See You Smile

Mr. Kim's Daughters

 

+Seulgi's POV+

 

 

Irene: I am starving! Do you guys want something to eat?

She had just came back from God knows where, and walked past us to the kitchen.

Sehun: Not really. I'm pretty full.

Seulgi: Me too. I don't know why, but I'm not hungry at all.

Sehun Oppa and I looked at each other before silently chuckling to ourselves. Irene Eonnie stopped for a minute, turned around to throw us a suspicious stare. After a few seconds she sighed and left the room again.

Irene: Sehun... what did you do in here?

She was in the kitchen, looking for something to eat.

Sehun: What? I did nothing!

Irene Eonnie came back with an open cup of ramyun.

Irene: Who ate ramyun before dinner?

Sehun: Wasn't it you? I thought you ate some before we left this morning.

Irene: Sehun!

Sehun: Alright, alright! It was Seulgi.

My eyes widened when he said my name. I looked at him and saw his pleading eyes, almost begging me to lie for him. I looked back at Irene Eonnie who was now waiting for me to confirm or deny the accusation.

Seulgi: Yes... It was me.

Irene: Hm... I'll let it slide for tonight because it was you.

She fled back to the kitchen after throwing a knowing look at Sehun Oppa, who feigned to be working on his computer to avoid her gaze.

I laughed at their interaction before shifting my attention back to the TV screen.

After dinner, Sehun Oppa went to bed before us. He pretended to be "extremely" tired, but I knew that he just wanted to give us some time alone to talk.

Irene Eonnie didn't bring the "break up" subject. We just had a simple girls talk, lying on her lounge room floor. I missed those times when us five sisters would lie down next to each other and thank God for all of his blessings.

I am sure that we all still do it every night, but not together anymore. So many things had changed in a year and a half.

Irene: Let's do something tomorrow! Just the five of us! It's been a while since the Kim girls spent a good day together, don't you think?

Seulgi: It's like you've just read my mind. What should we do?

Irene: Hm... Spa date? Shopping?

Seulgi: Sounds good to me!

We talked a little bit longer before I was too tired to keep up with the conversation. My eyes kept shutting because of the accumulated exhaustion of the previous few days.

Once I got in bed I checked my phone one more time to see if I had received message from Jaebum, but there was nothing.

That night more than ever, I missed his voice telling me that he loves me. I tried to control my overwhelming sobs because I didn't want Sehun Oppa and Irene Eonnie to hear me.

I missed him. I missed him so very much.

 

 

+Irene's POV+

 

 

That night I stayed at the door, listening to Seulgi's painful sobs, and it broke my heart into a million pieces. She was having such a hard time, but there was nothing I could really do about it.

I silently walked back to our room, but Sehun wasn't sleeping. When he heard me walking in, he put his phone away on the nightstand and looked at me.

I quietly made my way next to him under the covers, before snuggling closer to his side.

Sehun: Does she feel any better?

Irene: Not really.

We stayed silent for a while.

Irene: You heard our conversation in the car, right?

Sehun: I knew she wasn't going to talk unless she felt secure enough. Since she thought I was sleeping, she could finally give in to you.

Irene: Thank you for always helping me with my family.

Sehun: No big deal.

Irene: I wish I could do something for Seulgi. I hate seeing her like that.

Sehun: Maybe you can.

Irene: Hm?

Sehun: I have an idea.

 

 

+Wendy's POV+

 

 

I came out of the bathroom when Irene and Seulgi Eonnies walked into our apartment, all dressed up. They told us to get ready to go shopping for our special girls' day out. We were all very excited to be spending some quality time, just the five of us.

For a while Seulgi Eonnie had been feeling very lonely, so it was the perfect idea and the perfect timing. Irene Eonnie told us about how she cried in the car, and told us that we needed to help her out. I could definitely see that this break-up had taken a real stoll on Seulgi Eonnie.

Once I finished getting ready, we all made our way downstairs. We had decided to take the bus and do everything the way we used to do it, a year and a half ago. I felt like I was really seeing my sisters again after a very long time.

We literally spent the day window shopping, and we also got ourselves cute little matching accessories. We were walking in the streets of Hongdae with our shopping bags when we passed in front of a hair salon.

Seulgi: Girls... I think we all need a change. We always look the same, so let's try to do something spontaneous!

Joy: I agree! I want to look different! Let's do something crazy!

Irene: Ha-ha! Calm down, little girl. Let's just go in and look at what we can do.

We all walked in and discussed with the hairdressers about what we could do to look different. Since it was already evening time the salon was practically empty, so each of us had someone to take care of her. After really deciding to go for it, we all started our transformations.

Hairdresser: How would you like to change your hair?

Wendy: Hm... I would like something crazy and totally unexpected.

Hairdresser: How about a new color?

Wendy: Oh, yeah that sounds awesome!

Hairdresser: I have a pallet of colors that you could look at, so tell me if one of them attracts your attention.

I looked at the catalogue of colors and one really stuck out to me. It was definitely unexpected and a tone that screamed "spontaneous". After showing her the color, she smirked confidently and started doing my hair.

After almost two hours, we were all done with our hair and ready to see one another. We had all gathered in the middle of the salon with our hair wrapped in towels or hidden under an accessory.

Irene: I am going to start.

She slowly removed the towel from her head, and her hair gradually appeared. We were all surprised to see that she cut them to a length a little after the shoulders and darkened her color to a shimmery black, giving her a magical aura. We were all astonished by how pretty it looked.

Hyogsi, from the prettiest of our clan.

Yeri: Wow! Eonnie, you are so beautiful! It suits you so well!

Joy: I agree! So pretty!

Irene: Why, thank you! Ha-ha. I tried to keep a sober look because I still have to go to work.

Work. I had completely forgotten about that. My hair color was definitely not discrete.

Seulgi: Okay, I'm taking the towel off.

As soon as we saw Seulgi Eonnie's hair, we loved it. She cut it the same length as Irene Eonnie, but dyed the ends a shade of metallic grey, making them look absolutely stylish. It screamed her identity and definitely suited her.

After praising Seulgi on her choice of hair color, Joy asked to unveil hers before me saying that it wasn't going to be as surprising, because she had simply cut her hair.

We didn't realize the accuracy of her words until she had taken her scarf off: her hair fell right before her shoulders.

Yeri: Aah! Your hair! You cut it all!

Irene: You had more hair than any of us. Wow! For a change, that's really it!

Seulgi: I love it! It makes you look so much more mature!

Wendy: I am seriously surprised. It suits you so well, Joy-ah!

Joy: Thank you! I have always wanted to try short hair. Now, Wendy Eonnie or Yeri?

Yeri: Eonnie, let's do it together! I am worried about their reaction.

Wendy: Me too.

Joy: What are you two whispering to each other? Show us, already!

Yeri and I looked at each other for a second before proceeding to take the towels off. I struggled with mine a bit, but as soon as my sisters gasped, I knew they had seen my hair.

I looked up and I found them staring at me with shock written all over their faces. Irene Eonnie had her eyes glued to Yeri, so I turned around to see why.

Wendy: Aaah! Yeri!

Yeri: Eonnie!

We burst into uncontrollable fits of laughter. We couldn't believe what we had done to ourselves, but it felt better knowing that we were in this crazy mess together.

Irene: Wow... It's all I can say.

Joy: Oh my God! My God!

It was kind of funny to see their reaction. After being shocked for about ten minutes, Irene Eonnie payed for all of us and asked Sehun Oppa to come pick us up. When he got to the salon, he almost tripped the minute he saw mine and Yeri's hair.

Sehun: Blond? Red hair? How? Why?

Wendy: We just felt like changing!

Joy: That's a huge change!

The girls chuckled, still having a hard time believing that we really did that to our hair.

Sehun: You know what? I kind of like it!

Wendy: Thank you, Oppa!

Irene: Dad is going to go crazy...

Seulgi: We'll sweet talk him into liking it. Ha-ha! Let's go!

 

 

+Jacklin's POV+

 

 

Junmyeon and I had spent two whole weeks in his hometown with his grandparents and other relatives, but at some point we had to go back to our reality.

I had mixed emotions during the entire ride back to the city, and I didn't know if it was because I was going to miss his family and his hometown, or if it was because our reality in Seoul was far from being a fairytale.

The first thing I did when I came back was go to Irene and Sehun's apartment to see them. I was surprised when Seulgi opened the door for me, and even more when I realized that she was alone in the apartment while Irene and Sehun were at work.

It looked like she was living there. I wondered about what had happened to everyone in a matter of weeks.

Seulgi: Where have you been all this time, Eonnie?

She asked me as we sipped the tea she had prepared.

Jacklin: I was visiting Junmyeon's family. Your new hair suits you well! I love it!

Seulgi: Ah... thank you. The girls and I wanted a complete change. You'll be shocked when you'll see their hair.

Jacklin: I feel like I've been gone for longer that I really have.

Seulgi: I know right? So many things have happened meanwhile.

Jacklin: How is school going? Work, and Jaebum?

I asked her, excited to hear about all the good things that had happened while I was gone.

Seulgi: Hm... We broke up. I am fine, don't worry! School is going great, and everything is fine at work too.

Well, for some good news, I would have to wait. I sat up straight and took her hands in mine.

Jacklin: Sseul... I am so sorry to hear that.

Seulgi: It's okay. I will be fine.

Jacklin: Have you talked to him since?

Seulgi: Not really. I don't really know where he is at the moment, to be honest.

Jacklin: I am so sorry.

Seulgi: Ha-ha, Eonnie, I am fine! I am fine... What's up with you?

Jacklin: Ah, don't even ask. I wouldn't know where to start.

We both laughed at how dramatic we sounded. We were all alive, healthy, with awesome friends to share our happiness, good, but also bad moments with. What more could we have asked for?

Jacklin: I am really grateful for all of you. You are like a second family, and you are closer to me than Junmyeon's family will ever be.

Seulgi: Are you going to try to fix the situation?

Jacklin: Honestly speaking, this time I really don't want to. I am more than over it. I feel like I have fought to my fullest already, and it is just not going to change.

Seulgi: I am sorry... Don't ever think that you are not worthy of being in Junmyeon Oppas's family. You are a great person, and I am sure his mother is going to come around someday.

Jacklin: I know... I just don't know if I want to wait for that day anymore.

We stayed silent as I thought about what I had just said. To be honest I really did not feel like begging anyone to like me or accept me anymore. I did not grow up thinking that being different was a bad thing, but apparently it was for my boyfriend's mother, which was sad.

While walking back to our apartment, I questioned a lot of things. How would I feel if the child inside of me was being treated differently because of the color of his or her skin, or because of a family background? Most importantly, how would my child feel?

It is not a good feeling knowing that you will never be accepted by someone, because what that person is being hostile towards you about is something that you cannot change. It is who you are, and someone is telling you that it is not good enough for him or her.

Jacklin: Hey.

I sat down next to Junmyeon on the sofa.

Jacklin: Already back? How was work?

Junmyeon: I didn't go to work.

Jacklin: What? I thought you said you were going to work to make up for the two weeks vacation.

Junmyeon: Well, I didn't go.

He responded in a curt manner. When I looked at him I realized that he was tensed. He sat very far from me, and had all his attention directed towards his phone screen.

Jacklin: Is something the matter?

Junmyeon: Nothing.

Jacklin: Can you be honest with me?

Junmyeon: Like you've always been with me, right?

For the first time since I had been next to him, he looked at me, but with nothing but anger.

Jacklin: Jun, what happened?

Junmyeon: Oh, I don't know, you tell me! Or maybe you'd rather say it to your second family. The one you will always be closer to, than my own family.

Jacklin: Wha- Where did you hear that?

Junmyeon: It's not the point! What you said was extremely hurtful. You said that you didn't even want to try anymore? Who will try fixing the situation, then?

Jacklin: Are you saying that I am the one who should do everything to win your mother's approval? Doesn't it sound a bit unreasonable to you?

I was boiling inside. How dared he even suggest that.

Junmyeon: No, what's unreasonable is you going around telling my friends everything that's happening in our lives.

Jacklin: Was it supposed to be secret that your mother is rejecting me? Everyone knows what a difficult mother-in-law I have to deal with.

I was pissed and my heart was racing really fast. I was starting to say things that I didn't really mean, but I didn't care at this point.

Junmyeon: Well, before using the term 'Mother-in-law', you'd have to be legally related to her, which is not the case yet. And with that attitude I don't think it will be, any time soon.

I was shocked. How could he say such a thing to me?

Jacklin: Junmyeon, how dare y-

I stopped as I felt a horrendous pain in my stomach.

Jacklin: Aaaahhhhhh!

I fell on my knees while holding my stomach. The pain was horrible. I had never experienced such pain in my entire life.

Junmyeon: Lin! Jacklin, what's wrong?

I kept screaming as he called for an ambulance. He rushed to my side and held onto me.

Jacklin: It hurts so bad! Aaah!

I started crying.

Junmyeon: Shh... breathe in and out. It's going to be fine.

I felt my body lose its strength.

Junmyeon: Jacklin! Jacklin! JACKLIN!

It was the last thing I heard before I fainted.