Paint A Smile

Mr. Kim's Daughters

 

 

Irene, Sehun, Joy and Jacklin had been sitting in the living room for almost an hour, thinking about the best way for her and Junmyeon to meet. They had to act faster than planned, now that Junmyeon was moving away.

Although they had been thinking hard and long, none of them had come up with a solid plan yet.

Sehun: You know what? Why do we need a plan?

Irene: What do you mean?

Sehun: Lin, you're back and you want him back. What else should we be thinking about? All you have to do is go there and tell him that.

Everyone looked at Sehun, slowly realizing that it in fact made a lot of sense.

Sehun: The rest will eventually be up to him, but all you have to do is tell him how you feel. I might not have been around him a lot lately, but there's one thing I'll always be certain of, and that is how much he misses and loves you.

Joy: That's true. The way he acted and talked earlier was another proof of that. I thought he was going to breakdown in front of his family. He looked so sad.

Jacklin heaved a sigh before burying her face inside her hands. Irene slightly patted her back before turning to her sister.

Irene: Joy, do you know when Junmyeon comes back from work today?

Joy: Mm... He usually comes home around 5p.m. on Thursdays.

Irene: Okay, that's two hours away.

Irene replied as she checked the time on her watch.

Sehun: Okay. How do you want to proceed?

Jacklin: Huh... I want to go wait for him in his condo.

Irene: For two whole hours?

Jacklin: No, I'll go when he'll get here. Maybe we can ask the doorman or the janitor to notify us when they see Junmyeon's car parking in.

Sehun: I'll take care of that. I'll be back in a minute.

Sehun grabbed his jacket and walked out of the apartment, leaving the three girls alone.

Joy: Well... I'm going back home.

Joy stood up and straightened her outfit before waving the girls goodbye.

Jacklin: Thank you again, Joy! You helped a lot.

Joy: You're welcome. I'm glad to see you here with us, Eonnie.

Irene: Hey! You're going to forget your mail! Why did you come up with it anyway?

Joy: Ah! I forgot to open it yesterday and I was rushing this morning too, so I thought I would open it after lunch. I always forget!

Irene: Here. Open it now so that you won't forget to, once at home.

Joy: Mm.

Joy grabbed the few envelopes and opened them one by one. Most of them were letters from shops and restaurants part time jobs she had applied for, a few weeks back, but none was concluding.

When she opened the last one, she was far from imagining what she would be reading.

Joy: Oh my God... Oh my God!

Irene: Bwo?! Wae geurhae?

Joy: I got in... I got in, Eonnie!

Irene: Got in what?

Joy: Starship entertainment! It's the company I really wanted to join! They took me in!

Jacklin: Oh my God! Joy, this is wonderful! Congratulations!

Irene: Congratulations, my baby! I'm so proud of you!

Irene and Jacklin stood up and went to give Joy a group hug. She was so happy that she started crying in her sister's arms.

Jacklin: Aigo... She must have been so worried about it.

Jacklin said as she gently rubbed Joy's back, trying to calm her down. Irene also had tears in her eyes, but she tried hard not to cry in front of her sister.

It made Jacklin smile to see Irene try so hard to be tough, when she was in fact the biggest crybaby she knew.

Jacklin: You have to let everyone know! They will be so happy for you!

Joy: Eo...

Sehun: What happened?

Sehun asked when he walked back in. He had been alarmed by the sound of sobs coming from his apartment.

Joy: Oppa, I got in... I got in!

Sehun: Which one?... STARSHIP?!

Joy nodded her head before smiling at Sehun.

Sehun: Joy! Congratulations, kiddo! I knew you had it in you!

Joy: Thank you, Oppa! I can't wait to tell Nayeon! I'm going to text her!

She said and grabbed her phone.

Irene: Is everything settled downstairs?

Sehun: Yes, I will get a text message as soon as Jun walks through the door.

Irene: Okay, good. Now, all we have to do is wait.

Jacklin: Mm.

Irene: It will be fine. Don't worry.

 

 

+Joy's POV+

 

 

After I left my sister's apartment, the first thing I did was run to Nayeon's building. She wasn't picking her phone up so I had decided to pay her a visit instead.

I called her apartment number and waited for someone to answer.

Nayeon: Yes?

Joy: It's me! I have something to tell you! Can I come up?

Nayeon: I was on my way out. Wait for me downstairs!

Joy: Arrasseo! Hurry down.

Nayeon: Eo!

I stood next to the door with my letter in hand. I kept reading and reading that phrase again.

"We are pleased to welcome you as one of the new trainees of STARSHIP Entertainment."

I still couldn't believe that the company of my dreams had accepted me in.

Joy: Charhaesseo, Joy! Good job!

I said, congratulating myself. I was so drawn to the letter that I didn't realize that Nayeon stood next to me.

Nayeon: What's that?

She asked me, her voice startling me in the process.

Joy: Ah... It's a letter. Are you free right now?

Nayeon: I have an appointment in an hour, but yes I am free until then.

Joy: Sweet! Come on, I'm treating you to coffee!

I grabbed her hand and pulled her to the little English street near our residences, and towards a popular cafe.

We got in and sat at one of their booths, at the far left corner. Soon enough a waitress came to take our orders.

Joy: I will have an Ice Americano.

Nayeon: I will have the same thing.

I smiled at her and showed her the letter when we finished ordering our drinks.

Nayeon: What is it?

She asked again, looking at the letter in my hand.

Joy: Like I told you, it's a letter. From Starship entertainment. I got in, Nayeon!

She looked uninterested at first, but as soon as I finished talking, her eyes grew wide in realization.

Nayeon: Oh mon Dieu! Félicitations, Joy!

Joy: Huh?

Nayeon: Oh, Mian! My French naturally comes out whenever I'm really shocked or surprised. Chukkahae, Joy-ah!

Joy: Thank you!

I was expecting her to tell me that she had received one too, but she didn't talk afterwards. She just smiled at me and typed something on her phone.

Joy: Did you get one too?

Nayeon: Ah... Yes, I got it from JYPE yesterday. They didn't take me in, this time around.

Joy: Oh... I'm so sorry, Nayeon! I shouldn't have asked about it. I'm sorry!

Nayeon: Ah, ani! Don't worry about me! The only thing that bums me is the fact that I will probably have to go back to France.

Joy: What?! Why?

Nayeon: Well, the deal with my parents was for me to get into an entertainment company if I really wanted to stay in Korea. Even if I get accepted into another agency, I would get in just for the sake of staying in Korea. My dream was to get into JYPE.

Joy: Nayeon... Your dream is to become a singer. Don't you think that the most important thing is that you will get a chance so many would kill for? You could be trained by the best people in the industry and come out as a great artist.

Nayeon: My deadline is this Friday, meaning tomorrow. If by then I don't have another option, my parents will send a plane ticket for me.

She said.

Nayeon: I didn't get a response from any other entertainment companies, and I didn't audition for that many, truth be told. My options are not that wide.

Joy: Who responded already?

Nayeon: Cube and now JYP.

Joy: Good. You still have SM, Starship and J-Tunes! You will get into one of these, I am sure!

Nayeon: Mm... Maybe.

She looked and sounded defeated. We sipped our drinks in silence for a while before she spoke again.

Nayeon: I got to go if I don't want to be late.

Joy: Oh, okay. It's on me, don't worry.

Nayeon: Thank you. I'll text you later. See you.

Joy: Bye!

It didn't look like my Nayeon at all to be so dejected.

I finished my drink and made my way over to the counter to pay the bill. I left a generous tip because I felt like it. I was happy.

As I walked back to our residence, I saw Junmyeon driving in.

Joy: Mm? Why is he here at this hour?

I searched for my phone in my pockets but it was nowhere to be found. I realized that I had left it at my sister's apartment when I rushed out.

Joy: Oh, no no no!

I sprinted towards the residence, not thinking about it for even a second more.

Joy: Ahjussi, please tell Sehun Oppa that Junmyeon Oppa just drove in! Ppalli!

I told the doorman while I ran to the elevator. I pushed the button, but the machine took too much time to come down, and I could already see Junmyeon Oppa walking in the building from the parking entrance.

After what seemed like a lifetime, the lift finally came. I turned to the doorman and motioned for him to stop Junmyeon for a little while, before I jumped in. As soon as I got to the floor, I sprinted to my sister's apartment and frantically knocked at the door.

Irene: Who is it? Joy? What's wrong?

Joy: Oppa- Oppa- Oppa is here!

I said, panting like I had just ran a marathon against Usain Bolt.

Jacklin: What?

Sehun: Jun is here! I just got the text. Hyunjoon Hyung is trying to win us some time, but we have to hurry!

Jacklin: What?! But I'm not ready! I'm not dressed up, I'm- I am not ready!

Irene: Jacklin! Calm down! You're going to be fine. You know why you're here, so focus on that only.

Sehun: We don't have much time left. We have to go now!

Joy: Let's go!

Irene and Jacklin Eonnies stood up and went out of the apartment without changing their shoes.

Sehun: He is going for the elevator. Let's take the stairs. Hurry up!

Joy: I have to run again?! Oh, man!

Without waiting any further we all went for the stairs and jumped the steps two by two.

Sehun Oppa grabbed the keys from his pocket and opened the door before pushing Jacklin Eonnie in.

Irene: Don't panic. Everything will be alright.

Joy: This is the moment, Eonnie. I believe in you!

Sehun: We're rooting for you, Lin-ah. Don't worry.

Jacklin: Thank you. Thank you.

She repeated endlessly. It was clear in her voice that she was scared.

Sehun: We have to go now.

Irene: We love you, Lin-ah! Fighting!

The three of us ran back to the staircase just in time. We heard the elevator's ding just as we disappeared through the door.

 

 

+Junmyeon's POV+

 

 

I made my way to my apartment while looking at the magazine full of coupons that our doorman had insisted for me to take.

I walked in without looking at where I was going. It was after I had closed the door behind me that I realized that someone else was in the apartment.

I looked up from the magazine and immediately turned around.

My heart skipped a beat when I saw the person who stood before me.

Junmyeon: Jac- Jacklin...

She tried smiling at me but tears started flooding out of her eyes. I didn't know what to do.

Jacklin: Hi.

Junmyeon: I- I...

She quickly wiped her tears away and closed the distance between us, to engulf me into a tight embrace.

Jacklin: I've missed you.

She said as she rested her head on my shoulder.

I stayed still, not knowing what to do. I still couldn't believe that she was in my arms.

As she started pulling away from the hug, I got back to my senses and stopped her from doing so. I held her back. I held her tight and closed my eyes as I rested my head against hers.

Junmyeon: Are you really here or am I dreaming?

I whispered. She slightly giggled before readjusting her head on my shoulder.

Jacklin: I'm here. And I don't plan on leaving any time soon.

I slowly pulled away and held her face in my hands as I looked at her.

Junmyeon: I can't believe you're here.

Jacklin: You've lost weight.

She said as she scanned my face with her eyes.

Junmyeon: When did you get here?

Jacklin: This morning. I haven't even unpacked yet, that's why I look this bad.

I smiled and shook my head at her. I passed a hand through her curly blond hair.

Junmyeon: You look beautiful. Who knew about this?

Jacklin: Joy. I surprised Irene and Sehun too.

Junmyeon: Joy? I was with her at lunch.

Jacklin: I was hiding at Sehun and Irene's apartment. I was supposed to take a shower and get ready, but you came earlier than planned.

Junmyeon: Ah, yeah... I wasn't feeling too well, so I decided to come home.

Jacklin: Joy came running in and told us that you were here. You should have seen her. Ha-ha.

Junmyeon: So that's why Hyungjoon Hyung gave me this? He was buying time for you?

Jacklin: I guess. Everyone helped as much as they could.

We sat down on my sofa.

Junmyeon: Why? Why did you decide to come back now?

Jacklin: I wasn't planning on coming back, that's why I didn't call or text for the past six months. I really wanted you to go back to having a peaceful life with your family.

She held my hands in hers. I looked down for a second before shifting my gaze back to her face.

Jacklin: I tried hard to forget about my life with you... But it didn't work. I kept having these dreams replaying the day I left. And when Irene and Sehun came to visit a month ago-

Junmyeon: That's where they were?

Jacklin: I thought everyone knew by now.

Junmyeon: Actually, I haven't seen them since they came back...

Jacklin: Jun... That's not good.

Junmyeon: I know... I haven't been the greatest of friends, for the past months.

Jacklin: So I've heard. Me neither. But we're going to fix all of this now. We're lucky to have very very understanding friends. Ha-ha.

I couldn't stop staring at her. I missed everything about her.

Junmyeon: Are you really staying?

Jacklin: Only if you want me to.

She said as she smiled at me.

Jacklin: I heard about the big news. Japan, huh?

Junmyeon: Ah... I couldn't even dream that you would come back to me.

Jacklin: We'll figure all of this out later. The most important thing is for you to get along with your family.

Junmyeon: Are you really trying to go back there again?

Jacklin: Jun, we'll do things the right way this time. I'm going to work hard for your mother to be at ease around me. One thing is for sure, I'm not leaving again.

Junmyeon: Promise me...

Jacklin: I promise.

She scooted closer to me and threw her arms around my neck, hugging me once again.

Jacklin: Let's go see everyone!

Junmyeon: Later. I want to stay like this for a little while.

Jacklin: Ah... Alright.

We stayed silent for a while and didn't move from our position.

After a few more minutes, we both leaned against the sofa and made small talk. We laughed at the things we did because we'd missed each other.

It was a really good time and I was so glad I came home earlier than planned. When I woke up that morning, I thought that my day was going to be as dull and long as they had all been for the past six months.

I didn't know that I would have ended up being so happy.

Jacklin: So. Can I move back in?

Junmyeon: Are you seriously asking me that?

I cupped her face in my hands.

Jacklin: Just making sure! Ha-ha.

She leaned in and left a quick peck on my lips before turning around.

Jacklin: I really got to go grab my luggage and take a shower. I stink!

Junmyeon: No, you don't. But sure, let's go.

We walked out of my apartment hand in hand, and that was when I realized that she was wearing home slippers.

Junmyeon: Do I want to know what happened?

Jacklin: Nope!

I chuckled and held her hand tighter as we made our way to our friends' condo. We waited a few seconds after ringing the bell for someone to come open the door.

Sehun: May I help you?

Sehun asked as he opened it.

Sehun: Oh my God! Jacklin?! What are you doing here?

He started faking, probably not aware that I knew everything already. Jacklin and I laughed before I spoke.

Junmyeon: She told me everything already, so stop acting! And your acting is bad, by the way.

Sehun: My acting is so not bad! Ha-ha! Come in!

As we walked in, we found Irene watching TV while laying on the couch. She had a blanket covering most of her body.

Jacklin: Are you feeling sick again?

Jacklin asked as she rushed to Irene's side. Again? Had she been sick lately?

Irene: I'm just a little cold. But I'm feeling tired, so I will be able to sleep well tonight. How did it work?

She asked Jacklin. She did not seem to have seen me until I came and kneeled next to the couch.

Irene: Oh! It worked? Are you two okay again?

She asked, sitting up.

Sehun: Baby, take it easy.

Junmyeon: Eo... We're okay. Thanks to all of you.

I said as I looked at Jacklin.

Irene: Well, that was easier than I thought!

Jacklin: Wait... You kept saying that everything was going to be fine!

Irene: Girl, I wanted to boost your confidence! If you had walked in there with such low expectations, what would have happened?

We all laughed but Irene looked really serious.

Junmyeon: I think you should rest. You look really sick.

Irene: Yah! I'm okay!

Junmyeon: If you say so. But it would be best if you rested a little more.

Irene: Aish, why is everyone nagging me! I'm an adult, I know what I'm doing!

Sehun: No you don't. Let people be worried for you for once. It's a sign of love.

Junmyeon: I missed seeing this. I'm so-

I started saying but was interrupted by Irene.

Irene: If any of you two say the word Sorry again, I will really get mad!

Sehun: Can you two stop apologizing to us? It makes us look like we've been mad at you for the worst things.

Jacklin: They're a little bit tired of hearing it. I've been saying it a bit too much. Ha-ha!

Irene: Not a little bit. A lot!

Jacklin: The most important thing is that from now on, we're going to rebuild this friendship. The four of us, together.

She looked at us one by one.

Sehun: No need.

Sehun said.

Irene: Because it was never broken.

Irene finished for him as she stood up. She pulled Jacklin up with her and hugged her.

Irene: Everything will be fine from now on.

She continued.

I looked at my friends, then at Jacklin, and for the first time in months I knew that it was true. Everything was going to be fine. As long as I had these people with me.