Letting Go

Mr. Kim's Daughters

 

+Irene's POV+

 

 

Jaebum and Seulgi had officially broken up for a week, and she was surprisingly coping well, so I wondered if she was not just trying to put on a brave face for us.

She did not want to talk about it, so we just did not bring up the subject. She seemed to be sure of her choice and then again who are we to judge her choice?

I was on my way to work after spending the entire morning at school. Since it was my last semester, things were pretty hectic for me. I had so many things to do before I was officially done with university.

I started looking for a full time job, and all I can say is that it was not an easy task. I hoped to find something before graduating.

At that time, Sehun and I were at our best. We really got along and were back to the honeymoon phase that had always defined our relationship. It almost felt like we had just started dating.

I was really happy, but at the same time every time I thought about Seulgi, I felt guilty. Should I be this happy while she is probably having a hard time?; I kept asking myself. These types of questions kept popping in my head and I could not manage to stop them.

We had not heard from Jaebum since the day they broke up, and Wendy tried to keep us up to date with Jinyoung's help, but all we knew was that he had left Seoul for a little while. We did not know exactly where he was and what he was doing.

There were also two other people I had not seen at all, that same week: Junmyeon and Jacklin. I didn't know where they had left to, but they were never home when I stopped by, after work, and Sehun tried to contact Junmyeon, to no avail.

The two first times, we thought they were just at Junmyeon's family home, but one night, Sehun called Sungjae out of concern, and we found out that they had not heard from them either, since the the day of the big fight. A fight we, of course, knew nothing of because we were too busy acting like kids.

Sungjae told us everything and we realized how much of an ugly family mess it had become. I still, to this day, cannot imagine what Jacklin felt at that moment, when she was literally thrown out of that house. Jun must have had a hard time too.

After my night shift, I quickly gathered my stuff, ready to go home. I stopped by the family's apartment first to see Seulgi, but the girls told me that she had planned to study late at the library.

I took a quick shower before cooking for Sehun. He had been feeling a little unwell for a few days, so I made him some soup. Sometimes it felt like we were already married and frankly, I liked it.

I finished cooking then settled everything on the counter, neatly covered to keep it warm. I made my way to the sofa and plopped myself on it, before taking my phone and dialing Sehun's number.

Sehun: Yeoboseyeo?

Irene: Eo, naya. What are you doing?

Sehun: Still working... I am so tired.

Irene: Are you feeling any better?

Sehun: Not really. I can't even keep my eyes open.

Irene: Aish... When will you be done?

Sehun: I still have a meeting with an entertainment agency about their summer party.

Irene: What company makes meeting appointments at 10 p.m.?

Sehun: It's one small company called SM Entertainment.

Irene: SM? Seems like I heard that name somewhere before.

Sehun: They manage many artists you've probably never heard of. Anyways, it will take me at least an hour, so don't wait for me. I'll be home late.

Irene: Are you sure you can drive like that?

Sehun: I'll manage, don't worry.

Irene: Alright... Wake me up when you get home. I love you.

Sehun: You know I won't. I love you too.

I laughed at his remark and wished him good luck for his meeting before running back to our room to get changed. I put all the food in two meal boxes and made my way to the family apartment once again.

Irene: Dad, can I borrow your car for an hour?

Mr. Kim: At this hour? Where are you heading to?

Irene: It's a secret! I'll bring your keys before midnight! Love you!

I rode the elevator down to the parking lot then loaded the food on the back seat before jumping in the driver's seat. I drove to SeoulTech university first, because I had an important task to complete there first. I made my way to the library and silently walked in the hallways, looking for Seulgi.

I spotted her after five minutes, and made my way towards her. She lifted her head up from her books as soon as I sat in front of her.

Seulgi: Eonnie?! What are you doing here?

Irene: Came to cheer you up in your studies! I know how hard finals are.

I confidently put the lunch box on the table.

Seulgi: Oh? What's that?

Irene: Your dinner. Knowing you, I am sure you skipped it to study some more, so here it is.

Seulgi: Ah...

Irene: Eat it while studying if you want, but at least eat. I'll come pick you up in an hour and a half.

Seulgi: Eonnie, kwenchana. I'll take the last bus home.

Irene: What will happen if you miss the bus? I'll be at the front door in an hour and a half, so study hard in the meantime! Ittabwa!

I left the building and went back to the car, departing for my next destination. Once I got there, I walked into the familiar building and to the front desk.

"Ah, Miss Kim. Welcome!" The receptionist said, greeting me.

Irene: How are you Sungah-shi?

Sungah: I am good, thank you. President Oh is in a meeting, but he is supposed to finish in twenty minutes.

Irene: It's okay, I'll wait for him in his office. Could you tell his secretary that I am on my way up?

Sungah: Dae. Go ahead.

I smiled at the woman and made my way to the elevator. His office door was open, so I walked in and settled the lunchbox on the table before sending him a text message. I knew that he was going to check his cellphone first thing after the meeting.

IR: Call me as soon as you finish. Important!

I knew the word 'Important' worried him a great deal and that was why I used it: to make sure he called me as soon as he was done.

After waiting for twenty five minutes, my phone finally rang and I picked it up right away.

Sehun: What's wrong?

Irene: Hm? Nothing. What are you doing right now?

Sehun: I'm on my way to my office. What was that text about, then?

Irene: Ah, that? It's already passed, it's not important.

Sehun: Why aren't you sleeping?

I heard someone's steps coming this way, so I lowered my voice.

Irene: I couldn't sleep.

Sehun: Why are you whispering?

Irene: I got to go now. I'll see you later.

I hung up and put my phone in my pocket before slowly walking to the door. I stood in front of it and waited for him to open it. When I saw the door knob moving, I opened my arms wide, ready to welcome him with a hug.

When he opened the door he was still staring at his phone screen, so he didn't see me. After closing the door behind him, he finally lifted his head and saw me.

Sehun: Woah! You scared me... What are you doing here?

Irene: Surprise! Tonight, I am your special driver! I am here to safely take you home.

Sehun: Huh?... You didn't have to do that, baby. I was going to rest a bit then drive.

Irene: That would have meant coming home even later, and not having dinner with me. I don't want that.

I approached him and took his hand in mine.

Irene: Come on, I brought you some food.

He smiled and followed me to his desk. His eyes widened when he opened the lunchbox.

Sehun: How am I going to eat all of this?

Irene: You need to eat to get better.

Sehun: Thank you.

He said after a few minutes. I looked at him, surprised by the sudden soft tone of his voice.

Irene: You don't have to thank me for anything.

We looked at each other and smiled.

Irene: Ah yes, we have to hurry. We have to pick Seulgi at the library in a few.

Sehun: I'll drive.

Irene: No way.

 

 

+Seulgi's POV+

 

 

I was at the library's entrance, waiting for Irene Eonnie to come get me. It was already very dark outside, but I felt at ease for some reason.

At that period, being home was scarier and harder to live than being outside like that. At home, I felt like I had to be more joyful than I usually was, before it all happened. Under the night sky, I got the sense that the outside world was finally matching with my inner self: Darkness all around.

Sad, I know.

Irene: Kim Seulgi, come on!

I looked away from the sky and in the direction of the voice, then ran to the car when I saw it. I was surprised to see Sehun Oppa in the backseat.

Seulgi: Oppa, how are you?

I asked him, as I jumped in the passenger's seat.

Sehun: Good. How are you?

Seulgi: You don't look that good. Are you sick?

Sehun: Thank you for the honesty. I appreciate it.

Irene Eonnie and I laughed together, before she started the car.

Irene: Did you eat everything?

Seulgi: Yes, I did. It was very good, thank you.

Irene: You're welcome.

We all stayed silent for a few minutes.

Irene: He is exhausted.

I looked away from the window, to ask who she was talking about.

She turned around and pointed at the back. I followed her finger and saw Sehun Oppa asleep.

Seulgi: He looks sick.

Irene: He is. He has the incurable disease of stubbornness. Ha-ha.

I chuckled and turned back to the window.

Irene: Are you okay?

Seulgi: Hm?... Eo.

Irene: Be honest. I'm not going to judge you if you're not. No one is going to.

Seulgi: Eonnie... it's...

I stayed silent, not really knowing how to express what I was feeling, without sounding depressed. Maybe I was.

Irene: Tell me.

I looked ahead before sighing heavily.

Seulgi: I feel like I could break down whenever someone mentions him.

She stayed silent.

Seulgi: Everyday I try to convince myself that I'm getting better, but it's not working. I feel as bad as I did on the first day. I don't get why we had to get to that point of no turning back. I don't get how his mother could not accept our love. Was it that shameful to have a girl like me as a daughter in law?

She didn't say anything and just let me talk, frequently looking at me

Seulgi: Then again, what am I so surprised about? My own mother didn't want to be around me.

Irene: Seulgi!

Seulgi: What? It's true! It's partially because I didn't have a mother that his mother didn't want me as a daughter in law. I thought... I thought that I could give her the respect and love of a daughter, but I forgot that you cannot give back what you weren't even given to begin with.

Irene: I... hate seeing you like that.

I was crying by the time I finished talking. It was uncontrollable at that point and I was completely breaking down.

Irene: Seulgi...

Irene Eonnie stopped the car on the side of the road and hugged me. She also cried as she held me tight.

Irene: All the love that you're looking for has always been around you. In the girls, in Appa... in me. You have no idea how much we love you, Seulgi. Don't ever let people who don't know you, make you think that you're not good enough. Never.

Seulgi: Eonnie.

I cried some more in her embrace before she slowly broke apart.

Irene: Please cry whenever you feel like it. Don't hold back in front of us. Okay?

She wiped my tears away and held my hands.

Seulgi: I'm okay...

Irene: Seulgi... you're obviously not okay. Do you want to sleep at my apartment tonight?

Seulgi: Won't it bother Oppa?

She quickly looked in the rear view mirror before vigorously shaking her head no.

Irene: Don't worry about it... Let's go.

She started the car again and drove to our apartment complex. She woke Sehun Oppa up and told him to go up with me while she went home to hand the car keys back to my dad.

Surprisingly he did not ask why I was going up with him and just lead the way.

Sehun: You can take a shower in this bathroom. I'll bring you some of your sister's clothes to wear to sleep.

He said when we walked into the apartment.

Seulgi: Thank you, Oppa.

He smiled and left to his room after showing me the way to the bathroom.

I took a hot shower and found some clothes neatly placed on the guestroom's bed. I made my way out to the living room after getting changed.

Irene Eonnie wasn't back yet, which was weird. I wondered what she was doing home that took that much time.

Sehun Oppa was sat at the sofa, working with his laptop.

Sehun: Are you done?

He asked me when I walked in.

Seulgi: Eo... where is Eonnie?

Sehun: I think she stopped at Jun and Lin's place to see if they are home. She should be back in a few.

I awkwardly stood up next to him, not knowing what to do.

Sehun: Why are you standing up? Ha-ha. You can sit down.

Seulgi: I'm sorry for being so awkward tonight.

Sehun: Awkward? I didn't realize.

He chuckled and closed his laptop before looking at me.

Sehun: Want to have a night snack?

Seulgi: Eonnie hates it.

Sehun: That's why we have to eat quickly.

We both laughed and made our way to the kitchen.

 

 

+Jacklin's POV+

 

 

Jacklin: Jun! Can you help me with this?

Junmyeon: What?

Jacklin: I don't know where to wear this thing. Do I have to put it on my head or around my waist?

Junmyeon: Ha-ha. How are you going to put that around your waist, baby? Here.

He neatly tied the piece of fabric on my head like a hair band and smiled at me.

Junmyeon: Do not put anything around your waist. I don't want our little peanut right there to feel stuffed.

I chuckled as he put a hand on my stomach.

Junmyeon: Come on, they are waiting for us.

Jacklin: Let's go.

We walked out of the room and joined everyone in the living room.

Junmyeon: We're ready to go, Halmoni!

Halmoni: Aigo! Lin, you look absolutely gorgeous in that Hanbok.

Jacklin: Oh, thank you Halmoni.

Harabuji: You've found a beautiful young lady, Jun.

Junmyeon: I know, you've been repeating this for the past week. Ha-ha.

Halmoni: It's because it's true! Come on, let's go.

We followed his grandparents outside to the car. While everyone was looking for us, we had been in Jejudo the whole time, visiting them.

After everything that had happened, we just needed to leave somewhere and forget about all the stress, so he had suggested to visit his family.

I was nervous at first but they welcomed me so warmly. I was so surprised. They were all so nice.

Jun didn't want to hide anything, to avoid any confusion in the future, so he told them about our child.

At first they were taken aback, but they quickly recovered and his grandfather immediately took me under his wing. His grandmother told me not to worry about what his mother had said, and that everything would be fine soon.

I felt so relieved.

We were on our way to a family dinner and I wanted to wear a Hanbok for her. I wanted to show them that I was really willing to try and adapt to their culture and customs.

Jacklin: Jun, maybe we should call Sehun and Irene to let them know that we're still alive.

Junmyeon: Ha-ha. Baby, I don't think they think we're dead. Sungjae told me that they went to the house looking for us, and he told them about the... fight. Sehun is my best friend and he knows me very well. I think he already knows where I am.

Jacklin: You talked with Sungjae? How are things at home?

Junmyeon: I didn't ask. Come on, let's go.

I looked at him as he walked away and sighed before following him.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Hello my dear readers! I am so sorry for the wait! I know that this chapter may look like a filler, but it is not. I just didn't want to give too much in just one chapter, so the next one will be way better. I am so sorry again for making you guys wait for so long!

I was kind of fangirling about KaiStal ( I LOVE THEM) for about a week then I had to study for my exams... Ha-ha. Now I am completely free so I am working on the end of this story and already writing a new one, so be prepared!

Thank you so much for reading my story! I love every single one of you!! XOXO!