Protecting her. Step 3.

I Think I Love You...?

Ji Eun closed her locker, surprised to find that Hee Young was standing right next to her.

"Aish! You scared me." Ji Eun exclaimed, but the sour look on Hee Young's face didn't change. She took a step toward her.

"I heard that you got invited to 2PM's party, isn't that right?" she spat. Ji Eun's eyes widened.

"H-How...how did you know--"

"It's called internet, Ji Eun." she growled. "Stop flirting with Wooyoung because he's mine! You can never take him away from me. I'm way prettier than you and way more talented than you, so if I were you I would just buzz of before you get hurt." Hee Young was now inches from her face, and Ji Eun could feel tears well up in her eyes. Internet? That party...was featured on the internet? Before Hee Young could sputter another word, Wooyoung appeared behind her.

"Wooyoung..." Ji Eun started, and when Hee Young heard his name, she turned around and put on a plastic smile.

"Oh, hello Wooyoung? How have you--"

"Go away, brat." he spat.

"What?" Ji Eun and Hee Young said together.

"I said go away. Your days of bullying Ji Eun are over you know why?"

"W-Why?" Hee Young stammered.

"Because I'm going to protect her from you, got it?" Wooyoung waved his hands. "Now go away." Quickly, Hee Young rushed away not daring to look back. When Wooyoung turned and faced Ji Eun.

"Yah, you okay?" he asked her, his voice in concern. Although Ji Eun was grateful that Wooyoung 'saved' her, she was still mad.

"Why didn't you tell me that your party was going on the internet." she asked him, not daring to look at his face.

"What? What are you talking about?" he asked. Ji Eun sighed. How could she stay mad at a guy like him?

"Sorry, I really am grateful that you saved me. But, the only reason that Hee Young did that is because she knows about that party from the internet." she explained.

"Oh. Ji Eun, sorry. I totally forgot that reporters were going to be at the party." Wooyoung said. Ji Eun smiled small.

"Its okay..." she looked up at him. Suddenly the principal walked up to both of them.

"Ji Eun?" he said.

"Oh, annyeonghaseyo. What is it?" she asked. The prinicipal frowned.

"Your mother had a heart attack." Ji Eun's eyes widened.

"What?!"

~~~

Wooyoung had followed Ji Eun to the hospital. He asked permission if he could be excused from school and go with Ji Eun to visit her mom, but the principal had said no, but Ji Eun pleaded as well and he had let them go. They were sitting outside of the hospital room of Ji Eun's mother waiting. After a while, Ji Eun spoke.

"I never knew that my mother had heart problems..." she said a loud.

"What?" Wooyoung said bewildered.

"Ever since...my father died, she has been so quiet and never tells me anything anymore." she explained.

"Your father died?" he asked, but then bit his tongue. Why am I being to annoying to her!? She smiled as if she knew what he was thinking.

"Yeah he did. It was last year. He had a car accident, from being drunk. And my mother had never recovered. It was because of their fight before then that he had gone out to a club, gotten drunk, and drove himself straight into an accident." Wooyoung heard Ji Eun choke on her tears as if trying to hide them from him. He put his arm around her shoulders.

"It's going to be okay. Just let your feelings out. I'm right here." And without hesitation, Ji Eun hugged him and started sobbing so hard that Wooyoung felt tears on his back, but he didn't care. He her hair and they sat there. This reminded him of when Ji Eun had come in late and some girls had said something about her father. And when Ji Eun had puked in the bathroom and Wooyoung had been there to caress her and bring her courage back.

It was a few long hours, before the doctor said that the patient was okay, but had to stay for a little while. Ji Eun and Wooyoung entered the room and found Ji Eun's mother sleeping on the hospital bed. Soon enough, her eyes opened and landed on Ji Eun.

"Ji Eun..." her mother said softly.

"Mom why didn't you tell me?" she said. Her mother smiled.

"Because I knew you would worry like this. And that you would've missed a week of school just to care for me. And I couldn't let that happen. Ji Eun, fulfill your dream. You don't have to worry about me. Just keep on believing. It's what your father would've wanted." Wooyoung saw that Ji Eun flinched when her mother mentioned her father, but he didn't say anything. Then Ji Eun's mother laid her eyes on Wooyoung.

"Wooyoung, isn't it?" she asked. Wooyoung nodded.

"Care for my Ji Eun. You know I've always hoped that she would meet a boy. Someone who would watch over her for me..."

"Mom..." Ji Eun's eyes teared up again.

"Just promise me...that you'll care for her. No matter what." she reached out for his hand and he took it and nodded.

"I promise." Ji Eun looked surprised, but she smiled at him. They stayed there for a couple more hours, until Wooyoung had to leave. Taecyeon would probably scold him for missing school. Ji Eun understood and told him that they would see eachother tomorrow. As Wooyoung exited the hospital, he saw Taecyeon's car outside.

"Taecyeon. What are you doing here?" Wooyoung asked. Taecyeon had a frown on his face.

"Why did you skip school?" he asked him. Wooyoung was startled at his tone of voice.

"I-I..." But then Taecyeon started laughing. He went up to Wooyoung and patted him on the back.

"It's okay. I know about Ji Eun." Taecyeon told him. Wooyoung shrugged his arm off.

"Yah, I thought I was in trouble." Wooyoung said.

"I know, that's what made it so funny." Taecyeon teased. And they both laughed. They stood there for a moment until Taecyeon said, "It seems like you really like this girl, huh."

"W-what?" Wooyoung surprised at the comment.

"Come on Wooyoung. It is so obvious that you like Ji Eun. I mean you gave up school for her."

"Well....yeah...I guess" Wooyoung admitted. "But..I don't even know if she'll like me back."

"Are you joking? You're Wooyoung! You even said so" Taecyeon reminded him.

"Yeah I know...but Ji Eun seems so different." Wooyoung said. And Taecyeon smiled at him.

"Yah, don't make me feel pity for you. It's all good. Why don't you tell her how you feel?" he suggested.

"Are you crazy?"

"Yes, I am. But its worth it. You thoought my other idea was not going to work, but look at you! You've already fallen for a girl. Ask her out on a date. And if she doesn't feel the same way, then can you tell me that I really am crazy." Wooyoung stared at him but agreed.

"Fine. I'll ask her out." And that's really when I'll find out if your plan really did work.