11: A Picture of Sadness

Living as a Vampire III

 HYOJEON

   "Who took all the frozen meat in the freezer?!" I just heard Sooyoung eonnie's voice from here, making me to got up from my bed. Before I could got out of my room, I saw dry blood stains in my sleeves, I forgot to change clothes last night.

 

  I walked on the closet and change my clothes, I saw my wounds quickly healed, thanks to Seohyun eonnie. As I got out of the room, I saw all of my eonnies (except Jessica eonnie) were looking curious of the missing frozen meat inside the fridge. Honestly, I ate them. My eating habit had changed too, I can't eat my favorite vegetable salad last few days.

 

  "Okay, we have to eat vegetables for the whole week!" Taeyeon eonnie announced, making us to look at her in a shocking way. "What?" Me and Sooyoung eonnie answered in unison.

 

  "Why Hyojeon? Don't you like to eat vegetables?" Yoona eonnie asked, "O-Of course, I love vegetables. I'm a vegetarian." I lied with a smile. "For me, I'm into beef actually but I bought 2 two packs of beef jerky yesterday and then it was all gone." Tiffany eonnie grumbled and pouted.

 

  I gulped as I repeat what Taeyeon eonnie said...

 

  We have to eat vegetables for the whole week.

 

  Damn! How can I hold myself from eating meat? All of my eonnie know that I'm one of the people who really love to eat vegetables, what would I do now? 

 

  Few while later, some of my eonnies went to their schedules while Stephanie eonnie and Yoona eonnie were staying inside the apartment. I went to Stephanie eonnie's room where she was playing PS4 alone, before I could knock the door she says: "Come in, kid." Then I went inside.

 

  "Playing Tomb Raider again?" I said.

 

  "You know my favorite." She smirked then she paused the game and look to me, "So, why did you come here?" She asked.

 

  I took a deep breath and look to her straight, "You know, I was wondering..." I paused, "Can I drop out of my school?" I asked her. At first she look to me like an inspector but then she snorted, "Don't tell me you gave up studying." She duessed but I shook my head. "It's not about that, eonnie. I have..." I scratched my nape, "...someone who's planning to kill me." I answered.

 

  "You hacked the grading systems, don't you?" 

 

  "No!" I groaned, "Someone was trying to kill me, literally!" I repeated. "That's why I have to drop out. Though I like studying but it's urgent."

 

  She smirked, "Well, ask your Shorty eonnie later. I'm not in the authority to agree with it." Then she continue to play video game.

 


 

 

CATHARINE

  I sighed while sitting in a comfortable couch, waiting for this 9th division commander the director is talking about. He put a cup of hot coffee in front of me, a soothing aroma is very delightful to drink, "You must've been exhausted of waiting for her, so here, have some coffee first." He smiled.

 

  I smiled back and took a small sip in the cup, "French coffee." I guessed what type of coffee he made. "My favorite coffee drink since I was a college boy, Ms. de Azul." He told. "Please, just call me Catharine." I said with a grin.

 

  "Right, Ms. Catharine." He chuckled, "I have to tell you something about rivalry."

 

  "Go on, help yourself." I said, letting him to say a word. He took a deep breath then looking at the window behind me, "We had this rivalry between this agency of human hunters, they have found the most dangerous creature they were looking for and she was working with us."

 

  He took a folder on his desk and gave it to me, as I opened the folder, I know who she was. "The agency wants her dead by now, but they don't have any evidences that she is indeed a dangerous monster. We tried to stated to them that she is not dangerous at all, we even defended her but the agency shrugged it off."

 

  As he finished telling the issue, I closed the folder and put it down on the coffee table. "A person is not a monster by it's own speculations, unless... it shows any kinds of peculiar actions." I quoted, "You had a great job defending the right, Director Oh." I complimented.

 

  "That's what the BBS do, protecting the weak." He said, making me grinned. "Do me a favor, if you would like to, Director Oh." I said, "What is your favor then?"

 

  "I want some informations about Kim Hyojeon, from where she was born and lived before she moved here." I favored. "Of course, Ms. Catharine." He answered.

 

  "Director Oh, Commander Kim is here." The secretary announced, then she move aside as Taeyeon walked in with a serious expression. "Good to see you here, Commander Kim." Director Oh greeted with a small smile.

 

  I grin as Taeyeon looked to me, "So you are the 9th Division Commander, Kim Taeyeon." I greeted and stood in front of her and lend a hand shake. It has been a long time since I saw her face again, that has been so long that I can't even remember. We stared each others' eyes for a few seconds then, Taeyeon smirked and took a hand shake. "You are Catharine de Azul, the Leader of Blue Hawks." She greeted.

 

  Still the same aloof woman, with silky black hair, those dark grey eyes reminds me of how beautiful she was when I last saw her. She brilliantly lead her family here, I have missed her... Don't she missed me?

 


 

  "I'm sorry, what?" She said and try to repeat what the director said, "Are you willing to accept the offer of Ms. Catharine to help you with your missions?" he asked and adjusted his eyeglasses.

 

  She sighed and looked to me, "It depends, Director." she answered, "I don't trust a person quickly and I'm not easily be fooled by anyone else. If they are eager to help us, they should be willing and wholeheartedly help us." then she shot a glare to me. "And that is what we called collaboration." she quoted.

 

  I smirked and crossed my legs, "Well, the Blue Hawks are eager to help you, Ms. Kim. That's why we volunteered to collaborate with you." I said in a bit sarcasm. She showed a bit of annoyance in her face then looked away, still the same old grumpy Taeyeon. "I didn't know you are stubborn, Ms. Kim." I commented with a chuckle.

 

  "I didn't know you are sarcastically prideful, Ms. Catharine." She talked back with a grin.

 

  "So, Ms. Catharine and Kim Taeyeon, you will be collaborate with each other." Director Oh gave his best smile, "That is settled. Now, you can go." then he winced at me. "Thank you for visiting, Ms. Catharine. I enjoy talking with you." I smiled, "So as I, Mr. Oh." then the two of us went out of the director's office.

 

  As soon as we got outside, Taeyeon didn't continue to walk then tilted her head to look at me. "What's seems to be the problem, Ms. Kim?" I asked innocently to her, I saw her fist clenched, "Stop trying to be innocent, Catharine." she muttered. "How long did you hide yourself from us?"

 

  "Long time, a very long time." I answered, "So you didn't find us after you faked your death, to escape yourself from the Volturi?" she said with a glare again. "We are the ones who buried your body under the ground, we even built a grave stone and now you showed yourself to us just to knew that you are alive."

 

  Good thing, I still have patience with this little woman. "Taeyeon, you should not misunderstood what I did long time ago." I dared myself to touch her shoulder but I can feel the aura of anger inside her, "I did that to save all of you."

 

  But she scoffed, "That's what we thought after you died, you save us all." she said in disbelief.

 

  "If you think I'm selfish ever since you knew me, I should've run away and leave you there to die." I said, "Then what happened after you died, huh? We were trying to run away from the Volturi after that. We all moved from Florence, to Paris, to America and to South Korea, just to hide from them and find the last gifted you were telling me." She said.

 

  "I have been in the grave for decades, Taeyeon. As I dug myself out, everything was changed, I went back to the mansion where we lived and there's nothing but white cloth draped on the furnitures. That's the time I knew that you left ten years ago." I told her about what happened to me, "Stabbing in the heart won't kill a vampire, but it will hybernate you for a decade."

 

  She shook her head in dissaprovement, "Where were you after that ten years, Catharine?" She moved closer. "Where were you after that?" Then we had a moment of silence...

 

  I looked down but quickly looked to her, "I sold the mansion. I traveled from town to town just to earn money. I became a baker. I became a teacher. I became a factory worker. I became a jeweler. I struggled so much until I can't take it anymore but to drink people's blood."

 

  "You and the others had a beautiful life when you left, you can eat whatever you want, you can do anything and everything just to make your life beautiful. While me, on the other hand, I struggled so much to live my second life, being poor woman and don't have any shelter to live."

 

  I can see tears were building up in her eyes, "You know how much pain you gave us when you risk your life. You know how much pain you gave to Yoona after that." I stopped as I heard her name. "She changed, Catharine. Now she's with Seohyun and trying herself to forget you. Because she knew you are dead. Already dead."

 

  Yoona was trying to forget me? Because she knew that I'm already dead?

 

  "You had very big differences between Seohyun." Now she's comparing me to Joohyun, "She is the last gifted, you say. Well, she's very different than you."

 


 

 

SEOHYUN

 

  "Jonghyun!"

 

  I called my little brother's name in the winter night, I was wearing a light blue puffer coat and a small pair of boots. My mom and dad were in their trip. Aunt Minyoung will take care of us until our parents came back.

 

  I was only 9 years old while Jonghyun was 4 minutes younger than me, we were twins. I took all my responsibility to take care of him, because I love having a brother. I love Jonghyun more than anyone.

 

  Now, I was shivering but I still didn't find him. "Jonghyun! Where are you?!" I yelled again, but I heard was just the breeze of the wind. I was worried and scared of what will happen to him.

 

  Until I saw two figures sitting in a bench in the distance under the light. I took more steps forward and narrowed my eyes to see clearly the two figures. I saw him, talking with a tall woman beside him. I sighed and the same time, smiled as I found him.

 

  "Jonghyun!" I ran forward and him. He smiled and stood up, "Noona!" He ran and hugged me. "I was so worried, Jonghyun. I though something happened to you." I said, he giggled, "Nothing's happened, Noona. I just lost and I talked with ahjumma..." he pointed to the tall woman.

 

  "Oh Jonghyun, I said don't call me ahjumma." The tall woman said, I looked to her, her hair were colored as orange, her eyes were weird... like it was different than the other people's eyes, it was dark red. She's really beautiful.

 

  "Thank you for having time with my little brother, uhh... what is your name, eonnie?" I said.

 

  She smiled, "My name is Cathy."

 

  "Cathy? Are you an American, eonnie?" I asked her, "No, I'm not. I was born here too." She answered. Then a cold breeze went wild and it shivered me again, I forgot to wear a scarf. "Such a cold wind." Cathy eonnie commented.

 

  "Noona, are you okay? You looked shivering." Jonghyun noticed. My hands were shaking because of the coldness of the winter, "I-I'm fine, Jonghyun." I said with a smile.

 

  Cathy eonnie walked forward, "Here," she removed her purple scarf and put it over my neck, "Wear mine. So that it will prevent you from having cold." She said. Her scarf smells like lavender. "Don't you feel cold, Cathy noona?" Jonghyun asked her, she chuckled and patted his hair, "Big girls can hold the cold." She quoted with a smile.

 

  "Thank you, eonnie." I smiled. "I hope I can get this scarf back to you."

 

  "It's okay, it's yours now." She said, I shook my head, "No, eonnie. It belongs to you, so I have to return it to you after." I refuse. She grinned, "What a humble girl you are." She complimented.

 

  Then Jonghyun nodged my sleeve, "Noona, we have to go. Aunt Minyoung would be worried of us." He said. I blinked my eyes as I realized that I was trying to find Jonghyun for dinner. "Uh, I forgot that we are having a dinner! So I started to call you!" I pouted, then he hugged me, "I'm sorry, noona. I was just playing outside." he said.

 

  I looked to the tall woman behind us, "You can come with me for our dinner tonight, eonnie." I invited her. "Oh, thanks, but I have something important to do." she answered. That's when Jonghyun and I groan, "Aww, please?" we begged. She sighed and lowered her body to have the same level as mine, "I'm sorry but I cannot join with you for your dinner." she said.

 

  I frowned as she refused, she noticed quickly my expression, making her to smile again. "I may not join with you..." she moved her hand and poked my forehead, "... you must promise me to return my scarf as we meet again, hm?"

 

  That makes me smile, "I promise, eonnie."

 

  "So," she stood up, "I'm glad that we had a time to talk, Joohyun and Jonghyun."

 

  "How did you know my name, eonnie?" I asked her before she walked in the opposite way, "Your little brother told me." she answered and waved her hand as a sign of goodbye. "Goodbye, noona!" Jonghyun stretch out his hand and waved, "Goodbye, eonnie!" I did the same as well.

 

  As we walked our way to out house, Jonghyun pulled my sleeve again, "What?" I looked to him. "Cathy noona is so pretty, you know that?" he said, "Yeah, and she was generous as well." I added as I agree with him. Then I looked to the purple scarf she gave me, I smiled without knowing it. When will I meet her again? She sounded like I will not see her again.

 

  I opened my eyes and I can feel dried tears all over my face, Yoona was hugging my tummy while she's sleeping. I slowly remove her arms around me and not to wake her up. I got up of the bed and wiped the tears away from my eyes, was I crying while sleeping? Possibly, I was. 

 

  I walked to my closet and looking for a thing, then I found a picture of my twin little brother and me. We were only 10 when he died, as I stare at the picture. My tears were flowing out of my eyes, I bit my lip and crying silently on the floor.

 

  The whole 10 years with them, I never felt more happiness. Something has been missing and I don't know why.

 

 

---

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL MY LOVELY READERS THERE! I have some very good news for you! I'll be creating a blog which you can read some of your favorite characters' information from the book 1 to 3. And please be patient cuz it will be a slow progress.

Stay tuned!