Apology

Mr. Kim's Daughters

 

Wendy: I have a boyfriend!

She said, out of the blue. Of course it was a lie and as soon as she said it she wanted to take it back, but Jinyoung was staring at her, looking dumbfounded.

Before she could even gather the courage to tell the truth, Sehun called Jinyoung and told him that they needed to go home. He looked at her one last time then left like that, without a word.

He was shocked because what he was the most afraid of, happened in the end. She had moved on already, he thought.

Three years ago when she confessed to him, he did not reject her at all. He was just afraid that she would be heartbroken if they got together at that time, and Wendy ran away after hearing that part only.

The truth is that, at that time, his parents were already planning for him to move to the USA and he did not want to start dating her to make her suffer from being far away from him.

When he thinks about it now, he feels stupid. They were seventeen, maybe they could have managed the long distance thing. Now it was too late to think about that, he felt like.

That night when they got home, Jinyoung did not go to their parents to wish them goodnight like he usually did and walked right up to his room. Sehun was sad for his brother, but he could not do anything. He, himself, never knew that Wendy had a boyfriend and Irene never mentioned it either.

She always talked about Jaebum and Sungjae but he never heard of Wendy's boyfriend.

Jinyoung stayed in his room sulking about the news, all night. He was still shocked and did not want to think about it but could not help it.

The next day, he did not come out to greet his family and have breakfast with them so his mother and brother came to see him.

Mrs Oh: Baby... Are you okay?

Jinyoung: Hm... I'm fine don't worry, Eomma. Sorry for not coming to greet you yesterday and today. I guess I am just a bit tired.

Mrs Oh: Do you want me to stay home today and take care of you?

Sehun: Eomma, he is not a baby. He is just a little bit tired, probably from the trip.

Mrs Oh: Sehun please, don't meddle in this. I'm just worried.

Jinyoung: Ma', I am fine! Really!

Their mother looked at him and nodded her head.

Mrs Oh: Okay. I'll see you tonight then. Rest at home today.

Sehun: I'll come back to have lunch with you, Jin. Have a good day! Come on, Eomma.

When they walked out of his room, Mrs Oh grabbed Sehun's arm and made him stop walking.

Mrs Oh: What is going on?

Sehun: Eomma... He told you that he is just a bit tired.

Mrs Oh: Hoon, he called me "Eomma". Jin never calls me "Eomma".

Sehun: Maybe he just forgot. He called you Ma' right after. Eomma, stop worrying. Come on, I'll treat you to breakfast.

Mrs: We've already had breakfast.

Sehun: What about a cupcake and a coffee then? I know how much you love cupcakes.

She looked at him about to give in and he put his arm around her shoulders, walking her out of the house.

 

 

+Irene's POV+

 

 

Last night was very nice. Thanks to my sisters, my nervousness did not show too much. All this time I had been spending with Sehun was the best time I've had with anyone, in a long time.

His company made me think of happier things and it seemed like everything was easier just for a night. I didn't know how he did that, but whenever I was with him this past few days, it felt like all my troubles had disappeared.

 

I was on my way to meet Junmyeon in a café next to my workplace. It had been a while since we've spent some time together, just the two of us, and I was excited to get the chance to have a free conversation with a friend.

He was already waiting for me inside so I made my way over to him when I noticed him.

Irene: Jun-ie!

I side hugged him and he smiled at me.

Junmyeon: How are you, little girl?

Irene: Yah! We're the same age!

Junmyeon: I was still born a month before you! Ha-ha. Sit down!

Irene: How was your day?

Junmyeon: Good. I had a lot of work and I will be going back to the company after having lunch with you, by the way.

Irene: Oh, yeah? What do you work in, by the way?

Junmyeon: Huh?... It's not really interesting! Let's stop talking about work!

Okay... This was weird. I still didn't know what Sehun and Junmyeon worked in and every time I started asking questions, they dismissed it. I was sure that they were hiding something from me.

Junmyeon: I really wanted to sit and talk with you. How are things going with Sehun?

Irene: I really don't know... I think I like him but don't you think it sounds weird for him and I to be together? I mean we've been friends since forever, and you and him even used to comfort me after my break ups.

Junmyeon: That makes him an even better candidate! He knows you like he knows himself, and he will always know what to do in order not to make you cry. At least I hope so... Ha-ha!

I laughed and looked at my friend.

Irene: How do you do that? You always know the words to say to reassure me.

Junmyeon: Because I also know you as much as I know myself.

Irene: Well! Let's talk about you now! What did you want to tell me?

Junmyeon: Erm... I wanted to introduce you to my girlfriend, today.

Irene: You have a girlfriend?! How come I only hear about this now?

Junmyeon: I met her in Canada and we've been dating for two years now. She decided to move here to be with me.

Irene: Oh my God, this is so romantic! What's her name?

Junmyeon: Jacklin. She is not Korean. In fact she is mixed African Canadian but she learned Hangul for three years after we met and even before we started dating, to be closer to me and to the people around me.

Irene: Jun, she sounds perfect! It seems like she loves you a lot!

Junmyeon: Aren't you shocked by the fact that she is mixed African and Canadian?

Irene: Why would I be? I really think people in the country should start being more open minded. I don't care if they're black, white or I don't know. It shouldn't matter, Jun, and don't worry it doesn't to me!

Junmyeon: Thank you Irene. Thank you so much.

Irene: Don't thank me Junmyeon-ah! Does Sehun know her?

Junmyeon: Sehun, Sungjae, Jinyoung. They all know her.

We talked while waiting for his girlfriend to get here. I couldn't wait to meet her, and I could really tall that Junmyeon was in love with her.

When she arrived I was mind blown by her beauty.

She walked up to us when she saw Jun, and smiled at me.

Jacklin: Annyeonghaseyo! Jacklin imnida! It's so nice to meet you finally, Irene-shi!

Irene: It's so nice to meet you too, Jacklin-shi!

She sat next to Junmyeon and side hugged him quickly.

Irene: You are so pretty! Jun is a very lucky man.

Jacklin: Ah, thank you so much. You're so much prettier, though!

We smiled at each other again and Jun seemed happy to see her. Lunch was so much fun! She was adorable and she so caring. I love and approve of her a hundred percent. There's nothing not to like about her.

After lunch I went back to work, happy to have met such a nice soul. We exchanged our phone numbers before separating earlier, and I promised to call her. I assumed that she didn't have a lot of female friends yet so she must have been feeling pretty lonely.

After work I decided to walk back home instead o ftaking the metro, to get some fresh air. The night looked beautiful.

"I told you to stop walking alone at night"

I looked down to find a smiling Sehun in front of me. I don't know how long I had been looking at the sky, to not hear the sound of his car when he parked it next to me. He got out of it and walked up to me.

Sehun: Let's walk you home tonight.

He offered his arm and I gladly held onto it. The first minutes were calm and none of us talked.

Irene: I met Jacklin today. She is great!

Sehun: Ah really? Yeah, I love her. She's so good to Jun.

Irene: Yeah. I was sad to know that she had no friends here yet.

Sehun: Hm. She always hang out with us. Not that we complain, but Jun is worried that she'll be bored soon and decide to go back to Canada.

Irene: I can understand.

Sehun: She's really brave. We've been here for four months and she found a part time job to be able to pay her hotel room and also put some money aside to get herself an apartment.

Irene: She lives in a hotel room?! Guys, how could you let that happen? That's not cool!

Sehun: There was nothing we could do. Jun and I still live with our parents and when he offered her to pay for her apartment, she refused. It worries me too and that's why we spend most of our nights hanging out with her in her hotel room.

Irene: This is so sad!

Sehun: I know.

Sehun walked me home and went back to get his car. My sisters were already asleep when I got there but I couldn't close an eye. Jacklin's situation was so sad. She left her country and moved here to be close to the man she loves but she ended up living in a hotel room.

The thought didn't sit well with me but I didn't know what to do to help her either.

Appa: Oh, Juhyeon-ah! You're not sleeping? 

Irene: Ah appa, wasseoyeo? No, I can't get myself to sleep.

He sat next to me on the sofa.

Appa: What's wrong?

Irene: I'm wondering how to help a friend of mine, but it's complicated.

Appa: What's your friend's problem?

Irene: Well she is Junmyeon's girlfriend. She is not from here but she moved all the way just to be with him, and for the past four months she has been living in a hotel room. She is gathering some money to get herself a little apartment, but I'm afraid it will take her too long.

Appa: She's living in a hotel room? That's not good.

Irene: I know! But Jun and Sehun can't really help her because they live with their parents.

Appa: Tell her to come here. She can come live with us until she gets herself an apartment.

Irene: Appa, it's really nice but I don't want it to be a bother to anyone here.

Appa: No one will be bothered! If one of you was in her situation, I would like for someone to do the same thing for you.

Irene: Appa, jeongmal?! Thank you so much! You're the best! I'll let her know as soon as we talk!

He smiled and ruffled my hair.

Appa: You should go to bed now. It's getting late.

Irene: Eo. Thank you again, appa!

The next day I called Jacklin and told her to meet me at my school. We had lunch together and I told her about the offer. She refused at first, not wanting to be a bother but I insisted. She looked so happy that I realized how much she must have felt lonely, alone in that hotel room.

Junmyeon thanked me endlessly until I begged him to stop. I really did it because I could see that she was a great girl. She was very brave.

My sisters immediately loved her. They kept asking her questions about Canada and vice versa. They were all really cute together and I felt like I had another sister.

Yeri moved into my dad's room and happily lent her bed to Jacklin.

One day Seulgi, Jacklin and I stayed up all night, talking about our past and present relationships. Jacklin admitted to be afraid of Junmyeon's parents' reactions when they will meet her. Seulgi and her found themselves having a lot of things in common and I was glad to see Seul opening herself to someone else than us.

I could understand Jacklin's fear and I really hoped the best for  her. So much was at stake, for her.

I am so glad Jun met her. I will always be rooting for them!