Settle In

Mr. Kim's Daughters

 

 

+Seulgi's POV+

 

 

We all celebrated Joy's great news and Jackin Eonnie's comeback at home. There was nothing more beautiful than to have everyone at home, like old times.

We had finally let our father know about Joy's dream. He was very upset at first, because we hid it from him and we all had to let him know how sorry we felt for that. After some tears and long talks, he had finally gave in.

He was so proud of Joy for being able to go after her dream. He told her that there was nothing special he wished for, while raising us, except for us to be able to reach for our dreams.

It had been a week already and we were all hyped up about it.

Irene Eonnie felt better, Junmyeon Oppa was back to being the cool Oppa we grew up with, and Wendy and Jinyoung seemed to have reconciled too. Everyone was a hundred percent happier, except for me.

I was happy for my sisters, but I also felt envious of how they were slowly but surely accomplishing what they had envisioned for themselves.

I couldn't even save my relationship.

It had been weeks since I last talked to Jaebum, and he had been very busy too, making him not able to come visit at all. Jinyoung and Sungjae were the ones updating us on his life because he did not even have time to do that himself.

Music blasted around the apartment, but still at a reasonable volume. My father had insisted on keeping it simple because he did not want to disturb our neighbors.

Sungjae: I still can't believe that you got into Starship. I'm so proud of you.

Joy: Thank you! I just wished Nayeon could be here to celebrate it with us, but I know that it would have been insensitive from me to insist that she came.

Seulgi: Did she not get her letter?

Joy shook her head before replying.

Joy: They did not even reply back. That's so harsh.

Sehun: Is she going back to France?

Joy: I don't know, but that's what her parents had decided for her in the first place.

Irene: They could let her try again, at least once... She must be feeling so down.

Just at that moment someone knocked at the door, making all of us turn around.

Wendy: Who could it be?

Wendy stood up from next to me and walked over to the door.

Wendy: Ah... Who are you?

We heard her ask, sounding puzzled. Junmyeon and Sehun Oppas immediately stood up, ready to go see who it was.

Wendy: Ah, you're Nayeon?! Come on in!

Both Nayeon and Wendy walked in the living room together.

Nayeon: Annyonghaseyo! Im Nayeon imnida!

Irene: Hi Nayeon! It's nice to finally meet you!

Yeri: Eonnie!

Yeri walked over to Nayeon and gave her a hug.

Nayeon: How have you been, Yeri?

Wendy: You've already met her?

Seulgi: Yeri and I met Nayeon a few days ago on our way back home.

Yeri: We even had lunch together! It was so nice!

Irene: Ah...

Joy: Are you okay? I said that you didn't have to come.

Joy told Nayeon. She was obviously feeling bad for celebrating such an occasion, when her friend did not get into any company.

Nayeon: I'm here to celebrate something too!

We were all confused for a moment.

Nayeon took a paper out from her handbag and handed it to Joy. Joy started reading it out loud for all of us to hear.

Joy: Dear, Im Nayeon, we are pleased to inform you that as of today you have been accepted to join our company, Starship Entertainment. We cannot wait to meet you again in person, very soon.

By the time Joy had finished reading the first sentence everyone was already cheering for Nayeon.

Irene: Congratulations, Nayeon!

Sungjae: See, I told you that you would get in!

Yeri: Congratulations Eonnie!

Joy: We're going to be training together! Nayeon!

Joy finally exclaimed. The two of them jumped in one another's arms and started screaming in happiness. We all watched them with happy smiles on our faces.

It was a very cute reaction to witness.

Wendy: Now that you're here, let's celebrate this together!

Nayeon: Okay!

We all gathered around our dinner table and started eating. It had been a long while since our house was this full and I could tell that our father liked it.

After dinner we all sat down together on the living room floor. to digest all the food we had just had.

Wendy: What do we do next?

Appa: What do you mean by that? Aren't you guys tired?

Irene: Appa, the night is still young! We have some important things to celebrate!

Sehun: What do you have in mind?

Junmyeon: Oh! How about we go to a karaoke room?

Jacklin: Oh! That sounds like a good idea! We will let these two future superstars show us what they're made of!

Yeri: Oh yeah!

Appa: Yeri, you are not going. You've got school early in the morning tomorrow.

Yeri: Ah wae?! Appa, please...

Appa: I'm sorry, Princess. No can do.

Yeri: Urgh...

Yeri sat back down as we all stood up. She started sulking at my father who did not even seem to notice and ultimately thought she was being cute.

Wendy: We're sorry, Princess. We'll go back with you another time.

Irene: We promise.

We all gathered our belongings and started walking towards the door when someone rang the bell. Since we were already on our way out we did not stop and just opened the door in the process.

All of us were extremely surprised to find Jinyoung and Jaebum standing in front of us.

Sehun: What are you two doing here? I thought you were busy tonight.

Jinyoung: My last class was cancelled and this guy had nothing to do.

Everyone looked over at Jaebum. His eyes were puffy, as if someone had just woken him up from his sleep.

Jinyoung: Where you leaving already?

Junmyeon: We're going to a karaoke room. Do you want to join?

Jinyoung: Of course!

We all walked out of the apartment after saying goodbye to our dad and the sulking Miss Yeri. The adults walked at the front, Sungjae, Wendy and Nayeon following them closely. I was left behind with Jinyoung, Joy and Jaebum.

Jinyoung: By the way, congratulations Joy!

He smiled at my sister before slightly patting her back.

Joy: Thank you, Oppa!

Jaebum: Way to go, kiddo. We're proud of you.

Jaebum said as he playfully ruffled Joy's hair before affectionately putting his arm around her shoulders.

The four of us walked in silence until we reached the parking lot.

Sehun: I can take up to four more people in my car.

Junmyeon: I have three free seats for whoever wants them.

Jinyoung: Jaebum also brought his car.

Jaebum: Ah... If it's okay with you, I would like to go with Seulgi. I need to tell her something.

Irene: Ah... Of course. Joy, Nayeon and Wendy can ride with us.

Jacklin: And we'll take the two boys.

Junmyeon: Okay. Let's go.

Everyone scattered around to get in their assigned cars, but I could not move. I was still frozen into place, not knowing how to react.

Jaebum: Seulgi... my car is at the other end of the parking lot.

Seulgi: Ah.

Was all I managed to say. I turned around and followed him to his car. He opened the door for me and I got in.

The first two minutes of the ride were too calm. I even thought that the beating of my heart was audible. It was beating way too hard.

Jaebum: What's wrong?

He finally asked me, breaking the unbearable silence.

Seulgi: Eo?

Jaebum: You look tense. Why are you so nervous?

I unconsciously readjusted my position before replying.

Seulgi: I am just wondering why you wanted us to ride together.

Jaebum: Shireo?

Seulgi: It's not that. I just want to know why you insisted on going with me only.

Jaebum: Ah... I have something important to tell you.

I slightly turned around to be able to see him and waited for him to speak up again.

Jaebum: These past few weeks I had time to think about a lot of things. I wasn't really that busy, but I didn't want to see you and get my judgment clouded.

I was completely confused as to why he would even try to avoid me, but I wanted to let him finish first. He stopped the car on the side of the road and looked back at me.

Jaebum: I was thinking about us. Seulgi... I don't want us to be over for good. I don't want to move on and I don't want you to move on either.

My eyes grew wide at the realization of what was going on.

Jaebum: I know that it may sound rushed, but I really want us to get back to how we were. I am going to do everything to prove to you that I am willing to do things the right way this time.

Seulgi: Jaebum...

Jaebum: You can think about it if it's too sudden. I can wait.

Seulgi: No!

Jaebum: Eo? Seulgi, I'm so-

Seulgi: No, I don't want to wait. I love you and I don't want to continue being separated from you.

It was his turn to look shocked.

Jaebum: Are you serious?

Seulgi: Very much.

He stayed silent for another minute, still staring at me. Then he smiled from ear to ear and leaned in to give me the tightest hug ever.

I immediately hugged him back, loving the feeling of his warm body. Oh, how I had missed it.

Seulgi: What about your mother?

I asked him when we pulled away from the hug. I was sure that I wanted to be with him and no one and nothing could get in the way of this, but I wanted to make sure that he had thought of the situation at least.

Jaebum: Like I told you, I'm ready to do the things the right way this time. I took this time away from you to have a serious conversation with my parents.

I straightened my position once again, getting ready to hear how that had turned out.

Jaebum: I made it clear to my parents that now that I was working and getting on by myself, I wouldn't let them dictate my life choices. Not only about you, but about a lot of various things.

Seulgi: How did they react?

Jaebum: My mother was surprisingly very understanding. I think she was just glad that I started speaking to her again.

He chuckled before slightly shaking his head.

Seulgi: So, what's the situation as of now?

Jaebum: I told them that I was going to get you back and that if you were willing to give our relationship a second chance, I would have new plans about marriage.

Seulgi: Wow. Why were you so direct? Don't forget that your parents only act this way because they want the best for you.

Jaebum: This is not the time to be thinking about them. I made my intentions clear and they agreed to it. My mother even asked me to invite you over if you ever said yes.

I looked at him with a confused look once again.

Seulgi: Said yes to what?

Jaebum: To being my girlfriend again.

Seulgi: Ah... Oh.

I was expecting something else, so I had to admit that I was a little bit disappointed. I had been getting a little ahead of myself.

Jaebum's phone started ringing, taking the both of us out of our little moment. It was Sehun Oppa calling.

Jaebum: Eo, Hyung?... Ah, yes! We just stopped to buy something. We'll be there in five minutes!

He hung up the call and started the engine.

Seulgi: They're already there?!

Jaebum: Mm. I didn't know that it was this close.

He was focused on driving when I slowly took his free hand in mine. He quickly looked at me before smiling.

We stayed silent most of the ride, but it wasn't an uncomfortable silence like earlier. We enjoyed it this time.

When we got to the karaoke, we parked the car next to the Oppas' and exited from it. Jaebum took my hand this time as we walked towards the door.

Seulgi: Do we make it official as soon as we walk in?

Jaebum: I think they're going to guess it pretty accurately.

He said, showing our hands clasped together. I smiled at him, and he immediately responded. As soon as we walked in, my sisters squealed at the view of our hands.

Wendy: Are you back together?!

Irene Eonnie slightly hit Wendy on the arm for pointing it out so loudly.

Jaebum: Yes, we're back together.

Sehun: Ah! That's a good thing to hear!

Junmyeon: We've got another thing to celebrate now. What a day.

We all laughed at Junmyeon Oppa's serious, slash, borderline romantic tone. He sounded so funny.

Nayeon: What are we waiting for?

Everyone laughed at how excited Nayeon was, but we quickly caught on to her energy. Was that the Nayeon effect Joy always talked about?

I smiled at the silly thought.

Jaebum: What are you thinking about?

Seulgi: Eo?... Nothing!

Jaebum: Come on.

The boys took care of everything, and soon we were lead to one of the big karaoke rooms. The whole night was full of laughter. I couldn't even remember when was the last time that we had so much fun all together.

After two short hours, we had to leave because the boys had to work early in the morning. We drove back home the same way we drove to the karaoke bar. Jaebum and I had more time to talk and spend together.

When we got to our apartment complex, the two of us stayed a little longer, talking and catching up on everything.

If Jinyoung had not come and interrupted us, we would have stayed talking even longer.

Jinyoung: Do you want my brother to drive me home so that the two of you can talk some more?

Seulgi: Oh, you don't have to do that! We were done already.

Jinyoung: Are you sure?

Seulgi: Eo. I need to go back home anyway.

I got out of the car.

Seulgi: Text me when you're home.

Jaebum: Okay. I'll stop by tomorrow after work.

Seulgi: Bye, Jinyoung!

Jinyoung: Bye, Noona.

I walked inside the building and rode the elevator with a noticeable smile on my face. I had walked out of the building earlier upset and confused, and I walked back in full of happy thoughts.

Seulgi: I'm home!

I made my way to the living room, but no one was there. I checked the girls' rooms and found that everyone was already in bed.

Seulgi: Did we really take that much time?

I walked into mine and Wendy's room and found her sitting down on her bed, reading a book.

Seulgi: You're not sleeping?

Wendy: I need to finish this chapter for next week, but I want to get it over with beforehand.

Seulgi: Woah... Now I know why you're so good at school.

Wendy: Ah, Eonnie...

I changed into my pajamas and jumped on my bed.

Wendy: It's nice to see you smile like that.

I looked at my sister and realized that I had been smiling the whole time without even knowing. It made me smile even more.

Wendy: Is this what love does to you? Wow, that's scary.

Seulgi: Yah!

I threw one of my pillows at her before laughing. It sure had been a happy day.

A few days later when I came back home from school, I was excited to hear about all the fun things that Joy had done on her first day of training. She was so happy when she left home that morning.

When I walked in the living room, I was faced with a completely different atmosphere than the one I had been expecting.

My father was on the sofa while Wendy, Joy and Irene Eonnie surrounded him. The sight was quite alarming. As if they were having a very serious conversation.

Seulgi: What happened? Where is Yeri?

I asked as I rushed to my sisters' side.

Appa: Sit down with your sisters. I have something to tell you.

My father's face was closed and serious as if he was trying to contain himself. But from doing what?

I sat down on the floor and sent a few looks to my sisters but none of them seemed to know what was going on.

Appa: Yeri is sleeping at her friend's house tonight.

He said, answering one of our many silent questions.

Appa: I called you all in because I have some bad news.

Irene: Appa, what is going on? You're scaring us...

My father heaved a sigh signaling that it was very hard for him to tell us the news in question.

Appa: I got a call from the Seoul Police Department this morning, and they told me that there was a car accident last night.

He stopped for a while, then continued after taking a short breath.

Appa: The accident left the person dead. They found my number in the car's owner so they called me.

Joy: Oh my God!

Wendy: Was it someone we knew?

Appa: Yes... It was... your mother.