the moment, and I don't want to rush things.

Irene: I know... what about you two?

Seulgi: Same here! We like it that way for now.

Jaebum: Noona, I think it's just right for you to get married first. All of our engagements got postponed for whatever reason, and I think that's a sign.

Irene: Ah... two months is way too close. Let's make it six?

Sehun: Shireo! Why are you trying to push it further? Having second thoughts?

Irene: Not at all! Okay... let's say five months?

Sehun: Four. And that's my last word.

Irene looked at him with pleading eyes, but he did not budge. She finally agreed to the four months delay, and that was how the planning started.

 

 

+End of flashback+

 

 

+Irene's POV+

 

 

It was finally my wedding day. I could not even believe that I was about to get married to my childhood best friend.

So many things happened to us. We went through so much pain and happiness together, and I could not dream of a better person to get married to.

I was getting my makeup done by a famous makeup artist that Sehun had hired for our special day. I was never the heavy makeup wearer, but for my wedding I wanted to look particularly beautiful, so I accepted right away.

Jacklin and my sisters took care of their own makeup next to me. As my bridesmaids, I had insisted for them to dress in the same room as me. I did not want to be by myself and get bored.

Jacklin: How do you feel?

Irene: Really good!

Seulgi: Really?

Irene: Eo... I don't feel worried at all.

Joy: Is it a good sign?

Irene: Of course! Last time I was about to get married, I remember that I couldn't stop crying. This time must be the good one.

I said as I smirked.

Wendy: Woah... she can even joke about it now!

We all laughed together at the thought of my past almost-wedding disaster.

Irene: Can you imagine if I had gotten married back then?

I said, a little more seriously. The girls all turned to look at me.

Joy: I don't even want to think about it.

Yeri: Thank God, Lin Eonnie was brave enough to react. She saved the day.

Jacklin: Ani...

Irene: I will never thank you enough for that.

Jacklin: Irene... don't get me started with the waterfalls!

We laughed again. Jacklin had always been good at lightening the mood.

We finished getting pampered and the girls went to get ready. Two other women helped me wear my dress, before leading me to my waiting room.

As soon as I sat down on the sofa, I looked around and scanned the room. It was decorated quite simply, with tones of whites and golden. My sisters had done a good job indeed.

Contrary to one's idea, my sisters and Jacklin took care of most parts of my wedding planning. Except for the makeup artist, the DJ, and the caretaker service, they did everything themselves.

They helped me find the perfect dress, they helped me decide on the theme, the colors, the location and took care of all the complicated logistic, while I just relaxed.

Sehun had been very busy for a few weeks because he wanted most of his work done before the ceremony. At first, I did not like not seeing him as often, but the less time I spent with him, the more happy and excited I got to get married.

It felt like we were not really living together, and that we were getting ready for a completely brand new step in our relationship.

Sehun's best friends from Toronto all flew in a few days ago, to be here for the wedding. Even Luna could make it to South Korea for the occasion.

Thinking back at it, I had never really gotten to learn the reason behind Sehun and Luna's close relationship, but I did not mind at all. I knew that it was something important to Sehun, so I did not mind at all.

Sehun was about to get married to me, so that must have meant something too.

Suddenly, my attention shifted to the door as someone walked in. It was my sisters and Jacklin.

Jacklin: Oh my God... you look absolutely gorgeous, Irene!

Irene: Aw... Thank you, Lin-ah!

Wendy: Hyogsi, the Kim household's most beautiful daughter!

Seulgi: There's no beauty like her!

Joy: That person isn't born yet!

Irene: Yah, stop it!

I laughed at my younger sisters' antics. I looked at them for a second and saw that they were all beautifully dressed and prepped.

Irene: You girls look so beautiful in those dresses. I wish someone was here to take a photo of us!

Jinyoung: Did someone call for a photographer?

Jinyoung said, walking in with a professional camera. He was closely followed by Sungjae, Nayeon and Jaebum. The three boys looked absolutely dashing in their tuxedos, and Nayeon was really pretty in her cute white cocktail dress.

Irene: Woah, you look great!

Sungjae: No, Noona, you look great!

Nayeon: All of you! You look so beautiful!

Jinyoung: You all look beautiful, but Noona especially. My brother is lucky to get married to such a beauty.

Wendy: Slow down with the compliments, Jinyoung. She is an soon to be married woman.

Irene: I don't mind the compliments, Wendy, don't worry!

I said, teasing my so-obviously jealous sister. She and Jinyoung were like cat and mouse, always picking at what the other one did wrong. We were all waiting for the day when they were finally going to admit to liking each other.

Jinyoung: What about these photos?

Jacklin: Ah, yes! Let's take some photos!

The girls stood and sat around me for the first few photos. Then I took one with each of my sisters.

Irene: Boys, it's your turn!

Jacklin: I'll take the photo.

The boys came to stand around the sofa and all smiled at the camera.

Junmyeon: Don't! Wait for us!

Lucas: What about us?!

Johnathan: Wow, what do we have here? So many beautiful ladies.

Jacklin: Calm down, John! They are all either taken or too young for you.

Johnathan: Oh, Wow... My bad!

Evan: So, when are we taking this photo?

Luna: Not without me!

Irene: Luna! Hello!

Luna walked up to me and gave me a quick hug.

Luna: Wow, you look so beautiful!

She said, after we pulled away from the hug.

Irene: I am sure having my fair share of compliments today! I don't dislike the feeling!

Luna: Of course, you should hear compilations of compliments all day long!

Irene: By the way, thank you so much for agreeing to sing for us! I can't wait to see your duet with Nayeon and Joy.

Nayeon: Thank you for letting us sing at your wedding. It will be such a great first experience!

Irene: Of course! It's a family affair after all!

I smiled at the excited Nayeon. She looked so cute.

Sehun: What are you all doing in here?

We all turned around and looked in the direction of the entrance. Sehun had just appeared through the door and walked up to us.

He came next to me and gave me a tender kiss on the cheek, making all the onlookers squeal in delight. Did they never see a couple kissing?

Sehun: How did I get so lucky?

Sehun asked me, but loud enough for everyone to hear. Only those who understand Hangul laughed, but Jacklin translated it for the others.

Junmyeon: Are you ready to be off the market?

Sehun: I've been off the market for the past three years of our relationship. There was no one else I would have wanted to be with all this while.

Lucas: Someone please translate this, because I feel like there's something intense going on here!

Evan: I'm not even sure if we should even be able to hear whatever they're saying. It looks hella private.

The two boys joked.

Everyone laughed again and mingled together. It looked like we were having a house party in my waiting room, except that we were dressed up for a tea party.

Sehun: Do you remember the last time we were in this type of room?

Irene: The day you confessed your longing feelings for me? Yes, I do.

Sehun: Oh. I like the sound of that last sentence. I can't wait to hear it again in a few minutes.

I smiled at my amazing fiance.

Irene: Thank you for everything you've done for me and my family during these past four years. Our lives changed radically when Jun and you came back. I will never thank both of you enough for this.

Sehun: When you love someone, there's nothing you cannot accomplish for his or her happiness. I can't wait to make you my wife.

He leaned in and left a kiss on my forehead as I closed my eyes and hugged him.

Sehun: I will see you at the alter, soon to be wife.

After hanging out for about ten minutes, everyone got out to go get ready for the ceremony to start. I was left alone once again, but not for too long as my father walked in, a few minutes after everyone left.

Irene: Appa!

I exclaimed as I tried standing up from the sofa. He walked up to me with the sweetest smile on his face.

Appa: Juhyeon-ah, you look so pretty.

He hugged me tight and helped me up.

Irene: Thank you, Appa.

Appa: Are you nervous?

Irene: Not at all. Are you?

Appa: No... I can't wait for you to get married. Does that make sense?

I laughed, understanding the feeling.

Irene: This time, it's the good one.

Appa: It's the only one.

I smiled at my father as he squeezed my hand.

Yeri: Appa! It's time to go!

Appa: Okay. We're coming.

He turned to me again.

Appa: I'm so proud of all of you... Juhyeon, you have always been of so much help throughout this whole journey. You've helped me take care of your sisters from the day everything changed, and I have never really thanked you for that.

Irene: You don't have to, Appa. I love my sisters and I love you. There's nothing I wouldn't do for you guys.

Appa: I'm so glad you're happy. I hope that all of your lives will always be filled with love and success. There's nothing you deserve more than the ultimate best.

Irene: Aw, Appa!

Appa: I still can't believe that Seulgi, Wendy, and you, are done with college and that Yeri is in her senior year of High-school. Joy is doing her own thing, and everyone has grown up so quickly. Where has the time gone?

Irene: Are you starting to get emotional?

Appa: I'm going to stop before I make you cry on this Oh so happy day! Did you see what I did there?

I laughed as I shook my head at my jokester of a father, but before I could reply, someone opened the door again.

Seulgi: Appa, three minutes!

Appa: Seulgi, bring your sisters in for a second, please. It won't take long.

Seulgi nodded her head and disappeared for a second before coming back with all of my sisters.

Wendy: Is there something wrong?

Appa: Aniya! I just wanted to speak to all of you before the ceremony.

Joy: Oh... okay.

We all gathered together around my father.

Appa: You girls... I am so proud of you all. You are my biggest success and there is nothing I wish more than for you all to be happy. I feel that we're on the good way for that.

Irene: You've done a great job with us, Appa!

Seulgi: I don't think we will ever be able to repay you for your love and support. Thank you, Appa.

Wendy: You've always had our backs and you've taught us to have each other's backs. We love you!

Joy: Thank you for letting us live our dreams no matter the circumstances. There's no one like you, Appa.

Appa: I love you all, my girls. Should we leave the ending comment to my Princess?

My dad said while playfully smiling at Yeri. She smiled back before speaking up.

Yeri: Everywhere we go, we'll always be proud to say that we're this awesome Mr. Kim's daughters.

She pointed at my dad before smiling again from ear to ear.

Just like that we all got into a tight embrace. At this moment, there was nothing that could take away this feeling of joy and happiness.

Thanks to this great man, we became the young ladies we are today. There's nothing greater than the love of a family.

I hope that our story gave you the sense that you could overcome anything if you meet the right people. When you've got the love and support of your family, nothing is impossible.

Much love.

Mrs. Oh Irene.


Some photos of the ceremony and the main cast at the wedding:

Irene's wedding Photo-shoot with her sisters.

 

Irene's wedding dress.

 

After the "I Do's"

 

Seulgi and Wendy during the ceremony.

 

Joy and Yeri during the ceremony.

 

Nayeon and Jinyoung during the ceremony.

 

Jaebum and Jinyoung.

 

Evan, Jonathan, and Lucas during the ceremony.

 

Luna during the ceremony.

 

Sehun and Junmyeon before the wedding.

 

Last but not least, Mr. Kim and his precious daughters.