35: A Mother's Mistake

Living as a Vampire III

 

In the underground of BBS's headquarter, the current director of the headquarters went to the chamber to have a brief meeting with Catharine about their plans. He walked nonchalantly as he fixed his tie and opened the door of briefing room where Catharine is already in there, looking at the glowing sphere in an ancient chalice through the large glass.

 

As a former agent of RHA, Michael knew who she is. Catharine de Azul is such a powerful vampire, indomitable and unbent among other vampires, just standing in the same room with her is enough to make him submit to whatever she wanted. But he knew Catharine is not the type of a vampire who craved for power, rather she is up to something not even him didn't know.

 

He cleared his throat a bit, Catharine already tilts her head to see him. "Hm, you're here." She turned away from the glass and looked at the man she is supposed to meet, "Shall we begin?" The vampire asked as she sat on a chair with a calm expression, the director nodded before he sat down as well. They discussed about the plans on the BBS's securities.

 

One of which is that they are losing their best agents, Taeyeon and her team, Victoria (who is still missing until now), and the whole team of half-bloods. They also discuss the crisis of not having much of vampire workers due to the oppression order created by the South Korean Government, Catharine is aware that some of the RHA soldiers killed and captured some of the vampire workers after a year that the government became aware of supernatural creatures. The vampire knew very well of what's happening in this world right now, compromising BBS is her plan but not like this.

 

"What about the sphere? What should we do about it?" The director asked her, unsure of what he will do about the dangerous thing even he couldn't get closer to it. The female vampire gazed her eyes back to the sphere, "Tighten up the security around it, make sure no one, not even RHA would go to that thing. I heard they created their own supernatural creatures themselves." Her look went back to the director. Her nonchalant expression has turned into an upsetting frowned one, "I know you're aware about it, Michael. We both know you were once an agent there."

 

The atmosphere quickly tensed up a bit as Catharine gave off her darken vibe, making the director cleared his throat again and loosen up his collar a bit, "Do not worry, Ms. Catharine. They won't be using those experiments on that matter." He responded. Catharine is still staring at him before she slowly got up from the chair, as well as the director. "If you'll excuse me, I will have to take care of some things from my office." He said to her before he bows at her and starts walking out of the room but Catharine stops him.

 

"I want you to reconsider the half-bloods from being traitors and remove the former 9th Division from KIA or MIA." She requested him. The director looked back at her with a disbelief look, "I'm afraid we can't do that, the half-bloods that the former director formed did heinous crimes--" he tried to explain but he got interrupted by Catharine's chilling tone of voice.

 

"What are these 'heinous' crimes they did, hm? Is there something you want to tell me?" 

 

The director loosened his collar a bit more with the tense atmosphere around them, "They... freed some highly dangerous criminals in an undisclosed location that BBS Security Department knows." He explained as he looked at her with a bit of worry. The director knows everything that is happening, getting rid of the half-bloods would make his problem less, but dealing with one of the strongest vampires ever existed is much more bigger than what he's dealing right now.

 

"I doubt that Bae Joohyun and her team won't be doing such a thing, they are the heroes who relinquished the greater threat to this world, and they never do such a thing like the one you mentioned." She told him, crossing her arms as she squinted at him a bit, "That is not the only thing... They are the ones involved with the destruction of the large part of the headquarters. We saw in one of the security cams that are still present during the explosion, Bae Joohyun and Kang Seulgi are the ones that was running to the exits." He explained more.

 

Catharine still doubts that her own daughter would do such a thing, not even her team would do it, they were Director Oh's favorites and they both know that they will never turn their backs on the ones who accepted them.

 

"And what do you mean removing the former 9th Division from MIA or KIA list?" She snapped out when the director asked her. "They came back..." Then she walked closer to him, "I know the former 9th Division has an unbendable guts, they planned to destroy all you have been working for two years and what have you done right now..." Her pair of ruby hues glows as he glared at him, "...you will regret it later on."

 

The director suddenly grew a spine and ignorantly stood still in front of her, "Just to tell you something, Ms. Catharine. You are a part of this whole plan of mine." He nonchalantly told her, knowing that Catharine did some parts of the compromising the Black Blood Society. However, Catharine didn't fazed and used her telekinesis to tighten the tie around the director.

 

He groaned a bit at how tight his tie strangling him, "I am only doing this for my own personal reasons and I never... not even a bit, became a part of your plan to destroy BBS from its roots." 

 

Then she let go of him and walks away from the briefing room, the director sighed easily as the vampire left the room. That vampire, I couldn't understand what are her intentions. He thought to himself before he starts walking out of the room as well.

 


 

 

A year ago...

 

The first gifted invited her daughter, Irene to come over for her at dinner just the two of them. Her daughter reluctantly accepted it and went to the mansion alone. The two had been off for years due to the fact that her daughter stops seeing her and avoided her whenever she comes to BBS, Irene never experienced getting a love from her mother ever since her dad passed away.

 

Irene was just sitting on a stool of the counter while she watches Catharine to cook for her, to others it is very unusual for Catharine to cook foods as she was never seen by anyone doing chores that only mother does. Only Irene knows what others doesn't, she had been living with her for 11 years since her father's funeral until she decided to move out when she got enough savings to live on her own at the age of 22.

 

"Since we rarely get a moment like this ever since you left, why don't you prepare the plates and utensils for our dinner, please?" Catharine told her softly while cutting some ingredients on the chopping board, the half-blood nodded silently and prepares the plates and the cutlery, she placed it gently on the table, facing it across each other as they had been used to sit on opposite chairs while having meals together.

 

After she finished cooking their dinner, Catharine placed the food on the table and Irene already sat on a chair across hers before they start eating. Joohyun gently yet slowly eats the food which tastes good, her mother rarely cooks food for anyone but she always anticipates to cook for her only daughter even though Catharine doesn't need human foods to survive but her child needed it. Catharine starts to talk about how this food she cooked came from and its origin, but Irene has no interest on listening to a long story of the food she cooked, it's always like this even before.

 

Irene breaks her silence when she asked her mother, "Why are you doing this?" With her voice in a bit of a cold way as she looked at her directly. "What is this all of a sudden?" She asked her again. Catharine smiles while munching her food, she swallowed it and starts talking. "Isn't it obvious? It's your birthday." She answered and starts scooping her food on the spoon, "It's not that I don't forget my only daughter's birthday forever." Catharine enjoys the food alone while her daughter doesn't, Irene frowns and answers back.

 

"My birthday was five days ago." 

 

She paused and glanced back at her with her brows raised, "Oh." Catharine uttered which Irene glared at her more. "Did you got busy pretending to be someone you're not? Or is it just you getting old mentally that you forgot your daughter's birthday?" She spat at Catharine as she gave her a straight face of disappointment. The mother frowned at what her daughter just said, "Bae Joohyun, you know I--" she tried to explained it to her but she got interrupted. "You invited me here just to eat dinner with you because you thought it was my birthday today but it was already five days ago. Now you're giving me excuses why you forget the important day for your daughter." Then she scoffs and looked away.

 

"Look, Joohyun, I'm trying to be a mother for you... just for this once." She softly told her, Irene shakes her head and disagree. "No, ever since I was born you never see me as your kid. You only see me as the one who can fulfill your predictions." Then she put down her spoon and fork on the plate and sighs, "You trained me to become who I am now, but I was never your gifted one... She did." She refers to Seohyun as the two already knows that she's the second gifted that Catharine had been looking for. "I never lived up to your expectations, even though I tried to be competent and be the leader of my team, you can still see me as a failure."

 

"That's not true, Joohyun, I--" Catharine argue but she got interrupted by Irene as she shouted in front of her, "Then what's not true?!" Joohyun bellowed as her eyes starts to glow under her black contacts. "That I was born first than her?! That you assumed that I will be the second gifted?! That you thought I could do things that real vampires like you do!? Tell me!"

 

"Because you are the only family I have!" The vampire bawled, making the glass window shatter around them, Catharine's red hues glows as the other has. She often regrets training and raising her daughter upon her father's death as she has been standing still in front of her now, she made her stronger but makes her hate her own mother in the process. "I know I made mistakes... I know that you should be in a better life that you want, Joohyun." Her expression soften and looked down. But Joohyun being naive, she shakes her head again and refusing to accept what her mother said to her, "You never treat me like a family, but Seohyun and my team... they made a family I could ever have." then she drops everything even her half-eaten meal on the table.

 

Irene fixed her bag and stands up from the chair, "I'm going." She muttered and starts walking past her mother who is still in shock after a disastrous argument she had with her. "Joohyun, please." She caught her wrist as she looked at the half-blood, they stare at each other for a few moments. Memories of them being together were Irene's hell and Catharine's blessing. Not even once she asked her to lay low and enjoy something with her. "Whenever I look at those eyes, it only reminds me of how monstrous your blood is coursing through my veins." She took one last glance towards her mother and removed her hand from her before she completely walks out of the mansion. 

 

Catharine looked down to see a small gift that she hid on her lap for her daughter, eventually she gritted her teeth as she tries to hold back her tears but what she had done to her daughter just to fulfill the prediction, the prophecy. She never looked at her as her daughter, not even once she had time for themselves, to enjoy something together. She felt her heart throbbing hard as it aches, the feeling of being hated by her own flesh and blood. She sighed and leans back against the chair and muttered, "Did I fail... as mother?" She bit her lip and shut her eyes as she couldn't hold back her tears and bursts in tears on the table...

 

 

Catharine went back to her mansion, she got out of the car that the chauffeur parked in front of the entrance of her home through the driveway. In front of the entrance, Vivian and Hyojeon are waiting for her. She went inside the mansion following by the two, "Could you tell me what's new today?" She asked the two subordinates behind her. Her heels clacked against the marbled floor as she went up to the staircase. "There's an explosion occurred in the Bunmyeong port, south of the headquarters and all of supposed bioweapons under the fort were gone." Hyojeon told her the news that happened 30 minutes ago while the vampire is on her way home.

 

Hyojeon became the most loyal member of Catharine's schemes, she had trained her to improve her fighting skills and became her shadow. She grew more and more stronger as the oppression of the humans against supernatural creatures like them grows rampant in the country, Vivian used Hyojeon whenever they have some contracts to kill and to improve not just her combat skills, but also her stealthiness during her mission alone. Vivian showed her how her former family, the former 9th Division, couldn't keep their promise on her.

 

It fuels nothing but hatred inside Hyojeon and only hatred, drives her to continue living but under Blue Hawk's wings. Hyojeon supressed all her emotions and her feelings towards anyone, this is why Vivian liked her to be her accomplice for years. She was intrigued to be her partner in protecting Catharine.

 

"Do they know who did it?" The vampire asked as they walked inside her office, Vivian quickly covers the window with a pair of curtains as the situation escalated in the news. Catharine tries to keep her professional look towards her subordinates but a wave of emotions are hurdling all over her mind as she went to her desk and opened her laptop. "They say there are rebelled vampires in the vicinity of the base, they are strong even though they are just four of them." Vivian answered and Catharine browses her laptop and saw the footage of the explosion.

 

A soft gasp heard from Hyojeon as she is touching her earpiece, listening to a report coming from Gakku Fort. She walked closer to Catharine, "This just in, the armory of the Gakku Fort got rigged too." She told them which made the vampire's eyes widen. "They identified the fugitives wearing Burgundy cloaks and masked plague doctors." She added before looking at Vivian who is not surprised with the attack but she clicked her tongue, "I knew Michael would fail." the blonde woman commented before looking at Catharine.

 

The vampire touches her temples as she doesn't know what to do, the feeling of guilt and regret surging through the vampire's mind. It was very rare to see Catharine lacking of enthusiasm, very lethargic to say at least. But for Vivian, it was her first time seeing her being like this. Showing her weakness towards her subordinates is a big no-no, but Catharine couldn't hold her emotions any further. All the mistakes she had done, it's all coming back to her.

 

She sighed and stands up from the chair and starts walking to the door, "Catharine?" Hyojeon as she looked at the unwell vampire. "We should be facing them off, right?" She asked her but Catharine tilted her head a bit. "I... don't know."

 

Vivian smirked.

 

A hand suddenly was shoved into her diaphragm, her eyes widen and looked at Vivian. "W-What--" Catharine groans and grabs the blonde woman's arm that is still stuck into her but slowly her strength is depleting, "Vivian...?" She is absorbing her strength and her powers. Vivian only gave her a devilish smile and uttered her final words as her trusted friend. "You forgot what I told you, my friend... If you show your weakness to the enemies, you will be lose easily." She grinned darkly as she once she absorbed all her powers and strength, she pulled away her hand from her and the vampire fell on the ground... unconscious.

 

Vivian looked down at the unconscious vampire, "You rely on me too much you didn't see that I had planned it all along, BoA and Hyuna did their part for me to step in, the government noticing the presence of the supernaturals, RHA corrupting BBS, making this country worst." She monologues as she walked over the vampire's desk then she looked over to the hybrid. "But that is only just a beginning. Soon it will be the whole world will turn into chaos."

 

Hyojeon just stood there and witnessed what happened, but she didn't get surprised, rather she looked at Catharine's unconscious body on the floor. Then her gaze went to Vivian who relishes the power of the first gifted into her body, she hummed happily but in a twisted way. "Catharine doesn't know how she use her powers properly, I never imagined I would be getting stronger by just stealing her power." She told Hyojeon before walking closer to her, "What happens now?" The hybrid asked her as she walks closer.

 

Dark aura start to emerge from Vivian's body, she slowly engulfing herself with darkness until it dispersed. Showing her long ebony hair flowing in the air, her fair skin had turned into a grayish skin tone, her dark orbs turned into a yellow-red hues, her outfit became a simple midnight purple straight gown with its end being faded and sashes flowing in the air as her silky hair does. She turned to Hyojeon and smirks, "Let's make this prophecy happen, shall we?"

 

"I will gather them for you, Vivian." She told her but the other shook her head. "Call me Eris, darling." 

 

---

 

daaamn! Vivian is sus-- ehem I mean Eris! >:0

 <<<< This is the real form of Vivian, if you watched Sinbad and The Seven Seas-- I depicted her to this goddess but with less of her traits tho hehe

Hyojeon is alive but she had changed completely thanks to Vivian tho. Now what will be Seohyun's reaction when they knew Hyojeon is alive all along and helped Vivian in her plans?

And I started to feel sorry for Catharine for making mistakes towards Irene. :(((

Things are getting interesting! Is it the time to put all this to end? So far there's no response from Victoria and the others, where are they? :<

Anyway! Wait for the next chapter!

Stay tuned guys!